By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Info required
27/12/2019 02:23:03

Lots of articles on the internet, Youtube, etc about adding a power feed to the Z-axis screw. Mostly using a stepper motor for CNC conversion but no reason a standard gearmotor could not be used instead just to raise and lower the head.

Paul.

Thread: A Question on Bench Blocks
26/12/2019 12:45:11

I have made similar blocks, not for knocking out pins or for use on guns but as a guide when hand drilling or tapping holes. When held flat on a flat surface the drill bit or tap is guided perpendicular to the surface. Not as accurate as using a drill press but does a reasonable job for those less inportant holes. The guide blocks are not hollow and slightly shorter than the thread tap.

Paul.

Thread: Warco WM18 lead screws upgrade
26/12/2019 12:15:55

Ball screws are a common upgrade when converting a mill to CNC. They are available with anti-backlash nuts.

Paul.

Thread: Eccentrics
24/12/2019 20:46:46

The valve eccentrics on my Ruston Proctor SD traction engine are set at 32 degrees (as shown on the supplied drawings) and the engine is running OK but I would be interested in knowing what angle other engines are using.

Paul

eccentric.jpg

Thread: Grinding wheel arbour
23/12/2019 02:07:12

Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify a few points:

Yes, I do know that the wheels are clamped between 2 pieces of paper and that they have to be dressed to make them concentric as the wheel hole is not that accurate and that the spindle on a standard grinder is also not that accurate. Which is why the wheels are mounted on a metal adaptor and then only need a slight dressing of the wheel.

A separate adaptor/arbour is required for each wheel and is located by a taper onto the motor shaft. The parallel shaft would have to be ground for a mating taper. I believe that a short morse taper is used on some grinders.

The Deckel grinder also has a jacking screw arrangement in the wheel adaptor for removing the wheels, which is the type of information I am seeking. (why re-invent the wheel).

Thanks Keith for suggesting Sopko wheel adaptors. **LINK**

Cheers, Paul

22/12/2019 08:52:13

I would like to easily change the wheels on a grinder without having to balance and dress them each time and would like to mount the wheel on a steel arbour with a taper bore. Similar to that used on a Deckel D-bit grinder.

Does anyone have a drawing of the arbour ?

Paul.

Thread: Keyway Broaching
16/12/2019 05:20:05

I broke a small drill press trying to broach a 3mm keyway. So proceed with caution.

Paul.

Thread: Weldon Shank in collet?
14/12/2019 22:23:15

Mark,

The end mills with a flat should not be a problem. I have a couple and use them in an ER collet without any problem.

Paul

Thread: Soldering with tin
13/12/2019 21:16:17

Do a search for "Tin metal granules" (or similar) on ebay. I recently purchased some that was 99% pure tin which I used to make fusible plugs for a boiler.

Paul

Thread: Plumbers Jointing Paste ???
12/12/2019 07:29:57

Loctite also sell pipe sealant for high temperature applications.

Paul

Thread: Plumbing question
10/12/2019 00:48:48

It is true that "If the flow into the pipe at 3/8 end is 10 litre/min ,the flow through the 1/4 pipe will be 10 litres/min,as will the flow out of end of 3/8 pipe". The 1/4" pipe is the restrictor that controls the volume thru the pipe. Inclease this and the flow will be greater then 10 litres/min.

A 1/2" dia garden hose connected to a 1/2" tap which is connected to a 1/2" water supply pipe is another example. When the tap is fully open there is a 1/2" bore thru all items and at 50psi you will get about 30 gallons/min but as the tap is closed (similar to going thru a smaller intermediate pipe) the volume of water out of the end reduces. The pressure will also be reduced slightly because of the extra friction. Adding more bends in the pipe run or reduced bore diameter in connector fittings will also reduce the flow and pressure.

Paul.

Thread: Magazine article series.
09/12/2019 22:07:13

Images from your computer screen are only captured at the resolution setting and size of your screen and therefore are not that good.

I much preferred the ease of to printing a copy of a page from within MEW. But you can get a good, detailed copy in pdf format by using the PocketMags viewer. Its limited to only printing 2 pages at a time and takes less than a minute.

You can then use a pdf editing program to join all of the pdf prints into one book but my preference is to convert them to jpg file and use your standard photo viewer.

Paul.

Thread: Help re: motor & Dewhurst switch wiring for Boxford lathe please?
04/12/2019 23:05:39

David, do a search in the box above for " Dewhurst ". lots of previouse posts on MEW. Im not an expert but not all single phase motors are reversible.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 04/12/2019 23:06:03

Thread: In line water valve control
30/11/2019 22:47:56

Hi Michael,

(4" long control. The shaft fits into the valve). Are you refering to an extension for the valve spindle ? (Photo ?)

If so, the normal practise on full size engines is to have a square sectiion on the end of the valve spindle and the extension rod has a head with a square hole that fits over the spindle.

Paul.

water valve.jpg

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
29/11/2019 10:04:56

The photos and drawings show a pipe connected from the valve chest to a hole in the base plate which is bolted to a wooden base. Where does the steam/air exhaust to ? Is this pipe not used when running ?

Paul.

Thread: Exotic welding
29/11/2019 07:36:04

Friction welding is also used to fuse together big pieces of steel.

One of the projects which I worked on was machinery that replaced the anodes used in aluminium smelters. Aluminium is made in enormous electrical furnaces and use carbon anodes. ( Aluminium smelter use more electricity than that of a small town). The anodes are basically big blocks of carbon 900 x 900 x 1000 - 1500mm long and mounted on a steel stem. The stem has a number of branches at the bottom which fit into holes in the carbon block. Molten cast iron is used as a filler for bonding them together (similar process to solderring but on a bigger scale).

The carbon is eventually eroded away and has to be replaced. The bottom of the support stems is cut off and new ones welded in place. The re-furbished stem is used again with a new carbon block.

New pieces are spun at speed and friction welded to the bottom of the spigots at the bottom of the support stem. These are 150 - 250mm diameter and welded in minutes.

Paul

anode.jpg

Photo after the pouring of cast iron.

Thread: DRO on a Mill
29/11/2019 04:46:14

What keeps the head from rotating on the round column. I know some mills have a guide/key but will still allow a slight mis-alignment when raised.

Paul.

Thread: Brass Tarnishing
28/11/2019 12:12:09

In the early days (I am not that old and only read about it), they used lanolin from sheeps wool to prevent tarnishing and rusting of metal. It is now available at hardware stores in a spray can. Good for your dry hands as well.

Paul.

Thread: DRO on a Mill
27/11/2019 01:06:59

My original mill, a Sieg SX3 had a digital scale fitted to the quill but the RF-45 (clone) did not.

My Easson digital readout has lots of features. Bolt pattern positions, PCD, inclines, different memories and can cut a curved edge by moving the cutter to the X and Y co-ordinates shown on the display. With the addition of a scale on the Z-axis, this can also be done vertically.

The Z-scale is bery useful for not only drilling holes but for accurately milling to a specific depth.

Paul.

26/11/2019 22:12:23

I have an RF-45 mill/drill and have the Z-scale on the quill which is much more accurate in controlling the height of the cutter. The mill head is normally locked in position when machining to make it more rigid while machining. Even more important on a round column mill because the head could rotate on the column. Much easier on my mill to adjust cutter height with the quill than with the column because it has a geared micro adjusting knob which can raise/lower the quill by a thou or 2.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
cowells
mid gard rail Jan 2020
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest