By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Swarf, Mostly!

Here is a list of all the postings Swarf, Mostly! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Condensation
30/10/2017 17:19:31

Hi there, Mick,

NDIY, above, has said 'Compressor dehumidifiers don't work too well at low temperatures' - I'd put it stronger than that. Unless you can get the temperature up you won't get your money's worth from a dehumidifier.

You need to check that your space isn't too well ventilated or your dehumidifier will be trying to dehumidify the UK!!!

I've personally found that the Myford plastic cover has done a good job of keeping my ML7 rust-free - other folks have reported that they make things worse!?!?

If you're shopping for Kingspan or Cellotex, have a look at 'Seconds and Co Ltd.', they might be cheaper than your local Builders' Merchant despite their having to ship to your door. I bought 3½ sheets of 3" from them and was pleased with what I got.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 30/10/2017 17:20:24 (to correct thickness)

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 30/10/2017 17:21:31

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
27/10/2017 11:07:10

Commenting/criticising other people's hobbies and interests isn't a one-way street:

Work colleague to me: 'You should take up bridge'.

Me: 'No thanks, I don't believe in games of chance'.

Colleague (outraged): 'Bridge isn't a game of chance!!'

Me: 'It would be, the way I'd play it!!!'

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

26/10/2017 19:56:02
Posted by David Standing 1 on 26/10/2017 18:25:28:

My main hobby is shooting - from paper target shooting, to clay pigeons, to deer stalking, and lots in between.

There is probably more ignorance, hype, threats, police/government and EU intervention, to name just a few, in this area than in all the other hobbies put together!

The hassle required to get planning permission for a simple six over six 2 metre yagi on the gable end of the house must follow a close second!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

(Long since QRT! )

Thread: Hello All,
23/10/2017 09:41:48
Posted by Trevor Harris on 23/10/2017 09:04:21:

Hi Neil,

SNIP

If you did not have lathe in the shed at home projects were often done as 'Government Work' in the lunch hour away from the Foreman's eyes.

Trevor

I don't believe that the foremen were oblivious of the 'Home Office' jobs - after all, they hadn't always been foremen. As long as the 'Home Office' jobs were pursued with discretion they were classed as training exercises.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Weird triple flute drills
21/10/2017 15:02:11

Hi there, all,

Does anyone have any experience of, or comments on, the business of sharpening core drills?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Ebay rules
24/09/2017 15:29:41

I recently bought an item from an ebay seller. The seller enclosed a note saying 'you could have bought this same item cheaper through our web-site'. I wonder what ebay would make of that?!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 24/09/2017 15:30:01

Thread: seeking number of a magazine
18/09/2017 17:49:04

Hi there, Bricky,

If you have any information regarding the articles you seek, the following web-site may help: **LINK**

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: A bit of humour
18/09/2017 11:43:52

stress.jpg

Thread: Myford help required please
17/09/2017 21:22:20

Hi there, Ian,

I buy my H32 from my local agricultural engineers, in 4½ litre plastic flagons. (The ML7 lubrication system is rightly termed 'total loss'!)

H32 is the same stuff that farmers use in the hydraulic gizmos they bolt on to the back end of their tractors and farmers don't believe in paying over the odds for anything, they can't afford to! So your local agricultural engineers' price, pro rata, ought easily to beat the ebay price for ½ litre tins plus carriage.

Try a browse through your Yellow Pages and go face-to-face if there's an AE locally.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 17/09/2017 21:23:30

Thread: A most unusual metal
17/09/2017 14:18:29

Phil,

Ian said that he's soldered to it - I don't think you can soft solder Zamac.

A possibility that occurs to me is that the two halves of the housing have been electro-formed rather than cast.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Myford raising blocks
16/09/2017 09:41:43
Posted by Michael-w on 16/09/2017 09:04:55:

Is it just me or does that leadscrew appear to be bending?

It appears that way because the camera is close to the subject. It would be reduced by moving the camera further away.

I think, theoretically speaking, that the apparent curvature would be zero if the camera were removed to infinity but the appearance of curvature is probably negligible at a range of, say, 100 metres or so.

wink wink wink wink wink wink

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: turner walker pillar drill
02/09/2017 19:35:56

Hi there, Peter,

If your pillar drill has a 2850-ish RPM motor (i.e. 2-pole), you could look for a 1425-ish RPM motor (i.e. 4-pole) with the same mounting interface (and spindle diameter). That would halve your basic set of speeds.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Myford 2 MT Collets.
30/08/2017 20:11:24

Hi there, Andrew,

You have part-sets of two distinct types of collet.

While I have met threaded collets which require a draw-bar, I am not familiar with any from the Myford stable.

The other components you describe go with the Myford patent 2 Morse taper system. I don't have a photo to hand but there are lots illustrating the listings on eBay. Alternatively, the Myford patent system is shown in the Myford sales literature and (probably) in Sparey's book or the 'Myford ML7 Lathe Handbook' by Ian Bradley (see pages 73 & 74). The collet (#1031) is pushed into the 'closing tube' which compresses it so that the groove round the outer end of the collet will enter the knurled nose-piece (#1438). The collet is then pushed out of the closing tube using the ejector device and expands, engaging the groove with the nose-piece. The collet is then entered into the lathe mandrel taper and the nose-piece screwed on to the mandrel nose to close the collet on to the work-piece.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

P.S.: Ian obviously types faster than I do!  Maybe my description will make more sense read with the photos to which Ian linked.

S.M!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 30/08/2017 20:13:40

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 30/08/2017 20:15:25

Thread: Lathe Cleaning
27/08/2017 14:43:00

Hi there, Mick,

I use paraffin - I get it from my local garden centre. The Myford ML7 'total loss' lubrication system ensures that the lathe soon has enough of an oily film to preclude rusting.

Off topic: I buy my 32 grade lubricating oil (OK, I know it's really a hydraulic oil) in 4.5 litre flagons from my local agricultural engineers (not to be confused with the garden centre).

I recently started laying a piece of oil-absorbing paper mat in the swarf tray. (They were on offer from MSC) It's going to be an experiment of some considerable duration - I had to buy a pack of 100! The mat does absorb the oil but spiky swarf gets stuck to it before it's oily enough to be discarded.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
26/08/2017 17:50:46
Posted by roy entwistle on 26/08/2017 15:16:28:

Swarf Mostly. Farrier and Blacksmith. Two entirely different trades

Hi there, Roy,

They can't have been all that different - here's his post demob career:

Post-Military Life.

1891, Shoeing smith (Census),
1896, Blacksmith (Marriage Certificate)
1901, Blacksmith (Census),
1910, Blacksmith Journeyman (Death Certificate).

Family tradition has it that he made the weather vane on the Hampton Water Works.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

26/08/2017 13:50:27
Posted by Michael-w on 26/08/2017 12:44:46:
Posted by duncan webster on 26/08/2017 00:02:38:

I earned my living in engineering for a long long time, encompassing industries as varied as steam turbines and nuclear decommissioning. I've never come across any company which employed a blacksmith

The U.K army seem to have them, albeit described slightly differently: **LINK**

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 26/08/2017 12:46:34

When my Grandfather was discharged from the Army (in 1888 and on medical grounds) his rank was 'Farrier Sergeant' but then he was in the 5th Irish Lancers.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: ML7 centre height?
24/08/2017 16:26:14

Howard,

I made my measurement with the bar held in a Myford Patent 2MT collet. That gave me sufficient accuracy for what concerned me at that time. I used a scriber blade in the height gauge - if I had used a dial gauge, previously zero'd on a known block, I could have checked for any eccentricity in the bar.

Very few of the more exotic instruments in my 'Metrology Department' have been purchased new - the height gauges seem to have been previously visited by the workshop gremlin that eats scriber clamps!

Andrew,

As I wrote in my post, the scan I posted is but a small part of GHT's Figure 21.2. It is at the bottom right-hand corner of the figure.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 24/08/2017 16:27:09

24/08/2017 12:49:08

Hi there, Andrew,

Here is a drawing that I have posted before in previous threads:

scan0002.jpg

It is part of Figure 21.2 of Geo. H. Thomas' book, 'The Model Engineer's Workshop Manual', page 240 in my copy, 1st edition. (sorry about the big white space at the bottom of the scan - I ought to have cropped it!)

GHT recommended that lathe owners (well, he actually said 'ML7 owners' but ... ) should measure their own machine and make a customised version of the drawing for their own lathe.

I measured mine by mounting a precision ground bar in a collet and measuring with a height gauge from the lathe bed to the upper surface of the bar, then subtracting half the diameter of the bar.

My measurement was 3.497", though maybe I really ought to write that 7 as a suffix.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Bubbles in engineering combination squares!
21/08/2017 22:01:15

Hi there, again, Andrew,

As I wrote, there's quite a lot of it - I suggest that you start at page 4.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: RDG Graduated Imperial Handwheel for ML7
21/08/2017 21:30:38

Hi there, Andrew,

It would seem that someone in RDG's Catalogue proof-reading department was having a 'bad hair day'!!

The lead-screw hand-wheel for the Imperial ML7 is graduated with 125 divisions, corresponding to thou with an 8 TPI lead-screw.

The hand-wheel graduated with 160 divisions is, I believe, intended for use with the Metric ML7 which, interestingly, still uses an 8 TPI lead-screw!

(Try converting your figure of 0.00390624" to millimetres.)

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest