By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
18/04/2019 23:40:33

Do a search for DRO. Lots of posts already on MEW.

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 02:28:36

I originally bought a set of the cheaper telescopic gauges but was not happy with them. Instead purchase a dial indicator type. £50 ish and includes a dial indicator. Easier to use for an unskilled operator like myself.

Paul.

Thread: water gauges
16/04/2019 13:35:31

Not sure of size of boiler on Simplicity roller. This code does not apply for boilers having a design pressure of less than 250 kPa (36 psi), a barrel diameter of less than 100mm {4"}  and a water capacity of less than 1 litre.

I am not familiar with a GWR style water column. Anyone have a photo/drawing ?

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 16/04/2019 13:41:51

16/04/2019 01:42:54

Duncan,

I do not have a copy of AMBSC issue 7 (Copper boilers) but do have a copy of issue 4 for Steel boilers which has a similar statement.

water column.jpg

I talked to our model club inspector who explained that the water gauge had to be connected, totally independent of any other take-off to the boiler. In some installations the column could be connected by a couple of pipe bends which could possibly give a false water level reading even though it has been done on older installations. (they also had professional boiler designers).

The original drawings for my boiler has the water gauge connected to a steam manifold at the top which was also used to feed the injectors. It is not allowed because changes in pressure when the injector is used causes a false water level reading and amateur operators may not be aware of the problem.

Paul.

Thread: Printing small parts for car restoration
15/04/2019 23:09:28

There are different types of plastics for 3D printing. Some stronger than others. Nylon filament is available and used for making gears.

Paul.

Thread: 2 pack, enamel...paint advice please!
04/04/2019 09:39:16

I am at the stage of painting my model traction engine and am using 2-pack paint. No expensive eqipment. I have a respirator as listed above and spray outdoors. If indoors I would need the proper gear..

As I am only painting a model engine, I am using a small touch-up spray gun. The paint tank only holds about a teacup volume of paint and only needs 4-5 cfm of air. (model size spray gun to paint a model engine). This type of gun is all you will need, available at auto parts stores for about $60.

If any of the steel was rusted, I sanded and applied rust converter. Then a coat of primer and a quick sand to smooth. Small holes in casting filled with spot putty.

The 2-pack paint consists of a can of colour and a can of hardener which is mixted together and has a pot life of about 30 minutes. A second coat can be applied in less than 10 minutes and is touch dry in 2 hours.

Clean-up is easy. Emply paint tank and give a quick rinse with thinners. Then add 1/2 tank of clean thinners and give tIhe gun a good shake to rinse any paint at the top of the gun/tank. I then hold a piece of cloth over the gun nozzle which collects all of the spray. Use the wet cloth to clean outside of gun and top ot paint tin before re-sealing. Half fill tank with clean thinners and repeat.

2 pack.jpg

High gloss finish achieved with little effort.

Pin striping applied with a Beugler lining tool using "One Shot", signwriters paint. This paint is very thick and will cover any colour with one application. (My first attempt with using the Beugler). The paint takes 10-12 hours to dry. It is done freehand and requires a steady hand. Mine is a bit wobbly but happy with the result.

Paul

Thread: Hamerite or not?
02/04/2019 22:20:44

I painted my lathe (not Myford) with Hamerite. Looked good at first but found that it wears off easily. Next time I will us a 2-pack automotive paint which is much tougher.

Paul.e

Thread: Natural gas for TIG welding
01/04/2019 11:53:32

I'm not an expert (others can give a better explanation) but MIG gas is normally a mixture of Argon and CO2.

Pure CO2 can be used and provides very deep weld penetration, which is useful for welding thick material; however, it also produces a less stable arc and more spatter than when it is mixed with other gases.

TIG welding uses pure Argon. Using MIG gas for TIG will erode the tungsten electrode.

Paul.

Thread: Please help machining
01/04/2019 09:45:59

Hi Jo,

A drawing or photo with a few dimensions would help. You also need to tell us where you live. There are members all over the world. I am in Australia.

Paul.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
01/04/2019 07:30:42

Today I added a new tool to my mill.

I am at the stage of painting the parts of my traction engine and for the flywheel, clamped a piece of round bar in the mill chuck as a pivot. Then used the DRO and a pen in the chuck to mark the outline of the black circle as a guide for applying masking tape prior to spray painting.

Additional colours were added with a Beugler striping tool held in the chuck.

beugler.jpg

Thread: Dishwasher detergents
30/03/2019 22:52:01

Link to Finish Powerball dishwasher detergent:

**LINK**

30/03/2019 08:28:42

I'm not game to wash engine parts in the dishwasher for fear of the fallout but I do know that the detergent tablets are abrasive. They will blunten the sharp edge on kitchen knives. They are also corosive and ate away the aluminium rivets that held the handles on my quality brand chefs knives. Fortunately thay came with a lifetime waranty and were replaced.

Paul.

Thread: Looking to purchase a new 4 jaw chuck
29/03/2019 21:41:51

For reference, this is a 6" Bernerd light duty chuck. My preferred 4-jaw for most work on my Southbend lathe (same thread as Myford). Screwed sirectly to spindle with no back plate reduces overhang.

Paul.

p1000555.jpg

p1000554.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 29/03/2019 21:42:30

29/03/2019 00:46:47

Dave,

I have a Southbend lathe which has a centre height of 4 1/2" and use a 6" Bernerd chuck similar to the one in your photo. Also have a heavier, chunkier 4-jaw but prefer the slimer one. (I am building a 6" traction engine).  The 115mm version should be perfect for your ML10.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 29/03/2019 00:49:41

Thread: Newbie with a chuck query
28/03/2019 05:56:02

Just saw this quick and nasty way to grind chuck jaws on Youtube. . It works but I would not stand in line with the spacers and would run the chuck a bit slower.

**LINK**

Thread: Can anyone solve this problem?
27/03/2019 12:09:16

Easy enough to work out X in a 3D model but need value of C & V

Thread: Low rate automatic house plant watering system
27/03/2019 01:39:37

Most of the hardware stores in Autralia sell timers for controlling irrigation systems in the garden. They have multiple programs which allow you to set the time and day of the week that you want to water. Some have sensors to detect rainy days that do not require waterring (could probably be adapted to sence soil moisture). The timers have a 12v output for controlling solenoids and pumps. If not available where you live there is always the internet.

You will need the type that electrically controls solenoids, not the type that is connected directly to the water tap. Small garden pond pumps could be used to distribute the water.

Example: **LINK**

Paul.

Thread: DRO on Rong Fu RD45
25/03/2019 05:26:56

The RF quill stop shown above is as Clive describes, just a screw with a nut. The same as you have on a bench drill. It is not accurate and I only use it for drilling holes.

The digital readout shown is the same type as used in digital calipers. It is just as accurate as the calipers and just as reliable (or not) as the cheaper brands. It is the same as I had on my SX3 mill. It is an inexpensive addition to the mill. ($20-$30 on ebay for a digital height gauge or $200-$300+ for glass scales)

The glass scale (or magnetic) and displays are more accurate, reliable and have more features. I am using an Easson brand unit which calculate more than just a distance between 2 points. eg. Stores datum point when power is turned off, calculates the mid point between 2 positions, holes on a PCD, has a number of memories and can calculate the movement required in the Z-axis and the X-axis to mill a vertical curve.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 25/03/2019 05:27:44

24/03/2019 23:23:21

Our equipment supplier in Australia also sell a version of the mill fitted with digital readouts. On the quill they use a cheaper version, similar to that used on the Seig SX3 mill.

dro on quill.jpg

Thread: Temperature probe
24/03/2019 07:53:16

Temperature probes are available for use with a multi-meter at reasonable prices. (electronic store, ebay, etc). I think they work by measuring the change in resistance of the sensor as temperature changes. Some multi-meters have a temperature setting on their display.

Another option is one of the hand held laser temperature guns. (Cheap as chips on ebay). Dis-assemble and use the internal parts with longer wires. Or operate it remotely with a lever or cable system. They have a hold feature that stores the temperature reading.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 24/03/2019 07:57:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest