By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jason udall

Here is a list of all the postings jason udall has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What bearings for a submersible wheelchair?
05/10/2018 21:34:01
Dry bearings would be the way to go.
Because any kind of lubrication will upset risk assessment bods.oil or the hint of a risk of oil ib the pool .Even PTFE built into plastics .. would be called a lubricated solid..just avoid that discussion So choose a self lubricated solid. Though avoid leaded bronze or similar...

Edited By jason udall on 05/10/2018 21:36:00

Thread: D bits
26/08/2018 22:05:55
I know it's obvious but check your drill shank is the desired size ....
Thread: Tool i/d and Mitutoyo vernier advice please.
24/08/2018 18:05:08
If that dial caliper is an after market mod then it must be common...I have seen one with the same Adulteration...on inspection the finish appeared factory fresh on the cut off bits
Thread: What type of glue to use...
23/07/2018 18:21:37
I would go for "Pritt" or any similar paper glue...
Soak in water to remove..paper and glue
Thread: How can I drill a deep, non-standard, small diameter, hole?
08/07/2018 16:25:27
Can I suggest
Wire of proper what is the diameter diameter ..expoxy fill bush..letting wire set.
Apply current to wire allowing wire to heat..pull wire free.. leaving hole..
Some experiment will allow wire selection to leave a hole of suitable fit

Edited By jason udall on 08/07/2018 16:26:00

Thread: Controller for a 3 axis lathe
13/05/2018 23:56:11
Here's my two pence
X axis on mill is front to back up axis is left right
Z is along the spindle

Lathes map these the same but less "arbitrarily"
X effects diameter through center line

Z length of part to and from headstock

Y axis is generally interpretated as tool height not generally used that way

The C axis is also controlled for "pseudo"y axis where a plane x' -y' is wrapped around the part in a cylinder using C axis and z ...and X axis being z' or depth
Now your control may or may not understand all that as must your CAM Software...
A milling control without a turning mode won't be able to convert all those axis /coordinates for you..but I have in the past used Excel is post process milling engraving g codes to "around" a cylinder g codes..
As to your compound curves for pen handles...good luck..
Maybe consider ppnot a CNC lathe but an egg lathe...whole different hobby
Thread: 'Why Projects Fail ...'
06/02/2018 21:55:44
Why dp projects fail?

The aforementioned law zero incomplete definition of target

To mention one infamous project
.project DEEP THOUGH. .purpose. .to calculate the answer to the question Life the universe and everything
..just look how that turned out
Thread: Channel 4 (UK) tonight Sunday Jan 7
09/01/2018 07:17:49

"Great to see the initial failures not being hidden from the cameras and I expect to see tantrums, resignations and huge arguments in the following episodes"
And how dull for the telly viewer would a carefully planned and executed build have been...no "drama" no "jepody"
This is not tv made for the likes of us ( what would be... we are generally in our sheds not watching telly)..its made for the mass audience with a hint at model train enthusiasts

Thread: When is 9mm not 9mm?
04/01/2018 07:21:15
Not just "ebay" and china..

Once had to finish thousands of parts to square up stock to A)square section B) size..
Because bought in stock has tolerance.. (fortunately -0 +0.14) pain :'(

Edited By jason udall on 04/01/2018 07:23:19

Thread: Bevel ?
04/01/2018 07:12:57
I guess this is a bit of a pointless ( though interesting nonetheless) discussion. ..drawings will clarify instantly the dimension. .
But just think of this..a screw is fitted to a machine...and then for reasons it is removed put to one side..The hole is drilled through clearance and the screw replaced..with a nut at far end...that screw is now a BOLT....
yes I know drilling out and adding nut is bodgy but it serves to illustrate.
English (even technical- roll yer sleeves up and get on with it- English) shows its long history in the oddities fossilised into it....
Thread: small baty bore gauge thread size?????
14/11/2017 17:10:05
Ok thats a bust..it appears pattress screws are 0.6 mm pitch
14/11/2017 17:02:00
M3.5 as I call them pattres screw ( holds light switch face plate to the square back shell in electric fittings)..
Just a though if you have any about. .to trial fit. .
But from memory those are 0.5 pitch...
Thread: John Stevenson
19/10/2017 22:16:31
Seeing the positive can do attitude shown in the posts in "weldit where it touches" thread ,I doubt I can add much to that spirit .
But the little I can add John .you can have it. .. get back and get us back in order.
Thread: socket_head_cap_screw_iso_ISO_4762_M5_x_16_16S
03/10/2017 08:21:44

This editor doesn't like my phones browser

03/10/2017 08:21:02

Lets see if this works...if not look up ambiguous cylinder

**LINK**

Thread: 3D Printed Threads
09/09/2017 22:44:53
The actual extrusion is not circular in cross section. .
The thickness is well controlled ( at least initially) but the width of the extrusion is somewhat controlled be the filament feed rate ( not confused with the nozzle movement rate in x,y,z)..thus you can extrude in one pass a ribbon 2-5 mm wide by say 0.1 mm thick..
The edges of the ribbon might (certainty ) not be square..but this geometry will depend on many things..surface tension , viscosity and the like , all dependent on extrusion temperature /material/infill among others. .a reasonable approximate would be semi circular of diameter equal to the layer height..
Some sagging occurs leaving the edge deformed from that simple shape. .effected by cooling profile. .

. Nozzle size has an effect on the minimum scale printed (outside radius) and wall thickness ( minimum wall thickness)

Edited By jason udall on 09/09/2017 22:48:52

Thread: Effect of Tensioning a Boring Bar
17/08/2017 18:45:14
Just a thought.
Musicians adjust the tension in wires. ..to change the fundamental frequency.
If one were to get the note wrong. .you might get harmonically related vibration from tool and part. .being able to tune the tool to avoid this combination might prove useful. .
Btw have used solid tungsten carbide ground tools..these do the job when all else fails. .seems "solid" tc has a lower Q than steel
Thread: Machining Tungsten
12/08/2017 19:19:44
Also uranium is very poisonous( in a heavy metal way) . .much more so than lead
Thread: What are these stone sticks?
06/08/2017 22:48:02
Op has it...soft and chalky...defo soap stone or "french chalk"...
Thread: Casting Sand still going wrong
22/07/2017 22:07:30
Just a thought..I see no mention of draught angle on the patterns..I believe ( been a long time abd that with oil bonded) that a draft angle is required only 3-5 degrees but needed none the less..
As I say been a while
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest