By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Swarf, Mostly!

Here is a list of all the postings Swarf, Mostly! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What has happened to fly spray?
17/09/2018 11:13:01

I'm not saying I believe this but it's cheap so I'm trying it anyway!

A friend told me they'd kept the wasps away from a family barbecue by deploying a few 'Waspinators' around the barbecue site. The Waspinator resembles a nest, see Amazon. The makers claim that wasps are territorial and stay away from the site of an existing nest.

Some years ago I had a 3 inch wasp nest hanging from the workshop ceiling. It didn't get any bigger or show any activity so I figured the insecticide in the treated timber had been the end of the wasps as they gathered their building material. (Have you ever sat quietly beside a fence or other wood while a wasp is gathering? Their chewing as they gather the wood fibres is quite audible.)

More recently, I had to expel a queen wasp that was investigating the inside of my workshop. So I bought a couple of Waspinators and hung one up in the workshop. So far, so good.

I do have some reservations - the instructions claim that a Waspinator installed in the roof space of a house will deter wasps from nesting there. It caused me to wonder if this means wasps can see in the dark?!?! Or are they impregnated with some pheromone?  (That's the Waspinator, not the wasps! )

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 17/09/2018 11:14:48

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 17/09/2018 11:16:56

Thread: Myford Super 7 Mounting Blocks
09/09/2018 14:50:23

Hi there, Nick,

Go to the Myford web-site, click on Super 7, click on 'Motorising Assembly' and scroll down to where 'Exploded diagram' is mentioned. Then click on the button that expands the diagram.

This works for all the major sub-assemblies of the lathe (and for those of the ML7 on tha ML7 page) and the diagrams are down-loadable as .pdf files. Right click and follow the 'save image as' routine.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Myford Tri-Leva Oils
07/09/2018 10:36:02

Hi there, Richard,

I second Hopper's second paragraph.

I buy my H32 oil from my local agricultural engineers shop. It's the same stuff farmers use in the hydraulic gubbins that adorns the rear of their tractors. You don't survive as a farmer if you're careless about chasing for the best value, i.e. the best quality/price ratio!

Despite the Myford's 'total loss' lubrication system, a 5 litre flagon of H32 lasts a good while.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: New member from Essex with a Few Myfords
31/08/2018 10:14:50

You need to keep them bolted down firmly!

Mine started from Beeston, Nottingham, of course, then went to Croydon. From there it (she?) moved to just North of Romford, then to just South East of Romford. She then escaped from Romford and spent a year or so in a refuge just outside Chelmsford. When she was liberated from there, she found a new home in Southampton.

However, that only lasted for three years and for the last eighteen years she's been serving me well here in East Hampshire.

The pro-Myford vs anti-Myford dialogue seems to be a permanent feature of this forum. My position is that, in 1970 when I bought my ML7, South Bends were fairly rare (and expensive) as were the Boxford and other English clones. I didn't want an earlier Myford or a Flexispeed or a Gamage or their ilk. As I wasn't a technical college lecturer, I didn't have access to a friendly-priced cast-off Holbrook or similar. But 'everyone' knew about the ML7 so I bought one (second hand). Since that time, it has served me well and the only problems encountered (apart from that awful oil-gun!!!) have been between the operator's ears.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 31/08/2018 10:17:19

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
29/08/2018 20:04:14

It looks like the early bird got the worm!

(I'll get me coat.)

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Bench grinder
25/08/2018 13:29:08

I suggest that it's important to take the power rating into account when assessing the value of a bench grinder. One with a 350 Watt motor for £35 could be a bargain - one with a 170 watt motor for £35 is likely to be a frustrating nuisance! Especially with 8" wheels.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Correct name for this item please?
20/08/2018 09:35:53

I do admire the way the design separates the pillar guidance from the clamping action.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: ML10 spanners
09/07/2018 16:49:03

Robin,

The rule for Beeston Myford lathes is that threads smaller than ¼" are B.A. and all those ¼" or bigger are BSF. That was the British Standards Institute recommendations at the time.

To identify the spanners you need, I suggest that you search on-line for a comprehensive thread table for B.S.F threads that includes the across flats sizes (preferably in inches! ) for the nuts and bolt heads.

I'd go and check my ML7 but the interior of my workshop is currently above melting point!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Is this true..?
29/06/2018 14:02:25

Plus one for 'Structures' by Prof. J.E.Gordon.

A good read throughout.

One gem I was pleased to find was what he says about the English longbow being made from MEDITERRANEAN yew. Yet that same Mediterranean yew doesn't work in the Mediterranean region because the climate is too hot. My father, a skilled woodworker, always asserted that our English yew was too splitty and windy-grained to be any good for making a bow. He would have been pleased to read the book.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Microscope Equipment, What is it please?
13/06/2018 16:35:02

Hi there, Martin,

I wonder if I shall beat Michael to the draw?!?

Your kit is a hardness testing set. The cylindrical gizmo is a hydraulic (I think) indenter. The Vernier eyepiece is fitted to the (a? ) microscope and used to measure the diameter of the indentation. This is looked-up in Tables to translate to hardness.

I guess it has to be hardness on the Vickers scale.

Did you receive the microscope with it?

What else did you get?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 13/06/2018 16:37:52

Thread: Fitting nuts in awkward spaces
13/06/2018 15:11:23

I recently had to refit the fixing screws & nuts securing a multi-pole connector into a tightly packed electrical unit (all low voltage).

The heads of the screws were on the exterior of the unit enclosure. I was able to get the externally-serrated spring washers on to the screws using a pair of tweezers. However, the nuts (actually half-nuts) wouldn't stay in the tweezers or in the jaws of my narrow nosed pliers. (If Carlsberg made narrow nosed pliers they'd have a parallel action!) In any case, there wasn't room for the pliers.

My successful method was to cut down the flat wooden stick from an iced lolly to a suitable width and then to attach each nut in turn to the end of the stick with double-sided tape. Once the spring washer was in position I offered the nut to the end of the screw and turned the screw to engage the thread. Having removed the lolly stick, a little finger pressure held the nut while I turned the screw some more. Then the washer held the nut well enough for the final tightening.

This method worked because I was able to turn the screw from outside the enclosure.  However, I'm sure it could be adapted for use where the male part is a fixed stud.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 13/06/2018 15:13:50

10/05/2018 15:52:50
Posted by Howard Lewis on 10/05/2018 11:48:50:

Yesterday afternoon, actually, milled two rows of 12mm diameter hemispheres (37 each side) into a large (by my standards) plastic disc, for the rotor of a model Pelton Wheel, that I am hoping to complete for The WaterWorks Museum in Hereford. It needs to be finished and operative before September when Pelton Wheels will be the feature one week end.

While there on Monday, I repainted the rotor, and sealed leaks, on a small one that originally drove a fan, at a country house. At least that made more sense than using a hot air engine to drive a fan to keep the room cool!

SNIP

Howard

Hi there, Howard,

Your post reminded me of something concerning Pelton Wheels that I was told many years ago. Even longer ago than that, domestic wireless broadcast receivers were usually battery powered, domestic mains electricity was rare and differed in characteristics (e.g. voltage, frequency, AC or DC etc) from district to district. The high tension ('H.T.' ) battery was a block of small zinc alkali based cells while the low tension ('L.T.' ) source was a single lead-acid rechargeable. It was, strictly speaking, a 'cell' but was colloquially referred to as 'the L.T. battery'. The wireless receivers of that era used thermionic valves with 2 Volt filaments. It was intended that when the 'L.T. battery' was flat it would be taken to a local shop and exchanged for a charged one. Some people found this to be a nuisance. For the reasons given above, mains re-charging was not feasible. So many wireless listeners used a charging set comprising a small dynamo driven by a Pelton Wheel attached to the kitchen cold water tap. Domestic water supply wasn't metered in those days but was charged according to the rateable value of the house. So the 'L.T. battery' was recharged apparently for free but actually at a cost to the Water Company's pump prime mover.

However, the Water Companies were alert to any sort of waste water (the official jargon for the overflow pipe from the domestic cistern in your roof is 'indicator pipe' ). It seems that the pulsating back pressure from the Pelton Wheel buckets and nozzle propagated quite well back up the water main and was very audible to the Water Company's inspectors using their simple sounding rod.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 10/05/2018 15:53:37

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 10/05/2018 15:54:00

Thread: How to remove a chuck from a Boxford model A
04/05/2018 11:00:35

Ian,

I hope that your efforts will be successful.

When you get there, please be sure to come back and share the conclusion - please don't leave the thread hanging!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Lifting or hoisting a Myford Super 7
31/03/2018 09:00:05

I've moved my ML7 three times since I first installed it.

Removing it from and replacing it on its stand is affected by whether it's a peninsular location (accessible both front and rear) or against the wall with no rear access. With no rear access it seems best to avoid having to refit the motor - re-aligning the motor while leaning over the machine from the front is not a happy process! However, lifting with the motor fitted demands the right approach to avoid being taken by surprise.

What I'm leading up to is that the weight of the motor can suddenly try to take charge when the machine is halfway up the raising block studs. The machine tries to roll over towards the rear. This can bend the studs. If there's space for the lifter at the head-stock end to stand, they should stand end-on to the line of the bed (i.e. with their chest/stomach against the change-gear cover) but slightly to the rear, supporting the weight of the motor with their left hand. In my experience, lifting with the motor fitted and with both lifters in front of the machine stand is difficult.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 31/03/2018 09:01:59

30/03/2018 13:02:35
Posted by Baz on 30/03/2018 10:39:18:

I quit five years ago at 60.

SNIP!

I picked up my coat, raised two fingers in salute and walked out, and have never regretted it

Baz,

I hate to say this but that may well be just what 'they' wanted you to do. Your post suggests a clash of culture/ethics was brewing and provoking you to leave saved them the cost of a redundancy package. It does happen!

Very unpleasant at the time but often a blessing in disguise.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Help identify Changewheels
30/03/2018 10:22:17

If I might chip in:

Coil-winding machines have change-wheels. They are set up to control the pitch of the winding as the former rotates under the wire feed. In a transformer, the pitch is such as to lay successive turns in contact. In a 'wave-wound' coil for radio purposes, the pitch is greater. There is usually a trip mechanism to control the width of each layer of the winding, reversing the feed when the edge of the winding is reached.

These change-wheels are usually smaller than those used on hobby lathes - 24 DP doesn't sound unreasonable.

See the following:  https://archive.org/details/AvoDouglasCoilWindingMachinesManual 

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 30/03/2018 10:29:10

Thread: Curious omission??
15/03/2018 11:26:10

Hi there, Bill,

I think that lathe is one of a batch that Myford made for a manufacturer of motor car brakes, I forget which one.

The extra height was to permit the lathe to be used for skimming brake drums.

I believe they used to be mentioned on Tony's web-site but last time I looked I couldn't find any mention of that particular variant. (Maybe I was looking through the wrong half of my bifocals!! )

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

13/03/2018 14:55:32
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/03/2018 13:54:26:

Went to the tip to recycle various bin bags full of swarf and was challenged by a man in uniform - 'this is for metal mate'.

Expecting in the best traditions of this forum to have a blazing row with a jumped up facist jobs-worth, I said it was metal. Bad news ; on seeing the bags were full of swarf he and I had a pleasant chat about the pleasures of lathe ownership.

SNIP

frown

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 13/03/2018 13:55:13

Dave, I'm happy for you that your visit turned out that way. I have, in the past, witnessed attendants at the tip (Oops! 'Household Waste Recycling Centre' ) accuse people of bringing 'trade waste'.

In this modern age, when it seems to be rare for people to actually make things, I feel it is important for us all to assert that running a home workshop (not for profit) is a bone fide hobby activity and, hence, is DOMESTIC, aka HOUSEHOLD. Just because we're not as much in the public's view (or do I mean officialdom's view? ) as some hobbies it's not obvious to them how common our hobby is nor how established are our traditions.

I belong to a microscopy club (The Quekett - Google it) which is a registered charity. One of the club's stated aims is to acquaint the public with the benefits of microscopy and to facilitate their learning the art. To that end, members and local groups who hold microscopy events that include public access are urged by Quekett HQ to submit reports of those events so that they can be shown to the Charities Commission as evidence that the club is pursuing its aims. I am not a member of an ME Society but I hope that the various ME Societies around the country might consider adding similar clauses to their Constitutions if they are not already there.

Might there be such a clause in the Constitution of the S.M.E.E ?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 13/03/2018 14:58:04

Thread: ML 7 - Adaptation for wide ange cones
08/03/2018 21:09:40

Hi there, Martin,

I made an intermediate plate that bolted to the existing top-slide tee-nuts and provided a second set of mountings to take the top-slide at 90 degrees to its normal position. You need to lose a bit of space under the tool but that's feasible if the original Myford tool-holder is used with an HSS tool-bit - just discard some of the packing.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Maplin
28/02/2018 16:50:49

For me, the 'tipping point' in DIY electronics came when components got to be too small either to see properly or to insert by hand.

The slippery slope got steeper when thru-hole components were superseded by surface mount.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

P.S.: Does anyone want a litre of WW2 vintage moulded mica capacitors?

S.M!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest