By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Juliet boiler
30/09/2020 00:51:39

The stain would just be a bit of flux not quite cleaned off, or a fly that died there. In some ways it is actually better that it seems to be 'as found' so that such stains can be seen rather than tarted up with a wire brush and a bottle of brasso.

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
29/09/2020 16:30:53

Not really enough detail from the OP but it seems to be a requirement for a school demonstration, which may need to be conducted more than once. Does it really need to be round as 'bar' can aslo be square.
How well is the school / your workshop equipped?
Simple solution would be to buy half inch square rod from our usual sources.
Take off the outer edges in the shaper.
Slice and slice again with the power hacksaw.

If you and other schools need this more regularly CES might be persuaded to do the honours and add to their product list.

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
29/09/2020 12:30:51

There have been several threads on this forum about the BH600 style lathe, including a strip down of the saddle. Possibly a good idea to replace the shear pin in the feed screw with a brass one I think was mentioned on one of these threads. There were also some articles in ME about 2005, well years ago, about making a clutch and other mods to an earlier version, then there is also a trick with the belts to make it slip more. Use the search facility on the front page not the one at the top of this page.

Thread: Building Stand
27/09/2020 13:48:30

Now here is one of the best I think. It serves as building and subsequent transport and maintenance seen here at Ally Pally in 2017. Built by Tim in the St Albans club note the pointy bits on the running rails to move it on and off the track. It can also be fired up in the stand for moving to the track where there is no steaming bay. Don't forget to empty the lubricator before turning it upside down over the club's best display cloths.
timspannierpdc_1324.jpg
The loco is clamped around the buffer beams and can be flipped over or even used to store on end in the small shed. One modification I would make if used for building is to have the side rail bolted not welded to move it to other positions.

27/09/2020 13:32:16

The wooden one at Ally Pally 2019. Sorry, no info to give credit to. Shows you don't have to get complicated.
wooden loco stand.jpg

Thread: Heat Treating Furnace
26/09/2020 14:06:28

I like your arrangement of bricks. I had been toying with an internal dimension of two whole bricks only giving length, not much width and height for a possible small crucible. At top temp what is the power consumption? is it about 100% duty cycle and does the outside get unpleasantly (dangerously?) hot?
Also I count 15 bricks, so off to count my stock.

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
25/09/2020 12:45:20

Anyone tried the angle grinder with a wire brush or flap disc? Do they fit? How long does it run for. Small cut off jobs are wuite wuick so not stressing it but up a ladder cleaning paint cordless would be better than a hand brush. DIY use not 40 hours a week for ten years.

Thread: Model engineer magazines
24/09/2020 01:01:05

It helps to say what town you are in as the weight implies pick up only.

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
23/09/2020 01:21:23

One of the functions of the Men's Shed movement is to provide this kind of support environment for people who are lonely or needing someone to talk to outside thier family. And by providing a men only situation similar to the old traditional workplace for many it is a comfortable situation, a home from home like a shed at the bottom of the garden but with some friends too.
Some people get the same from their gang of regulars down the pub, a sports club or a bunch of football supporters meeting at a match.
Then some people get this from their hobby club, whether knitting, art, pottery and......making models. Yes the Model Engineer's clubs are a form of Men's Shed providing psycological support for those who need it, even those who don't realise they need it. I have mentnioned this at one of my ME clubs and got shot down by some, appreciated by the more intelligent.

Oh, yes, social media and forums too. This forum is providing quite a few people with a community contact amongst 'friends' and like at the pub a few assholes too. Shock Horror. You just got some mental health improvement by reading my post.

Personnaly the effect on me of lockdown has been the opposite as not having to go to work or shed, clubs and church has given me a pleasant freedom from direct human contact. I think my true calling is as a hermit.

Thread: Using a quorn to grind single point involute cutters
22/09/2020 14:55:18
Posted by John Rutzen on 22/09/2020 08:06:39:

I've been trying to accomplish this by setting the rotating table on the Quorn to the button radius using the setting micrometer. The lack of any scales on the Quorn is a problem though.

I was suggesting dressing the wheel to the required button radius. You are perhaps using the sharp corner of the wheel to grind the curve. I see the problem of getting the centre of rotation to the right point realtive to the wheel as it is effectively inside the wheel itself.

Thread: WARNING Scammer
22/09/2020 14:37:07

One of the problems is that at the end of an auction ebay sends the buyers address to the vendor immediately but don't send the buyer any details of the vendor. Sometimes I have received info on the seller from ebay but only after the paypal payment went through. For pick up i mostly have to slowly exchange data through the ebay message system.
Also when something is buy it now with postage but they live in the same town you can't go and get it because the listing only responds to taking all the money including th postage. Lost a couple of things while trying to arrange collection.

Thread: Interference
22/09/2020 14:15:53

Sounds like its filters (capacitors) on the EHT inverter had died of old age and it was putting noise on the mains that then got into the phone line perhaps due to a getting through the modem psu. Kind of sloppy of BT not to have looked at it earlier.

Interference from all sorts of things is a problem for meodems, not necessarily cutting out just reducing speed. Mobile phone base stations signals don't help. I've seen a fish tank heater timer give wifi problems reported as intermittent connectivity. If the owner had been more observant they would have noticed it was only starting at 2pm every day.

I imagine there is a lotof potential for eg a home made rotary converter, failing VFD capacitors, worn brushes on a drill etc, to put noise on the mains that can then get into places it shouldn't.

If you want to get a feel for what noise is around from a motor the simplest thing is a battery long or medium wave radio.

Thread: Using a quorn to grind single point involute cutters
22/09/2020 00:27:36

I assume you mean translate the method used for making them on a lathe by cutting on the grinder with an equaivalent prepared wheel. That is a grinding wheel dressed to a circular profile (no funny quips about it being a wheel please). This would be prepared using the part of the tool holder normally used for putting a radius on a tool.
However for a tool you put the tool tip closer to the wheel relative to the axis of rotation of the holder and grind the tool in a series of passes while advancing the tool into the wheel. But in this case you put a diamond back away from the axis by the radius you want, then very slowly move it into the wheel while rotating the holder abut its axis and it generates the curve on the wheel. You only need to do one corner of the wheel if you are prepared to work out how to invert the tool bit to do the other side.
Once you have a curved wheel edge you treat it like the button style cutters for preparing a tool in the lathe ie with respect to infeed and width of the tool blank. You obviously don't have two buttons simultaneously cutting each side at the correct spacing so you need to pick up a refernce on the edge of the tool blank. I think it is a bit tricky to set the two key dimensions, infeed and button separartion as the Quorn only has one micrometer dial and feed screw.
There are som extra complications if you want to use the curvature of the wheel to provide the cutting edge clearance,

Thread: Scrappy Haul (50 HSS Pieces)
21/09/2020 15:13:47

Lucky man to have a scrap source that gets that kind of stuff in and lets it out again.

Thread: Change gear alternative material
21/09/2020 15:10:54

Lots of people starting to use printed gears too, even for backgear on a SouthBend. Since the tumbler gears, first 3 of them, don't need to mesh with regular change gears I wonder what improvement might be had by using (printed) helicial gears.

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
21/09/2020 10:32:25

Centec, Tom Senior, Elliott Omnimeil and its copy the VMC (various versions including one from Myford) are all about the same size and a little 'bigger' than the Myford but will compliment niecely when you upgrade the lathe to a Boxford. Think about whether you want interchageable tooling as these mills all come with more than one spindle option, often changing from MT3 to rarer INT30 during their production.
There was also the Emco FP2 which is a bit smaller but Warco produced a version in the '90s designed to compliment the Myford for tooling.

There are other threads on the forum covering the VMC and FP2.

Thread: Mystery parts
20/09/2020 18:42:54

I see wire and a switch. Is it n electrically heated boiler?

Edited By Bazyle on 20/09/2020 18:45:32

Thread: Reminiscences
20/09/2020 16:44:49

We didn't realise the significance at the time but from school saw flashes of light and sparks through the trees where the railway line was. Not maintenance but he end of the line for the old Great Western rail into Tavistock South. I got to use both stations in Tavistock before they closed. I can also remember walking past the big hot loco that had taken us into Paddington, again not realising it would be the last chance.

Thread: Lathe light
20/09/2020 11:56:38

Not heard of a machine lamp of 36v before. Is it possible that under load the volts drop to 24?

It might prove cheaper in the long run to ditch the transformer and start over with a 12v LED arrangement after all they only used 24v to get the wattage with lighter wiring than if they used 12v and to avoid using car bulbs that would have been nicked for operator's cars.

Thread: Unknown Lathe
20/09/2020 11:48:35

The top arm is for horizontal milling (it has the drop arm on the end) so it is just possible that part was scrounged off a small mill of the same vintage. The slide at the slide at the rear might have been cobbled on to do the odd large diameter item, like brake discs but otherwise looks like a wood bowlturning set up.
would have needed some wetal working facilities if the headstock was home made so perhaps a machinist wanting to cobble somethign together for home use.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest