By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lubrication
12/09/2019 04:31:11

Car accessory stores that sell engine oil also keep hydraulic oil.

Paul.

Thread: machine coolant pipe
09/09/2019 23:25:51

Lots available on ebay. Including some with a control valve and magnetic base

**LINK**

Thread: wire bender
09/09/2019 11:49:34

Special pliers for forming round ends on wire are called "Looping pliers" which are similar to round nose pliers but have parallel jaws of different diameters. Lots of difefrent ones on ebay. And these ones called One step looping pliers. Not sure where you get them

Paul

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Lousick on 09/09/2019 11:50:58

Thread: Metal Saw
08/09/2019 12:37:53

See prevouse posts about bandsaws

Paul

**LINK**

Thread: wire bender
08/09/2019 00:59:10

Duncan

Have not seen a cheap shop bought wire bender but lots of simple benders shown on Youtube.

Paul

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Cheapskate Sandblaster
06/09/2019 14:04:01

HEALTH WARNING

Sand should no longer be used for blast cleaning unless proper breathing aparatus is used, not just a mask. Sand contails silica and breathing it is bad for your health. Workers who breath in silica dust could develop chronbronchitis, emphysema or acute silicosis.

The latest health warnings in Australia are for stone masons and kitchen workers who cut and grind granite benchtops and breath in the dust. They have developed similar lung diseases like emphysema.

The wet blasters do not make as much dust while operation but when the slurry dries, fine dust is left on the ground. We had a full size engine blast cleaned outside of our club shed and although there was no dust while cleaning, when it dried the wind picked it up and blew it everywhere. Do the blasting on top of a plastic tarp and roll it up with the damp grit and dispose of it before it dries.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 06/09/2019 14:06:52

Thread: Building a 4" traction engine
05/09/2019 04:02:10

Hi Karl,

Make sure that you do lots of research on different engines before you commit. There is a lot of work and expense in building a larger model. Also check the physical size of the finished model. Not all 4" scale engines are the same size. It depends of how big the original engine was. My engine is a 6" Ruston Proctor SD but is a similar size to a 4" Fowler. (the original only weighed 3.5 ton.) Almost finished after 7 years work.

It is also good to join a model club and talk to their members about the pros and cons of their engines and where they purchased parts. Different part suppliers sell a different style of the same engine than others. Castings and drawings could be simplified and not have all of the features of the original full size engine. I purchase my drawings and castings from Live Steam Models and were excellent although the drawings did have a couple of small mistakes. I orderred all of the casting at the start of the project as it was a cheaper option. Other materials and tools bought as I needed them.

I live in Australia and our model clubs include indemnity insurance with your membership and the boiler is inspected free. The professional built and inspected option is much more expensive. It would operate at full boiler pressure instead of reduced pressure for models but is not required for a smaller engine.

Most drawings sold for model engines contain some mistakes. Some more than others as they seem to be drawn by drafters with little experience and are not thoroughly checked. Also check that the size of material shown on the drawing is available. Imperial size members may not be available and only in metric. (a set of model drawings only cost a couple of hundred dollars/pounds instead of thousands for professionally drawn. Ya get wot ya pay for)

Good luck, Paul

Thread: Cheapskate Sandblaster
05/09/2019 03:13:23

Thanks Rod,

Recently had some blasting done with a professional wet blaster using crushed glass which did an excellent job. I already have a cheap sandblaster that works with air but not 100% happy with it. But that price for a Karcher attachment I will have to get one.

Paul.

Thread: Mini mill or handtools for this job (rectangle with slots)
03/09/2019 23:16:43
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/09/2019 13:24:23:
Posted by Paul Lousick on 03/09/2019 10:25:57:

They are not precision machining jigs [ .... ]

My reading is that they are precision locating stops

MichaelG.

It depends on what you call "precision"

Woodworking precision = 1/32" or maybe 1/64", Metalworking precision = 1/1000"

Paul

03/09/2019 10:25:57

They are not precision machining jigs so why make them so complex ? They are used on a router/saw table and are located in drilled holes on a wooden top. The stepped slot is not necessary.

A simple slot in a piece of flat bar would be just as good and would not require the stepped location dowel/nut. It could be made from a piece of round bar with a tapped hole. The hand wheel could even be replaced with a standard bolt.

Paul.

clamp e.jpg

03/09/2019 03:32:30

Jim,

A mill would be the quickest and easiest method but not too hard to do it with hand tools.. Drill a series of holes (smaller than the width of the slot) and use a round file to cut between them. Then use a flat file to finish the slot to width. Or just a hole at either end of the slot, use a round file to make it big enough to insert a hack saw blade and saw down each side of the slot. Finish with a flat file.

Paul.

02/09/2019 23:05:34

Easily made with hand tools if a mill is not available. Any mill would do

Paul

Thread: Loctite minefield
01/09/2019 00:11:06

The selection of thread lock will also depend on the temperature of the horn blocks. If they are attached directly to the boiler you could assume that they would be at the same temperature.

Saturated steam at 100 psi has a temperature of 170 degrees C. Loctite 243 is guaranteed up to 180 degrees. (200 at slightly less retention) and can be dis assembled with normal tools. Check the steam pressure/temperature tables if you are operating at a different boiler pressure. If higher temperature, you may have to use one of the higher strength Loctites but they will be harder to dis-assemble.

Paul.

Thread: Grinding cup wheel help
31/08/2019 14:27:53

Agree that grinding dust is not good around a lathe but for a one-off application, Cover the ways to protect them and do a good clean afterwards. Similarly on the odd occasion where I use a tool post grinder.

Although I don't have the free hand grinding skills of an expert, I have successfully ground my own Acme cutters from HSS with a standard bench grinder by hand using a profile gauge to check the angle. Thread grinding gauges are inexpensive. Also use one to set the tool perpendicular to the lathe axis.

thread grinding gauge.jpg

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 31/08/2019 14:28:28

31/08/2019 09:16:54

Steve,

Did you see this previous post about grinding your own lathe cutters. The simple grinding jig published in Popular Mechanics and a wheel mounted on a lathe spindle would be slow but OK for a one-off project.

**LINK**

Paul.

Thread: bronze or brass
30/08/2019 14:34:47

Bronze should be used for all fittings that come in contact with heated boiler water because brass can corode and become brittle. (dezincification) Brass fittings can be used for the cold water and for the steam lines.

Bronze and gunmetal (a type of bronze) is normally a bit darker and redder than brass. Turning bronze produces long stringy swarf where brass tends to chip. Drill bits tend to dig in wnen drilling bronze.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 30/08/2019 14:35:43

Thread: Help milling an angle
28/08/2019 11:10:20

You have said that the 60 degree angle is not critical.

Mark out the shape on the plate and rough cut (slightly larger) with a thin blade in an angle grinder. Then clamp it on top of the mill table with a spacer under the plate and finish the edge of the plade with the side of the milling cutter (The side cutting surfaces of the cutter are not normally used as much as the end and and this is an oportunity to save it for an end milling operation )

Re-clamp the plate end finish the other edges.

Paul.

(PS. You have to type quickly on this site)

Edited By Paul Lousick on 28/08/2019 11:11:36

Thread: Grinding your own lathe cutters
27/08/2019 23:23:10

I recently found this article in a 1956 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine for a basic tool cutter grinding holder, used for sharpening tools on the lathe and written by Rodney B Wyatt.

Neil, any relation ?

Paul

popular_mechanics_03_1956_232 - cutter grinder.jpg

popular_mechanics_03_1956_233 - cutter grinder.jpg

Thread: Minnie traction engine build
26/08/2019 23:45:29

Bolting the hornplates to the boiler stays is common practice on model engines but it is not allowed in Australia for larger, steel boilers. Instead a separate mounting has to be added to the side of the boiler. Another requirement is that a 5mm tell tale hole has to be drilled axially in the end of the stays. These will leak if the stays within the water space of the boiler are coroded.

My 6" scale engine weighs 600kg and it is not good practice to place a shear load on the mounting bolts. Therfore the boiler on my engine rests on a ledge, welded to the bottom of the hornplates and the mounting bolts only take an axial load. I also do not like using threaded holes and all bolts have nuts which are easier to replace if a thread is damaged.

Paul.

hornplate mount.jpghornplate mounting.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 26/08/2019 23:46:40

Thread: Boiler testing pump - plans ?
24/08/2019 08:48:10

You will also need a pressure gauge. Not sure what your requirements are but for new boilers in Aust., we have to maintain 2 x the working pressure for a minimum of 20 minutes and 1.5 x WP for re-testing.

Slight leakage thru fittings is OK but not the boiler, as long as the pressure does not drop below the test pressure. (Keep pumping.)

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 24/08/2019 08:49:40

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest