By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for woody1

Here is a list of all the postings woody1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Threading
02/03/2013 18:44:05

Evening all.

Had the day free so I have been dabling in a bit of thread cutting. I need a back plate for my four jaw in 7/8x12 tpi (myford 3 1/8'' so have been messing around with that thread. What would be the best method for getting to start on a (stone age) manual machine? I mean in terms of acurate setting. In my messing I used a clamp as a stop but it moves easily on reversing up to. I was thinking a carrige stop style clamp with a DTI attached alowing measurement would be better? Last piece of the puzzle guys.

Cheers.

David.

Thread: Marking out a cylinder
07/02/2013 00:16:11

V blocks? Easy! Welding set, angle iron and a piece of plate for a make do.  If I was doing it I would mount the work in the lathe, centre and use the height gauge to mark the job off the bed, done!.

David.

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:16:51

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:17:39

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:21:16

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:23:41

Thread: 20mm concave radius
07/02/2013 00:02:22

I see my error vertical machine. Feasible as I said but hey horizotal set up or lathe for the fly cutter. What abot boring a hole, cutting and final machining? I see a problem if the radius is required on a complicated dimensioned piece of work. 

ATB.

David.

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:05:15

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:06:22

Edited By woody1 on 07/02/2013 00:07:18

06/02/2013 23:57:05

I have made a fly cutter wich works a treat. Used in correct way it can be used to machine concave (as I have learn't ) Novice myself but I think its feasible. **LINK**

Thread: Myford ML1
11/06/2012 18:02:14

Hi guys.

Its been a while! manged to buld a workshop and counter shaft. I'm almost there with the myford, tailstock to re-assemble/paint, wait for my v belt and were making swarf. The re-furb has done wonders smoother movment and the DTI readings are promising I'll post a vid off my readings. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. My first real lathe project and its gone smoothly so smiles all round really. One question I will add here though is with regard to gib strips and a plinth. What material is best? I know they are steel but what about brass or even some kind of plastic (delrin/PTFE?) for smoother operation? As can be seen from the pictures I have mounted straight onto my bench. I know the cavity will fill with chips and be a little fidly to clean but do I really need a plinth?

Cheers.

David.

DavidMyford finishedMyford finished 2

Edited By woody1 on 11/06/2012 18:04:49

Edited By woody1 on 11/06/2012 18:05:57

Edited By woody1 on 11/06/2012 18:09:27

03/12/2011 00:05:46
Hard to find time on a 9 to 5 though . Used all my will to to not go out. Managed to get the painting and spindle etc back together as well as a little on the workshop. Have a question though, if I may ask. Where would it be best to take DTI readings from? what also would be best lubricant wise. I did take a couple of readings with the DTI off the centre. I read 1 thou run out in normal direction, in reverse half a thou maybe less!!!???
Cheers.
David.
21/11/2011 12:15:48
Appreciate the advice guys. managed to get all parts primed ready for painting just going to put it back together and make some swarf. Deffo going to buy a bigger machine I'v just moved into a new house from a flat Which is why a bought such a small machine. its going a little slow, I'm spending quite a bit of my time building a new workshop
David.
13/11/2011 15:41:02
yeah just one, into the spindle like the pulley. the bushings pictured are the wrong way round its my fault. Would it be hard to find a new pair, I would like to get it up and running again it came with a pile of the original bits to.
Cheers.
13/11/2011 10:57:59
Cheers for the info guys, needed the confidence boost it came out like a dream, with lots of ball bearings . The bushes are a little worn but its something I will have to accept. It is the only machine I have I would just like to learn. My readings came directly off the spindle back and front. The work coming out is acceptable just looking for smoother running really. One thing I will add is the lack of any shims/spindle adjustment its is a most basic of machine. Anyways off to get some paint and primer.
Cheers guys.

12/11/2011 10:16:19
Couple pictures guys, I have got as far as removing spindle collar and gear, bull wheel/pulley locking nut im stumped on the thrust collar though.

12/11/2011 09:41:47
Hi.
May I introduce myself. My name is david I found this wonderful site whilst browsing machinery as we do I have just had a myford ml1? given to me (headstock cast as one) and would just like to ask if anyone can give me some advice on removing the spindle its reading 2 thou runout. Its my first refurb of a lathe, Its going well so far all seems to be in pretty good nick with minimal wear to any of the parts. I have some basic machining skills but I lost my mentor earlier in the year so i'm now on my own!
Cheers.
David
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest