By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scrumpy

Here is a list of all the postings Scrumpy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ajax AJ8 horizontal Mill - cracked casting
30/03/2018 10:22:47

many years ago a guy at our club had the same sort of problem the repair that was carried out was drilling a hole so the crack could not go any further a plate first bolted on then this plate was taper pinned as well all then covered with Belzona for cosmetic appearance

Thread: Identify a vertical steam engine
22/03/2018 12:31:51

I have one virtual the same mine came from the fairground it was used to drive a water pup with steam coming from a stationary boiler somewhere I have some photos

Thread: Barometer help please
04/03/2018 08:16:05

I'm so glad you are going the traditional route, as for metal putty we used one called slade100 but any putty will do as long as there is not to much oil in it , could I suggest if there is you let it air dry before using then puff some talcum powder to stop oil running then leave to harden then smear some soft/ melted brown shoe polish over the surface this is for two reasons ( covers your marks and stops reflection) hope this helps

03/03/2018 21:51:08

If you go down the traditional route ( I hope) and reset glass using metal putty before fixing to the barometer leave to dry for a few days and lightly colour with brown boot polish then fix

03/03/2018 16:19:25

Some 20+ years ago I used to work part time for a barometer restoration company their were many ways that the glass was held in place some had a brass circlip some just putty and some small clips that were fixed to the bezel and bent we used to remove glass and replace with metal putty be very careful that you Don't buckle the bezel as they are a pig to make ( I had to machine 4 in a day )

Thread: Static phase converter
20/12/2017 08:47:43

I have two workshops some 50 meters apart so I have two transwave converters they do all I want I'm able to run my lathe and saw at the same time of the same converter , I gained all the information from Mr Moss ? Of transwave at a show some 25 years ago the only downside is the suds pump I changed mine to 240 v

Thread: Colchester student lathe
27/09/2017 07:56:43

I have the same problem but I've come to except the following Low speeds full range High speed not the top speed but I can live with that as its a good machine

Thread: Disappearing companies
17/08/2017 20:46:30

Even when we do use them and spend our hard earned cash we don't always get the goods

Thread: Milnes Type 'R' Lathe on eBay
17/08/2017 11:35:08

For the right price it must be a good restoration job as for the crack you could pay to have it welded by someone in the trade , I'd go for it they used to be good machines I served my apprenticeship were they were used for small jobs good luck

Thread: Disappearing companies
17/08/2017 08:37:06

Thanks for all your help in a nutshell I think it seems he has lost his money again ( 3 ) in total winson , reeves ( old company) and know Burrell, I also lost money with the old reeves company £42 order placed on a Friday removed from my account on Wednesday bust on Thursday evening lost . Welcome to our hobby

16/08/2017 18:53:59

Hi All

A very good friend from abroad has been trying to get in touch with Brunell model engineers with no success does anyone have any information on this company and what is the latest status on Cheddar Boilers

Thread: Total workshop clearance
05/08/2017 11:26:07

I'm so glad you have sorted things out and you will still be able to enjoy our wonderful hobby, several years ago a friend sold his railway and all his workshop and moved into a small house no garage or garden he told me it was the worst day of his life, he used to come to use my Machineary several days a week as he missed it so.

04/08/2017 08:01:41

What a pity that you are thinking along the lines off finishing with our great hobby, another option depending on what part of the country is for a group off us to help you pack and help the removal of your Machineary to your new home there must be people on this forum who would gladly help

Thread: injector problems still
05/07/2017 13:32:16

Some months ago a friend was having problems along the same lines it was suggested the gap on the steam cone and combining cone was to large so making a set of shims and closing the cap by trial and error he got it to work could yours be the same

Thread: Injectors
17/06/2017 11:59:19

Many thanks for your replies on this subject I most enjoyed reading the link until someone took us in a different direction so it's out with the calculator to determine what to use , thanks

15/06/2017 21:06:14

my brother is coming to the plumbing stage of his 4-1/2 Burrell traction engine he has been told that he needs a 16oz injector I find this wrong as on my 3 in Marshall is fitted a 18oz one what are others using for there Burrell or Marshall thanks

Thread: Farm sale
01/06/2017 08:04:16

I'm with you on the Herbert a lovely restoration project low offer £50-00 and you would be on a winner it looks like there is some tooling as well

Thread: Max speed for an 8 inch 4-jaw?
29/05/2017 09:07:12

On my 18 in dia 4 jaw chuck is stamped max speed to be used 800 rpm but on the 24 in dia faceplate is stamped max speed 900 rpm

Thread: Harrison L5
24/05/2017 15:05:02

i have just acquired a second hand Harrison L5 Lathe from the 1970? it in quite good condition except the sud pump and the chuck key is missing also the lathe tool post could some suggest a suitable one as looking at other posts and suppliers they all seem to small thanks

Edited By Scrumpy on 24/05/2017 15:06:46

Thread: TIG welder Regulator/Flowmeter
14/05/2017 11:16:32

As the post said TIG welder , I will explain what happens in the food and oil/ gas industry for pipe welding for pipes up to three ins when it has to be welded by hand. most are machine welded today,

First shanfer the pipe,then set the gap, seal one end of the pipe , connecting the other end to the flow control and sealing so that gas can only escape through the gap, as you start to TIG weld using a filler rod if required you will see a bead form on the inside as the arc will use the gas from inside leaving a smooth surface just as the outside and no cleaning up .

If you are welding farm gates car body's why use Tig with argon .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric July 5 2018
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
SPG Tools October Seventeen
ChesterUK
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest