By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Speedy bore and rings
24/02/2013 03:17:16

Can't see that a slightly smaller bore will effect much. The smaller bore will reduce the output power of the engine slightly but should not be a problem with its operation. In the future if the bore is worn and you have to re-machine you can always take it back to the original size.

23/02/2013 23:15:18

Hi Fizzy, The OD of the rings should be the same diameter as the bore otherwise they will not seal properly.

See the link at:- http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/make%20piston%20rings.html

Thread: Bench for SX3 milling machine
23/02/2013 22:07:03

The clamp kit came with the red plastic rack which already had holes for mounting. The mill only weighs 200kg which is only 50kg per corner. The wheels are rated at 90kg each.

Thread: Drawing mechanisms
23/02/2013 21:44:48

Hello David,

All CAD software can accurately draw levers and linkages. For layouts, draw the gears as circles using the PCD (pitch circle diameter). Drawing the shape of involute teeth is a bit more difficult. I use Solidworks and Autocad which can draw to an accuracy of 0.0000001 mm.

There are many free packages like Draftsight or TurboCad which can be downloaded. Trial versions of professional packages like Autocad can also be downloaded and used for a limited time. As with all software there is a slow learning curve before you can use it properly. The more complex the software, the longer it takes to learn.

22/02/2013 23:31:35

This how I made the trolley for my SX3 mill. Easy to move and sturdy to use.

sx3 basetrolley.jpgtrolley drg.jpg

Edited By David Clark 1 on 24/02/2013 10:36:13

Thread: Lathe search
18/02/2013 02:25:17

Search for metal lathe (not lathe-wood)

Thread: LED Work lights for milling machine
14/02/2013 21:41:54

Hi les,

If your LED's are too bright can you reduce the voltage with a variable resistor ?

Thread: Is an old lathe worth bothering with ?
11/02/2013 22:48:25

Hi Richard,

If the lathe is in good condition, go for it . The addition of a variable speed drive would be an advantage.

I have restored an old American 9" Southbend lathe which was also built in Australia under the name of Hercus. It still has a flat belt drive which will be replaced by vee belts one day. (refer to my photo folder).

I am still learning how to use it properly and the flat belts slip if I take too deep of a cut and act as a safety clutch. My only regret when restoring it is that I should have used a harder, tougher paint. Some of the paint is already showing some wear from constant use.

Paul.

Thread: Tapered keyway
11/02/2013 12:36:27

Thanks for the advice.

(Reference: The key slot is for the flywheel on my 6" scale traction engine which is 1.1/8" ID x 3" long)

I have also found a copy of the Machinerys Handbook which has dimensions of taper keys (BS 4235) showing that the key and slot has a 1 in 100 taper but does not show how to make it.

Also found this site for fitting a gib key:

http://www.utterpower.com/fitting_gib_keys.htm

Edited By Paul Lousick on 11/02/2013 12:37:46

11/02/2013 01:27:40

How do you cut a tapered key slot in the hub for a gib head key ?

I have access to broaches to cut parrallel slots.

My first thought was to cut a parrallel slot and then use a tapered shim to angle the broach. Would this work ?

Paul.

Thread: digital height gauge displays random numbers
10/02/2013 10:48:55

I have found that thse types of gauges do not like moisture. The DRO's on my mill sometimes have similar symptoms when it has been raining for a long period. They operated correctly after they have dried out.

03/02/2013 22:09:52

Hi Gary, My SX3 came with its own factory made base which is 870mm high. This is a comfortable height to work with. I only have a small corner of my garage to use as a workshop and have mounted the base on wheels so I can push the mill out of the way when not needed.

coolant system.jpg

Edited By David Clark 1 on 24/02/2013 10:34:54

Thread: Best piston material for cast iron cylinders
03/02/2013 21:55:56

Some full size engines use aluminium with cast iton rings to reduce the mass of piston.

Car engines have aluminium alloy pistons and cast iron rings.

Thread: LED Work lights for milling machine
31/01/2013 11:53:33

Got mine from

http://stores.ebay.com.au/dreammacys6au?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Search for: 48 SMD White LED Light Panel T10 Festoon Ba9s Dome 12V

30/01/2013 11:46:36

Michael,

A bargain and better than the lights which I had already added to the mill. The originals were mounted on flexible arms and mounted to the side of the column. (you can see one of them in the top photo) They originally had incandescent lamps fitted but they would not stand up to the constant vibration and quickly failed. Replacing the globes with LED's solved this but they were always getting in the way of the drill lever and the electric cables powering the drive motor. These do a much better job, there is no glare from the lights and they are directly over the work area.

Paul.

30/01/2013 11:11:00

These are 48 white LED panels which I have mounted on my milling machine. Bought them on e-bay for $2.59 each which included free postage from Hong Kong.

Powered them from an old 12v plugpack. They come with double sided tape which I stuck to the underside of the mill head. (shown below iluminating work area)

Hope that thus was useful.led lights 1.jpgled lights 2.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 30/01/2013 11:15:22

Thread: Stuart V10
29/01/2013 08:24:50

Hello Berra,

All steam engines have drain cocks on both sides of the cylinder to drain any water that may be in the steam lines. When you first start a steam engine you leave the cocks open and only close them after the engine has been warmed thru and all of the water disappears.

Water does not compress and if the cylinder is full of water when the piston is advance you will either bend a piston rod, crack the cylinder head or blow the end off your cylinder head.

Hope this was useful, Regards, Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 29/01/2013 08:26:53

Thread: Injectors v pumps
23/01/2013 09:52:02

I have not driven a loco so can only talk about experience with injectors and pumps on traction engines and road rollers. Often we tow a heavy trailer loaded with water, wood and coal and find that the injector is temperamental about changes in steam pressure when going up and down hills. The injector normally is reliable when the engine is stationary. (like outside the pub).

I too am a "belts and braces man" and prefer at least 2 different ways to get water into the boiler. The Ruston Proctor which I an building is designed for an injector and a Moore pump (like a Weir pump) but I want to add a mechanical pump as well.

Regards, Paul.

22/01/2013 09:18:13

Hello John,

I drive full size traction engines, Fowler, Aveling and Porter, Alchin and find it is much easier to use a mechanical pump. Just turn one valve to supply water to the boiler. Injectors are a bit more finicky. And yes, there are problems with air locks and leaking seals. Good maintenance required !

With injectors, you turn the water on and carefully throttle the steam valve to inject the water. Often does not work the first time. Some injectors also work best at different pressures. Sometimes there is a low pressure and a high pressure injector. If the injector is too hot it will not pick-up. Injectors require a steady steam pressure and if you are rolling you have to back off on the throttle or the injector will drop out.

I doubt if you could use your injector to run continuousy for a track run. They are sized to deliver a set volume of water, normally much more than a pump and cannot be throttled. A pump works continually and dumps the water back into the tank when not required. When you turn the pump valve, water is diverted from returning to the tank and is fed to the boiler. It is possible to throttle this valve and only divert some of the water to the boiler.

I am building a 6" Ruston Proctor which only has an injector and a steam operated pump to supply boiler feed water. Others that I have seen in steam articles have a mechanical pump. But i intend to add a mechanical pump to my engine because it is easier to operate.

I need a drawing for a mechanical pump suitable for a 6" Ruston Proctor (10" dia boiler) if anyone can assist.

Regards, Paul.

Thread: Cheap Coolant system for a mini-mill
21/01/2013 23:03:01

Hello Johan,

I made my coolant sytem from a 12 volt car windscreen washer pump and a 4 litre plastic bottle. Power from a 12v battery and variable resistor for speed control. Plug pack charger to keep battery topped up.

Suction for the pump is from the side of the bottle, not the bottom so any swarf is not picked up.

Paul.

coolant system.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest