By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Novice attempts to build a Filing Machine
09/07/2020 03:36:05

Hi Ro,

Mastering a mill or lathe is a long lerning curve and we have all made mistakes but this is how we learn so keep at it. A bit like playing golf. Lots of miss hits and slices into the rough but that one elusive birdie makes it all worth while.

The surface of CI castings can be very hard and difficult to remove. You can use an angle grinder to get under the skin and remove high spots to make milling easier. A router is probably too fast and not robust enough for milling cast iron and will be damaged by heavy use. I previously used a router motor as a die grinder and wrecked the bearings trying to grind metal. (another learning experience).

Your finished parts are looking good.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 09/07/2020 03:37:02

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
08/07/2020 00:03:52

Thanks Emgee,

The streets around my home are very quiet and not a lot of cars and people and complying with the social distancing regulations are not a problem.

Driving around the block where I live is easy and I would like a bigger challenge and have loaded the trailer with extra supplies for the trip.

Have I missed anything else that I may need ? dont know

Paul.

rus and trailer 2.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 08/07/2020 00:05:04

07/07/2020 14:22:25

"If the manager does not have an appreciation of the process, he is a lamb to the slaughter"

I worked for a company that enlisted a manager like that. It was a successful multi million dollar business but because of bad decisions and not knowing what he was talking about, sent the company broke.

Paul.

07/07/2020 11:18:48

The antique engine and model clubs that I am a member of are still closed because of the lock-downs and it's getting a bit boring at home on my own so decided today to go on another One Man Rally with my traction engine.

Paul

**LINK**

Thread: Short drill or Spot / Centre drill first
07/07/2020 11:03:01

If you want the holes to be within a thou of each other, I would use a spotting drill first (or a small centre drill if you do not have one). A short 3mm drill could drill flex slightly but spotting and centre drills have a bigger diameter and more rigid.

Paul.

Thread: Carbon fibre pendulum rod
07/07/2020 10:56:24

Can you reduce the end diameter of the rod and thread and use a thin wall sleeve to join them together. Metal ferrules in a number of sizes are available at fishing equipment suppliers for joining rods together.

Paul

Thread: Mill
07/07/2020 00:22:26

Deleted

Edited By Paul Lousick on 07/07/2020 00:25:36

Thread: Whatís the tolerance??
04/07/2020 11:52:44

Hi Nick,

My reference to the standard of drawings was directed at those sold by commercial suppliers of model engines, which should be to a better standard. These drawings have been re-engineered for making a model version of the original and normally have a copyright warning on them.

Yes, drawings in magazines are often created by non-trained draftsmen (sorry, draft person), but should indicate the type of fit required. eg. Interference, slide fit, running fit, etc. to give an indication of what to make. Which is why this thread was originally posted as there was no reference on the drawing.

Paul.

Thread: Upload photos - canít identify which one
04/07/2020 11:24:07

Michael,

I have just checked the link to your photos in MEW and they all appear as photos.

Paul

Thread: Whatís the tolerance??
04/07/2020 03:21:50

All manufacturing drawings should have a tolerance for parts on drawings or at lease the type of fit of mating parts. There are industrial standards for these. BUT most of the detail drawings which are supplied for models seems to have them missing.

This I beleive is because they have been created "on the cheap" and not by experienced draftsmen who have the required qualifications. (One of my pet rants as I have worked as a professional design draftsman/engineer for 40 years and expect a better standard on drawings).

On the other hand, if the drawings were made by a professional, they would cost $1000's instead of $100's to buy. Ya get wot ya pay for ! dont know

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 04/07/2020 03:22:53

Thread: Printing from Digital Archive
27/06/2020 23:20:12

The next FAQ which seems to be posted weekly is "which lathe or mill should I buy"

Paul.

Thread: Gear Generator
25/06/2020 11:50:35

Rush Gears offer a free service to download standard gears or design your own. Drawings can be downloaded in a number of different CAD formats including 3D models.

They also have other online services and also manufacture the gears if rrequired but they are in the USA.

**LINK**

Paul.

Thread: Boiler Fittings
25/06/2020 05:44:47

Hi Matt, I will try to answer a few of your questions but not familiar with a Reeves 6"

Firstly, are you building to a drawing because all of the sizes should be on it ? I would also suggest that you find a model club in your area before you undertake a big project and are unsure about anything.

3-cock water gauges allow you to test if it is working correctly and check and clear any blockages in the steam and water ports. If the glass breaks, you can turn off the water and steam to the glass. And replace a glass with the boiler still in steam.

A 6mm glass (or slightly smaller) should be OK. My engine has a 10" boiler and I use a 5/16" (8mm) glass.

3/8*" Blow down valve OK. Water is under pressure and you do not want to empty the boiler too quickly.

A clack valve is boiler slang for a check or one way valve and use on the water inlet to the boiler to prevent the back flow of water and steam. The valve stem inside the valve is normally mounted in a viertical direction and is closed by gravity. A spring is not normally used to close it. Stainless steel ball bearings are somtimes used instead of a stem to seal the valves on small models.

Most boilers have a sockets with a female thread, not male and should be steel for a steel boiler and bronze for a bronze boiler. (do not use brass on a bronze boiler because they can corode)

Injectors are a ventury type device that is used to fill the boiler with water, using steam from the boiler (do a Google search). Both injectors and a water pump have a check/clack valve between it and where it enters the boiler.

Good luck, Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 25/06/2020 05:47:34

Thread: UNF reducing bush
22/06/2020 14:12:37

Because of the thin wall section between the 2 threads, can you do someting like this ? Probably cannot buy a commercialy made adaptor and would have to make it yourself.

Paul.

thread adaptor 2.jpg

Thread: Myford motor pulley shake.
22/06/2020 00:45:18

Use a pulley that has a taper-lock bush if you want more accuracy with axial alignment.

Thread: Digital angle gauges
22/06/2020 00:39:04

I have one that came with my mill to set the drive head angle.. No name on the gauge but I am happy with it. Useful for most applications and probably accurate to 1/2 degree or so.

The battery has been in use for a couple of years and still working.

Like a spirit level, rotate the gauge by 180 degrees to check if it is working correctly and you should get the same reading but in the opposite direction.

Paul

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 14:04:52

Hot water and Steam will kill weeds and is environmentally safe and friendly

So it is time to fire up your engine or build a boiler and you will have an excelent excuse to tell your wife as to why you are doing it.

Paul

Thread: boring head and tools
20/06/2020 07:57:10

Cutters for a boring head don't have to be anything special, as long as the cutting faces are correct and there is a bit of relief behind it.

This one was made from a piece of HSS steel that I was using on my lathe. Just had to grind off the corners of the square cutter to fit into the hole on the boring head.

boring cutter.jpg

Then I made this adaptor from a piece of round bar that will take the standard 1/2" dia. boring bars that fit the boring head. This will bore a 150mm hole is not out of balance at a slow speed. (High range, slow setting on my RF-45 mill). ( I also use a LH boring bar with replacable inserts in the side hole)

boring head adaptor.jpg

Thread: Injector testing
19/06/2020 02:40:29

Attention The ME Administrators.

The injector test rig comes from an article by Bill Carter in ME Volume 141 would be of interest to a lot of readers who have an interest in model steam engines but the ME archives do not go back that far.

Is it possible to re publish this article.

Paul.

19/06/2020 02:27:50

"Could you use an injector to feed a flash boiler? i.e. connect a coil of pipe between the inlet and out let of the injector, fill with water and heat the coil? "

Hi Adrian,

From my little experience with flash steam boilers I think that an injector would not work for a number of reasons.

Injectors will not work if they get too hot and require a supply of cold water. Also very difficult to regulate the volume of water thru the injector as it changes with the supplied steam pressure.

Have a look on Youtube. Lots of explanations of how they work.

Paul.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest