By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rob Roy Build/ Rally
02/04/2020 20:53:12

Hi Phil, I don't know if you have been involved in previous threads on the Rob Roy but as you are keen on getting on without the chance to get to the rally are you fully aware of the clearance problems involved with the valve gear when made to drawing?

Thread: Academia.edu
02/04/2020 12:53:42

Surely this isn't google to blame here - they already have all that info in your contacts. It is the different provider of the app who want to mine the info who are targeting the google info because they know it is where valuable info is.

Thread: DTI base
01/04/2020 12:24:40

Ditch the fine adjuster bit and if necessary use an ordinary bit of steel for that arm. Replace the adjusters with normal bolts with a smaller wing nut shape soldered on.

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 17:43:36

It isn't the plug that is a threat unless you expect it to b used by children or halfwits and you could easily clue on a plastic disc with 3 holes in it if you are really worried. The danger as mentioned above will be fire especially as it is advertised as 70W . It is switched mode so no transformer and probably fully potted inside which actually helps heat dissipation. Of course there are lots of non CE items being imported as long as you allow advertising and direct shipping of electrical goods. What do you expect - trading standards to open every package arriving from China?

Thread: There is always another
30/03/2020 12:32:16

Thanks. Sent to my Nephew who works at La Trobe, the rather better University in Melbourne. However his MIL works at UniMelb and probably knows the guy.

Thread: Copper pipe Diameter Reduction
30/03/2020 01:16:01

How about the device used for cutting copper pipe that looks like a gclamp to screw down a cutting wheel onto the pipe. Replace all wheels with rounded wheels that can be progressively squeezed down onto the well annealed pipe while rotating.

Thread: Insulating board that won't drop powder as it is touched
30/03/2020 00:52:24

Another angle is to make a thin stainless steel box or find a suitable shape in cooking utensil and surround with rockwool. Need some kind of asbestos paper substitute Kaowool? for electrical insulation or are you making a big box with a hot plate inside it?

Thread: Possible machine hoist?
29/03/2020 20:40:14
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 29/03/2020 12:06:06:

Take a look at my Elevating Barrow in my Album, works a treat ! Sad to say, it was not my idea, I just copied it.

Looks good Larry. More photos please, and some dimensions of material used for uprights.

Thread: Insulating board that won't drop powder as it is touched
29/03/2020 16:20:18

This is a very low temperature so why not use vermiculite board? Stands up to hot red heat and at 300c won't even tarnish.

Thread: Myford ML7 4mm Screw Cutting
29/03/2020 12:35:19

One way you can allow for the strain on course pitches is to use a wire and pulley and weight (or a bungee) to pull the carriage along and use the action of the leadscrew to act as a brake not a driver.

Thread: Manual for Elliott / Victoria / Gate Omnimill 00
28/03/2020 13:33:36

Have you joined the ex yahoo group?
It has been a bit quiet of late and I just went over there to have a look and found a post I had forgotten about by me pointing back to this forum - ha ha round in circles.
Must admit I get a bit confused between the 181, Juniormill, and 00 all pretty much the same.

It has a lot in common with the Tom Senior currently discussed on another thread. If moving one the weight is closer to the net weight not the gross weight given on data sheets. Can't understand where they get the gross weight from unless it is including a shipping crate made from plate steel.

Edited By Bazyle on 28/03/2020 13:42:04

Thread: Morse tapers
27/03/2020 20:19:08

Again if you look at my post you see how easy it can be when not using sines etc. There are reasons why before computers they specified tapers as per inch or per foot and not by angles.

27/03/2020 19:48:00

Look up the taper per inch on the internet. You should find some tables that give the taper per inch, which is the taper for both 'sides' so twice the amount you want so divide by 2.
That is per inch but you have 5 inches - so multiply by five.
No 2 is easy 0.05 per in >> 0.125 gauge block.
No 4 is nearly the same, 0.0519 >> 0.13 gauge block.

Now if someone wants to quibble that the 5 in is along the hypotenuse you are right but the difference is in the tenths and I don't have tenths shims.

You almost feel they made the No 2 a clean round figure then when making the No 4 it was after lunch and a sandwich crumb got squished under the block.

Thread: Buying online delivery problems.
27/03/2020 13:46:08

"big UK commercial sellers" are probably more affected by staff shortages and perhaps deliver bulk drops to the post office that is either busy or wanting to leave the pile a while to detoxify.

I've had two deliveries of junk mail. I've previously suggested the postie not bother in miserable weather to brush past the water laden shrubs drooping over the path but he says he is legally obliged to and likes the garden in summer at least.

27/03/2020 00:05:58

Still a lot of things being advertised as 'collect only'. Kind of dumb as strictly only eligible for people within walking distance who have a hand cart.
Some sellers might agree the sale is concluded with payment of a deposit and pickup when appropriate. Ebay rather slow on the uptake should have brought in procedures to handle this. But hey they get their fees and it's the users problem.

How about if you drive there with a pasty (food delivery) and they include a jam tart (food collection). Or you both meet in a supermarket car park.

Edited By Bazyle on 27/03/2020 00:08:48

Thread: Keeping busy
26/03/2020 22:53:55

I was half way through chiselling hinge recesses in a shed door at the end of the garden when I thought how much neater and easier it would have been if I had electricity for the router or a battery router when I realised that as the door was off its hinges I could have just taken it down to the house where there is electricity. Doh!

Thread: Machine feet/mounts?
26/03/2020 19:29:15

You might designate this unhelpful but if the garage floor is 'rough' it won't hurt to have a few dabs of cement at the target points levelled off with a carefully selected bit of 4x4 which can find a subsequent use. I think any kind of screwed foot adds a point for flexing. If it were only 4 feet I'd suggest 3 fixed and only one adjustable (front right one).

Thread: Internet crash
26/03/2020 16:12:35

No need to panic over the initial topic of this thread. Although traffic is up during the day due to home working it is still below daily network peaks from pre-lockdown and oddly evening traffic is actually down owing to the bandwidth reduction by Netfix.

Just a reminder that if you are having problems first check that you are in wireless range as that is still the biggest issue and with about 30 million extra devices in use at home round the country the chances of interference from your kids or neighbour's phone is highly likely. (figure is my extrapolation of excusive data available to me) Next best solution is to turn it off and on again. Sometimes the order in which you do this makes a difference.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
26/03/2020 16:00:32

Not much response to this thread, Perhaps Nigel and I are the only people who attend clubs. EDMES secretary Ces is doing a splendid job putting out daily newsletters with comments on people's workshop progress, photos, and humorous cartoons to keep us reminded of the club's existence.

We at EDMES are worried about our finances as we can hardly ask members to fork out for the new membership year with no activities and no progress on the track possible and even worse some might decide not to bother after they have got out of the habit of attending activities.

Insurance is due soon and we must approach the insurers and Southern Fed (or Northern Fed) about some kind of consideration, perhaps 6 months at reduced level to account for lack of activity. I urge other clubs to make the same approach, even if you premium is not imminently due. I know some clubs have substantial rents to pay and could be in trouble while others have substantial reserves from public running so not all are as close to the line.

Thread: Any ideas please
26/03/2020 00:08:36

You want neoprene to be oil resistant. **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest