By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Accessing Digital Issues
18/07/2019 04:26:21

I use Firefox on Windows 7 and can access the MEW archives. It did prompt me to update Adobe Flash but I clicked on the "-" icon to not update and it opened in my old Flash.

I do not like the way Adobe prompts you every month or so to update their software and normally ignore the message. There are also scam programs that use Flase updates to install viruses on your computer so check first where the message originates.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 18/07/2019 04:27:04

Thread: A few newbie questions, sorry
16/07/2019 10:42:36

Hi Mark,

I am not a Myford expert but if one of your oilers is always full could mean that you have very good oil seals or the port to the bearings is blocked. If it is blocked there would be no oil getting to the bearings.

Paul

Thread: Barrier Cream
16/07/2019 10:33:58

Jim,

Bought Gloves in a Bottle from Repco, (the car spare parts supplier). Should be one near you somewhere.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 16/07/2019 10:34:25

16/07/2019 07:45:57

Let me know what you think of the product

16/07/2019 04:47:20

Jim,

My hands are in oil & grease, etc every day and I have to wash often which leaves my hands dry and cracked therefore use barrier creams and moisturisers. Our chemists in Oz sell a great moisturiser called "Tough Hands" and is advertised as used by brick layers and concrete workers. It is very thick, dries quickly and is not greasy. One of the best barrier creams which I have used is sold by Repco automotive and called "Gloves in a Bottle". Not cheap but you only need a few drops. Advertising blurb says you can even put your hand in acid after applying. Have not tried this, but great for everything else.

Paul

Thread: Different ways of boring a hole
14/07/2019 23:35:34

An interesting definition of DRILL and BORE (a hole)

In machining we refer to boring as an operation to enlarge an existing hole on a lathe with a boring bar or on a mill with a boring head, and drilling as using a bit (twist drill, etc) to cut a new hole. But in early days we used a brace and bit to bore a hole. Not to enlarge a hole but to make it in the first place.

We bore a hole in the ground to to get underground water with a drill. A single operation where the hole is not enlarged with another cutter. (Then a pipe inserted in the hole to extract the water.) On an oil rig, a hole is drilled in a similar operation to get oil.

What is your experience with the definition,

Paul.

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
14/07/2019 07:41:41

Sam,

I only had a home builders certificate and had to comply with the council inspectors request, otherwise they would not approve the completion of our house. Sometimes you have to do as they say and keep quiet. Fortunately I knew of a surveyor who lived nearby who did the job at a fair price.

Yes, the laser is a cheap and nasty piece of equipment but if used to its level of precision (pardon the pun) can be useful. I have also used it to set the heights for the boundary fences. Better that a string line which sags in the middle. One of its main faults is that it is hard to see the laser dot in bright light. OK on a white background if shaded from the sun.

Paul

11/07/2019 23:18:46

Its a laser pointer with a bubble level and not a precision instrument if you only rely on the bubble.

I used one to determine the levels for the storm water drainage piping around my house and because it was on fairly flat land, could only achieve a fall of 1 in 100. Prior to using the laser, I used a length of clear plastic tube, filled with water to mark datum points at several positions around my house and used these points as targets for aligning the laser. Then I could swing the laser between the datum points and measure the depth to the trench for the water pipe.

After the pipes were installed, a council building inspector told me it had to be checked by a certified surveyor. Luckily the cheap laser level and water filled tube did their job and the project was passed.

Paul.

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
06/07/2019 03:01:20

Solidworks is only one of the professional CAD packages and most of them only include training tutorials if you pay for a licenced copy. The standard version costs $3995 with an annual maintenance fee of $1295. If you find a cheap or free tutorial, it is probably a pirate copy.

When I first started using Solidworks as a design draftsman, I was sent on a 1 week training course to learn the basics and later for another week to master the advanced features. Luckily work paid for the course.

Solidworks is not the only industry standard software. Inventor has been on par with it, as well as CATIA, Microstation and more. I started with Autocad 2D then ProEngineer then Solidworks. The best choice of CAD software depend on what type of industry you are in. I worked in mechanical engineering design and Solidworks was the best choice at the time. Since I hace spent many years using it, it is my preference now because I know how to use it.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 06/07/2019 03:02:31

Thread: Bleed valve
05/07/2019 14:00:39

Jason,

The one on our Fowler TE is like a tee with built in needle valve. I could design my own, just asking if anyone has an existing design first.

Paul

05/07/2019 11:37:52

Thanks Nigel,

We have bleed valves on the lubricator on some of our full size engines which I operate and find that it is convenient for checking pump operation without having to break the supply line. Plus its another feature to add to the model.

Paul.

05/07/2019 08:35:37

I have completed the manufacture of a lubricator for my traction engine and would like to add an in line bleed valve to the oil feed pipe. Very handy for removing air from and for checking if the pump is working.

Does anyone have a drawing to suit a 1/8" OD tube ?

Paul.lubricator.jpg

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
04/07/2019 23:10:08

Lots of videos and tutorials on Youtube for Solidworks

Thread: Injector help
04/07/2019 03:44:42

Injector is a LSM No 7 injector rated at 5 pints/minute.

Paul

03/07/2019 07:51:01

On LSM injectors all ports have a flat type adaptor fitting where the tube is soldered to the fitting. Photo of injector with 5/16" tube fittings shown below.

Note: They are advertised as used with 5/16" pipe which is technically incorrect because pipe is specified by a nominal bore and not its outside diameter. Tube is specified by its OD and these injector adaptors have a 5/16" bore. (Sorry about the rave)

Paul

injector.jpg

Thread: Screw thread identification
29/06/2019 06:55:27

Thanks Colin.

My BSB thread chart does not list a 9/16" thread but BSC does and it appears to to be similar. I have a 1/2" BSB tap and the thread profile matches.

Cheers, Paul.

29/06/2019 04:45:55

I have a 5/16" (8mm) steam injector, purchased from LSM and would like to replace one of the pipe nuts with a different fitting but cannot identify the thread .

The thread has a max diameter of 14.15mm and a pitch of 1mm. (is this a custom made thtead ???)

Paul.

injector.jpg

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
28/06/2019 14:16:16

My garage is just that "a workshop" not a showroom. Otherwise nothing would be built. I do clean swarf regularly from working surfaces of mill and lathe and lubricate.

Paul.

Thread: model engineer digital version
26/06/2019 05:55:17

Its posted in Pocketmags and I would expect it to also be posted here. ????

Paul.

Thread: Drawing for a miniature quarter turn valve
24/06/2019 07:39:04

Globe valves and ball valves can also be used for controlling steam supply to injectors. If you need a flanged type valve, a commercially available valve could be modified by screwing or silver soldering onto a flange.

Paul.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest