By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cast Iron For Boxford Change Gears?
21/05/2019 18:26:13

The 280 probably has module gears whereas you CUD has 18DP 14.5PA gears as you probably know. I'd also expect a CUD to be imperial leadscrew. Unless you are intending to cut a new cross-slide screw and be fussy about it you don't need the accuracy of an exact conversion. (a lot of Myfords have an inaccurate cross slide from new and their owners don't know it. One of our club members found out when he treated himself to a new one and found the parts he was milling did not match the ones he had made before and it wasn't due to the wear)

Thread: An old Shaper found in Phuket Town
21/05/2019 18:15:53
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 21/05/2019 15:17:11everal shops local to me still use planers for surfacing die plates for stamping dies before final finish by Blanchard grinding.

Probably better surface off the planer before the grinding.

Drummond and early Myford lathe beds were finished on something about that size. If you licked it back into shape (pun intended) you could pay for it with a refurb service.

Thread: Cast Iron For Boxford Change Gears?
21/05/2019 13:16:39

Changewheels shouldn't be under a lot of stress so you can use tufnol sheet, maybe with a nice brass hub. Delrin is another possibility, or some reinforced plastic and of course aluminium.

Steel, ordinary mild type is best avoided as it will be far more wearing on your cutter and will be noisy in use, especially a large one.

Is your leadscrew metric? As far as I remember the 127/135 combination is to do imperial gears on a metric lathe. 100/127 is the normal set for imperial lathes.

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
20/05/2019 21:35:34

With a large single acting pump the tender body rocks violently in one direction only but a balanced design is more gently on the mechanisms.

Thread: Cutting a worm?
20/05/2019 17:08:49

I was going to suggest stripping a car jack but that might now cause all sorts of unwelcome connotations.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/05/2019 22:31:40

Nipped down to the cricket field in time for half time tea and found myself stripping the new generator behind the pavilion so didn't see our side batting which was just as well as we lost heavily. Couldn't find an obvious fault so suspect the regulator. It's still under warranty so hope they can get it swapped by next weekend,

Thread: stamford show vandals
19/05/2019 22:18:59

This is going to affect all of us. Insurance premiums for clubs will undoubtedly rise mostly just to the benefit of the insurance company directors.

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
19/05/2019 21:54:23

It looks like a multifucnction casting having a cast on foot in case needed and an extension on the right that is works as a chucking piece or in other arrangements could hold a valve.
As to the 'missing' plate have you looked at where it is mounted. It obviously has the 6 bolt flange and probably mounts on a floor or sidewall. See tender drawing as it says under the rule.

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 20:27:14

There is a different type of trick that some 'reputable' UK companies use. Search for roofing sheet suppliers near Swindon and lot and behold several appear to have depots right in town which would be good to avoid delivery charges, But their head offices are in Lancashire or somewhere miles away. Dig a little deeper trying to find just where the depot is and it turns out there is no depot and it is all a front generated by the computer on the fly to make you think it will be a quick and easy delivery.

Basically some websites are generating the site on the fly with suitable words thrown in to look appropriate.

Thread: Thread Pitch Info.
18/05/2019 20:16:40
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 18/05/2019 19:35:20:

What was the Southbend thread ? My 'Southbend" backplate fits my BOXFORD and as the Southbend is American, I assume the thread to have been 60 degree 1.5 x 8 tpi.

that's odd. I have a Southbend backplate that came on a chuck and it doesn't fit my Boxford though I think the other way round does work.

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 17:42:30

It is likely that the original webname was being used as a portal selling small amounts of webspace to people and companies. Then either the whole enterprise moved on or it is still doing that but either way a computer glitch has left the old link still in an active directory responding to the name.

Think of it like a miss-filed sheet of paper.
"Hey why is there still a folder named classified ads in my filing cabinet? It's right next to the one on rock crushers. "
"Oh I need to go through that cabinet clearing it out but I haven't got round to it, but I did chuck out the contents. It should be empty."
" well is isn't empty someone stuck rock crusher stuff in here by mistake for the folder next to it"
"yeah, like I care on what you pay me"

Thread: Thread Pitch Info.
18/05/2019 17:27:06

You need to measure the thread angle, whether it is Whitworth or UNC. All the parameters are defined then against the diameter and pitch. When you look up a table of thread pitches that is just he common ones for ease of buing compatible parts but the thread standard definition can be used to calculate the dimensions for any 'odball' diameter or pitch.

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
17/05/2019 19:10:31

When I looked after the club electric loco 24v 40Ah class 08 shunter when used at the club running for an hour but not hauling passengers just the driver and maybe one extra it would recharge in half a hour or less. When used on the portable track at an event if the steamer had a problem it would be gasping after a couple of hours. So one of the things to consider is the attention span of your grandchildren.

Thread: Machine moving recommendations.
17/05/2019 13:55:45

The lathes are of course top heavy and unstable so not pallet friendly. However their stands are a framework. I would put each on 6x2 flat bearers each end about 4ft long with 4x2 ties and instantly you have something stable that if necessary a fork lift can get under.The stand provides the longitudinal strength and stability.
If you put castors on the corners (hence suggested 2x6 instead of 2x4) you have a stable movable unit that you can winch up planks into a transit van.

The mill you can do the same but I would take the turret off with an engine crane

Thread: aching ribs - posture
17/05/2019 09:59:21

Don't forget that as we get older it takes more time to recover. So you may eliminate the actual problem but still get symptoms for days of even weeks afterwards leading you to think it is some other cause. You may have to do small changes and wait for effect rather than flit around.

Thread: 5" gauge LSBC Minx
16/05/2019 21:19:20

Even back then nobody would have thought a but joint sufficient. If no reinforcing piece is shown on the drawing it might be mentioned in the text, or might have been a 'see details of my last boiler' or just considered so obvious as not to need a mention. Anyone actually building the boiler would have quickly found the extension needed something to hold it on while being soldered.
The shortfall in some of the older designs tends to be around crown stays wrt current thinking but you need to go over the design with a boiler inspector if you can.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/05/2019 10:03:49

Danny, Useful information. I know this plastic as Correx. Perhaps you could add that tradename to your article to help search engines find the advice too.

Thread: North West 200 coverage
13/05/2019 21:06:06

To save others from wasting their time this is about mortorbike racing.

Please when posting a link provide some explanation of the content. And no, people reading a model engineering forum won't all know what the title is about.

Thread: EDMES at Thorverton, Devon, 12 May
10/05/2019 23:23:10

Hi Devonians. Ok in 60 years in the county I'd never heard of Thorverton either but it is the venue for a tractor rally this weekend and Exeter & District MES will run their portable track.

If you have been putting off coming to visit us on our club nights why not come along to this meeting and make contact while seeing a few other mechanical things and having a day out of the workshop.

Sunnymead, Raddon Road, Thorverton, EX5 5PJ

Thread: Oil, lubricating the lathe
10/05/2019 11:30:30

Leave the hydraulic oil in your JCB. If you have a gearhead lathe use ATF in the head but don't use thin oil for other lubrication like bearings of belt drive lathes. Car oil on the gears and apron. Slideway oil is slightly better fro the sliding bits but not essential. The changewheels don't need a clingy oil or grease as it hangs on to dust and swarf to make grinding paste - if it is being slung off there is too much by far. The only time you do need a lot of oil on the gears is to wash off the grease you had on before.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale May 19
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest