By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Adjusting lathe md65
19/07/2019 23:00:39

For adjusting both the saddle and the tailstock fit there are bolts that screw in from the back. One is a 'forcing screw' and pushes the joint apart and the other(s) pull it closed. You have to adjust these together in small increments. You cannot do one up tight and then correct its effect by using a big wrench on the other. It is difficult and fiddly to get smooth.

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
19/07/2019 22:50:10

The news has just been showing the seconds before the cars impacted. It appears to be not a dual carriageway but having a central reservation and roadsides covered in people when a car slowly pulled out of a side road and a fast car coming down the road tried to squeeze by it. So not racing. With that throng of people cars just using the road (a major through route) should have been down to less than 20mph.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
19/07/2019 22:14:02

I can't think how you got up to 14 o-levels. I can only remember 9 subjects and that included two English. I don't count speaking my mother tongue as still using a school subject but do notice that my vocabulary is in advance of most people at work, even the ones who are English, which is partly due to my knowledge of Latin. BTW you needed 'Use of English' as an extra exam for Oxbridge.
I have never needed much Maths to be a professional engineer and cannot really think of anything I was taught in any subject after the age of 14 that has actually been necessary, including 3 years at University. My electronics skills are all self taught.
Woodwork was an extra curricular and they had never heard of metal. I guess there were people doing music, divinity, art and languages other than French at o-level but I never noticed.

However I do not decry a good education, including University as I have always said it is essential to keep irritating youngsters out of the workplace as long as possible.

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
17/07/2019 17:52:59

So with impending doom what career advice do you give a young teen about to select GCSEs?
Engineering - need for engineers to make solutions to the problems in the future or no need as there are no materials to make things from.
Farming - at least making your own food under massive government controls like wartime but at risk from armed raids by urban gangs as well as government extortion rackets ie how taxation began.
Media studies / lawyer - no use whatsoever but might make a bucket load of dosh to pay for the rising prices.
Any other parasite job that produces nothing useful and just expect the government to support them
Army - the oikes with guns will be able to get whatever they want but some danger of rebellion, invasion etc
Doctor - might not be as useful a skill as one thinks without the supply of antibiotics and drugs.

17/07/2019 13:22:41

So my Drummond treadle lathe and hand shaper are futuristic machines! My next loco will have to be an American 440 with the wide chimney for wood fuel.

The EU regulations, Lot 23, that pushed my industry into providing low standby power devices was initially started because of the perceived high power consumption of coffee makers sitting there keeping the pot hot for hours.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 12:47:34

Who 'owns' emojis? Is Apple entitled to release them? Can we release some ME related ones? (not that I can see a point in that).

I agree about the white on grey and similar badly selected combinations. I have a problem with it at work and try to point it out where I am able to point out that it fails to meet our company policy on access for the visually impaired. (which doesn't actually mention it but they probably won't check).

Thread: Plan/Design for spanner roll?
16/07/2019 15:13:58

If it is a custom one it is good to have a pocket about 3/4 the height of the tool but also a flap just above the top of the tool to prevent slide out in transport. I nearly lost my 11mm spanner on Saturday because of that.

Thread: A few newbie questions, sorry
16/07/2019 13:31:29

If the shaft is not a perfect fit but is pulled to one side/angle by the belts it may open up the gap on one oiler and close it on the other.

Thread: Plan/Design for spanner roll?
16/07/2019 12:55:06

The material needs to have some rigidity to it. My mother once made me one out of ordinary cloth and it is annoyingly floppy.

Thread: Rusty tooling restoration
15/07/2019 20:25:13

There are quite a lot of threads already on here about rust. If you go to the website front page, not the forum front page and use the search box there it will come up with some. Quite a lot of options but for this light rusting ignore the brick/patio cleaner options.

I think the spigot o the faceplate is not part of the original and just fitted for quick mounting in a 3 jaw. The faceplate itself looks like a Picador one or one from a drill powered wood lathe.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/07/2019 17:13:41

You can often find some nice wood around the garden in small sizes. Pyracantha and hawthorne being shrub sized are not in a tearing hurry to grow big like a tree so have fine grain.

Thread: Camlock
14/07/2019 21:49:09

Do the dimensions tie up with just having 2 missing, adequate for a smaller chuck, assuming you have confirmed it fits your lathe? The lathes site mentions D1-6" for the older L 15inch series as a special instead of the L fitting, and No8-D1 for the later models such as M450.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
14/07/2019 14:07:57

I remember the adverts for these first appearing on the pages of ME and wishing I could afford one. There must be huge numbers of them around with slight variations in paint colour.
Hence I would suggest someone should invent a second stage for the QCGB to give the powers of two and write it up for MEW.

Thread: Different ways of boring a hole
14/07/2019 12:33:52

A lathe and rotating work may allow you to face the end truly square better that a mill unless you have a boring and facing head. Also with larger bores you have the potential for a huge boring bar while a boring head will be limited.
The saddle mounted setup was much more common in the days when milling machines were rarer.
An horizontal mill adds a set of variations on all three methods.

Thread: Myford ML7 tailstock bore, and threading the barrel to fit a chuck
14/07/2019 12:16:40

Do you need the bow to go though the chuck and down the inside of the chuck and through the bore of the tailstock barrel? As you are not using the morse taper it might be easier to use a plain bar or tube, drill a nice clearance hole then prepare for the chuck. You might make a plastic of wooden clamp instead of a chuck to avoid bruising. Again it might be easier to take off the tailstock, run the saddle down to the end and make a wooden clamp arrangement to mount on that.

Thread: Cable Gland?
13/07/2019 18:53:13

Work out where on the wire you need the gland to be then fit a small piece of tube there using a suitable eg silicone sealant filler. if you think the flexing wire might break the seal make the tube longer, seal one end to the wire, fill up with a non setting or softer glue, then seal the other end.

Thread: WM18 Broken :(
13/07/2019 00:04:57

Here's the mower gears, old and new, ordered Monday evening, fitted Friday. £4.65 including postage and bronze bush.
mower gears.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
12/07/2019 23:28:12

Just back from the EDMES club meeting. The boys have made a lot of progress with the track bed, worked out that the embankments are going to need a heck of a lot of fill material, but have reduced the gradients to 1 in 100. The steel for the actual track has arrived, some of it, and so some real track should appear soon.
Fitted new gears to the cricket club lawnmower earlier, fixed their 'new' strimmer, drained diesel from the expensive but defunct new generator that has to go back after 3 failures in its first 4 hours use. Couldn't drain the oil as the ridiculous design has the drain bolt with no access hole or any provision for catching the oil.

Thread: An electrostatic mystery ...
12/07/2019 23:13:20

It used to be common for cars to have a chain hanging down at the rear to stop electrostatic build up, which later was replaced by a conductive plastic strip. I suffered from car sickness as a child and fitting the chain cured it.
At school we had a vandergraff generator and one experiment was to stand on a wax block, get charged up then, with hair standing on end, shake hands with another pupil. I found this made me feel sick reinforcing the theory that being charged was the cause of my car sickness.

Thread: MEW 283 Electronic Leadscrew link
11/07/2019 18:33:27

If you print a correction in the mag can you add a warning that it is very very very boring and mostly a view of the left hand end of a lathe. Well I only skipped through the first 15 minutes but it should have been condensed to 15 seconds of actual content.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest