By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings David Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Axminster Engineer Series CQ6230A-2/910 Lathe -
15/12/2014 02:42:56

I have had one for 3 years, and really like it. Because the chucks don't thread on you can happily run in reverse for parting off, and I was able to get a 5C collet chuck for it too.

The only problem I have is stuff less than 3/16" can't be gripped by the chuck which mine came with so I have to make little collets or use the 5C if I have one of the correct size.

But the separate carriage/cross-slide feed so you're not wearing your leadscrew out is nice, as is the ability to reverse the feed.

Not having to mess about with belts for changing speed is also great.

The only thing I'd like to know is what the screw thread on the non-chuck end of the spindle is so I could make a handle for it.

Regards, David.

Thread: Fitting Steel Tyres to Locomotive Wheels
24/11/2014 04:06:38

The steel tyres on my loco are loctited to the cast iron wheels with no pins etc. One of them came loose once in about 5 years. Seems to work well enough.

Thread: Issue 218 will be a bit special...
20/07/2014 12:50:20

I really enjoyed this issue, and I like the short articles like Stub Mandrel. That is a great little project to use some scrap. The spade drill article is good too.

I even enjoyed the beginner's article about the Stuart engine.

Regards,

David Taylor.

Thread: #209 - new look
20/11/2013 08:41:29

I like the new look - seems more "open and airy" , and appreciate the plans in #210. I think the last few issues have had some more interesting articles than there were for a while, and I liked the charts that were in recently too.

I think the magazine is going well at present.

Regards,

David.

Thread: Extra Special Subscription Gift for Model Engineers’ Workshop
20/11/2013 08:38:02

Thanks for working on a gift for us overseas readers, much appreciated.

I probably would have re-subscribed anyway but the drill attachment made me even more glad to do so. I hope I there is still stock.

I was going to buy one of these soon so good timing for me.

Regards,

David.

Thread: MEW200
15/02/2013 00:35:49

I enjoyed it - as mentioned elsewhere the HH table in a single article gave me a feeling of good value, and I'm sure I'll enjoy reading about the ball turner. Collets article was interesting too.

Thread: Repeated articles
15/02/2013 00:22:18

I'd forgotten the other thing that put me off and that is the extensive coverage of IMLEC and the model engineering shows. None of that is of any interest to me yet seemed to take up a lot of space over a number of issues.

I hope Diane gets plenty of new articles to see the magazine through as it will be a shame if it is reduced to reprints and show reports.

Regards,

David.

13/02/2013 06:47:35

The LBSC reprints did me in. I think his construction articles in book form would be an interesting purchase but I wasn't keen on seeing them in the magazine.

It feels like each issue now contains installments of a couple of long running projects, plus LBSC, but little else.

I've changed my subscription to MEW because I started buying up volumes of old MEs from the mid-60s and found I enjoyed the tools-and-techniques type articles more than reading about where to drill holes in a set of frames yet again.

I don't want to disparage the authors who are writing the articles, thank goodness someone is, but ME just seems to be missing something to me.

Regards,

David.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest