By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: brass tube
16/09/2021 21:17:19

And is it tube or pipe you want?

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
16/09/2021 21:16:16

The framework for holding the panels over the car park would cost more than the panels. Likewise the reinforcement for the warehouse roof would use up 10 or more years of energy generation.

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
16/09/2021 12:59:10

I too noticed really fast deliveries last year, Not been testing it recently. However out rural postie of decades was moved against his will recently and the replacement apparently did her last day on Tuesday. With Steve he knew where to delver stuff just addressed to the Cricket Club, knew my house when the house nameplate was not up (for about 15 years), would give you your post if he met you walking at the bottom of the hill, didn't mind my overgrown path and would let out errant sheep in the garden if necessary.
How long before we have to have car accessible postboxes like the Americans, or a trip to a box in town.

Thread: Tap Extractor
15/09/2021 16:12:56

Silver steel is strongly magnetic so your piece is a cheap form of stainless.
If you look up DIY spark eroders, simpe ones, you will find they use a simple electrical circuit with a resistor and capacitor, then various levels of complexity for the mechanics.

However one of our club members found for a one off small item you don't need any of the mechanical stuff, just a thin electrode running up and down in a plastic tube held by the mill chuck to align it. You provide the up down movement by hand. Sow and laborious but for a one off not too bad. Any time the electrode welds to the tap try turning it.

15/09/2021 13:35:42
Posted by Martin Connelly on 14/09/2021 13:02:09:

Then when everyone has electrically powered heat pumps will they start dictating that they will also have to be switched off at peak demand times as well?

That's what teh 'smart meter' is for.

One of the growing problems is mains sockets with built in USB, phone chargers not in use, loads fo 'smart' home control light bulbs etc. Then there is the 'get our internet gas heating thermostat so you can switch the heating on before you get home' problem.
Oh the assholes were blocking the M25 again today to increase petrol wastage in the tailback.

Thread: Apple recipes
15/09/2021 11:27:53

Don't forget the blackberries. They seem to be a bit less juicy this year and pleased to find nobody is bothering to pick the ones outside my gate, probably not bothering to pick any when they just get everything from teh supermarket.
Lidl tends to sell apple presses this time of year, but I never see anyone sell a scratter mill. Maybe a project for 'Get Woodworking' forum (see link at bottom of page).

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
13/09/2021 23:44:02

Well I'm puzzled why Nigel has thanked me for Dr_G's photos of Wortley Top Forge. Though I have mentioned the model engineers there after I visited years ago it was just after they had been flooded right up to the level of the signal box. it is so long ago I can't find the postings or photos. Might be before I had a digital camera.
It is interesting to reflect that when you see a very old railway wagon in some museum it's axles were probably made on those self same trip hammers, still working and ready to make some more 150years later.

13/09/2021 23:07:37

Wondering, if I wasn't now able to work from home, whether I would still be stuck on the M25 today ........ my pre-covid commute.

Thread: Myford ML7 service in Devon
12/09/2021 21:06:06

Indeed, Virginia, but north Devon. Glad you recognised the flag laugh

12/09/2021 17:52:49

Don't worry about servicing as lathes don't need that at all unlike cars. However find some oil in the shed and paint anything shiny with it to keep rust at bay. Even an empty house in Devon let alone a garage or shed is not as dry as you might think and things will rust.
You are midway between the Plymouth and Newton Abbott clubs whom you can contact online. They probably have members local to you who can pop round to help you identify parts. They might also know of a club member who would be interested in buying the lathe.
Also all the other little tools that accumulate in a shed can rather mount up in value but are difficult to sell on ebay unless you are into that sort of thing and not costing your time. Dealers give peanuts for such stuff saying it is just scrap. The local club might make an offer for them to sell on at club meetings. While their offer might be small it does at least mean other fellow modellers are getting the benefit instead of some sly garage trader.

Thread: I dont think its 3phase but what is it ?!
11/09/2021 14:58:51

A friend of mine bought a high street shop and found that all of the telephone connections for the rest of the line of shops came to a junction box in his property - done to avoid a cabinet in the street and done in the days when the shop owners would have been cooperative.

I suspect your property once had multiple phone lines into the property and some were for an early BT internet modem which would be the size of a sewing machine and needed mains power. Possibly a small switchboard and intercom that also needed mains power.

10/09/2021 22:46:15

EDMES had it's delayed AGM today and just managed to get a forum of 15 members to comply with the constitution and elect a new Chairman ( who is in Corfu at the moment).
We also had about 15 members at the SADMES meeting on Wednesday.

Good that people are getting back into the groove

Thread: Why do designers do this!!
07/09/2021 23:52:22

Cleaned the boot carpet today (side effect of checking spare tyre pressure). Why do they design it with special pile that clings to sawdust and general dirt. On the other hand the outside paint does seem to be designed to shed dirt such that I only wash it once a year unlike my car 40 years ago that needed weekly washing even if I didn't drive it anywhere.

Thread: Searching for magazine collectors
07/09/2021 18:02:36

contact your local model engineering club who might want them for their library, or may have a member who wants their own set. Any beginners should be interested in steadily reading through them while watching TV. Great way to learn about the hobby.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
07/09/2021 17:58:05

Make sure it is heavy enough not to be scooted across the bench by the cheap not very flexible leads wink

Thread: RAF to give up flying planes.
07/09/2021 16:11:05

Nobody yet mentioned the saving in fuel and greenhouse gas production. Hopefully sometime soon they will wake up to the negative effects of the massively antisocial hobby of private light aircraft flying.

05/09/2021 22:00:02

Exeter & District Model Engineering Society has enough of its new track laid to do public running on it for the first time today. From now on it will be possible every first Sunday of the month but there is an extra day on the 19th Sept as it is the open day for the model railway club who also live at the St Katherine's Priory community centre in Stoke Hill Exeter.

There was good support from the local children wanting rides so a great start to our operations at the tracksite. Well done all those who have been working hard to build the track under the restrictions of the last year. Still more to do if anyone finds themselves at a loose end on a Tuesday.

Thread: Disposal of swarf
05/09/2021 21:39:22

If you read the PM forum there are threads from commercial CNC machine shops discussing the cost of lost coolant even with centrifuges trying to wash swarf and recover it. When you think of the surface area of a ton of swarf even a monomolecular layer amounts to a lot of gallons of oil.

Thread: Electric motor speed
05/09/2021 21:32:45

I have a brushed mains motor from a Hotpoint washing machine labelled at 15000rpm. The small pulley on the motor and huge one on the drum is needed to tumble that overload of wet socks yet once going it needs to go like a bat out of hell to do the spin. The motor actually turns itself over on 12v and is quite useful on 70vDC. About 20 years ago at a model show there was a submarine some 15ft long using two of them.

Thread: Machine Lamp Recommendation?
04/09/2021 20:31:37

If you have a shelf above and behind as so many do just get a kitchen over counter/under cupboard LED strip light next time they appear in Lidl. In fact get 2. You can put the second on a batten that hinges on the shelf perhaps as a parallel motion arrangement to pull out over the lathe when more light is needed.
Spruce the area up with white paint to reflect more light to get an overall directionless illumination.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest