By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machine Lamp Recommendation?
04/09/2021 20:31:37

If you have a shelf above and behind as so many do just get a kitchen over counter/under cupboard LED strip light next time they appear in Lidl. In fact get 2. You can put the second on a batten that hinges on the shelf perhaps as a parallel motion arrangement to pull out over the lathe when more light is needed.
Spruce the area up with white paint to reflect more light to get an overall directionless illumination.

Thread: Disposal of swarf
04/09/2021 15:51:03

I take anything with metal I can get from neighbours to a group of people with learning difficulties who pull it apart to recover the metal. It is both occupational therapy and gives them a small reward to keep the centre going. You might find such a group near you.

Thread: internet cable
03/09/2021 23:59:44

Reminds me of a problem a few years ago on another forum. Chap was reporting that as he installed the Ethernet cable through the garage it kept snapping and breaking apart, It was new cable so why the problem. After a few days of advice and disbelief he finally revealed that he was in Canada and it was 20 below zero.

Thread: optical mystery parts
03/09/2021 18:30:08
Posted by gerry madden on 03/09/2021 14:11:54:

I didn't know these lcd screens were giving off polarised light, .

That's how they work. The Liquid Crystal in LCD is an electronically variable polariser. Try a bit of damaged perspex in the mix. The stresses around cracks change the polarisation effects in the material and can be arranged to make pretty coloured patterns.

Thread: Using a ginding setup on a lathe
02/09/2021 12:30:51

Before using a die grinder check the play in the bearings. They are not intended for precision work so may flop around rather more than the depth of cut you are trying to achieve. Also you might want to look at the lathe bearings and slide movement or it rather defeats the object of the exercise. Doesn't necessarily apply if your only aim is to cut tough materials rather than achivee the precision and finish of normal grinding intentions.

Thread: Threading myth .... busted!
01/09/2021 20:15:49

I hope this Joe chap is not claiming to be some kind of guru who has just found this out. If so he has had his head in a bucket for 50 years. Must have been known to the ancient Egyptians. We have been discussing it on this forum since the internet was invented.

However I suspect the improved tool geometry when angled is a help if you are treadling the lathe.

Thread: Whirlpool cooker
01/09/2021 18:04:59

I lived for a decade without a cooker, or microwave just slow cooker, grill and 2 rings. When I moved the new house had a cooker. Even then and before I got my first microwave I didn't and don't use it every month. Most of African households don't have an oven and before colonisation introduced them to bread they got on ok.

Thread: Anyone know what machine tool maker uses this emblem?
31/08/2021 12:25:25

It appears to be a shaper and the OP seems to be in Canada so may alter the perspective.

Might b better to post on HSM or if you dare PM.

Thread: Metal Planer by George Plant & Son
29/08/2021 21:38:30

James, the table is 6 in wide by 17 in long. However the stroke is only 11 in. Apart from the 2 in lost at each end by the slot design the table only goes forward until the back is level with the back of the gantry. Thus the slides put the tool further forward than expected. A cranked tool doesn't help as the stroke is limited by the fixings of the chain drive underneath. A rack drive could be made to give a longer stroke.
The gantry also has to be quite a lot wider to accommodate the width of the carriage.

Thread: Is there any benefit to copper plating before nickel plating?
29/08/2021 21:23:08

And it is the nickel that provides the corrosion resistance by dissolving away instead of the chrome. That's why chrome plating flakes off around damaged areas - the underlying layer has gone. Nowadays they skimp on the nickel which is why modern chrome plating doesn't last so long.

Thread: Change Wheel Programme from MEW
27/08/2021 17:53:35

BB12 it depends on the use. So if you are making a bolt for fixing something using say a thin nut that will only engage 3 threads then a 1% error would mean the last thread of the nut is 3% out. If a fight fit it might jam, but if a loose fit only one turn of the thread is going to be in contact until the thread deforms for the other turns to make contact. It will fit but may not be as strong as you expected.
If the nut is a deep tapped hole with 10 turns in 'contact' then the end one is 10% out and jamming is more likely with a tight fit but with a loose fit it might still be strong enough for your purpose.

Chances are that unless particular about angle and tool thread form (inserts anybody?) the pitch is only part of the problems overall.

Thread: Hanson Steel Buildings
27/08/2021 11:13:54

Just checked re my last post. I meant SteviegTr but I can't see the photos I was thinking of so not him. Drat. Who am I thinking of?

27/08/2021 10:45:31

Given that it is so narrow any corrugated iron sheet would span it without framework. I would suggest instead of buying a shed just get 4 in thick insulated roof sheets to use both as walls and ceiling. Make sure the base is also insulated.
If you can search for an early post by Steviegr a couple of years ago he shows his shed using this method.

Thread: Protractors scaled in Radians
26/08/2021 20:20:01

Thanks for the extra Calum.
Given the ever expanding set of unused features in Word I would have expected them to add eg "sinD() " that just takes the argument in degrees.

26/08/2021 18:20:53

I've never understood why Excel does trig functions in radians making for an extra calculation instead of providing a straight-up degree option. It must waste millions of man-hours per year around the world.

Thread: hi new here from ely
24/08/2021 08:58:02

That's great quality photo on the front of your website, Is it by you? If so it is gong to be interesting to keep up with your site.

Thread: Myford super 7 with gearbox - leadscrew stopped turning
24/08/2021 08:34:41

Start at the spindle turning it by hand. Look at the back of the spindle at the gears (open the cover) see if they are turning all teh way down to the input to the gearbox. If that is turning try different settings of the levers of the gearbox. All this by turning the chuck by hand not under power in case there is something damaged.

Thread: boxford lathe upgrade?
22/08/2021 19:59:54

There are various different bed lengths so the leadscrew RHS end support might not line up but any competent engineer can sort that out.

Thread: How the crisis in container ships could ruin Christmas
22/08/2021 10:04:39

Made me think of a much more important problem. When the oil runs out how will we lubricate out treadle lathes? Won't be able to fall back on the traditional lard as the Greenies will have banned animals. Is palm oil any good? Maybe I can grow enough sunflowers to meet my needs.

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
20/08/2021 00:43:31

Nice one Derek. After spending an hour stationary on the M25 this evening I wish more of the dunderheads would stick to cycles instead of cars.

NDIY have you got any peas to give her - if she doesn't know what to do tell her they are just a fat variety of beans.

It is amazing how many people don't know what we think of as common knowledge. A few years ago I witnessed my neighbour's visiting mother who had been sent down the garden to sort out the bonfire pile trying to light the corner of the neatly folded complete copy of the Guardian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest