By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: HSS tool sharpening
19/11/2019 17:59:00

Posted by Roger King 1 on 19/11/2019 13:39:51:

. I still need the grinder to be able to grind and rough finish parts without changing wheels.

Does this mean you are using the grinder for non-sharpening activities? They will get clogged if used on mild steel. A belt sander is better for this.

If you do think you need a better tool rest just get a block of solid non wobbly wood up to centre height, perhaps with a sheet metal or paxolin top to give a smooth running surface. Then the curve of the wheel gives a curve with a suitable clearance angle, or maybe pack it up 1/8 if it doesn't look sharp enough. No need to get over fancy.

Thread: Web Hosting
18/11/2019 13:00:35

Just keep a look out for their sneaky marketing plans. Our club got caught a few years ago by a 'free' upgrade that next year was 'assumed' to be our new required selection, plus they billed the nearly double price in 6 month instalments so the massive hike wouldn't be spotted.

Thread: Recommended vise for Adept No 2 Shaper
17/11/2019 17:27:41

Paul's vice looks a good option if you can find one, Two points for both of you. a) fit a large thick washer under that hold down bolt to distribute the load, filing off a bit where it is close to the main body. b) have a look at pictures of the Drummond hand shaper. It uses a similar rounded moving jaw but also has a hold down bolt in the middle that might be an useful addition.
I find that a sensible cut is about 20sq thou. That is eg 4 thou across by 5 depth per stroke. If you try to be a tough guy the shock of the first contact can move the work.

Thread: Ornamental Turning
17/11/2019 09:09:47

Yes. AS a start all you need is a way of indexing the spindle - eg use your change wheels, and a small spindle to mount on the toolpost - eg a dremel drill.
Plenty of examples on the internet.

Thread: Workshop lighting
15/11/2019 19:12:46

I have a strip of those LEDs that I have been meaning to attach to a length of aluminium angle to ensure cooling but haven't got round to it.
First I replaced the incandescent bub with a CFL and got used to that though it took a while to get up to brightness. Then I got a 30W LED IP35 strip from screwfix. That is great in coming instantly to full brightness but it is very stark white bright light, It provides all the light needed for 'pootling' then I use a mix of CFL and LED anglepoise lamps on each bench or machine when doing actual work.
I hove LED strips elsewhere and their light is very cold. so use CFLs when I don't need the brilliance for eg reading.

My latest acquisition is a short 8W under kitchen cupboard strip from Lidl. It has a two way switch giving either bright or mellow so it is going over the main bench to see which mode is best.

Thread: Who invented the elastic band?
15/11/2019 17:06:20

The rubber tree originated in the Amazon basin. I remember planting some seeds when I lived in Africa aged about 3. I think the hedge we were using them for is still visible on google earth.

Edited By Bazyle on 15/11/2019 17:10:14

Thread: Warco WM 250 problem?
15/11/2019 13:32:58

Is this the stand?

My suggestion would be two pieces of angle iron across front and back of the stand then a 3x2 ft paving slab on top, especially if you can find a proper council spec 2in thick slab.
The mass helps and as a bonus you get a 2in lift and everyone complains lathes are too low for them.

Thread: 8mm live centre
14/11/2019 13:05:06

There is also the point that a 'live centre' should be soft material so it can be skimmed and the 'dead centre' hard so it doesn't get deformed by the job rotating on it. Until you let it overheat when it gets relegated to the other end.

Thread: Record 25 vice handle
14/11/2019 12:52:40

A lot of the fancier woodworking vices have wooden handles, albeit a little thicker.
I have a 4in vice on a plate to put on a workmate to use outside for dirty jobs. I dropped it and it landed on the handle and bent it. This might be some kind of indication of the strength of material.

Thread: I cannot disassemble the X axis lead screw
13/11/2019 17:51:16

Don't have a Senior but shouldn't all the other bits the other side of the bracket come off? Normally they are all adjustable to take up the slack so do come off. The bit you are pointing to is normally never meant to come apart again, otherwise they would have used a screw.

Thread: Yahoo Groups: Heads up for members of e-mail groups
13/11/2019 17:41:50

Groups at Groups.io

12x36importlathes - covers Chinese made lathes from 11in to 14in, warco, chester etc.

12x36importlathes@groups.io

https://groups.io/g/12x36importlathes

Harrison Lathe

HarrisonLathe@groups.io

https://groups.io/g/HarrisonLathe

Drummondlathe - includes shaper

drummondlathe@groups.io

https://groups.io/g/drummondlathe

mam+Pantograph-Engravers - subgroup of MAM covers Taylor Hobson, Alexander, Gorton etc and die-sinkers

Pantograph-Engravers@mam.groups.io.

https://mam.groups.io/g/Pantograph-Engravers

ElliottMachineTools - includes lathes and grinders and milling machines

Elliott_Machine_Tool_Owners@yahoogroups.com

https://groups.io/g/ElliottMachineTools

4x6Bandsaw - the common metal cutting saws

4x6bandsaw@groups.io

https://groups.io/g/4x6bandsaw

Wurlitzer105andBandOrganBuilders

Wurlitzer105andBandOrganBuilders@groups.io

https://groups.io/g/Wurlitzer105andBandOrganBuilders

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 clone tailstock alignemnt
10/11/2019 21:18:42

I can't remember if the tailstock is the same as the saddle but I think it probably is. The bed is D shaped. Drills that produce a D shaped hole are hard to make (yes they so exist! ) so they drilled a round hole and stuck a filler piece of plastic in. This can both wear (dropping the height, and twist round, or the wear might be lopsided.

One thing to do is extend the tailstock barrel a couple of inches and lock it. Then measure the height wrt the bed along the top and see if it is sloping nose down (most likely I think) or down all along.
Also check that you original diagnosis is not just a misaligned centre or bit of dirt in the taper.

I'm not sure how to solve the error as spare parts are a problem.

BTW I don't think they are clones, just they used more than one legitimate factory.

Edited By Bazyle on 10/11/2019 21:20:11

Thread: Yahoo Groups: Heads up for members of e-mail groups
10/11/2019 20:31:29

The Drummond group has moved to groups.io

**LINK**

or search for drummondlathe

Edited By Bazyle on 10/11/2019 20:33:30

Thread: What is it/they called?
06/11/2019 17:33:18

Bill That is a proper 'counter-bore' used for making a spot face or recess on the far end of a hole on a casting that has been drilled through, perhaps on a boring machine, to avoid the trouble of remounting the workpiece to get at the outer side. So you put it through the hole without the cutters in place, add the cutter and away you go. The taper should have a drawbar to hold it in or the main arbor a centre to position it with a tailstock.

Thread: Tools for Super 7
05/11/2019 21:14:10

Don't over-think it and get drawn into expensive tools until you have done a lot of reading round the subject.
If you are able to meet up with some model engineers perhaps one will give you a suitable tool to start off with. Otherwise look on ebay for a job lot of half a dozen smaller tools for less than £1 each, 1/4 in or 5/16. Not sure if 3/8 is too big for a Myford. People are often selling off batches they have collected or acquired from work. At least some of them will be pre-formed and jus tneed a quick touch up.

Talking about black iron is all very well but where do you get it outside some old stockists in the midlands. Most of the ME suppliers only stock mild steel of undefined type.

Thread: Drummond Tailstock
04/11/2019 13:32:14

Very clear photos Hopper. Thanks.

A longer barrel might be an option some day. Meanwhile I can't find the locking screw which might have been introduced after 1926 when mine was made. I also can't see a thread on the sidewall of the hole where it is visible inside. I think the key may have been pushed outwards a bit by its encounter so will try persuading it in a bit after a soak in release oil, file off the burs, then push it outwards.
The photo shows how the extra part of the slot was very slightly tilted off-centre.
drummond tailstock.jpg
By the way the picture colour doesn't show that the paint is a sort of washed-out greenish which seems to be the only layer, no grey or black underneath. I've seen this sort of colour on a few steam engines in museums so might be the original requested shade.

Edited By Bazyle on 04/11/2019 13:36:33

03/11/2019 23:01:50

NDIY. I did wonder if anyone would pick up on that. However the cross slide is a little over 4 in wide which uses up some space. I will find out more about the practicalities one day when I do drill it right though (not 1/2 in of course).
Also before you mention it the time period would hopefully be somewhat less than its entire life and might have happened after it was demobbed probably in 1971.

03/11/2019 22:34:48

Thanks David. Your drawing shows the keyway extending into the threaded section where I have about 3 clean threads then about 6 beyond that which have been mashed. Interestingly before the damage the length of threaded section means the barrel can be retracted well inside the housing which I haven't seen in a lathe before. I imagine if the key is screwed in they didn't put a slot at the outside to avoid having people try to unscrew it and sheer off the key.

Thread: Colchester Master Mk1 lifting + moving advice
03/11/2019 20:50:05

Can you rake up the gravel to gain a bit of height, or a ramp. Maybe get some more bags of it as you will need them one day anyway.
The blue pallets actually belong to someone I believe, not the usual disposable ones, but still a bit wobbly. I would attach a triangle of 2x4 bracing between the pallet and the holes that seem to be available in the lathe stand.

Thread: Drummond Tailstock
03/11/2019 20:31:58

Some time in the last 90 years.

Able seaman Henry have you used the Drummond to make a new spindle for itself?
Yes Chief, nice and smooth down here at 20 fathoms below, but could only drill it 4 inches deep with the half inch drill.
What about the MT1 taper? oh never mind. How did you get 4 inch deep the tailstock only has 3 in travel?
No Chief, it does 4 in but was a bit stiff for the last inch. Just needed some extra force on the handwheel but they don't call me Heavy Handed Henry for nothing.

Conveniently for HH Henry the tailstock barrel is threaded externally so the anti rotation key was being forced through the threads giving space to squish the metal out of the way.

My question is about the key. On the outside it doesn't have a screwdriver slot; it just seems to be plain. Is it supposed to be a push fit? It might be held by having been partly smeared over on the inside. So I just want advice on whether I can push it inwards, or outwards without damage.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest