By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for woody1

Here is a list of all the postings woody1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fixed Steady for Square Stock
21/04/2020 23:12:19
Posted by Hopper on 21/04/2020 23:06:09:

You need a cat's cradle. Basically a round sleeve that fits over your square bar where the steady sits. Eight bolts with locknuts - four around the diameter at each end-- hold the sleeve in position.

Awesome I new I was over thinking itcrook.

So just use a piece of DOM tube of suitable size drill and tap either side of steady clock in and crack on.

I just spend an hour looking for a "square stock steady"! Cats cradle has thrown up loads! Thanks a million fella!

21/04/2020 22:55:33

Evening,

How would you go about boring a 19mm diameter hole in a 100-115mm length 30mm square ally on a 7x12? I can only think to mount the stock, put a long drill in the 3 jaw which would be a pain, rough finish and inaccurate. The best option would be the 4 jaw and a steady. However the only way I can think to make a steady for Square is use a large bearing (which I have) cast up a housing plus an inside race with fixings either side to clamp. Am I over over thinking this? I have limited experience with square and have had some failures doing similar. Bloody shape has to many sides!

Thanks.

Thread: Finish Good then Bad cl300
16/04/2020 22:07:27

The more I think about it, the more I'm weighted toward HSS and grind.

Does my hate for carbide have merit?

David.

16/04/2020 22:00:41
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/04/2020 17:13:19:

Many of these cheap tools are not finish ground. The edges of the brazed tip have often got front and sides at 90 degrees to the top. As the top is raked back at an angle, this means the front of the tool can rub.

Neil

Thank you for posting, as a master you just know (I miss Stan)

The angles and rake are know where near to close, I messed around but there pretty useless unless you angle the tool so heavily you cannot get close to the chuck!

What do wreckon on my 2500 gib tool post? Grind my HSS or go insert?

10/04/2020 22:16:10

Thanks for the replies, I reset my saddle, cross and so forth honed my tools but I end up with the same result, the material is pretty free machining. I'm guessing it's a tool issue. I'm using those cheap brazed carbide jobbies(I know, don't tell me) until my jib type tool post arrives I'm just playing and feeling to be honest (machined some man hand sized mine today). Facing cuts however superb every time, like an mirror.

What tooling would you recommend guys for the 250-000 chineses jib type tool post, carbide or hss? I can cancel and buy something else they said they won't be able to ship for two weeks. Budget £150 with 2 holders, it will do for now.

Thanks.

09/04/2020 21:34:27

I just went to look for some but I cleaned up,

Basically as my diameter reduces chips progressively reduce from 6's to C's then to red hot chips, resultant finish is poor. I'm guessing material?

09/04/2020 21:23:54
Posted by Philip Burley on 09/04/2020 21:11:18:

I have been having a similar problem with some 1/2 stainless , lovely finish till I worked it down to 5/32 for a valve stem . The smaller it gets , the worse the finish Hight spot on tried different speeds / feeds

Phil

Same,

Do six or C chips indicate a problem? At the start I'm getting lovely blue 6's depth of cut doesn't matter. Soon as I get to 19ish the chips begin to C then create chips which fly every where.??

Thread: Hello From West Wales
09/04/2020 21:10:57

Thank you fellas,

Making my machine awesome mostly,

Air rifles! I would like to get into mini parrafine??? engines to.

I don't have the machinery to do everything but I have a bit, and a forge too which helps (it's a scary compressed air afair) My father helped me he worked on the blasts for a long time. Hoping I can help other members on that aspect. But yeah building things from scratch/scrap.

Thank you.

Thread: Finish Good then Bad cl300
09/04/2020 19:59:18

Evening to you all, I hope your are well,

I bought a cl300m batch number 19/s, I'm guessing the S means summer? I have a bit of a conundrum which I cannot logically solve! I get a mirror finish using both hss and carbide brazed. However when the work diameter drops from 21mm start to around 19mm the finish goes to a furrowed field.

My finished diameter is 18mm but for the life of me I cannot get a finish at this diameter without filing and sanding which takes ages. The 21mm bar is pretty free machining, more so than a hardened bolt. Do wreckon it's the material, which I have no clue about other than its 21mm.

Thanks,

Woody.

Thread: Hello From West Wales
09/04/2020 19:41:10

Hi I used the site some time ago but sold my myford, space issues and so forth, however I am back and armed with an cl300m!

Thanks,

Woody.

Thread: Auto Feed ML 3'' 1/8''
22/09/2015 23:55:44

Well!

looking through the literature I have, to try and find the thread specs for my buggered cross slide lead screw

I found the below on the very last page (Fine Feeds) Hope it may help others.img_0100.jpg

Edited By woody1 on 22/09/2015 23:58:38

Thread: Acme Rod
22/09/2015 21:03:50

''Sorry if this sounds harsh but an ML1 will have passed through many hands and the likelihood of it having been butchered is very high.''

''This is a unique opportunity to do something about it and finish up with something far, more useable that when it was made''

I have butchered it in a good way (it has one previous owner). Only machine I could afford at the time, which my mentor was supposed to come and look at with me, however he developed medical problems and died shortly after so Im stuffed in all holes.

Edited By woody1 on 22/09/2015 21:04:43

22/09/2015 19:47:47

Cheers for the recommendations my mac book is a pain. Ill look into it.

David.

22/09/2015 19:44:21

Thanks,

Comparing with a vice and wheel jack lead screw, i’m sure you are correct. Not sure of an easy fix other than sourcing a replacement. Image attache (old) if you look jet behind the bearing you can see some porosity where i had to turn (with difficulty) the mashed and bent handle threads before fitting, welding and threading. 

The machine is o.k. Gone from a chattering wreck to easily capable of taking 1/16 + cuts on free machining steel. Want to sell to buy something larger but A: I don’t want to sell some one a lemon and B: the more belles and whistles I have (which are extensive) the more value.

Cheers guys.

img_0099.jpg

Edited By woody1 on 22/09/2015 19:45:09

22/09/2015 17:26:00

Cheers for info,

Think I'm going to have a crack at grinding an acme thread tool and machining a short test piece. I can grind the bit I have an acme thread gauge. However I'm not sure of the thread specs of the cross slide lead screw. Would any one know? its an ML1 as mentioned. I know the lead screw is 8 TPI not thats of any help.

Thanks,

David.

22/09/2015 16:42:50

Thanks,

Pretty obvious when you think about it smallest driving progressively larger or a combination that like you mentioned doesn't take an hour to complete a one inch pass! thanks again for the detailed post i shall have mess around which I know will be tedious. Once set up with the combinations logged future use will require a simple glance at the logs.

David.

Edited By woody1 on 22/09/2015 16:44:12

Thread: Acme Rod
22/09/2015 16:15:01

Hi all,

Need a length of acme rod for my ML1 cross slide which is bent any suggestions on a source I can only find american companies?

Bit of a disaster really it came like it also with buggered handle threads. Straightened it as much as i could but its not good enough. I modded with the addition of bearings to make movement more smooth however when the handle is from about 12 to 3 o'clock the bend causes the outer handle to rub inside the bearing housing.

Thanks,

David.

21/09/2015 20:13:33

Hi,

That was my thinking it doesn't take a hammering so should ok. thanks for the info ill have to dig out my old laptop Nthreadsp doesn't seem to work for my apple mack.

20/09/2015 21:00:56

Evening all,

Im not sure where I read this but its not a good idea to use a manual machine to auto feed as it wears the lead screw? For finishing cuts I can't see a problem? Any how just wondering if any of you fine gents can help me in calculating a gear train for auto feed. I have the program from lathes.co.uk for calculating threading combinations but have know idea of how to calculate a combination for auto feed. Im not to worried about rough cutting manually but for finishing cuts I guess it will make a world of difference finish wise. I have around 15 or so change gears I'll have to check along with number of teeth.

Thanks,

David.

Thread: Betalon Belting
13/09/2015 15:36:54

Thats were I bought it from. Incredibly helpful fella, I was thinking '' why did I not buy an endless belt'' answer being I didn't want to remove the spindle from the lathe which I did in the end. Anyway think I will stick (excuse the pun) with super glue. drilling holes and stiching? Not sure if thats a good idea. With tension and time the holes will elongate and wreck the belt.

David.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest