By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How the crisis in container ships could ruin Christmas
22/08/2021 10:04:39

Made me think of a much more important problem. When the oil runs out how will we lubricate out treadle lathes? Won't be able to fall back on the traditional lard as the Greenies will have banned animals. Is palm oil any good? Maybe I can grow enough sunflowers to meet my needs.

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
20/08/2021 00:43:31

Nice one Derek. After spending an hour stationary on the M25 this evening I wish more of the dunderheads would stick to cycles instead of cars.

NDIY have you got any peas to give her - if she doesn't know what to do tell her they are just a fat variety of beans.

It is amazing how many people don't know what we think of as common knowledge. A few years ago I witnessed my neighbour's visiting mother who had been sent down the garden to sort out the bonfire pile trying to light the corner of the neatly folded complete copy of the Guardian.

Thread: Not One but Two Odd items!
17/08/2021 23:45:00

The top one has no air inlet so intended to burn with a yellow flame for light not heat, and the handle is too fancy for a basic tradesman's tool. Your decorator isn't going to turn up and ask to plug into the gas fire to do the wallpaper stripping. The teeth are not sharp and would be steel if needed to do real work.
Is it for gas and not air or water?

Thread: What features do you like to see in Youtube videos.
17/08/2021 23:21:42

To add to SOD's comments remember that if you are male and over 25 the ONLY person who wants to see a picture of you is your mother and she doesn't watch machining videos.
Don't make a video every week and post a link on every machining forum, or any forum. If it is really worth watching someone else will recommend it.
I know how to drill a hole so don't need to see that, let alone ten in real time. Ditto facing off and 99% of what you were going to show so probably your videos should be 10 seconds or less.

If you do feel your video needs a human talking to camera write a proper script then find a nice local wannabe actress and have her present it to add to her CV. It's ok to post that video on here.laugh

Thread: hi new here from ely
17/08/2021 23:04:31

If you create a group, club or society make sure you call it "ELY MODEL ENGINEERING ......." so that search engines and people can find it. It is a really bad idea to call it after some local pub/park/landmark or gimmicky name so it isn't obvious where it is.

Find your local Model Railway clubs, Men's Shed, Makers, wood turners and carvers clubs, U3A, etc and let them know. Even have a word with the vicars of all the churches in range to let them know as they will have lots of contacts in their community.

Edit: The Exeter and District MES, EDMES, got initial publicity just by mentioning on here that they were starting with a meeting. Whoops, there I go again giving EDMES some publicity. 

Edited By Bazyle on 17/08/2021 23:07:43

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
13/08/2021 23:09:34

First meeting in person this evening of the Exeter and District MES for quite some time, though the track laying team have been in action for months.
A couple of evenings ago St Albans also had their first face to face meeting too with a good turn out of members and models made over the last 18 months. However the club is continuing with two zoom meetings a month to keep everyone in touch.

Thread: 'Negative' PCBs - how?
11/08/2021 01:01:01

The pcb is translucent especially if you are using UV light.

Thread: Sort of ... ???
09/08/2021 23:19:09

I thought someone would come back to confirm the type of Landrover.

Bill this is just a pet peeve of mine. if you had titled the whole post "Steam powered Landrover video" it would clarify the subject and search engine friendly all in one go, Even better is to advise to skip drivel and adverts in first 4 minutes.

09/08/2021 18:49:42

Please say what the video is about rather than just posting a link so people don't waste time if they are not interested in the subject.

This is a wannabe top gear presenter visiting a genuine model engineer who has trashed a series 2? Landrover and put a Foden style steam plant in it. He has a nice big colchester lathe but no details of the engine are given.

Thread: Colchester Student on sale Saturday 7th August
06/08/2021 22:48:05

I think lot 443 will go for more!. What happens at thee sales? Half the lots aren't even worth the scrapman's petrol so do they just leave it as the estate's problem to clear?

Thread: The shed may not be dead!
06/08/2021 19:23:24

The last 18 months has seen a significant hiking of prices of lathes etc on ebay, even allowing for the garage traders with gold plated Myfords for sale, though on top of that there is a seasonal variation in availability and price anyway.
The vintage vehicle section of the agricultural show I am attending next week has seen a major increase in the number of restored car entries. Trouble is that a hint of rain and they don't want to take them out of the garage.

Thread: pH electrodes [advice requested]
06/08/2021 19:02:32

I don't remember the details from my A-level chemistry half a century ago but suspect it is to do with the use of high purity rare elements on the electrodes, perhaps plated on, that dissolve during the measurement which involves an electrochemical reaction. Possibly a less pure version is adequate for home use.

Thread: Use Chequer (Tread) Plate as Roofing Sheet?
04/08/2021 21:47:23

Chequer plate has to be more expensive that just plain flat aluminium sheet. Or corrugated iron, or flat galvanised sheet.. Appropriate roofing sheet has the advantage of additional strength over flat sheet. Best of all, and still probably cheaper than chequer is insulated two layer roofing sheets with say 4in thick.

Thread: Visiting other clubs
04/08/2021 21:22:16

Clubs mostly have a specific event day each year for inviting other clubs and individuals to keep such engine owners separate from regular public running days. Otherwise there is a problem in them getting access to the track. However it is generally possible to also just turn up if things aren't busy. If you haven't been able to let them know in advance (which may be necessary for insurance reasons) be sure on arrival to seek out a committee member or officer of the day who can sign you in and maybe assign someone to guide you around. I find that being able to introduce myself as a committee member of a couple of other clubs helps them to understand how to relate to me.

Thread: Yet another scam
01/08/2021 18:59:19

If you have bought anything, perhaps a 3D printer from Havanny.com 4c Ruskin Rd, London and not received the goods be aware it has just been revealed on the G13D forum as a scam to harvest credit card details. Took £3k off someone but he had smelled a rat and already alerted the credit card company several weeks earlier who had refused to take any action. More fool them as they had to refund the loss.

01/08/2021 17:02:55

Today's scam is a beauty. From zimmerb6453@gmail.com it starts "Dear respected user...." purporting to be from VirginMedia about ending your email account. Except they have sent it to all VirginMedia employee corporate email accounts. Pity the IT department who who will get 2000 phishing reports on Monday morning when the staff log in.

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 Tailstock Issue
29/07/2021 18:46:29

Is the hole still open all the way through and not got something stuck down it?

Check the fit of the key that stops it rotating, it might be a burr where it was snatched during drilling at some time.
Then try a bit of allthread down it as it is a standard thread.
A regular tap isn't going to be very long so you will need to invent a small diameter extended holder - perhaps cut a screwdriver slot in the end.

Thread: ME back numbers for disposal
28/07/2021 16:54:34

As soon as you put a gap in the run by parting with one volume you halve the usefulness of the remainder. I avoided saying value there as that is debateable, except to a garage trader who would claim the effort of picking them up is more than the tenner he would offer you. The best thing is usually to offer them to local Model Engineering clubs, followed by Men's Sheds, Model Railway clubs, Scouts.

Thread: Boxford BUD Tool Post
27/07/2021 17:43:55

I have a Myford size QCTP on my Boxford and it is really too small as in 1/4 in low so sits on a plate. The advantage is that the holders are cheaper than proper Boxford sized one.
An additional problem we keep seeing with new lathe owners rushing out to get a QCTP is that they then think they have to use the largest tool bits they can squeeze into the gap. In fact a Boxford never needs to use larger than 1/4 in though you can sometimes fit 3/8in. Think small - it's cheaper.

Thread: AA batteries
27/07/2021 00:42:18

Scrunched up heavy tinfoil eg from pie case.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest