By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Swarf, Mostly!

Here is a list of all the postings Swarf, Mostly! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
20/07/2019 15:48:28

First of all, my apologies to NDIY for misreading his post.

On the subject of Latin, I was in the Latin stream from 2nd form to 5th form. We were taught (with varying degrees of success) both Latin language and Latin literature.

The only remaining trace of the latter is a line from Catullus, 'Alas, my purse is full of cobwebs'. Now, why ever should that line have remained in my memory?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

19/07/2019 21:00:50
Posted by not done it yet on 19/07/2019 20:45:31NIP.

Until 1963, the grammar school did not have any wood or metal working facilities - we went over to the secondary mod school for a double lesson in woodwork once a week while the girls did domestic science.

SNIP.

I have to disagree with you there.

I attended Woking County Grammar School for Boys (to give it its full title) between 1947 and 1954. On the lowest floor of the school building there were an active woodwork shop and an active metalwork shop. There was also a third shop known as 'the Plumbing shop' though I have to admit that that one was only used as a miscellaneous storage space.

That building is a Police Station nowadays - re-purposing it must have been quite a challenge for the architects concerned.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Wood in small (or large) amounts
18/07/2019 16:05:35

I used to live in Romford in Essex. Many of the residential streets there were lined with mature lime trees. Lots of those trees fell casualty to 'the great October gale'. The Council guys turned out with their chainsaws and cut the trunks into short enough lengths to be man-handled out of the way so the milkmen and Postmen could get through!

I know that lime trees are best avoided when choosing a parking place because of their sticky sap. Having taken insufficient notice when my father was trying to pass on his woodworking skills, I've no idea of the merits of lime wood for woodwork - however, I did think it was tragic that those fallen trees couldn't have been removed some other way that would have preserved their usefulness.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 18/07/2019 16:05:54

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 18/07/2019 16:06:29

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 15:57:11

Please, Andrew,

Don't let the trolls win!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/07/2019 13:31:32
SNIP

As for using Oak on a nicely made scale model the grain is of the open type and can look wrong on a small scaled model, personally I would have used a closer grained wood for appearances and then stain it Oak coloured.

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 15/07/2019 10:43:17

I hope the following won't be considered Off-Topic:

When I lived in Essex, one of my regular Saturday morning errands used to be a visit to Brown's Corner in Loughton. They had a large room full of ex-Government surplus tools for all trades, including plumbers. They often had the egg-shaped wooden tool that plumbers use (used) to flare the end of lead pipe. These were usually of box wood, occasionally of lignum vitae. I used to buy the box wood ones for a work colleague whose hobby was making detailed scale models of the ships of Nelson's Navy, he used them as a source of material for making the blocks for his rigging.

I fear it is a forlorn hope but maybe, just maybe, there might still be some of that sort of stuff about, if only one knows where to look!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Aircraft radio scanner
14/07/2019 19:09:30

Bob,

To complement whatever equipment you buy, I suggest that you familiarise yourself with the relationship between height and the distance to the radio horizon. Signals are receivable at quite long range if the source is high enough.

Nuff said.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Myford Vice for Vertical Slide
14/07/2019 19:01:50

My vice is a genuine (Beeston) Myford item, I bought it in the early 1970s. It has the radius at the foot of the fixed jaw.

I use it with a packing piece, a length of 5/16" diameter rod with a flat machined along its length, but a bit of flat strip would do. I usually grip a steel rule in the jaws, on the packing piece, and offer the rule up to the face-plate (fitted temporarily) before tightening the securing bolts that attach the vertical slide to the cross-slide. It works for me.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: What are these used for please?
07/07/2019 14:30:44

In a ribbon microphone a metallic ribbon is suspended between the poles of a permanent magnet. To give the ribbon compliance in the appropriate axis, it is usually corrugated.

The gizmo with the two gear wheels hinged together could be used to form suitable corrugations.

I believe that there was also a ribbon loudspeaker offered on the hi-fi market at one time.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Is it bad practice to lock my Myford lathe using the slow speed lever
24/06/2019 18:04:49

Next time I need to remove my ML7 mandrel from the head-stock (e.g. to fit new vee belt ), I intend to drill a ¼" hole through the bull wheel diametrically opposite the lock to the pulley gear. The plan is then to make a sort of spanner with a transverse dowel (to fit in that hole) and a handle suitably shaped to lock over the edge of the head-stock casting.

I don't think such a hole is going to cause significant out-of-balance problems.

To complement that, I'll use a bit of hex bar gripped in the chuck and a suitable spanner.

The slight problem with this project is that it has been on my to-do list almost as long as the project to make a mandrel handle!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Gents impulse clock
14/06/2019 17:01:49

Slightly off-topic because this thread is principally about Gents rather than Synchronome.

I was told by Barry (he of Barry's Virtual Clock Museum ) that the Kerplllunk emitted every 30 seconds by a Synchronome master clock installed in domestic premises has been known to sunder marriages!!!!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Noise Cameras
10/06/2019 10:44:10

According to what I was taught about acoustics, any microphone comparable in size to a speed camera will be omni-directional at all the frequencies emitted by motor vehicles, especially the lower frequencies that convey most of the emitted acoustic energy. So the device could be receiving noise from sources far removed from the angular coverage of the video camera section of the device.

I'm ruling out devices such as 'rifle mikes' as incompatible with the 'box on a pole' on both dimensional and cost & complexity grounds.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 10:46:21

Hi there, all,

There's a true horror story somewhere on the Web about a lady research worker who discovered, the hard way, that her rubber gloves weren't impervious to organic mercury (a liquid compound). Over a period, the mercury migrated to her brain, causing her motor functions and other faculties to progressively and irrevocably deteriorate with eventual fatal consequence! The quantity involved was very small.

So, I reckon, mercury in any form is stuff to be treated with extreme care.

Having written that, one of my retirement projects was to renovate a Kew Pattern barometer. It was ex-RAF surplus and I'd bought it, semi-derelict, from the H.W.English emporium in Essex. At that time, I was well short of retirement age and I steadily accumulated mercury, mostly from the ampoules on Londex relays bought from surplus dealers. Eventually, I had about 1½ kilos.

The barometer needed a new tube but glass-blowing was not one of my skills and I couldn't locate an affordable tube. Then, as I approached my 80s, I realised that I was going to have to cull some of the items on my list of retirement projects. The tube problem put the barometer renovation high on the list!

By this time, mercury's status as an undesirable possession had risen enormously. I was determined to dispose of it safely but fearful that 'putting my head above the parapet' might lead to our street being invaded by the men in space suits!!!!

Eventually, I decided that I had to do something. A web search gave the addresses for several waste disposal companies but a friend with connections in the recycling industry spoke of the need for special 'flasks' for conveyance of mercury. (I think these are for large quantities - small quantities didn't seem to be catered for. )

Then I was advised that a few of the household waste disposal sites (aka ' tip' ) in my County have special licenses to accept limited quantities of hazardous materials. These are principally intended to deal with stuff like bleach or Roundup. Nothing venture, nothing gained, so I carefully double-packed my mercury and offered it to the nearest licensed site. Much to my relief, the site operator accepted it with zero ceremony. You'd have thought visits like mine were an every day occurrence.

So, if you are in a similar situation, don't despair. Look at your County's web-site and see if your local waste disposal sites are similarly licensed.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

P.S.: I don't live in Essex these days.

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
04/06/2019 09:06:16
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 03/06/2019 23:57:49:

Sorry - I did NOT intent that stupid 'wink' sign.

I forgot it appears from certain punctuation marks and I can see no way to edit it away.

Nigel (et alia),

Always precede a right-hand bracket with a space.

You should be able to edit out a 'smiley' by positioning the insertion point after it and pressing back-space a few times, then retype with the space where I've suggested.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:14:59

Thread: DC Treadmill Motor
20/05/2019 10:56:55
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 17/05/2019 16:20:56:

In addition 48V is a standard industrial distribution voltage within automation cabinets and the like, as well as for power over Ethernet units. The problem with 60V is that it is at the SELV voltage, so regulations get rather more onerous.

Andrew

Added for historical interest: I believe that 48 Volts was also the voltage of the battery supply used by the old Strowger telephone exchange equipment. Lead-acid cells in glass tanks large enough to fall into!!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Warrington Model Engineering Developments
20/05/2019 09:01:21

I have adjustable dials on the feed-screws for my ML7 cross-slide, top-slide and both vertical slides. At least two of those were bought from WMED. The other two were bought from eBay sellers but could have been made by WMED.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Source of Machined Nuts
19/05/2019 14:46:36

Andrew,

Thank you for your very full response to my suggestion.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

17/05/2019 20:58:30

Andrew,

Do I remember rightly that you have a dedicated repetition lathe? It might interest some members to recap on such a machine's capabilities?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Myford ML7 - Size of Mandrel Through Drilling?
10/05/2019 11:17:47

Hi there,all,

I've recently had a gentle disagreement with someone about the diameter of the through drilling in the mandrel of the Myford ML7 lathe (i.e. the back end). Well, not so much about the diameter as about it's consistency, lathe to lathe. This dimension is of interest in connection with mandrel handles or depth stops and, more loosely, with draw-bars or bumper bars.

The published specification for the ML7 states that the through drilling is 19/32". (The same figure is given for the Super Seven. ) Please note, I'm not 'talking' here about 'big bore' or similar machines.

Please may I use this thread to take a 'straw poll' from ML7 owning members, requesting them to post the size of the through drilling of their ML7 mandrel, together with their machine serial number?

Thanks and best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: 2mt Myford Collet
01/05/2019 08:56:20
Posted by roy entwistle on 01/05/2019 08:39:32:

Neil All due respects but do you realise how thin the walls of that would be ?

Roy

Sounds like a wrapping of shim-stock to me!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thread: Removing a grub screw
15/04/2019 16:11:59

Hi there, Harry,

I agree with Brian about 'EasyOuts' - they can expand the bolt and make things worse.

My preferred method is to use a left-hand drill. It will centre well enough in your socket grub screw and, eventually, bite and wind out the screw.

I believe there are a few videos on YouTube.

As well as the simple left-hand twist drill, you can get a screw remover that has the same shaped tip.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest