By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cornish boiler
28/10/2020 09:33:20

Thanks for your replies.

I already have the Model Boilers and Boilermaking book but it only shows a simplified version of the boiler. I would like the boiler to be a true representation of the original.

Paul.

28/10/2020 05:19:19

Can anyone advise me where I can get detail drawings for a Cornish or Lancashire boiler ? I would like to build one with a 4" - 6" barrel but can scale one down from a larger size.

Paul.

Thread: Steam pump
26/10/2020 23:14:55

The pump shown does not have a shuttle valve to switch the steam from one end of the piston to the other, but a simple lever that operates a slide valve. The design is similar to the pump supplied from LSM for my Ruston Proctor traction engine.

01 lsm water pump.jpg

A lever, connected to the piston rod operates the slide valve to reverse the flow of steam from one side of the piston to the other. This works OK when the pump is running fast with no restriction on the water outlet but when pumping under pressure (topping up the boiler). and the pump is running slowly, there is not enough inertia to carry the slide valve past the mid point and open the opposite steam port and the pump stops.

Paul

Thread: Bending metal
21/10/2020 23:45:12

Bending to a specified length is probably the leaste accurate of the fabrication & machining processes.

The neutral axis for thin sheet metal is approximately in the middle of the sheet but for thicker plate moves closer to the inside edge of the bend. (depends on material properties of the bent part). An approximate position for the neutral axis for 20mm plate is about 1/3 of the distance from the inside edge. (Metal stretches more easily than it compresses)

If you are not accurately calculating the bend dimensions with a formula and the correct metal properties, do a test bend first. Material does not have to be very wide, just the same thickness and type.

Some of the better 3D CAD systems (I use Solidworks) have a sheet metal function that calculates the position of the bend line of the metal sheet in the flat position prior to bending.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 21/10/2020 23:49:10

Thread: Experiences with cordless drills
21/10/2020 23:22:49

One of my old cordless drills was a Bosch 14.1 volt but now have a Ryobi 18v drill which is much more powerful. Had it for more than 5 years with no problems. Gets used regularly every week. Also a Ryobi hammer drill, both of which have a 13mm chuck and enough torque to drill steel. Having 2 batteries is an advantage with cordless drills, charge one while using the other.

With Ryobi (and some other brands) you can purchase the drill, grinder, blower, etc separately, without a battery for half the price of a complete package and share the batteries that you already have.

Paul.

Thread: Mixed Metals
21/10/2020 22:57:09

Gunmetal is a variety of bronze and formerly used for making ordnance (guns).

Modern admiralty gunmetal is composed of 88 percent copper, 10 percent tin, and 2 percen zinc and is used for gears and bearings that are to be subjected to heavy loads and low speeds. It withstands atmospheric, steam, and seawater corrosion and is suitable for valves, pump parts, and steam fittings.

Thread: Stuart Twin Victoria: Advice & General Questions
20/10/2020 22:43:14

As mentioned, displacement lubricators will only work with steam. When running on air use an airline lubricator available from hardware and compressed air accessory suppliers.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 20/10/2020 22:49:59

Thread: Evolution rage2
19/10/2020 09:29:46

Their not that big. Mine sits on top of a milk crate and can be picked up with one hand and stored away.

Paul.

19/10/2020 02:40:54

Instead of a chop saw get a small bandsaw. Much better, light weight, less mess and quieter. Do a search here on MEW, lots of articles posted.

Paul.

bandsaw 2.jpg

Thread: Copper tube for boiler
18/10/2020 09:46:43

Hi Sam,

You have said that you do not intend to get any test certs. Why not build it to a code and approved design ? You may want to display it in public or at a club in the future. Or to family and friends.

A 12" long x 4" dia boiler operating at 45psi is a dangerous toy. It contains approx.2 litres of water at 135 deg C which could cause serious injury if something goes wrong.

Paul.

Thread: Oil starvation
17/10/2020 21:51:09

Does the level of oil in the lubricator get lower when operating. This would indicate that it is working against steam pressure (unless there is a leak somewhere). Squeak on only one cylinder could indicate a blocked supply line but you said that it is on both cylinders ?. Can you increase the volume of oil from the lubricator ?

Paul

Thread: Putting some grip (stippling) on an aluminium drive pulley.
17/10/2020 06:09:04

Use the technique for cutting a worm wheel with a thread tap.

**LINK**

Paul

worm wheel.jpg

Thread: Sieg SX3 chuck guard
16/10/2020 12:17:51

Same as Simon " I removed the guard on my SX3 on day one " Can't remember doing anything else. Just left the switch in the guard closed position.

Paul.

Thread: Square block with round steel balls inside
16/10/2020 09:22:48

I have not seen balls machined in a square box but this is a Youtube link to a Turners Cube, cubes turned inside of cubes

**LINK**

turners cube.jpg

Thread: Advice on Collets
16/10/2020 07:32:16

My lathe and mill both have MT3 spindles and I use an ER collet adaptor for most of my milling operations. Not so much on the lathe but they are much more accurate and smaller than my 3 jaw chuck. (use 4-jaw for precision jobs)

Also very handy to take the collet with job from the lathe and mount in my rotary table which also has a MT3 taper. (Had to purchase a second MT3-ER adaptor to hold the cutters)

I originally purchase the collet adaptor with a minimum set of collet sizes and buy extra sizes as needed.

Paul.

Thread: 18g Nail Gun Pins for Lock Keys
15/10/2020 12:51:10

Hi Martin,

As far as I know, the wire gauge used in UK and Austraila is SWG. (As listed in this page from Wikipedia)

British Standard Wire Gauge is a set of wire sizes given by BS 3737:1964 (now withdrawn), and is generally abbreviated to SWG. It is also known as: Imperial Wire Gauge or British Standard Gauge. Use of SWG sizes has fallen greatly in popularity, but is still used as a measure of thickness in guitar strings and some electrical wire. Cross sectional area in square millimetres is now the more usual size measurement for wires used in electrical installation cables. The current British Standard for metallic materials such as wire and sheet is BS 6722:1986, which is a solely metric standard.

Read more at **LINK**

Not sure, but like lots of things, different standards are used in USA.

Paul.

15/10/2020 09:57:41

18 Swg = 1.219mm and 16 Swg = 1.626mm (too big)

Small quantities of nails from the hardware store are available in 1.25mm and 1.4mm diameter. Would some of these work ?

MIG welding wire is available in 18g. Try a local fabrication shop which will probably give you a metre or 2.

Paul

Thread: Enlarging Holes in Thin Aluminium
14/10/2020 04:14:56

Martin, Is the rc reamer that you refer to the same as this ? They are not only used for rc models but used in general industry.

Avilable from Rc Components, ebay and local hardware stores.

Paul.

taper hand reamer.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 14/10/2020 04:16:44

13/10/2020 22:27:53

"There are tapered reamers specifically for enlarging holes in electrical panels. You could try someone like RS Components. That sounds like an option - are they likely to grab the metal, or do you just turn them slowly by hand?"

I recently purchased one from RS components at a reasonable price. (they have a couple of diferent sizes, depending on hole size) And yes, they are designed to be turned my hand.

Paul

Thread: What is a Good Second Steam Engine Model to Build?
12/10/2020 09:52:30

As well as bolting together plates as a substitute for castings, they can be silver soldered if made from steel or brass (and cast iron).

Also have a look at the early editions om ME. There are a number of different engines to build and a free set of detail drawings.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 12/10/2020 09:53:29

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest