By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings David Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
01/12/2020 03:51:14

I had a look at an open source add-in https://github.com/TimPaterson/Fusion360-Batch-Post and regarding the rapids it seems to do a post-post-process - ie loads and analyses the post processed g-code.

I decided to have a look at the Tormach milling post-processor and have added a simple patch to put at least some of the rapid Z moves back. It seems F360 milling toolpaths often start with a rapid X/Y move, followed by two rapid Z moves, then goes into the cutting. So if my patch sees a Z move that goes to above 0 (ie above the stock when the top of stock = 0) it emits a G0 rather than G1.

This restores rapids to the start and end of a toolpath, and also on the way up after a cutting pass when doing multiple depths.

This might not go well for you if you don't have +Z above your stock, or don't get toolpaths similar mine!

function onLinear(_x, _y, _z, feed) {
  // existing post-processor code
  var x = xOutput.format(_x);
  var y = yOutput.format(_y);
  var z = zOutput.format(_z);
  var f = feedOutput.format(feed);

// use rapids for Z movement to Z > 0 and no X/Y
  if (_z > 0 && ! (x || y)) {
    writeBlock(gMotionModal.format(0), x, y, z, "(Assumed rapid)";
    feedOutput.reset();
    return;
  }

// existing post-processor code
  if (x || y || z) {

Edited By David Taylor on 01/12/2020 03:53:26

Edited By David Taylor on 01/12/2020 03:54:00

Thread: Good YouTube videos
23/11/2020 10:20:36
Posted by Frank Gorse on 21/11/2020 17:11:06:

I recently discovered Julius Sumner Miller,professor of Physics and enthusiasm.

I used to what Why Is It So when I was a kid

He did chocolate commercials too. He was pretty popular down here.

23/11/2020 10:04:41

luckygen1001 seems to be quite good at casting.

ActiveAtom is a pair of guys who are precision machinists. They're workshop is more clean and tidy than anywhere I've ever lived.

Bad Obsession Motorsport are a couple of English guys who build cars.

Edge Precision does high precision CNC work.

Keith Fenner has a lot of traditional machining and fitting etc.

Machine Thinking is an interesting engineering history channel.

SS Workshop is building an unusual loco he's designed from full size plans. I'm guessing he's stopped making videos because he didn't get the views to warrant the time and effort but what he has is pretty impressive.

Tips from a shipwright is good for one boat, but might get repetitive.

xynudu is ok, but has pretty well turned into a sponsored review channel for the usual suspect.

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
05/11/2020 22:08:53

No, it still says hobby license. I thought if I logged out and back in it might refresh, but no. So the website didn't complain when I applied and says I was upgraded but it doesn't seem to have stuck.

I'll check out that aircraft club offer and see if I can do that. I don't care if I lose all my current work in F360 if I can get a good deal on something else. All my jobs except a safety valve design are one-offs anyway.

I might pay $500AU for F360 if it was a one-off cost for hobby use, but I'm not paying that every year when I only use the machine a few times a year for one-offs.

05/11/2020 06:27:33
Posted by anthony brooks 3 on 24/10/2020 18:51:09:

I am in a similar boat. However being a cunning lad I do have a solution that may work outside the US. As I am not using CAD for commercial purposes I think it is acceptable. My daughter is at university. She signed up for an educational license with Autodesk - 3 years worth.

As I went back to uni this year I tried this. I signed out, restarted F360, and it still has all the limitations. I use my Tormach once every few months so didn't notice anything until today when it refused to write out tool changes or do rapid moves.

There goes my 4th axis altogether and the RapidTurn with any reasonable speed of tool movement.

I guess I can manually edit the G code to try and work around the rapids.

Thread: Binding on axis when locking off other
05/06/2019 12:42:10

I've always had the same problem on my RF-45 clone. Perhaps because I only tighten up the right-hand screw on the X axis or the front screw on the Y axis the table skews and the non-locked dovetails are rubbing.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
01/05/2019 07:03:16

One thing I've learned the hard way is to look at the movements of the tool during the sim and in the toolpath. Some yellow lines (Fusion360 specific) can be easy to miss and a tool might go tearing straight through a stud or clamp in the middle of the stock when you didn't think it would because it was just cutting around the outside.

I usually make the clearance heights a bit low to save on head movements, but obviously it's called clearance for a reason! Plus of course you can model your studs and fixtures etc.

As for writing g-code I was also put off by all the articles that went though manually coding parts, not to mention the cost. But in 8 months I've not written a line of g-code, and only altered them a few times.

Thread: DIY Epoxy Frame based CNC MILL
26/11/2018 23:12:27

This is an amazing project John. The forethought in the design is something else.

Thread: LBSC
11/10/2018 11:43:59

The reason I stopped my subscription to ME some years ago was it seemed to be filled with 'out and about' type articles and reprints of some LBSC loco series.

I think it would be better to have those that ME has the copyright for reprinted in a book so those that want them can buy the book. I might even do so in that case.

But I was put off by them in the magazine for some reason.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
06/10/2018 10:49:17

Made a dummy brake cylinder. Nothing here you all haven't done a 1000 times before but an enjoyable, non-precise, non-working, decorative shiny thing.

David.

img_20181006_101253.jpg

img_20181006_105140.jpg

img_20181006_115013.jpg

img_20181006_120028.jpg

img_20181006_134711.jpg

img_20181006_142909.jpg

img_20181006_142921.jpg

04/10/2018 00:22:25

Got the rear brakes on. The pullrods were done on the CNC mill and I also used it to do one particular cut on the brakeshoes.

Now onto make the handbrake parts and dummy airbrake components.

Regards, David.

img_20181003_203810.jpg

Thread: Your opinions please!
27/09/2018 00:36:38

I just came across this page from a LBSC/CAD fellow traveller. http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=LBSC%27s_Virginia

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
24/09/2018 01:27:03

Nice hinge. A new cutter is always nice, even the cheap ones I get off eBay. One day I'll find a proper supplier and buy a good one and it will no doubt be even better, but it hardly seems worth it with my ramshackle set-ups and out of tram machines.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
23/09/2018 00:21:37

Really nice Brian - I can well imagine the stress of making that appear from a solid block but you've done it!

22/09/2018 09:48:13

I spent a lot of the non-work week planning and making these brake shoes. They still need their inside edges rounding off the clear the flange root and the hanger slots probably need to be deeper but I might just do that with a file as I don't have a suitable endmill or slitting saw.

brakes1.jpg

brakes3.jpg

Regards, David.

Thread: Carbide Inserts and Holder Recommendation
21/09/2018 01:08:01

I have a Tormach superfly that uses carbide inserts. I used it recently on cast iron with the inserts recommended for aluminium and it gave the best finish I've ever achieved at a speed easily within the capability of a manual mill. I'm planning on using it on my RF-45 clone in future. It has a 19mm shank.

I'm sure there are clones of this cutter if you don't want to pay the Tormach price.

19/09/2018 05:56:57

I set the stepover at 0.25mm and used both vertical and horizontal passes. I think the horizontal ones were unnecessary.

Even so it only took about 8 or 10 minutes for each setup I think. Pretty quick and easy.

There is some weird faceting where to two radii meet on the corners but nothing a bit of sandpaper doesn't fix.

All up I was very pleased with the result. I'll be honest and say I don't fully comprehend the settings I used in the toolpath setup dialog. I basically told it to not touch any face near the fillet, do anything between 0-90 degrees, give it the fillet radius, set the step over, and clicked the 'also do horizontal passes' checkbox. I just kept fiddling until I was happy with the toolpath in the simulation. Then I did a short trial run in the air, took a deep breath and let it go on the part.

18/09/2018 11:16:31

Over the last few days I got that piece of wood on the bottom of the toolbox, made the front and mid brake hanger pedestals and bottom cross bars, and rounded over the corners of the sandboxes. The photo of the sandboxes shows one straight off the machine and the other one after about 10 mins with the sandpaper. The ends of the sandboxes look rough because they were done with a roughing end mill.

The rounding over was done with a 12mm end mill as I don't have any corner rounding end mills.

img_20180912_163105.jpg

img_20180918_183513.jpg

img_20180918_183530.jpg

img_20180918_185345.jpg

David.

Thread: New Workshop
14/09/2018 04:57:20

I have just finished this exercise. I reused the slab of the existing double garage so about 6x7m. I would like to have gone bigger but didn't want to extend the slab.

The new workshop is brick, with double-glazed windows, big barn doors so I can get big things in and out, and the next owners can get their car in if they like. Heaps of windows for light. One wall just has high windows to leave most of the wall space free for storage. There is as much insulation as I could fit in the walls and a lot in the ceiling.

I have the bench along the wall and a new milling machine takes about 1/4 of the floorspace. The lathe is between the two because I couldn't find a good place along a wall for it and if that floor space was left blank it would probably get filled with junk anyway. That leaves a corridor of about a meter either side of the lathe, which seems plenty.

I've only just got the machines back up and running and no proper storage yet so it is still a mess.

The double-glazing and insulation are excellent. It gets cold enough for sleet and a bit of snow (not enough to settle) so the winters are cold. I don't have a heater in it yet and by afternoon on a sunny day it is perfectly comfortable. A dull day is different.

I wouldn't go any smaller.

I guess long and thin gives you plenty of wall to put things against.

Have a look in my photo album for an idea of the size, layout, and natural light available.

11/09/2018 04:01:12

I feel for you Mark. It's always a shame breaking a larger cutter. As long as the job's not ruined things could be worse.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest