By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: think tank
27/01/2012 23:54:28
The forum is 'immediate' and somewhat ephemeral while the magazine is 'long term'. I think the really good stuff needs distilling into an article in itself so that it is still available in 10-50 years.
Who knows a computer glitch or 'saving disc space' could wipe the lot in 5 years.
Thread: Storage of taps, dies, slot drills and end mills
26/01/2012 23:31:36
Crayons etc often come in boxes with plastic trays or in plastic wallets that are about the size for taps. I have one annoyingly still full of wax sticks. So I make mini plastic tool rolls with individual pockets for each tap by simply stapling along the seams and have incorporated a paper list of the sizes under another layer of plastic.

Thread: Lathe turns convex
25/01/2012 20:06:02
As the tri-leva is not a V bed I would first suspect that the saddle is loose and twisted, or a bit of swarf has got in to missalign it. Next the same for the cross slide. Perhaps during the moving process it got jiggled around enough for this, or perhaps it happened to the last owner ages ago and they didn't do the sort of work to notice.

Edited By David Clark 1 on 25/01/2012 20:27:40

Thread: Beginners first simple clock kit / plans
24/01/2012 14:00:47
John Wilding Egg Timer and its development the Beginner's Clock. Google takes you to the bookshop Russel mentioned and CES do a materials kit.
Not built it yet but I got the materials kit yonks ago when it was serialised. I think as it is very open plan the clock can get to something working then add minute hand and strike later.
Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition
24/01/2012 00:37:34
Well that explains the crowd at that part of the stand then, 2 deep when I went by.
What we need is a special feature on here at end of day 1 to say what not to miss. Same with Sandown I didn't read the show thread until after I came back. Doh.
Next one Bristol?
Thread: Making your own case hardening compound.
23/01/2012 21:06:29
Chalk. CaCo3 Probably mostly as a binder but in heating it gives off CO2 which can keep oxygen away from the surface. If it has been partly 'burnt' the CaO produced might help bind the mix if fresh.
And I think it is bone charcoal so that there are no stray acids from the wood burning. Now I think of it the calcium connection there might be what gave them the idea of adding chalk.
You could probably try adding anything that might be lying around in a 19th century workshop. Honey decomposes via sugar to carbon.

Edited By Bazyle on 23/01/2012 21:23:18

23/01/2012 09:01:14
Chris, I'm afraid DC1 wasn't the only one. For the slow witted amongst us please wear a hat with a flashing beacon next time.
The boating forum Modelboatmayhem sometimes suggests people make themselves a forum logo badge for mutual recognition and most people from there now know to congregate at Steamboatphil's stand. (the one with the flash steam straight runners)
22/01/2012 22:25:59
Actually the food was cheaper than my local pub, coffee cheaper than my work canteen, and both an absolute bargain compared to the little bits of metal I went home with. (should have nicked the cutlery and hammered it to shape)
True about the lack of clocks, must finish mine for next year. Might need to copy the one on the West London stand (thanks for being there guys) with wooden plates instead of brass so I can afford next year's lunch.
I hope the people above will still go to shows as a chance to see models, get more tools, and talk to the club stand personnel who are always friendly and put in a lot of work so they can tell you about the things on the stand or just have a chat about the hobby.
Thread: New 'retro' lathe by Warco
22/01/2012 20:08:45
There are occasional comments about possible lack of low speed torque from the new style variable speed lathes and high minimum speed from the belt drive versions. So this might be of interest.
At the AP show Warco had a 'new' lathe with back gear. Standing out in darker green (wrong paint by mfr implying a different factory from normal) it was about the same size as the geared head lathes but has back gear, T-slotted slide, norton style box instead of knobs. Looks like they have been listening to the comments on here!
Unfortunately I didn't register details as I expected to find it on their website but it isn't there yet.
22/01/2012 19:21:00
Allowing for breakfast and lunch and some time sitting down I needed at least 6 hours at LMEE due to in part to having given a lift to someone to Sandown. He had got round in 2 hours whereas I would have liked 2 more. Moral: only pair up with people of similar exhibition behaviour to your own.
LMEE seemed to have many more clubs & traders (though some stalwarts missing) but no competition so no 'center of excellence' however apart from that when people enthuse about Sandown I wonder if they have ever been to another show.
Greatly disappointed that with heaps of boat models neither show can muster more than a couple of related traders.
The hayday of shows was the ME at Olympiaetc in the 90's but it has been pointed out on another thread that shows are closely linked with magazines and back then MAP ran the show for their big stable of titles.
Thread: Milling a semicircular groove, ball ended cutter, or?
20/01/2012 13:50:37
Could you make additional mating parts in the corresponding material to use during the drilling?
Thread: MEW 186, Best ever issue
20/01/2012 13:29:35
The success of MEW as well as ME shows the community is as interested in making machines as in making models. However operating them is not a popular subject. Would ME print "I drove my Loco round the track and put a big lump of coal on the fire and a little lump and a square lump....".
Gcode is the equivalent of that or "chuck a piece of brass and drill 1/8 then open out to 1/4" which is not that exciting to read and pointless if the drawing is clear. What makes LBSC's and some other author's articles so good is the bits of advice that are not obvious on the drawing and the snippets of remenicenses from their life.
Thread: Alba 1A Shaper Graduated Dials?
19/01/2012 19:29:24
The Boxford tailstock screw is 12tpi so I have thought of a 42 division dial but since the usual adjustment is a 'tad' or 'smidgin' why get obsessed with a subdivision of a distance that was imprecisely chosen a few centuries ago.
If it is reasonable to divide a foot by 12 then the next division is logically 6 or 12, or some multiple thereof so 42 is on the cards for the next stage.
Anyway counting in base 10 is just a passing fad of a couple of thousand years and we will revert to base 60 again in time.

Thread: Milling a curved end
18/01/2012 15:11:23
My only tutor was ME
By thumb through I meant read thoroughly. The pre 1950 may be a bit thin but I enjoyed reading all of the content as often there is some wisdom burried in the build articles. I am hanging on to my copies so when my memory cells die off I can enjoy reading them afresh.
18/01/2012 11:00:27
With appologies for being too basic but I wonder if everyone knows the way to file a curve. Rather than try to make the file follow round the curve you must do the opposite.
So with the hole in your connecting rod going left to right and the curve uppermost like a hill in front of you start with the file horizontal and gradually through the stroke drop the handle so the file ends almost vertical. Instead of being like a car going over a bridge it is like a plane taking off.

It is well worth getting old MEs from the '60s onwards when someone is having a clearout and thumbing through them while watching tv as all this stuff is in there.
Thread: Grayson Lathe
17/01/2012 11:17:47
Scales! next you'll be asking someone to invent a measuring system where everything is subdivided by factors of 10 so you can count on your fingers

I recall a mention in an old ME, probably by Tubal Cain or the like about lathes without scales. The way to work is with a piece of chalk to mark the top of the flange then you can wind out X turns when needed and wind back in to exactly the same setting. Since people used to work to 64th and 128th not thou (which is why leadscrews are 8 tpi not 10) it is easy to estimate 1/8 th or 1/16 th of a turn from the chalk to put on a cut having measured the diameter of the work using calipers held up to a rule probably only showing 64ths.
Once you have carefully measured and cut a diameter at say 1/2 inch you only have to mark the setting and everything else smaller is relative to that as eg X turns plus 3/8 turn. Bit like using a dividing head.

Thread: Turning very thin bar
16/01/2012 18:43:43
I have had another thought on this one.
Place a support bar in rear toolpost or equivalent packing, possibly with horizontal groove at the end.
Move in to touch the work.
Rotate topslide to be parallel to cross slide.
Position tool just ahead of this bar and advance the toplide so the tool touches the work.
Move the saddle to clear the tool from the work and retract cross slide by 1 thou (towards you) so the bar comes 1 thou closer to centerline.
Advance the topslide by 1 thou to compensate for the cross slide movement and another thou for the cut.
For each pass the topslide is moved double the support bar movement so they stay in sync wrt the centerline.
It is basicly an easily and finely adjustable travelling steady made from what you already have on the lathe.
The support bar could have a rolling bearing on the end so it could be made easily out of a single point knurling tool.
Thread: ME Shows
16/01/2012 02:11:18
Arc are demonstrating that they are modifying their behaviour to improve their efficiency. This is what is required to make shows worthwhile for them and other s may need to do the same.
At the end of some shows one can see examples - eg one trader is taking books off shelves and packing them in boxes, then lugging the boxes out 2 at a time before unscrewing the bookcase and packing it on top. Another has thought it through and tips the customised bookcase on its back on a trolley, puts another on top and they clip together etc so the equivalent of 20 boxes goes out the door in five minutes with no effort.
Efficient traders make their storage boxes work as display cases and for transport , so no trans-shipment - hey that's a lesson the GWR accepted on 23 May 1892 but some people still want to run a stopping goods train in the era of the container.
Our club used to need a van and several cars to get a team to the ME show to take an hour to screw the stand together, plus we had the expense of storing the complex stand throughout the year. A rethink and new tables take one man minutes to carry, flip out the legs, thow over cloth and job done ready for models.
I have spent the weekend at a show. We packed up in 20 minutes from shutdown without any rush but that was due to not moving my car closer. Some traders were whizzing past with a trolley and filled a Transit in the same time. However I have no doubt other people were faffing around until 8pm.

The final message is - evolution.

15/01/2012 23:43:46
As with most industry nowadays managers need to analyse their operations. Any trader taking 8 days to service a 3 day show will fail in any business. Apart from obvious difficulties with heavy machines most well designed stands could be packed in a couple of hours and I have seen even lathe/mill vendors do just that in the past from Olympia. Loading access is hopeless at some venues which is a problem.

Travelling costs can only get worse so the organisers need to provide better value for remote customers and attract more locals with diversity as was the case 10-15 years ago at Olympia and Wembley.

One organiser runs a show for model engineering one weekend, then for boats another weekend, and something else again on another weekend. 3 tickets and 3 sets of travel costs loses all my custom but one show 3 times the size might be worth my time.
Thread: Soldering Hearth
11/01/2012 12:15:04
Once you have a hearth you may need to prop up bits being worked on. Years ago an article suggested the ceramic elements from broken gas fires.for this. The knobbly bits on them are good for supporting od shapes.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest