By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Evening all
08/06/2020 08:48:46

Welcome Andy,

I live in Sydney and originally had a Seig SX3 mill and was very pleased with it. I pushed it to its limits, building a 6" scale traction engine but after a 5 years, it started having problems with the electronic motor controllers. The supplier that I purchased it from no longer supplied Seig products and I replaced it with a slightly bigger mill with a standard AC motor and gearbox drive. As long as you have backup support from your supplier it should be OK.

Good luck and I hope to see what you have made with it.

Paul.

Thread: Tangential Tool Holder
08/06/2020 01:54:51

I have one of the tangential holders made by Eccentric Engineering which cuts well and easy to sharpen and yes, the tool bit can get pushed down into the holder. But only under heavy shock loads and is more of a safety feature than a problem. Instead of re-sharpening a broken cutter, just move it back to the correct position.

Paul.

Thread: Keeping Shop clean
07/06/2020 09:13:00

A machine shop with a clean floor ! I don't think they exist. Especially when cutting brass.   The only option to keep the floor clean is a totally enclosed cabinet for your mill or lathe like they have on a CNC machining centre.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 07/06/2020 09:16:45

Thread: Silver Soldering LG2
04/06/2020 23:46:29

what is a starting valve ?

Paul

Thread: Machining Ceramic material
03/06/2020 10:30:51

Diamond tipped drill bits for cutting tiles, glass, etc are cheap on ebay and available in lots of sizes.

Paul

Thread: Arduino/Stepper Motor Dividing Head
02/06/2020 02:30:37

There are bigger displays available and I can read my DRO screen from across the room.

Paul.

Thread: Boiler water level gauge background
02/06/2020 02:07:41

Give it a go Nick, nothing to lose. Those that I bought have a red line in the middle and a white line on each side but a single painted line would probably be OK.

Also a white reflector as shown in my previous post as they are hard to see in dim light without it.

Paul.

gauge glass.jpg

Thread: Chinese DROís
01/06/2020 23:39:29

There are lots of DRO's. More details about the scales would help. Make and model, photo, etc.

Paul

Thread: Boiler water level gauge background
01/06/2020 14:19:51

The glass which I purchased for my engine has a red line painted on the back which works well but needs a white background behind the glass to see the level in low light.

My preference though is for clear glass and a white background with red or black diagonal lines which is what we use on full size engines. The angle of the lines is inverted as light passes thru the water.

Paul.

water gauge.jpg

Thread: Workshop Gloves
01/06/2020 14:03:12

When operating rotating machinery (mill, lathe, bench grinder, etc). It's a simple choice of not getting your fingers and hands dirty and getting the occasional splinter OR keeping your fingers.

I know which one I would choose. The majority of the advise from full time professional machinists is not to wear gloves. But their your hands and its your choice.

Paul.

Thread: DRO on Rong Fu RD45
31/05/2020 23:49:35

Hi Robert,

The photos appear sideways because they were taken vertically. Some smart photo software can sense this and automatically rotate the photo for viewing but it does not actually rotate the original image. You have to use photo editing software to do this before you upload to MEW.

Try useing Windows explorer or other software to view them in their native orientation.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 31/05/2020 23:51:51

Thread: Workshop Gloves
30/05/2020 10:31:41

As well as not wearing gloves near rotating machinery, I was also taught to not wear loose sleeve long sleeves, jewelry, neck ties and long hair.

If a ring catches, it could rip off a finger, a neck tie will strangle you and long hair will give you an instant haircut.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 30/05/2020 10:32:53

Thread: New Lathe - cleaning the oil off
29/05/2020 00:34:45

Kerocene (paraffin) and an old rag.

Thread: Machine Tool Peripheral Hoists
29/05/2020 00:27:39

A lathe that has a 500 lb chuck would be a BIG lathe wink

Thread: Synthetic and enamel paint explained
27/05/2020 11:03:41

I'm only an amateur spray painter and have painted a car with celulose type paint which required a lot of work to get a good finish. Lots of rubbing back between coats and buffing the final coat to get a shine. But it does look good.

I've just painted my traction engine with 2 pack paint which is much quicker. The panels were sand blasted and an etch primer applied, followed by a normal 2 pack primer and rubbed back with wet and dry paper. Then 2 colour coats. No clear coat and no final buffing required for a shiny finish. Probably not as good as I achieved with the celulose paint by applying a clear top coat, rubbing it smooth with fine wet and dry and buffing to get a shine but trying to cut and buff around all the rivet heads on my engine would be almost imposible.

But as mentioned, you do need to wear the correct PPE because it is cancerous if you breath the fumes. I also did the painting outside.

Paul.

42-4.jpg

Thread: Stand for Dremel type power tool
27/05/2020 02:36:28

The toolstock adaptor for my Dremel is very simple and made from a scrap piece of aluminium.

The plastic threaded sleeve that the grinder screws into is made from one of the unused accessories that came with the grinder. Therefore did not have to make a thread, just bore a hole in the adaptor to hold it.

Paul.

dremel holder.jpg

Thread: Toothe broke on lathe chuck
25/05/2020 06:44:22

"How should i be loading these into the chuck?"

Load the jaws in the normal sequence, starting with No 1 but skip the one with the missing tooth.

eg. If the first spline on No2 is broken. Rotate the sctroll and engage No 1, then continue to No 2 but as it is broken keep going and engage No 3. When the start of the scroll comes back to No 2 position, you can engage the second spine.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 25/05/2020 06:48:15

Thread: Can I combine primers on aluminium?
25/05/2020 02:54:40

I am not familiar with the Normfest product but etch primers which contain acid are often used on aluminium to give good bond but can only be used on bare metal. They will not adhere to filler material. Maybe why the instructions say to only apply one coat. Etch primers should be given a coating of a normal primer prior to the colour top coats.

Cannot comment on your ferrous primer without details. Best to find a data sheet for it.

Paul.

Thread: Source for wiper felt
25/05/2020 01:10:16

The wiper holders on my 9" Southbend lathe are a similar shape.

Felt used to be used as an underlay for carpet. Not sure if it is still available but may be another source for material.

Paul.

wiper.jpg

23/05/2020 23:48:42

Try searching for industrial felt or felt for bearing seals. Possibly from bearing and shaft seal suppliers.

Paul.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest