By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wooden display base
20/11/2018 18:19:03

Just had another thought. Try looking for a local sign maker as house signs and nameplates are about that size. If in Devon try Notice-it in Topsham. Only thing is the lead up to Christmas is busy for them as a people think of easy presents.

20/11/2018 18:01:09

Google your town for woodwork / turning /carving club /society. Likely that someone will be happy to make one for you and possibly in exchange for a metal bit for one of his projects.

Thread: 1950/60 car electronic rev counter
20/11/2018 17:58:22
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 20/11/2018 17:35:32:

Some rev counters used a feed from the alternator, normally on diesels.

Yes, I wired the one fro my Landy to the alternator but don't quite remember where. I think it was just to the output but might have been to somewhere before the rectifier bridge. Calibration was by twiddling a screw to get the right sort of reading on tickover.

Thread: Brass or cycle thread ?
19/11/2018 13:50:06

duplicate

Edited By Bazyle on 19/11/2018 13:50:24

19/11/2018 13:38:39

If you can find or make known threads you can test with engineer's blue which is the best fit.

Thread: Unrecognised Acronym on ebay listings 'UKPL'
18/11/2018 13:32:57

It might be UK Power Lister which is a common boast for foreign sellers but they are not using it on their other listings. So it might be a genuine part of the description such as Un-Known Plastic layer.

Thread: Death of Model Engineering?
16/11/2018 20:01:02

Funnily enough someone brought this up at our club meeting which must have been about an hour before this thread was started. We were also voting on an increase in subs which are lower for OAPs. The Treasurer remarked that of the 32 people present I was the only one still in full time employment. When I joined I think I was 33 and while probably the youngest then at least half were paying full subs. Now I think only six out of 80 are working and several of those are part time and past retirement age.
It was even suggested that we should drop the 'engineering' from our club name to emphasise the need to diversify from pure metal and balsa bashing to take in the plastic kits, model cars, makers etc.

Thread: 3D Printer Engineering
16/11/2018 12:20:33

If you think the leadscrew has an error shouldn't it be possible to compensate. After all isn't that how some of the bed levelling processes work?

People used to buy a basic car and add features and trim even a radio when they weren't standard because they couldn't afford the whole cost at once but could progressively. So the same should be true for printers.
Particularly in our hobby I would expect to replace plastic bits with metal. Maybe picking a common design like the Prusa i3 and providing drawings of key bits to improve would be a valid topic for MEW.

Thread: Changewheel conundrum
16/11/2018 08:08:20

I think some lathes have been seen before where not everything proposed had been tested by the makers and some fettling was required. It might be that you have to file the banjo slot to allow sufficient movement.

The lathe John S was working on was a Colchester which is a far cry from a far eastern garage lathe. The Colchester gearbox also has the best metric approximations in its QCGB that I know of slightly surpassing the Harrison.

Edited By Bazyle on 16/11/2018 08:12:59

Thread: Hollow Stays
16/11/2018 08:04:53

It is noticeable that continental locos, in fact almost all apart countries from British designed locos are festooned with external pipes. Unless they have some facilities that our magical locos don't need then it must be that our designers are finding ways to hide such pipes and they have all, including the blower feed on the outside. Yes?

Thread: Quick release hook
15/11/2018 23:25:42

It is really quite simple and I saw something suitable in use on a farm for holding open a hatch albeit at a lower load. Just scale to fit.
It was a chain ending in a foot long bar. The bar was passed through a staple in the hatch and doubled back to lie alongside the chain (vertically up). A foot of scaffold pipe slid down the chain over the bar so it couldn't move and the weight of the pipe kept it in place. A rope over a pulley would pull the pipe up releasing the bar which flipped down to release the hatch. The length of the bar meant there was little force so little friction to prevent the tube moving up. It could be released from the other end of the barn but was 100% secure so couldn't accidentally drop the door on an animal.

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
14/11/2018 13:03:33

I got a copy of Turbocad (2D) about 20 years ago. The probability of it working on my current computer is ......nil. Certainly the computer it was on (a 286) died and the Pentium did too, well it's 2Gig disc did and replacements that small weren't available.
So maybe it will still be able to run on my new computer when this one dies in 5 years. Perhaps I will get 10 years use which is £20 per year but more likely only 7 years so say £25pa or 50p per week. Unlikely to use it more than once a week so every time I click on it will be 50p.
In perspective although 50p a week used to be a lot in my youth now it is way cheaper than TV tax and just 1% of my petrol bill. Although it is stand alone I'm sure internet connectivity will be an effective essential and that may well actually cost more than the license.
However I'm not convinced myself yet as I would be very reluctant to spend more than £100 on a bit of tooling apart from the obvious big ones of Mill and lathe and they are solid metal that doesn't go 'poof' or melt away in 7 years.

Edited By JasonB on 14/11/2018 15:39:49

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
13/11/2018 22:27:40

Thanks Jason. Memory working. Download tomorrow with any luck.

13/11/2018 15:19:19

I've got some more memory now which hopefully will work but the website doesn't mention the disc requirements. Anyone notice what it takes up? I've only got 30Gigs left on my drive so do I need to offload some pictures to make more room? I'm thinking of getting an SSD if there are bargains on Black Friday but that's a week or two away.

Thread: DRUMMOND B TYPE ?
13/11/2018 08:28:40

You have probably found out already but for people reading this far in the future it is a "pre-B" that is one made before the B-type. They never called then "A-type" presumably not thinking about the future enough hence we use the rather odd designation. It is characterised by the leadscrew being down the middle of the bed and ceased production before WW1.
The B-type is easily recognised by the flat bar along the front as well as the leadscrew and sometimes the round bar brace going across the top of the headstock like a handle, and a basic apron with permanently engaged nut on the leadscrew.

Thread: Solution found to the World's biggest problem . . .
12/11/2018 12:41:13
Posted by Danny M2Z on 12/11/2018 09:46:50:

The world's biggest problem is overpopulation.

I was thinking that but a news report on Friday said there was a concern that the rate had dropped below sustainable levels, that presumably in the west only but it wasn't clear if that was actually a decreasing population or maintaining the rate of growth that provides an endless supply of surplus youths to support the aged.

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
08/11/2018 17:41:45

Russell, what is the French name for Yorkshire fittings?

If they ban copper plumbing the alternative is plastic - can't have that, so back to the old Roman hypocaust. Can't use clay pipes as that would produce too much CO2 in firing the clay so maybe I can set up a wooden pipe boring factory, water powered of course.

Thread: Graham Sadler’s grinding rest (ME 4597-99)
07/11/2018 18:28:03

Rod, I was puzzled at first but realised you are talking about one of our Facebook entries. (we seem to have two with the same name somehow). I think it is probably a Stuart Victoria but will check with the person who put the page together.

Thread: what Christmas present
07/11/2018 17:46:00
Posted by Mark Rand on 05/11/2018 22:50:52:

£500 worth of floor space.

Wise decision giving you the room to house next year's £500 present.

Thread: Graham Sadler’s grinding rest (ME 4597-99)
06/11/2018 23:39:22

Something killed the ending.

The reason for listing the settings for 8 in is that Screwfix have a Titan grinder (their in-house name) for only £35 TTB521GRB.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest