By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DIY Electric welder
22/05/2020 06:50:16

Found this link to a cheap DIY electric welder. devilsecret

And I do mean CHEAP !! Would I use it ? NO

Something that I learnt somwhere told me that salt water and 230V of electricity do not mix. What are your thoughts ?

Paul.

**LINK**

Thread: Making a centre finder for the mill
22/05/2020 02:00:56

Informative video and straight to the point without listening to someone who likes the sound of their own voice. The video has also been edited to take out unwanted frames and keep it short. (I normally switch off long winded posts and never watch them to the end)

Paul

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
21/05/2020 06:41:42

I have a Lumix DMC-TZ110 and is the 3rd Panasonic that I have owned and very happy with it.

Features include a 25-250 Optical zoom and a 1" optical sensor. and takes 4K video. A single frame of the video can be captured and make an A3 sze print. Heaps of auto or manual modes including apteture priority, speed priority. Burst mode takes a series of shots and chose the one you want later is great to capture action photos. Or post focus and chose the focus length after you have taken the photo.

The price is at the top end for a compact camera but has most of the features of a big camera in a smaller size.

Paul.

Thread: Mill recomendations ?
18/05/2020 23:27:04

Hi Dave,

Do a search for mill, milling, small mill, etc. There are many posts on this forum discussing the choice and use of a mill.

Cheers, Paul

Thread: New Steel Boiler for under £200
18/05/2020 10:31:38

Not sure of your boiler code in UK but here ia Australia MIG is not allowed. MMA (stick) or TIG only for model steel boilers.

Paul.

Thread: Rotary Table Chucks
17/05/2020 23:40:01

I find that a 4-jaw chuck is more useful as it can hold odd shaped parts. Getting round parts on centre does not take very long with a dial indicator.

I have an RT with 4 slots and the 4-jaw chuck has 4 thru holes and can be bolted to the RT without a backing plate and a spigot keeps it central. Not having a backing plate allows you to fit a larger chuck (same diameter as the RT)

Paul.

Thread: Tig Welder recommendation
16/05/2020 06:06:27

" using your foot & hands together " Like driving a car ! laugh

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
15/05/2020 23:16:41

Everything is very quiet in Sydney.

The model steam locomotive club that I belong to is closed. Also my other club at Maitland (north of Sydney) where we run 12" : foot engines.

April was to be our annual Steamfest rally which we hold in conjunction with the town council and other clubs, attracting up to 50,000 visitors. Two full size steam trains were coming and we had ~15 full size traction and stationary engines and 100+ vintage and modified cars.

Disappointed that I could not go to Steamfest, I attended Homefest to get my fix of steam. **LINK**

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 15/05/2020 23:19:12

Thread: Thread to discuss Solid Edge 2D and 3D
15/05/2020 08:20:19

Learnin to use a 3D CAD prrogram is not an easy task. It is a new language and will take time to master. (how long would it take you to be proficient in Mandarin or Russian, etc).

I have not used Solid Edge but have been a CAD draftsman for 10+ years, now retired. It took us 3 months to master Pro Engineer when it was introduced. When I changed jobs and used Solidworks, I was sent to a full week of training to learn the basics and later anther week to learn the advanved features and still learning.

Software is more friendly now but still takes a lot of study and practice. Stay with it as it is a great resource and has saved me heaps of time in the workshop. Cheaper and quicker to find problems and fix them in the computer than on a lathe oe mill.

Paul.

Thread: Cross slide dial calibrations - opinions sought.
15/05/2020 08:02:17

Add a digital readout.

Even modify a digital caliper and you can switch between metric and imperial. A cheaper setup will not solve the radius / diameter problem but will be much easier to read.

Paul.

Thread: Shaft Tolerance
14/05/2020 13:01:02

All press fit bushes will compress if pushed into a hole for an interference fit and is why the manufacturers specify a toleranced hole to suit.

Machining your own bushes is a different matter but if made to correct engineering standards should be made to the recommended tolerances in the table that Jason referenced. The bodge way out is to make the bore to the required diameter and the OD undersize to the hole and Loctite it into position.

" What size do I machine the shaft to to ensure the snug fit" The shafting diaqmeter is normally the controlling dimension and the bush bore made to suit.

Paul

Thread: Ball Nose End Mill / 10V Bearings Question
14/05/2020 00:31:25

Bull nose cutters do not have an accurate radius as you have found. A better radius would be achieved by using the side of the cutter and machine from the side of the work. Use a cutter with a slightly smaller diameter than the slot will allow you to open it up to the correct width. (the radius would not be purfect but better that using the tip of the bullnose).

Another option is to use a cutter which is the width of the slot and cut from the side of the cutter. (the buttom of the slot will be a purfect radius) and make the bearing to suit the slot.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 14/05/2020 00:32:49

Thread: SX2P Mill - Birds Nest?
14/05/2020 00:06:51

If it is made like an SX3, the spindle bearings are sealed and does not have a lube point and you may need to replace the bearings if there is a problem.

Link to arcurotrade web site showing dismantling procedure: **LINK**

Paul.

Thread: Bending 1/8" Steel Plate
13/05/2020 04:27:47

Tthe original post said that holes were already drilled so assumed that it was also cut to length.

Paul

12/05/2020 23:54:12

If this is the driving handle. You should be able to just hold each end in a vice and bend it by hand. For a bit more leverage use a large shifting spanner (universal metric/imperial tool that fits every nut), or wack it with a hammer as suggested.

Note: If you have to make a tight bend or bend thicker steel, it has to be red hot at the bend. You have to be quick and do it while it is still red.

Paul.

driving handle.jpg

Thread: Understanding Digital Subscriptions
12/05/2020 23:26:40

I use Firefox and it is OK.

I did have a problem previously after I updated Firefox and could open Pocketmags web page but not the magazines. Tried Chrome and I could get in.

After doing another Firefox update to the next version when it was released (a month or so later), everything was fine.

Paul.

Thread: EARTH LEAKAGE
12/05/2020 23:08:03

"Earth Leakage" That explains the problem in Australia with our rivers drying up frown

Thread: Reading Digital MEW
10/05/2020 13:31:18

Geoff,

Are you viewing in Pocketmags or on MEW ? Pocketmags is better.

Paul.

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 05:03:49

I've not seen a tapered drill bit for steel. Drill bits cut on the tip of the drill, not the sides and reamers cut on the sides.

I have see a combination tapered drill / reamer that cuts on both the end and on the sides but only for use in wood.

Where do you get taperred drills for steel ?

Paul.

Thread: In Sydney
06/05/2020 08:04:00

G'Day - Boris,

Welcom to the forum. I'm not into fly fishing but always good to read about other peoples hobbies and interests. I also live in Sydney,

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest