By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fixed Steady for Square Stock
22/04/2020 03:55:56

A cat head is sim[le to make. Previous post with an example shown here but instead oh holding in the chuck use a fixed steady. The double row of bolts alows you to centralize it on your job and align it with the axis

Paul

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Lousick on 22/04/2020 03:59:01

Thread: Advice on Building Powerful Toy Cannon
20/04/2020 14:10:35

Duncan,

The HP safety police would not let us do the things that were done at scouts, years ago. The game of "Bulldog" was banned in the 1960's as was "Fire ball soccer" where a ball out of chicken wire was stuffed with cloth, soaked in kerocene (parrafin). Then set on fire and kicked around the field at night. All was good until a kid was hit with a hot ball and had the shape of the chicken wire branded on his face.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 20/04/2020 14:11:45

20/04/2020 04:09:08

"a safe but powerful cannon" these words are contradictory. Whatever you make could be dangerous for kids.

But a Balista or Medieval catapult is an idea. When I was a scout leader we made them to fire bags of flour. You could use soccer balls. Do a search on Google for examples.

Paul.

Thread: Hardened and chromed steel rod
20/04/2020 03:46:15

Stainless rod is softer than chrome and will wear a lot quicker but may be OK. Just depends on how much use it will get.

Paul

Thread: Holding a clutch cone in a lathe
20/04/2020 01:01:01

A photo is worth a thousand words to show the problem

Thread: UNC dilemma
19/04/2020 04:38:49

Andrew,

Buying second hand taps and dies is a gamble as you don't know if they are sharp and will cut as required. Unless you have a tool and cutter grinder to re-sharpen.

Paul.

Thread: Boxford C Lathe
19/04/2020 00:03:21

Hi Steve,

Your Boxford lathe is similar to my Southbend which was originally fitted with a reversible motor to change the direction of the spindle. It does not have gearing to do this.

The lever on your lathe with the red knob is for reversing the direction of the lead screw.

The lever at the back is for engaging the back gears that turn the spindle at a slower speed. But when engaged, a drive pin (shown in the photo) has to be dis-engaged otherwise they will lock-up and could cauld cause damage to the gears.

Paul

back gear.jpg

Thread: fresh meat
18/04/2020 03:53:20

Using a lathe for fresh meat is not recommended. Too messy to clean up afterwards.

Seriously though. The internet, Youtube, etc is a good place for information. Harold Hall's web site is very helpful. http://www.homews.co.uk/index.html. Also Google his name for more info and projects.

Find a small project to start with to gain experience. Perhapse a simple stationary steam engine which will run on compressed air and ask questions of how to turn each part.. We all had to start somewhere. Lots of helpful members on this forrum.

Good luck, Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 18/04/2020 03:54:02

Thread: Direct morse taper collets
17/04/2020 14:16:08

I use MT3, split type collets with a drawbar in my RF-45 mill to hold cutters.

Very handy for a bit more head room under the cutter. Also a bit more rigid as they do not protrude as much from the end of the spindle. 

No problem removing them.  If a light tap on the drawbar does not work, there is a slot in the side of the spindle and a tapered wedge can be inserted to remove the collet. (photo shows an ER collet holder but the split type are ejected the same way).

Paul.

taper removal.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 17/04/2020 14:19:33

Thread: Source for 1.4310/301 stainless spring steel strip
15/04/2020 00:07:28

Deleted.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 15/04/2020 00:08:52

Thread: Glass scale /DRO compatibility
12/04/2020 23:31:04

I have an Eason DRO with glass scales on my mill and they use a 9 pin plug as shown in your photo.

Paul.

Thread: What am i going to make with this scrap
11/04/2020 04:35:56

No such thing as scrap. Instead a valuable source of raw material. Unless it is too small to hold in a vice or lathe chuck. Its only after you throw it out that you realise a use for it.

Paul.

Thread: Scale Engine Speed
11/04/2020 00:14:37

Hi William, " Will be steam, triple expansion. Still a bit of a pipe dream, especially with this coronavirus. Will this affect the scale speed though? "

There should not ne a problem. Your engine would not be susceptible to catching coronavirus and the steam should kill it if it did. LOL.

Sorry for that, Paul

Thread: I once built a go cart
09/04/2020 04:17:59

Fantastic model cars (this a model engineers forum). Love to see the full size one. smileyyes (LOL)

Paul

Thread: Australian Crayfish?
08/04/2020 23:26:09

We don't eat shrimp in Australia ! Prawns, yes.

08/04/2020 06:44:40

We also have another freshwater crustacean in Australia called a yabby, found in fresh water rivers and dams. A bit like a prawn (shrimp) but with a big pair of nippers that can puncture your fingers if not careful. (don't ask how I know). Originaly only used the smaller ones as fishing bait but now becoming popular to eat and far cheaper than crayfish.

Paul

yabby.jpg

07/04/2020 14:32:28

I live in Australia and cannot remember the last time that I had lobster. Most are exported and sold at exorbitant prices, much more than I can afford. Our next option for shell fish are mud crabs which sell for $30 - $60 per kg.

Lobsters/crayfish are actually on sale at the moment from my local green grocer that also sells seafood. They are selling half a small cooked lobster weighing only 350g for A$22 each (A$62.83 per kg)

They are imported from Tristan Island which is in the South Atlantic Ocean between South America and South Africa. Unfortunately, I will not be having them for Eater.

Paul.

Thread: A few Thou Under?
02/04/2020 22:57:56

I use a table from Maryland Metrics that has the maximum and minimum size of the threads. (extract shown below)

Paul.

Downloaded from **LINK**

screw thread dimensions.jpg

Thread: Small drill bit in large drill press?
02/04/2020 22:08:59

I use a pin chuck to hold  drills as small as 0.3mm in a pin chuck that uses collets. Your biggest problem with accuracy is the runout of the Jacobs chuck in your drill.

Paul

pin chuck.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 02/04/2020 22:10:46

Thread: Source of Small Extension Springs
02/04/2020 06:02:40

Lots available on ebay

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest