By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Swarf, Mostly!

Here is a list of all the postings Swarf, Mostly! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
11/01/2022 10:55:50

Sounds to me like a job for 'rent-a-mog'!!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: RHS what-is-it?? appeal
29/12/2021 17:10:53

Hi there, all,

Here's a minor item from the first photo:

kymo  #01.jpg

I believe that the gizmo with the black drum is called a 'Kymograph'. It's used by botanists or botany students to measure the growth of plants. That would fit in with the RHS connection. I'm no botanist but, to the best of my recollection, you wrap a sheet of smoked paper around the drum and position the gizmo next to the plant under test. There's a clockwork motor inside the drum that rotates it at a known rate. A stylus attached to the plant bears on the drum and leaves a trace on the soot coating from which the rate of growth of the plant can be deduced. (In high CO2 levels, they grow higher and faster.)

The smaller clear object in the bottom right-hand corner of my photo is a spirit lamp. It wouldn't have been used (on its own, at least) to smoke the kymograph chart since a spirit lamp gives a smoke-free flame. In my early days of at-home chemistry experiment (in my bedroom) I used one in lieu of a Bunsen burner.

My grammar school chemistry master gave me an out-of-date catalogue from a scientific supplies firm, Townson & Mercer Ltd. of Croydon. It was even bigger than the last hard-bound Buck & Hickman catalogue, not quite a fork-lift job but pretty weighty. Browsing through it raised lots of questions like 'Please sir, what is a Kjeldahl's apparatus used for?'. An extra-curricular educational supplement!

On the subject of mirror galvanometers, with ribbon suspensions, my Senior Engineer in my first job preferred H. Tinsleys of Werndee Hall in South London. (I can't remember their full address.) I once had a guided tour of the Tinsley factory. They did some quite clever stuff with 'galvos' with multiple coils and connecting ligaments to measure power et. al..

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 29/12/2021 17:12:08

Thread: Mystery reamer - what is it?
12/12/2021 19:37:28

Hi there, Bob,

I wasgoing to suggest that it might be for sharpening the sort of mortice chisel that mounts in a pillar drill and has a twist drill down the middle. But then I noticed the shank, more likely for a prace and bit so more likely for woodwork than actuall metalwork.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Hello form Alton hampshire
12/12/2021 14:17:02

Hi there, Ralph,

I was taught that if you see thirteen thou. of rust, the item has only lost one thou. of metal. So rust often looks worse than it really is.

It is important to get rid of rust because it is abrasive. However, you need to employ a removal process that avoids making the situation worse by removing metal as well!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 12/12/2021 14:17:23

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 12/12/2021 14:18:00

Thread: Myford Serial number help
12/12/2021 14:05:06

Hi there, Peter,

Anything cast-in to a casting is usually going to be the same characters for each example (unless the maufacturers have expensive habits!!). So cast-in numbers are usually to identify the casting at an early stage of the manufacturing process or maybe even a pattern identity number for use by the foundry.

Serial numbers are usually stampred in to a seldom-used zone of a larger machine surface or sometimes into a small machined 'island' in an out-of-the-way area of the casting. For instance, the serial number of my ML7 is stamped in to the tailstock end of the rear shear of the lathe bed.

Part number systems for any manufactured item have to be sufficiently comprehensive to guide or direct each stage of the manufacturing process. Each component has to have an identity, i.e. a part number and usually a drawing, and it is necessary to be able to identify each part through the process, either before or after its own machining (and/or electroplating or painting), and including the addition of smaller components or its being incorporated into some larger assembly. This doesn't just apply to machanical products For instance, a discretely-wired electronic device could have both a wiring schedule AND a wiring layout to define the interconnections and routing of that wiring and an items list listing each size and colour of wire, wiring clips, grommets etc. Sometimes, small nuts and bolts and washers were 'bulk issue items', i.e. too minor to be specified individually. (I guess I'm revealing my age here!!!)

I anticpate that some of our draughtsman or ex-draughtsman members may have lots to add to my very summary depiction of a drawing-number system!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 12/12/2021 14:07:09

Thread: A nice find
07/12/2021 10:56:09

Hi there, all,

Why is my first thought to start all my posts with 'many years ago ... '??? Oh, well:

Many years ago, I bought, second-hand, an internal micrometer. Its maker was/is a well-known UK firm (I'd name them if I could remember but the instrument is currently stored away).

On examining my purchase, I discovered that the 0·500" spacer was mssing. I wrote to the makers (it was long before the internet and email!) asking for a quotation for a spare 0·500" spacer to complete my set. Much to my delight, they sent me one, free, gratis and for nothing!! I didn't even have to pay for the postage!!!!

Maybe they deserve recognition for their generosity even after all these years. Maybe I'll dig out the instrument and remind myself and tell you all of its maker!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Preferred slot for mounting a rear toolpost on the Myford S7 Cross slide
27/11/2021 09:28:49
Posted by Greensands on 27/11/2021 09:16:00:

SNIP. Text hould have read 2"x2" as suggested. Smiley unintended. SNIP.

SNIP.

Gentlemen,

ALWAYS type a space before a right-hand bracket. This avoids waking up the smiley gremlin.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 27/11/2021 09:29:42

Thread: Motor wiring eyelets/crimps type?
20/11/2021 13:55:57

Hi there,

Your photo looks a bit, I emphasise 'a bit', like a Ross-Courtney termination.

I use them in the terminal chamber of the motor on my ML7. They have the advantage of not having a tail like the modern crimps but they also have the disadvantage of being, apparently, extinct!!!!

If you locate a source, fill your own requirements before blowing the gaff!!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: 80th birthday
20/11/2021 09:33:29

Hi there, Bill,

Many happy returns of the day when it comes. Have a good one.

'What to give the man who has everything?' How about an alarm clock so he can get up earlier and have more time to enjoy it/them?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Agricultural supplies
09/11/2021 12:53:51

Hi there, all,

As I've often mentioned on this forum, I get my ISO 30 oil from my local agricutural engineers' for lubrication of my ML7.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Resurrecting an old model
01/11/2021 12:59:49
Posted by Baz on 01/11/2021 12:19:01:

I think I would avoid white spirit and meths, perhaps start off with a bowl of warm soapy water and an old toothbrush.

If I'd made that model I'd reckon it is worth a NEW toothbrush!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Chemical Etching of Glass
28/10/2021 20:30:07
Posted by J Hancock on 27/10/2021 08:55:05:

When you can't even buy a tube of Evostik off the shelf anymore it 'beggars belief' this stuff is considered safe for children to use.

Industrially, they die up here on Humberside with accidents of similar material.

Hi there, all,

I still have a mostly full tube of black Bostic in a safe place. I guard it carefully. For some jobs it works like no other.

The glue sniffer nutters ruined a lot of things for a lot of us!!!!!! angry angry angry

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: An Uninvited Guest!
26/10/2021 13:18:57

Hi there, all,

Posting these photos is inviting scorn but I hope there'll be some sympathy too.

How do you tell when it's been too long since you had any workshop time?

dscn1133.jpg

dscn1135.jpg

dscn1136.jpg

As they say 'Life happens!'.

Identification will be welcome.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Sewage dumping
25/10/2021 10:47:12
Posted by J Hancock on 25/10/2021 09:42:15:

It was on the BBC R4 news item this morning.

£60.000,000,000 paid out to shareholders over the years could have something to do with it.

That's sixty billion pounds.

First of all, I hold absolutely no brief for excessive and obscene capitalism. Still, we need to appreciate the realities.

I suspect that many of those shares are held, not by individuals but by insurance companies. The dividends they receive from those shares are their return on investments from which they pay both the customers who hold private pensions from them and the company pension scheme administrators for whom they manage funds. Just ponder on how your Company Pension scheme grows its funds! So, if you have a private or company pension, you could, now or later, be receiving some of that 'filthy lucre'!!

My own view is that there should be a legal category of organisation which I would term a 'Public Utility'. This would be 'not for profit' but would be required to balance short and long term expenses and, at the same time, keep prices down for the benefit of customers. It would not have share-holders.  I would put the supply of the essentials of life (e.g. water, energy, communication etc.) in the hands of only such organisations. We live in an era when you can run a company that manufactures tin-openers despite being completely ignorant of how tin-openers are made - 'management' is apparently a thing in its own right, I've always wondered about that.

My understanding is that a Company Director is required, by law, to care for the interests of the share-holders, that and only that! If he/she is shown to have put any other interest first, whether it be customers, staff, the environment or whatever, they incur severe legal penalties. I know there are 'mutual companies' like John Lewis and a polyester resin company whose name I've forgotten, where the staff are the share-holders but even they are not bound to consider customers, the general public or the environment.

I acknowledge that the fact that I'm not running the planet shows that my ideas have deficiencies!!!

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 25/10/2021 10:50:00

24/10/2021 16:59:34
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 24/10/2021 15:27:34:

Anyone fancy a dip in the sea ?

No ?

Thought not !crying

Back in the 1950s/1960s, one of my hobbies was SCUBA diving. I belonged to a club that met twice weekly in a large indoor swimming pool in London. One summer evening as we were exiting the changing rooms the pool attendants stopped us from entering the water - a couple of 'Pompey Kippers' had been spotted in the deep end (12 feet). The pool vacuum cleaner didn't seem to be working. The members were grumbling, they wanted to get on with their training.

I don't remember volunteering but I was soon in the water with a snorkel and a dustpan & brush. It was a memorable exercise in practical hydrodynamics - the specific gravity of a 'Pompey Kipper' is very close to that of fresh water end everything that I tried to catch in the dustpan seemed determined to wash out again!! Anyway, my efforts were eventually successful. I guess the chlorination system was effective enough (that pool held 250,000 gallons of water), I've survived to the age of 84+.

Regarding a different aspect of water purity; my understanding is that sewage treatment plants work primarily by filtration and also by microbial action. They are good at removing suspended matter but not so good at removing dissolved substances. I was told by a pharmacist that the effective dose of a medication is that part of the dose that's not rejected by the liver (or was it the kidneys?). That suggests that large amounts of medication substances pass into the sewage stream, only to re-enter the drinking water system lower downstream. It's said that the water from the River Thames has been through seven people by the time it reaches Teddington!!! I've read somewhere that sperm counts of UK males are declining, largely because of the contraceptive pill residues making that circuit!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Soft floor and lathe...
21/09/2021 13:26:52
Posted by ega on 21/09/2021 13:23:00:
Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 21/09/2021 10:55:40:

A hint: when filling in a planning application form, NEVER use the term 'workshop'. Doing so will generate in your Planning Officer's mind a mental image of paint overspray, toxic smoke, 24/7 noise and radioactive waste!!!
Far better to use terms like 'garden room for use for hobby and domestic storage purposes'. smiley smiley smiley

The late Gordon Stokes, woodturner, recommended the term "craft studio".

I like it!! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

21/09/2021 10:55:40

Hi there, all,

My ML7 sits on a home-made cabinet stand of braced sheet steel. Each end of the stand has a length of 1" x 1" angle iron attached at floor level. For about 20 years the stand stood on two lengths of hard felt positioned under the webs of the angle iron. I never had any difficulty truing the bed using an engineer's level.

When I moved to my present lcoation, I had to leave my previous sectional concrete workshop in 'favour' of a proprietary garden 'workshop'. We did mount that on a good level reinforced concrete slab. The workshop stands on a flimsy wooden floor on the concrete. I cut two rectangular apertures in the wooden floor and put down two strips of planed hardwood. No felt this time. Again, the lathe has been easily set true using an engineer's level. Needless to say, my activities are at hobby levels of precision but my results are usually good enough for me.

A hint: when filling in a planning application form, NEVER use the term 'workshop'. Doing so will generate in your Planning Officer's mind a mental image of paint overspray, toxic smoke, 24/7 noise and radioactive waste!!!
Far better to use terms like 'garden room for use for hobby and domestic storage purposes'. smiley smiley smiley

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: A Couple of Questions about Pipe?
17/09/2021 19:41:14

I understand that gas pipe is colloquially referred-to as 'barrel' because the original town gas networks re-used the barrels from Government-surplus musket barrels from the Napoleonic Wars. (Or is this an urban myth? )

So, question #1: is it improper to also refer to water pipe as 'barrel' ?

Question #2: is galvanised water pipe galvanised on its interior as well as its exterior?

Engineering history can be obscure but interesting. For instance, why is the outside diameter of nominal 1½" pipe actually 1 and 29/32 inches?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 17/09/2021 19:42:57

Thread: Threading myth .... busted!
01/09/2021 19:51:11

Hi there,

I can't remember (without logging off and going to consult the relevant books) whether it was Tubal Cain or G.H.Thomas who pointed out that the usual way of angling the tip-slide optimises the finish of the wrong flank of the thread!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Dickson QCTP on a mini lathe
17/08/2021 19:54:22

Hi there, again, Martin,

If you look in the 'tool-holding' section of the on-line MSC catalogue, there are a couple of pages of dimensioned illustrations of the various sizes of Dickson-type QCTP.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest