By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scrumpy

Here is a list of all the postings Scrumpy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steel boiler storage.
11/05/2019 08:13:21

Some years ago the firm I worked for used to put lime in trays and place in the boiler before boxing up changing every few months I should have said these were very large industrial boilers

Thread: Hardinge lathe on fleabay
20/03/2019 13:11:42

Even with problems with the leadscrew/ nut it's good value a friend had a new leadscrew made for his Colchester at £260 pounds so add that to the lathe ,good value, the taper turning is worth £250 on its own I purchased one some two years ago

Thread: Welding helmet
25/02/2019 08:54:23

As for which welding helmet to purchase the question you have to ask yourself how much do you value your eyesight purchase the best that your can afford I have a Boc one and Esab

Thread: Myford Quick Change Gearbox Disassembly
23/02/2019 11:57:34

I fully agree with Hopper on this my next door neighbor went along the same root as you are going before he stripped the lathe down it was a workable machine only needed some adjustments but after he’d done his strip clean and paint and removed so much filler the castings were ruff it was a dogs dinner of a lathe his answer sell it and start again without stripping it

Thread: Sealing water tanks
23/01/2019 09:03:40

I have used Por 15 on all my engines as Jason posted it works well it’s been used from 2 in scale to 4 1/2 highly recommend

Thread: Fairground Gallopers
04/01/2019 09:20:51

Many thanks to Ady1 for the information from the engineer, Special thanks to JasonB for explaining scale I feel so silly on this I spent many hours trying to work it out but I had a mental block I should have known as I spent 12 months working in a drawing office many thanks to all

03/01/2019 15:41:46

Thanks Jason sorry if I’m thick or missing something but could you please explain a bit further your thoughts on doubling up

03/01/2019 13:54:04

Many thanks to all who supplied information photos and offers of help etc , a few days ago I spoke to Wizz Stearne about there Gallopers they still exhibited there set along with there Showmans engine sadly they don’t have any drawings etc . Within the next few days I’m meeting my brother to see if he wants to take it further as Wizz said it’s a big job to take on and takes up a lot of room there’s in 3 inscale is over eleven ft dia I’m only able to help part time due to my other commitments my reason for asking about model engineer was about 5/6 years ago Dingles had an auction and one was for sale along with the drawing from ME

Sadly Doug Rooseman only do 1 1/2 1 24/scale but as Jason B photos show it’s an amazing sight

03/01/2019 07:46:18

Many thanks for all the information it’s food for thought as you say it would make a great display

02/01/2019 21:11:02

My brother and myself need advice for several years my brother has been building two showman’s engines in 2 in scale within the next year they should be finished we would like to make a fairground set of Gallopers to go with them again in 2 in scale if my memory serves me correctly there was a article along with drawing in model engineer many years ago does anyone know if this is correct if so what number magazines were they in or does anyone have a set of drawings many thanks in anticipation

Thread: Ajax AJ8 horizontal Mill - cracked casting
30/03/2018 10:22:47

many years ago a guy at our club had the same sort of problem the repair that was carried out was drilling a hole so the crack could not go any further a plate first bolted on then this plate was taper pinned as well all then covered with Belzona for cosmetic appearance

Thread: Identify a vertical steam engine
22/03/2018 12:31:51

I have one virtual the same mine came from the fairground it was used to drive a water pup with steam coming from a stationary boiler somewhere I have some photos

Thread: Barometer help please
04/03/2018 08:16:05

I'm so glad you are going the traditional route, as for metal putty we used one called slade100 but any putty will do as long as there is not to much oil in it , could I suggest if there is you let it air dry before using then puff some talcum powder to stop oil running then leave to harden then smear some soft/ melted brown shoe polish over the surface this is for two reasons ( covers your marks and stops reflection) hope this helps

03/03/2018 21:51:08

If you go down the traditional route ( I hope) and reset glass using metal putty before fixing to the barometer leave to dry for a few days and lightly colour with brown boot polish then fix

03/03/2018 16:19:25

Some 20+ years ago I used to work part time for a barometer restoration company their were many ways that the glass was held in place some had a brass circlip some just putty and some small clips that were fixed to the bezel and bent we used to remove glass and replace with metal putty be very careful that you Don't buckle the bezel as they are a pig to make ( I had to machine 4 in a day )

Thread: Static phase converter
20/12/2017 08:47:43

I have two workshops some 50 meters apart so I have two transwave converters they do all I want I'm able to run my lathe and saw at the same time of the same converter , I gained all the information from Mr Moss ? Of transwave at a show some 25 years ago the only downside is the suds pump I changed mine to 240 v

Thread: Colchester student lathe
27/09/2017 07:56:43

I have the same problem but I've come to except the following Low speeds full range High speed not the top speed but I can live with that as its a good machine

Thread: Disappearing companies
17/08/2017 20:46:30

Even when we do use them and spend our hard earned cash we don't always get the goods

Thread: Milnes Type 'R' Lathe on eBay
17/08/2017 11:35:08

For the right price it must be a good restoration job as for the crack you could pay to have it welded by someone in the trade , I'd go for it they used to be good machines I served my apprenticeship were they were used for small jobs good luck

Thread: Disappearing companies
17/08/2017 08:37:06

Thanks for all your help in a nutshell I think it seems he has lost his money again ( 3 ) in total winson , reeves ( old company) and know Burrell, I also lost money with the old reeves company £42 order placed on a Friday removed from my account on Wednesday bust on Thursday evening lost . Welcome to our hobby

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest