By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Needle roller shaft
12/07/2020 21:51:55

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems sleeves are four times the cost of the bearing itself and 2mm thick if available at all in the required size.

Might try low profile ball bearings though only found metric so need a sleeve on teh outside instead but that is low tech.

12/07/2020 12:45:06

Is plain silver steel - unhardened but needing turn/grind to profile - adequate hardness for a needle roller shaft? I don't want to have an inner sleeve as it makes the shaft thin. Hardening would risk distortion.

A bit more messy would be plain steel, case harden the journal part then finnish turn the rest using the bearing itself as part of the support for the process.

suggestions?

Thread: Wohlhaupter UPA4 Boring and Facing Head Operation
11/07/2020 23:11:07

Am i right in thinking that while the UPA3 has limit stops on facing and hence either an automatic reverse or a clutch the UPA4 doesn't. Or if it does have a limit does it have a clutch that is not gripping? I thought though that you had to have the facing pins set and used a tommy bar to provide continuous facing, or gripped the control ring as needed to advance manually but would still need the pins set otherwise there is nothing to provide the pulse to advance the leadscrew.

Someone's been trying to sell a couple of UPA4s on ebay for about a year but at £700+ not much chance.

Thread: Glow plug driver
11/07/2020 22:48:34

Just make a lead acid battery.........

Most car batteries fail because one cell alone has died so a bit of examination and a drill finds the inter-cell connections to use one of the cells on its own.

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
11/07/2020 22:42:51

Ove the past year or so we have had a dozen people join the forum having bought someling like a Colchester or M300 as their first lathe, and some getting a bridgeport too. Fifty years ago a beginner would have thought themselves lucky to find a second hand Drummond or Perfecto. People have way more disposable income nowadays along with the comparitive lower cost of machines.

Things have gone up a notch too in expectations. Is it even possible to buy a new car nowadays without electric windows and aircon let alone a radio.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
10/07/2020 23:12:56

At EDMES earlier this evening we held our second Zoom club gathering even though some of us got together earlier in the day for the usual club coffee zoom every Friday. Since all participants enjoy the chance to chat we are wondering about continuing them when regualr meetings get underway again perhaps on alternate fortnights.
We are also wondering if a group whatsapp would go down well with people, not sure how it operates as I've only used that for 1:1 video calls. Since distance becomes no object we would like to attract more distant non-members to participate.
Our Secretary is still producing daily emails to all members that's nearly 4 months he's kept it going. I can't believe anyone has put in more effort than that at any club.
We heard an event will take place in late August that we usually attend with the portable track but obviously giving rides is not on so we will have to see what if anything we can do.

At St Albans the committee used the relaxation on outdoor group meetings to hold a committee meeting at the tracksite. Luckily it was a fine day and with some not able to make it they were able to keep to the rules. No running has been taking place but some maintenance has been possible but now some major work is going to be required on the tunnel so having thought running could recommence it has to be closed again (this is private running as we don't do public rides). Our big source of income the famous September two day exhibition will not be possible this year which is a big disappointment.

Hearing Melbourne has gone back into lockdown. They have a lot of clubs around the city some of which I have visited so I wonder how they have been fairing.

Thread: I'm thinking of selling up, whats it worth?
10/07/2020 15:31:37

With the double garage storage isn't the problem but the OP said he was desperate for money. The small stuff is a hassle to sell and the dealer expects it 'thrown in'. The Myfords and shaper will get £3k altogether but it only takes 9 days for a longer auction on ebay so you can wait until the last minute and confirm level of desperation before putting them up. Since you don't really need all 3 why not get rid of one to appease the wife.
Area of country makes a difference and people's ability to travel. Nobody ever offers it but spending £50 on wood to make a proper box not a pallet and sorting out a courier could greatly increase the number interested.

Thread: elliot omnimill convert to cnc?
09/07/2020 21:31:42

Don't worry about the speed until you have got the movements sorted out after all if the computer is doing the work it doesn't matter if it takes all night. It is about the same size as a mill drill table so there are lots of equivalent conversions on the internet to look at, and some kits of motors and screws which althugh not directly usable in your case will show you the sizes.

Thread: Boring problem
09/07/2020 21:25:47

Hello, you seem to be new to the forum. Great you can join us. I suggest you read back through all the posts for the last month. We were discussing this at length twice in that period, covering inside and outside cutting effects. Just below the title of the thread you will see a link you can click called 'latest posts' which then allows you to see the newest thread titles and work your way backwards.

Thread: Message from the prime minister
09/07/2020 12:30:59

Equally the hobby of model engineering can be conducted in the kitchen as many batchelors can testify. I thought you married men needed the workshop as an excuse to get away from the one you love so dearly you have given her half your worldly possesions now and all of them on your early death.

Thread: Help to identify Myford Lathe
09/07/2020 00:34:17

Thanks for correcting me on the length George.

Thread: Hello from Norfolk
08/07/2020 22:55:25

You can make a fixed steady out of wood and brass screws. Later on make a better one out of aluminium.

08/07/2020 19:49:02

Tony ha a loton his plate so may not be able to reply to emails espcially without teh cruical details. If you read the link I gave it provides two key points for idntification between the ML1,2,3,4 of which it is definitely one. The 1 & 3 have 15in between centres (exclude chuck and tailstock retracted) and the 2 & 4 are 24in. Don't be picky about the tolerance think like a salesman. The other point is the 1 & 2 have a lower centre height than the 3 & 4, can't remember the figures.

Thread: Buying first lathe
08/07/2020 18:53:45

The J on the serial number idicates a Drummond built by Myford though initially they used Drummond serials perhaps because of split location production or using a stock of ready built parts.

08/07/2020 18:34:42

Have a look on this site for details. It looks like either an ML2 or ML4.

Thread: Buying first lathe
08/07/2020 15:38:13

That makes a lot more sense of your last post on the Drummond Group. The Drummond spindle was at best drilled 3/8 and the Myford ML4 19/32 so with your reported about 1/2 bore it looks like yours was indeed bored out thus damaging the end of the thread.

You can now check your serial (far right of bed) against the list on the Lathes.co.uk site to find the year.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
05/07/2020 11:57:20

Why not make a knew nob for the old one? cheeky

Thread: Britannia Lathe
05/07/2020 10:45:49

Also if your carbide tools are 'as bought' they may well be not sharp and even have no clearance. Some of the tools in sets do come unfinished and I think there were some photos on a post here recenty.
It sounds like you may be a woodturner so find an old 1/4 in mortice chisel, prepare it with only 15 degree bevel and instead of top rake raise it 1mm above centre, you should be able to get it in the tool clamp even with the handle still on. Just to see the difference.

Edit. Now I've looked at the photos that tool looks like carbon steel, not carbide or HSS. It may have lost its temper at the end.

Edited By Bazyle on 05/07/2020 10:49:35

Thread: 63-tooth change wheel for Portass PD5
05/07/2020 10:33:51

I think this is an area where this forum could have a page that lists all known lathes changewheels specs and gradually build up the data from people with the actual lathe. It would alos help identify mystery wheels.
Lathe: DP/Mod, Pressure angle, thickness, hole dia, key type. Any other parameters?

As an aside the only 16DP gears I know of are the back gear on a Boxford.

I recommend against steel for changewheels. Too tough to cut . No strength is required in a small lathe so aluminium and good plastic like Delrin or Tufnol are adequate. Brittle plastic like Perspex obviously not suitable.

Thread: Boxford Lathe Big Bore Conversion
04/07/2020 16:27:34
Posted by Niels Abildgaard on 04/07/2020 15:30:17:

I had sworn that I would not allow a Boxford in my house

Edited By Niels Abildgaard on 04/07/2020 15:34:47

Well I was going to excommunicate you for this sacrilege but your proposition is sufficient for a pardon, at least temporary.

Looks like you are aiming for 38mm through bore which is quite impressive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest