By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sewage dumping
25/10/2021 09:23:05

Seems strange that when it rains people all rush to the loo and do the washing rainbow to create a load of extra sewage. Or could it be that the real problem is not the water companies but householders who have their gutters connected to the sewage system instead of soakaways.

Thread: Ferrous, facing, HSS tool geometry
24/10/2021 20:02:30

The most important thing for a beginner is to stop thinking tool shape and grinding is in any way difficult or a black art. Starters get drawn into buying sets of carbide tools and QCTPs thinking it will provide some magic solution while in practice they usually make things worse. (bad shape, blunt, less rigid).
The reason books are full of it is because it is so trivial. The writer could knock off a quick chapter and get paid. Metalwork teachers liked promoting the waffle and diagrams in the books 'cos they could sleepwalk through a few easy lessons while filling in their pools coupon.
So forget all the faff, don't waste time of videos (the new incarnation of the lazy textbook author) just look at a picture and grind anything that isn't obviously 90 degrees to be roughly 10 degrees (well 90-10 = 80). Actual angles aren't important but try to have a simple simple simple grinding rest that allows you to repeat the angle for touch up grinding without having to take a load more metal off.

Thread: Coupling and drawbar standards
22/10/2021 18:17:04

Er, shouldn't the loco and driving truck match, then you have multiple options at the rear of your driving truck. With your weight on the truck it should be stable but maybe consider what happens if you have a small child driving.

Thread: Hi Far from new/poorly bench top lathe
19/10/2021 13:16:41

No. Not Miiitary. The B-type was available in a form for naval use, only to the Admiralty initially, with a second front shaft that provided power cross feed. And is called the Admiralty pattern. This was necessary to cope with a rolling ship but later some escaped to the army and civilians Only used on very small ships they later got reassigned to submarines in use up until the 'sixties judging from the demob dates of a couple. Some may have been 'in service' for 50+ years.
Later when the M-type was designed the Admiralty modifications were provided on that lathe so you see both types. The Admiralty version also has another name that I can't remember but interested parties will be reading the Lathes site which mentions it.

The B-type headstock was revised more than once and also gets modified by engineers doing a mix and match. I have a B-type with a pre-B headstock perhaps as they used up some residual parts.

Edited By Bazyle on 19/10/2021 13:21:02

18/10/2021 22:54:02

It is a B-type with a self modified apron, not an uncommon change to provide a halfnut to disconnect the leadscrew as the original B-type was permanently engaged.

It should be an 8 tpi leadscrew, only the roundbed had a 10tpi leadscrew (aka model A but not to be confused with the pre-B which was never called A as they didn't realise they were going to make a B)
Since there has been a change to the apron the spindle and other parts may have been modified. These lathes date from a period when many owners were machinists so confident to make new parts as they wore out or needed upgrades. However you will find the details of the standard nose thread on the above linked sites.

Join groups.io Drummond group. That site has all that is ALL the existing information on Drummond lathes.

Thread: First Clock in Metric
18/10/2021 21:39:49

Have a look at this clock thread which has quite a lot of description.
Now don't be put off by the title, it was just a design feature instead of shiny brass and one version built for a man's daughter.
The clock is either a copy or of a generic style that was serialised in ME or EIM or Horological Journal 14 or more years ago as an egg timer initially, then upgraded to a simple clock possibly called "beginners clock" by John Wilding. It used fairly large teeth to make it easy for beginners and the articles showed how to make it on a very small lathe.

Thread: Boxford ?
15/10/2021 15:46:15

The lever on top of the lathe is for the backgear.
maybe we need to start from teh very beginning. ave you plugged it in?
if it didn't come with a standard 3 pin British mains plug do you know if it a 3-phase or single phase motor. If you cannot confidently answer this question you need to find someone who can. It is too dangerous for someone with so little understanding of things electrical and mechanical to mess with it.

If the electrics are ok and the chuck goes round under power you can go on to the next step, but do the tests without power, just rotate the chuck by hand to avoid breaking things.

Does the leadscrew go round when you rotate the chuck? That's the long rod that goes all the way along the front. If not as Vngvar says have you tried the lever to the very left of the lathe. You need to move the machine so you can open the left cover and see what is going on under it.

15/10/2021 13:32:39

It is an AUD. Tat is an Under Drive model A.
Forget facebook unless you have already had the lobotomy . After reading all of the relevant pages on Lathes.co.uk join the Groups.io Boxford group.

Also use the search function on this site's main page to search for the hundreds of threads on the Boxford, Southbend, and Hercus.

First the leadscrew must be turning which you will check while turning the chuck by hand. Then the chromed lever in the middle of the saddle must be in the middle position. Then the black handle on the right will be able to engage the half nuts (up) to enable threading - check still only under hand power. Then release that lever (down). There is an interlock between it and the chromed lever. The clutch does not affect this.

Move the chrome lever up to select feed. You may need to jiggle it a bit to release the interlock. Now turning the chuck will cause the clutch star wheel to rotate.
The clutch works by turning clockwise to pull a rod towards you that engages the friction clutch. Test still under hand power. There is a bit of slack to take up but eventually the big handwheel will rotate. To release the clutch rotate anticlockwise maybe a couple of turns but you also often need to push it in if it is sticky. The clutch is NOT meant to be done up rock solid so when under power holding the big handwheel should cause it to slip. Also you do NOT run the saddle up to the stop under power or it will move the stop. Use the handwheel to slow it down just before contact and gently control the last mm.

Don't forget the apron needs oil which has probably leaked out. If you do strip the apron there are two traps. The clutch central screw is a reverse thread. The grubscrew on the right side of the apron that should release the black lever has a second grubscrew deep down the hole.

Read all the Boxford threads on the forum. Th above advice and more has been repeated many times.

Thread: Workshop lighting / energy costs
14/10/2021 17:55:11

I think a few years ago the eco-target was 10kWh per day of energy of whatever source including heating, average for the year. Unfortunately a typical house roof PV installation only gives on average 2kWh per day, and most of that not when you need it.

Thread: Randa lathe has me much confused
14/10/2021 17:28:53

Use the search facility on the front page of the site to search for other threads on the Randa lathe.

Thread: Solid Edge - Community Edition
12/10/2021 10:53:42

Ian, Thankyou for the introduction and instructions. You mentioned 3 intro videos provided once downloaded. Are these available directly. Their website seems to go out of its way to avoid any actual details about the product.

Thread: Transporting 5 inch live steam loco
11/10/2021 19:32:39

My loco is firmly fixed inside a sturdy ply transport box - full 6 sides it also hides it from view if necessary. Moving is then a case of how do you move any 150lb wooden crate, though don't get carried away. You may have emptied the side tanks but did you remember the lubricator was still full surprise.

Ex warehouse hydraulic flat topped lifting table move locos, lathes, other strange things though the minimum height of 1ft meant I had to make the storage trolley higher.

Incidently what is the best car for a model engineer? I wish I had bought one of those van derived cars like Peugot Partner etc. Hoping they bring out a hybrid version of that style before my Fiesta wears out and the world goes impractically all electric.

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
10/10/2021 20:17:04

You only need 3Mbps for Standard definition TV, Netflix et al can use less if they detect your connection is poor. HD maybe 8Mbps, UHD maybe 16Mbps. Fibre isn't necessary for the individual customer, only for aggregation of multiple customers. Latency and dropped packets due to noise are more significant in practice.

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
10/10/2021 11:43:57

Interesting to hear the Myford back gear are 'modified'. Another odd one is the RanDa lathe back gears (not their changewheels) as was brought up on a thread last year. Info to store in the little grey cells.

As for quality of teeth I have some changewheels from a Britannia that are cast as 'pegs' straight sides and round top and not then machined. Minimum cost. I find when I pair a 60 with a 30 the ratio is somehow still 2:1 despite the crude teeth. How come? wink

Spec? I swear some people on this forum would need a fully dimensioned drawing with tolerances to BS blahblah to make a tommy bar.cheeky

Thread: Antikythera Mechanism
09/10/2021 20:31:14

Added to the problem the original might have been distorted in the sinking of the ship, whatever point it got broken, the stresses of corroding etc.
However I would also expect to go to more depth than just a single x-ray of the object as nowadays there is more sophisticated 3D x-ray imaging, multiple wavelength, and possibly going into neutron scans.
That data would need to be examined for each hole effectively treating the light to dark transitions at the edge as if it were a sloping crater, then decide on possible values for how far down the crater you take as the edge. Process that round the hole and decide where the centre is depending on what you have taken as an edge value.
Once you have the multiple possible centres for each hole you can then process the array of holes.

Having recently had a presentation on machine learning (aka neural network) I feel this is just the sort of problem it can work on, almost instantly testing hundreds of variables from the data I outlined above and giving you a probability of the fit to each of your hole counts. Surely someone has done this as a 3rd year university project.

Thread: J & S 1310
09/10/2021 11:44:52

I take it you are measuring the outer end of the throat . An int taper male does does not go in full depth of the socket - the dimensions given are just gauge points and the actual length provided by the manufacturer is variable. So if your outer end is 1.4 then it is probably intended for Int40 arbors. It is important that the arbor sits proud as in life some male tapers might have been damaged and reground and must not then vanish down the hole,

The manufacturers of toolroom grinders were not entirely stupid They knew the primary purpose of the machine would be to sharpen the cutters for the works milling machines which would mostly have Int40 or Int50 spindles unless the company had been suckered into getting one with a proprietary taper to get locked into single source spares. Matching that on the workhead enabled greater precision and speed of turnaround,

Thread: Being nice to a vise
08/10/2021 23:09:42

Anyone who didn't know the screw modification for the vice on a bandsaw should have a look at the many blogs and youtubes on bandsaw mods as you have probably missed a lot of other tweaks that are helpful.

Thread: Rust Protection
08/10/2021 14:11:17

I think a duvet is too thick and cannot breathe so it will be perpetually damp. Just a cotton sheet works best.
If you have replaced some of your old incandescent bulbs with LEDs recently like you should have rig say two 60W bulbs in series in the cabinet under the lathe. In series they will reduce to just a few watts each. this will mean teh lathe is still cold but it is hotter than anything else, so should push the moisture away to your other tools.

Thread: J & S 1310
07/10/2021 19:43:00

You know that BT taper, Iso taper and INTernational tapers are all the same angle, all 7/24.

A google of ISO20 came up with this instantly.

The small 20 size is much more common in USA ebay than the UK.

06/10/2021 23:43:29

INT20 is the one sometimes used for T&C grinder workheads. Never seen one on ebay when I was looking a few years ago as they would normally be carefully kept with the grinder or binned when some dumbos liquidated the business.

All the INT sizes have the same taper but the base threaded boss for the drawbar won't allow a larger size to fit the smaller socket. However a BTversion (ie BT30) which has the same taper as the INT but no boss can clumsily fit and ISO20 or INT20 socket I think.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest