By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
04/07/2019 23:10:08

Lots of videos and tutorials on Youtube for Solidworks

Thread: Injector help
04/07/2019 03:44:42

Injector is a LSM No 7 injector rated at 5 pints/minute.

Paul

03/07/2019 07:51:01

On LSM injectors all ports have a flat type adaptor fitting where the tube is soldered to the fitting. Photo of injector with 5/16" tube fittings shown below.

Note: They are advertised as used with 5/16" pipe which is technically incorrect because pipe is specified by a nominal bore and not its outside diameter. Tube is specified by its OD and these injector adaptors have a 5/16" bore. (Sorry about the rave)

Paul

injector.jpg

Thread: Screw thread identification
29/06/2019 06:55:27

Thanks Colin.

My BSB thread chart does not list a 9/16" thread but BSC does and it appears to to be similar. I have a 1/2" BSB tap and the thread profile matches.

Cheers, Paul.

29/06/2019 04:45:55

I have a 5/16" (8mm) steam injector, purchased from LSM and would like to replace one of the pipe nuts with a different fitting but cannot identify the thread .

The thread has a max diameter of 14.15mm and a pitch of 1mm. (is this a custom made thtead ???)

Paul.

injector.jpg

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
28/06/2019 14:16:16

My garage is just that "a workshop" not a showroom. Otherwise nothing would be built. I do clean swarf regularly from working surfaces of mill and lathe and lubricate.

Paul.

Thread: model engineer digital version
26/06/2019 05:55:17

Its posted in Pocketmags and I would expect it to also be posted here. ????

Paul.

Thread: Drawing for a miniature quarter turn valve
24/06/2019 07:39:04

Globe valves and ball valves can also be used for controlling steam supply to injectors. If you need a flanged type valve, a commercially available valve could be modified by screwing or silver soldering onto a flange.

Paul.

Thread: small belts
24/06/2019 07:22:00

3D printer timing belt is 6mm wide. Join ends together with Loctite, same as you join O-ring material. Run on the tooth side of the belt or alternatively on the ftat side.

Paul.

Thread: laser cut mild steel
23/06/2019 23:49:10

An alternative to laser cutting is water jet cutting which does not have the problem caused by heating the metal.

Materials are cut using a jet of pressurised water as high as 60,000 pounds per square inch (psi).

To increase cutting ability, abrasives such as garnets and aluminum oxide are often added. The overall process mimics erosion in nature, just at a much higher speed and concentration. Water jets are capable of cutting many industrial materials including stainless steel, titanium, aluminium, tool steel, ceramics, granite, and armour plate.

Paul

Thread: Steam whistle desigh
20/06/2019 23:23:04

Thanks Paul,

I have also searched the web but could not find a good answer. Looks like it will be a bit of trial and error to achieve a successful design.

Paul.

20/06/2019 13:15:05

Help required for design of the bottom edge of a steam whistle bell .

Some drawings show a bevel on the outer edge (left drawing) of the bell at the bottom while others show it on the inside (right drawing). While others have a square edge and no bevel.

Where should the gap in the base be located in relation to the leading edge of the bell. Aimed at the inside edge, middle or outer edge ?

What width gap for steam discharge in the whistle base is recommended for a 1 1/2" dia whistle ?

Paul.

whistle.jpg

Thread: Precision Metal Pen Oiler
18/06/2019 22:44:52

There are lots of precision type oilers on ebay including this one which looks very much like the ink pens that I used when I worked as a draftsman. It has a 0.1mm nib and it is for sale for AU$ 4.69. Less than 1/10 the price I paid for a Rotring pen.

Paul.

precision oiler.jpg

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Lousick on 18/06/2019 23:12:19

Thread: sulphuric acid
16/06/2019 08:36:56

Just my opinion but I do not like pouring anything down the drain except water. I hear about too much rubbish being sent out to sea to feed our marine life. Not my problem some say. Our kids to will fix any problems. Not sure about the UK but we have drop off centres and council collections which will dispose of chemicals, paints, etc (sorry about the rave but we are killing our planet).

Paul.

Thread: Mini Lathe footprint dimensions and will it slide
14/06/2019 07:32:27

There are more than 1 mini lathes on the market and are not all identical. You should be able to download an operators or parts manual for the lathe which you intend to purchase which should show overall dimensions, mounting dimensions and weight.

Paul.

Thread: Drip feed oiler plans
08/06/2019 23:20:54

Model Engineer 8 December 2017 has an article and drawings for a 3" scale lubricator,

Paul

Thread: Internal grooving help required.
08/06/2019 02:43:05

What about one of these ? AU$15.94 on ebay.

Paul

mgivr2016 boring bar.jpg

**LINK**

Thread: Hi and GMT Question
07/06/2019 11:13:49

Hi Mark,

I am building a 6" Ruston Proctor SD, just a bit smaller than the Burrell. The rear wheels are 24" and flywheel 15" dia. I only have a small workshop with no room for a big lathe or mill and most of the turning work has been done on a 9" Southbend and an SX3/RF-45 mill. For the few bigger items I did elsewhere. Join a club and you will probably find members who have bigger equipment and can help.

The original Ruston SD engine does not have a mechanical water pump and I am fitting one from the Burrell and bought it from Edward who I found to be very helpful. The castings were excellent and the drawings well made. He even provided a copy in CAD format.

Good luck with your build, Paul.

Thread: Milling spindle
06/06/2019 23:42:38

My lathe and rotary table both have a 3MT spindle and I hold the work in a collet holder which can be transfered from one machine to the other and maintain concentricity.

Paul

06/06/2019 23:42:36

My lathe and rotary table both have a 3MT spindle and I hold the work in a collet holder which can be transfered from one machine to the other and maintain concentricity.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest