By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Compressors
21/01/2020 10:04:10

"no good without some form of pressure regulation"

Most shop compressors come with a reducing valve which can output air to a lower pressure

Thread: Fly press weights.
21/01/2020 09:55:19

Dumbbell exercise weights are a source of cast iron discs.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 21/01/2020 09:56:48

20/01/2020 23:47:26

David,

An air brush compressor would probably run a little Stuart type portable engine but not a 2" TE. You will need a bigger garage type compressor. An air brush compressor has ample pressure to turn over your engine but does not have enough air volume for running continually. It may run your engine for 10 seconds before the reservoir was exhausted.

Thread: A change of scale.
20/01/2020 22:08:36

Scaling a model to a different size is not only about scaling the dimensions. You also have to consider the size of available materials.

Parts which are fabricated from sheet metal and plate or standard size round bar are probably not available in the new scaled size and a substitute size has to be used instead. Associated parts will then have to be modified to suit these items.

Be aware that when the scale model drawings are first drawn, many of the features of the full size engine/machine were simplified or not included. Not a problem if you are scaling down the model drawings but could be if you are scaling up. In which case it is better to copy from the full size drawings.

Paul.

Thread: Dunlop Taper Bushes
20/01/2020 15:16:23

Also lots available on ebay. Do a search for taper lock

Paul

Thread: A good toolpost drill design
20/01/2020 00:27:45

If a hand held gun drill is too bulky, use a flexible drive cable attached to the drill with the chuck on the cable held in the too post. Should be suitable for drilling holes up to 6mm or slightly bigger.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 20/01/2020 00:28:17

19/01/2020 12:24:27

You don't need a lot of pressure to run a TE. 20 - 30 psi will run it over but you need a lot of volume. Air does not have the expansion rate of steam and the reservoir is quickly emptied.

I have a larger engine with a 3.25" piston dia and have an 8 cfm compressor. It takes about 10 minutes to charge the air receiver to 80 psi and will run my engine for a minute or two before it is exhausted. The compressor cannot supply enough air to run continually. A 5 cfm compressor would probably keep a 2" engine running continually without a load.

Paul.

Thread: Take 1 1/2 hors of your life to watch this
19/01/2020 06:04:14

Heaps of good technical information and pointers for machining and worth watching but like many Youtube videos too much un necessary waffle. Video could have been reduced to 1 hour or less.

Paul

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
18/01/2020 12:16:55

Rain has finaly arrived in many areas across Australia. It is welcome but has caused other problems.

More then 250mm has fallen in some areas but because the grasslands have ben burnt it is not restrained and has caused flash flooding. Ash from the fires has poluted rivers, absorbing the oxygen and killing thousands of fish.

Fires are still burning but has given the fire fighters a hand in creating fire breaks to stop its advance. In some cases the rain has hindered them by making roads boggy and stopping the trucks. Mother nature can be savage at times !

Paul.

Thread: Has anyone watched this Girl
18/01/2020 00:38:43

Yes, have watched some of her videos, she is good.

Paul

Thread: Gunmetal or brass
18/01/2020 00:34:42

It could also be another type of bronze.

Gunmetal is a bronze – an alloy of copper, tin and zinc. Proportions of its metals vary. 88% copper, 8-10% tin and 2-4% zinc is usual. Originally it was used for making cannons.

Thread: Mobile Phone
17/01/2020 21:42:04

My son had a similar problem with a service provider who refused to do anything about improving mobile services at our home. My phone is on a different network and has no problem.

He took his complaint to the ombudsman (a government official who hears and investigates complaints by private citizens against other officials or government agencies.) He was able to apply pressure to the service provider to cancel the contract and give a refund.

Paul.

Thread: Steam operated drain cocks
17/01/2020 06:09:59

My preference is for manually operated drain cocks.

If the engine starts to prime , you can open a manual drain to release pressure and prevent damage to the cylinder, piston, etc.

Paul.

Thread: Driving Small Taps
16/01/2020 02:17:14

I hold the small taps in a pin vice with the handle of the vice lightly held in the drill press chuck to keep it aligned with the hole. Then turn the pin vice by hand.

Paul.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
14/01/2020 21:15:19

Worse here Duncan,

We mine the ore, send it to China, buy it back as steel. Then send it back for recycling.

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
14/01/2020 05:46:24

A bit of trivia:

" Bruce is a good Aussie name and well suited to a Wallaby", Back in the 1960's, Bruce was the name of a wombat in a childrens story book.

Young Aussie males travelling in the UK were all calleld "Bruce" (around the time of the baudy movie character, Barry McKenzie) because of their reputation with the ladies. Wombats are fat, lazy animals that eats roots and leaves.

Thread: Homemade Lathe
12/01/2020 22:09:16

I saw this video about building a home made metal lathe and was a bit sceptical at first as to whether it would actually work. I was impressed though by the skills of the fabricator even though his marking-out and building techniques were a bit hit and miss. Not what you would use for making a precision tool.

Paul

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 13/01/2020 18:08:50

Thread: To use chuck or collets
10/01/2020 23:37:30

My mill, lathe and rotary table all have 3MT tapers and can share the same tooling. Very handy to take a job from the lathe and put it in the RT without losing its centre position.

My main problem I had when using the ER adaptor in rotary table was holding the cutters in the mill and had to buy a second 3MT/ER adaptor.

Paul.

10/01/2020 23:15:30

Not sure about Myford, I have a Southbend with a 3MT taper in the headstock. But any adaptor with a MT2 taper should fit into a MT2 hole. The drawbar can simply be a piece of threaded rod with a nut on the other end.

The Southbend with a 3MT taper also uses an adaptor to take 3C collets and is clamped with a hollow drawbar which allows 1/2" dia rod to pass thru it.

Paul

10/01/2020 22:57:23

Steve,

If using a collet chuck in a morse taper, you will need a drawbar to hold it in place. Unless you are also using a centre in the tailstock. Side forces on the work could rattle it free.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/01/2020 22:58:51

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest