By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Petrol Gen for 7 1/4 locomotive
15/09/2019 19:34:31

Looks like you need to do some research to find out from people running similar battery locos and manufacturers if you are going to buy one what the current draw and power actually used is over various operating conditions, passenger number, hills, pulling away and cruising.
Batteries will produce very high currents for just the few seconds it takes to pull away from the station and then cruise at a much lower power. You might consider a battery loco but a separate generator car that tops it up on the run. This would allow some periods of nice quiet running, getting useful energy from the generator when sitting at stations, and providing a convenient portable power unit for track maintenance.

Thread: Bench block for small parts - ice hockey puck
15/09/2019 16:39:39

How machineable are they? Say if one needed something like a big pipe adaptor or a bung. Big BSP fittings are expensive.

Thread: Power cross feed: electric motor or linkage to spindle?
14/09/2019 20:06:54

Originally when small motors were expensive it was obvious to use the existing power source as a few gears in production quantities are only a few bob each even today. they were less concerned that the advantage of a geared set-up is the constant feed rate, or at least a constant pitch of the advancing cut if the actual spindle speed varies.
With a non-coupled drive if you have a varying load on the feed due to hard spots, swarf build up, variations in lubrication or tool wear the feed rate fluctuates and this often shows up on the surface even though you can't detect a change in the depth of cut etc.

Thread: MT2 or ISO30
14/09/2019 17:02:19

30 is going to be a lot better choice than MT2. The option was more likely MT3 and there is some small advantage in having things compatible between lathe and mill head but in practice that is not often used. Arc do adaptors.

Thread: Steam Hammer identification
12/09/2019 17:27:35
Posted by Brian H on 12/09/2019 09:05:11:

Please replace the roundhead screws with studs on nuts or at least hex screws.

Brian

No. Unless this is a scale model of a know full size one. The roundhead screws are part of the original 'as made' design of a model and is of its time and form part of the charm and value.

Thread: Stuck oil filter
12/09/2019 11:42:44

The problem starts with the designers. Nobody who actually has ever serviced a car would position the filter on its side or even worse facing up but invariably going back 100 years the head of the DO will have had a company car and free garage servicing.

I'd really like to see the programs like 'top gear' ambush a top car exec and have him do a service live on telly to teach them a lesson. However the TV presenters are also overpaid prima donnas who don't do real work either.

Thread: Recommendation for Tool and Cutter Grinder
09/09/2019 21:36:03

Given the size of the screw the projection of the grooving tool only needs to be minute, a few thou.

Starting with a standard parting tool (or one made from a bit of hacksaw) a diamond file, a steady hand, a guide rest, and a microscope and have a go. Each time you get it wrong the parting tool can be got back to square in a few seconds with a regular grinding wheel.

Thread: Record Vice Q/Release Trigger Spring
09/09/2019 12:53:21

You could use piano wire or with a bit of engineering to provide a lever and anchor point a 'regular' spring.

Thread: Cheapskate Sandblaster
06/09/2019 20:41:23

The health warning is definitely relevant for people doing it everyday commercially and inside.
I had great expectations of the wet blaster when I got it but found that any blowback would make the sand feed tube damp and instantly block. I intended to make a pressurised sand feed to prevent this but haven't got round to it yet.

Thread: Pultra 10mm Collet Blocks
05/09/2019 18:03:55

I've only ever heard of them for 5C. I kept suggesting to the late John Stevenson that he make some for 3C since there are so many of those collets around for Boxfords. 6, 8, 10mm sizes would also be logical developments of the theme.

Thread: Brooks Stent Grinder Plans
05/09/2019 17:58:53

This is quite a simple one - you can see the concept and design your own to use a regular grinder or some other wheel. The body pivots on the front bar so the second bar is just a frame. Basically a simplified Quorn. More pics in my Colyer Casely folder. (sorry guys I may have spelled your names wrong)

colyer casely 4 pdc_1155.jpg

Thread: countershaft bearing replacement
01/09/2019 17:22:05

Vic, I had a look at your albums What a lovely set up that Pitler is. It is the Myford countershaft assembly which you can see in a picture and a catalogue engraving on the Lathes page I linked. I think Myford must have seen a market in conversions to electric for treadle lathes or small lineshaft drives. In my case it seemed to be a solution after the Drummond lathe was demobbed from a navy boat.

01/09/2019 15:17:26

Is that a Myford motor assembly MA97 from about 1947 ? I just got one last week myself but not penetrated the grime to see how it works yet.
I wonder if you could use a needle roller being lower profile at the motor input end and a smaller ball bearing at the other end with the shaft turned down at that end only. The ball bearing would provide the end float control not available from the needles.

Thread: Hello from Somerset
31/08/2019 20:12:50

Welcome to the world of model engineering and this forum. I've never been to the Essmee club site but may pay a virtual visit care of google and the web.

Edited By Bazyle on 31/08/2019 20:16:08

Thread: Equity release!
31/08/2019 10:10:16

Agree with NDIY but also find out what the capital gains catch is on it. The parasites operating the scheme will value the house at the absolute minimum they can citing every scratch and dent in the paintwork as excuses Then offer you likely 20% less so they cannot possibly lose money on it. Sometimes there are clauses requiring you to spend your money on the upkeep to their standards, even though it is 'their' property.

I imagine like mortgages the resulting title to the property is then traded on the investment market in blocks of thousands of houses sold as medium term investments to faceless corporations. The one thing you can bet on is that none of it is intended to be for your benefit.

Thread: Tool post project
29/08/2019 13:42:00

Nice try Neil but you could simplify it by doing away with the cam, fixing the clamp plate to the body, and putting a lever on the top clamp nut so you don't need a spanner. Then further simplify the whole body into just a plate, say triangular, with two pressure points over the tool and an adjustable screw foot on the other corner the other side of the clamp bolt.
Amazing that nobody has thought of this before. wink

Thread: How hot does the motor on your mill/lathe run?
29/08/2019 13:18:09

The original post asked about 'continuous rated'. Your mill is not continuous rated. It is probably intended for 50% or even 30% duty cycle with maximum period of less than an hour.

When getting a new motor first run it for just 5 minutes so the internals don't warm up but check the bearings. They may well run hot too initially but look out for one being way hotter than the other.

Rating plates can be misleading. On electrical items like computers PSUs and radios they are the maximum possible for fuse selection not the running power. For example we use a 25W PSU on a device taking 13W-15W. The previous model took 21W so in the new model we estimated getting below 18W. Too close to risk ordering a 20W PSU so went for 25W but it still takes less than 15W owing to improved final design.

Thread: Thread Gauges
28/08/2019 13:47:51

There was another thread questioning this last year. I think the G was just for 'gauge' or something German. It isn't a different size. Some leaves on mine have the G and some don't, probably gets left off as unnecessary when the die is updated.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
28/08/2019 09:05:32

LED light. You are likely to find that the psu is still functioning as a constant current supply that is fully potted so unable to be adjusted. It will pump out its designated power ramping up the voltage to do that. The LEDs array is pushed to its limit to advertise max lumens at minimum cost and any deficiency in cooling burns it out. You can get replacement LED arrays off ebay that cost as much as the whole lamp and pare probably the rejects from the minimum level of quality control exercised at the factory.

27/08/2019 17:21:31

Bank Holiday saw SADMES members up early to get the portable track to Verulamium park along with 3 vital shade makers. We are not allowed to drive lamp irons into the historic site so have to use big bollards for the safety rope. Otherwise not too difficult to set up the track with the well oiled team. Most people who were too old for the splash park were hiding under each big tree so trade was not very busy even though the rides were free.

Some of the attractions that had no shade and involved physical movement had no customers but as we were near the café we caught a few on their way for an ice cream. We used to go next to the boating pond but bad water management has resulted in it all but drying up this summer.

Still we were able to give out lots of flyers for our exhibition on the last weekend of September and a positive response will hopefully keep us busy then.
bank holiday 2019.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest