By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi from Birmingham
18/01/2019 23:30:48

I had not heard of this wheel cutting device before and google only has a couple of pictures. Perhaps you can work out how to post a few rather clearer pictures of it to clarify it for us all.

Thread: My Hercus 9 Restoration.
18/01/2019 22:24:40

Re apron rebuilding. If the clutch is the same as the Boxford then the screw in the middle of the star wheel is RH thread.

Thread: Hobby lathe
18/01/2019 13:54:55

I think SOD's post is meant for another thread. Is it possible to move it (and delete this) to keep both on track?

Thread: Is it just me?
18/01/2019 09:08:16

I think it is because the site is made with a Wordpress template that provides a contact page so they make a contact email address but don't redirect it to any of the employees. If there is a contact initially they might leave or just forget to look at that email regularly.
They also often have the sites made up by a 'professional' who is a geek using the latest fast computer with infinite memory and maybe Linux with an odd browser with special add-ons. So they don't check if the website pages work on normal slow computers with regular mainstream software.

Thread: Intended function of gib screws
17/01/2019 22:32:49

I would say it is perfectly normal to have a row of gib screws and for one to be say a cap head and be used for locking. Many gibs only have 3 screws. Since locking implies the movement provided by gibs is not in use there is no need for the screws not to be dual function.

It is no different from the description of lathes having both metric and imperial screwcutting capability. They are not independent - they use the same leadscrew and many of the gears in common.

Thread: New member with a question
17/01/2019 18:21:16

Here is thread you can read. It probably has as much positively bad advice in it as good advice, and that would apply to most lists, threads, websites.
An oldish book might be a bit more practical and restrained. It is all too easy on the internet in whatever form to throw in a long list but with a book the author took a bit of time and could only give it one shot before publication.

It also depends on what you are doing and how much you have to spend. You can cut an iron bar with a blunt file (if you are in jail), or a junior hacksaw, or a full size hacksaw, or a power hacksaw, each one new or second hand. Do you have money or time?

Thread: Hobby lathe
17/01/2019 13:27:52

A Boxford would be cheaper and less of a disappointment than a Myford if used to an S&B.

Thread: Hobby mill
17/01/2019 13:22:53

If your wooden floor is in a shed you can always cut a hole in the boards and put in a small concrete pad to sit the machine on of if the shed is on a concrete base putting solid wood up from that to the mill feet to maintain insulation.

It would be worth while getting along to the show at Ally Pally this weekend to see some import machines in the flesh and talking to some people on the club stands. Failing that perhaps visit Warco/Arc/Chester whichever is nearest. You might find someone in your nearby club who has one of the 14/16/18 size to give you a real feel for the relative size of each type.

Thread: lathe to cut 26tpi
16/01/2019 14:37:22

Given that 26 tpi, as per the op's need, is fairly common worldwide even in metric countries, it is a pretty poor show that it is not one of the standard threads the lathe designer/specifier listed as a mandatory feature. It shows how the manufacturers and procurement departments are totally divorced from any real life use of their product.

If there are lathes being built in this country I wonder if any of the staff are model engineers, member of ME clubs, subscribers, and readers of this forum. Having raised the question of the build location wouldn't it be nice if someone came on here this evening to say he has spent the day grinding lathe beds in the UK..
Apart from JS coming on here occasionally to say he made the collet blocks for Arc we never hear from UK manufacturers of anything. I haven't been able to report such myself for about 20 years and not even sourced UK built product for 15.

15/01/2019 17:40:14

Most of the import lathes at the moment with knob type gearboxes are designed to give some metric and some imperial threads for any given arrangement of change wheels unlike a Norton box giving you all imperial or many metric at one set-up. Inevitably when you want two threads on one job the second thread will require wheel changes.

Rather a poor show for Warco to say the gears are not available. They should be making sure they are available.

It's not clear if you are spending your own or the company's money. If it was your shop burned down then commiserations. I think as a pro you should be looking at an M300 or Colchester.

Thread: Use of Colour on Drawings
15/01/2019 17:26:07

Only 1. Lots of printers just can't handle shades of grey as you pointed out. Colours and shading is also a big problem with projectors though not likely to be relevant here, unless you were doing designs for a model making school class.

Thread: Zyto Owners Only. Other Riff Raff can keep out :P
14/01/2019 22:34:27

As you mentioned above making one out of wood that wood wink be a good idea so you can experiment with the geometry at minimal cost. Also you will need pulleys and motor so you might as well get those as they will be easy to sell if you do suddenly find the original. At a pinch you can make mock up the plummer blocks in wood and with brass tube or iolite bearings will enable you to run your lathe for real. If gravity doesn't provide enough belt tension fit a bungee cord.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
14/01/2019 17:28:18

Phil, Do you know if the tacho also provides an output pulse that can be used by something else? Perhaps the sensitivity was specified for a magnet flat on and would improve with the sensor facing the magnet, not that it matters now it is working.

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition - Alexandra Palace
14/01/2019 13:32:52

A few decades ago our club used to arrange a bus up to the midlands show. About five years ago we just managed to fill a minibus to get to the Bristol show which had curiosity value as only a few had been before. Now it is difficult to get people to man the club stand even with free entrance.

In some areas of the country, eg midlands,  it might still be possible to get several clubs together to fill a bus which seems the best hope for both modellers and exhibitions. Unfortunately if left to a commercial operator the profit motive would just whack the price up to the train level.

Edited By Bazyle on 14/01/2019 13:35:25

Thread: Motor Setup
14/01/2019 00:22:17

Ian, look at the first photo in the 'Zyto owners only' thread. If you can set it up a bit like that, but with the mounting point nearer the late and the main arm leaning backwards then it puts tension on the belt. In the Zyto version he has an arm to hold it upright and apply tension. In David's second picture above there is a horizontal knurled nut which is another method of pushing the intermediate shaft assembly back which you might need if the motor weight is not enough.

13/01/2019 19:47:25

The missing part is the 'backgear layshaft' which has two gears, one large one small. However it is not essential to getting the lathe going to start with.

Do you understand how the belt drive is arranged? Your first picture in album shows it more assembled. It needs to be arranged so that the weight of the motor helps tension the belts.

Thread: Yet more confusion!
12/01/2019 18:55:36
Posted by SteveW on 12/01/2019 16:24:43:

Or, is it a sign that the poles north and South are about to reverse?

I hope that doesn't happen I don't want to live in the North!

Could we then have Christmas in the summer?

Thread: Powerline question
11/01/2019 23:53:36

I have a mixture coming up the road even though they replaced the poles a week before Christmas. The pole replacing crew was obviously not the line replacing crew. The telephone line also runs on the same poles but in a couple of places for no apparent reason they left the old pole to still carry that and put a new one in only for the electricity.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
11/01/2019 23:38:14

About 70% of the membership turned up at EDMES for my talk on collets and adaptors which was reassuring. Plus a possible new member. I forgot to ask if he frequents the forum. Hi Craig if you do. laugh

Thread: Lathe crash!
11/01/2019 17:36:13

Using the 'tumbler reverse' will lose your registration of the spindle and leadscrew because it is changing some gears around.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest