By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Simple Tool Grinder
12/08/2020 11:48:20

Has anyone built the Simple Tool Grinder shoiwn in the February, 2014 edition of MEW ?

It looks like a handy tool to have if you don't have a proper tool and cutter grinder. Some parts have good detail drawings but others have an outline drawing but are missing critical dimensions. The text does say that it can be modified to use available materials but without suggested dimensions or better assembly instructions it is hard to piece together.

I have done a search on MEW for posts about this project but could not find any.

Paul

Thread: 6" Stainless Steel Pipe
12/08/2020 11:27:55

Pipe is specified by nominal bore, not the outside diameter and the wall thickness specified by a schedule. (Sch 40 is the size used for standard water supply)

6" Sch 40 pipe = 6.625" OD with a wall thickness 0.28". (other schedules available but not as common and more expensive).

Tube is specified my its OD but I can only find 6" OD with a 1/8" wall thickness.

Best option would be to get a piece cut from plate.

Paul.

Thread: Dressing a diamong grinding wheel
12/08/2020 06:40:38

An interesting Youtube video of how to dress a diamond grinding wheel

**LINK**

Thread: Rotary Table Choice 36:1 o 90:1
11/08/2020 23:31:35

Your choice of 36:1 or 90:1 will depend on the type of work that you intend to do.

The 36:1 model would probably have bigger, stronger teeth and more suited for machining while rotating the table while the 90:1 model will be more accurate but will have smaller, weaker teeth. No problem if locked in stationary position but not as good while rotating.

Many of the smaller RT's have a worm wheel which can be easily damaged. As I found out the hard way. (this was an expensive Japanese made RT, not one of the cheaper ones)

Paul.

rotary table gear.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 11/08/2020 23:40:47

Thread: Warning with subscribing to Pocketmags
11/08/2020 10:04:21

Thanks Jason

11/08/2020 07:40:34

Pocketmags has been advised as the prefered way to view digital subscriptions to ME and MEW as the viewing software is better than that used in MEW.

I subscribe to the digital version of MEW and was sent a reminder that it was due for renewal. I was also sent an offer to subscribe thru Pocketmags which was much cheaper, so took up their offer to save money.

I assumed that MEW and Pocketmags were linked. (subscribe to MEW and you get access to Pocketmags), but it appears that it does not work the other way.

Not a problem as the viewer is better on Pocketmags. BUT they only have copies of magazines back to 2016 and I wanted to see an article for a Simple Tool Grinder which was published in 2014. Luckily, I still have 2 days remaining in MEW and was able to print the article.

Paul.

Thread: Tapping Mode on Mill
11/08/2020 07:22:25

I originaly had an SX3 with the tapping feature and only used it on thin materials with a thru hole. Not on blind holes as too easy to bottom out and snap a tap and not on thick material.. Much prefer to do it by hand where you can feel any resistance and back off after half a turn to break the swarf. The reverse function on the mill is not that quick and will do a couple of revolutions before reversing.

Paul

Thread: Facing bar ends parallel on the lathe.
10/08/2020 00:15:32

" a weird contrivance bolted to it"

Hard to tell without a photo but could be a Keats angle plate for holding round parts on a faceplate.

Paul

Thread: Merryweather Fire King
06/08/2020 04:12:45

Hi Bob,

Don't give uo Bob, we all have done something similar. And one of the reasons that I modelling everything in 3D CAD, allowing me to check the compatability with mating parts.

It looks like there is still more work to do before it is finished so I would start again. Making a second set is often quicker than the first and you will feel better when the model is complete.

Look on the bright side. You get to enjoy more of your hobby. smiley

Paul

Thread: Painting on old galvanize
04/08/2020 14:04:33

An etch primer is usually used on galvanized steel. Check with the makers instructions because some also require a normal primer over the etch prior to adding a top coat.

The surface must be completely cleaned of any previous paint because it contains an acid which reacts with the metal. It will not adhere to paint, fillers, etc.

2 part epoxy paint also requires priming first but if using, full PPE should be used as it is poisonous if inhaled.

Paul.

Thread: Small Tap Holder
04/08/2020 12:51:20

Threading under power is handy but a sure way to break standard taps. Especially small ones. The one shown is cutting an M 1.4mm thread.

Paul.

04/08/2020 12:20:27

I use an Eclipse pin chuck for drilling small holes and tapping. It has collets which hold drills from 0.75mm - 2.5mm.

The collets have 4 jaws and suited for holding the square end of small thread taps. A hole thru the base is used for a torque bar when tapping threads. Drill chuck loosened and used to guide tap.

Paul.

eclipse pin chuck.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 04/08/2020 12:29:29

Thread: What's this ebay thingy?
04/08/2020 00:37:49

Holder for a tool and cutter grinder. Possibly for use on a standard bench grinder or for making D-bit cutters. (I want one)

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 04/08/2020 00:40:06

Thread: Melting bronze
02/08/2020 23:36:08

If the bronze does stick to the steel crucible, it will only be a thin coating. The rest of the molten bronze will pour out unless you allow it to solidify. The bronze lining will prevent the steel from rusting and be clean for the next melt.

Paul.

Thread: Using a Graver
02/08/2020 23:27:52

An option is to make/buy a tool like the "Turnado" made by Eccentric Engineering. (advertised here on MEW)

Paul

turnado.jpg

**LINK**

Thread: Can a small lathe handle a tail stock die holder?
02/08/2020 02:47:18

Use a sliding die holder in the tailstock especially on small threads in soft material that are too weak to pull the tailstock along. If the die does not travel with the cut it will just remove all of the metal down to the minor thread diameter and ruin hours of work. (don't ask how I know and what I said)

If the lathe is strugling to turn, do it manually by locking the chuck and turning the die holder by hand, backing off regularly to break the swarf.

Paul.

sliding die holder.jpg

Thread: What lathe tool for deburring holes?
01/08/2020 23:54:38

I use a deburring tool , similar to the Noga listed previously. Inexpensive from the hardware shop. It comes with spare blades and can be used by hand for any drilled hole and inside edge of cut pipe.

Paul.

de burr.jpg

Thread: World's Biggest Tractor in 1915 -- Aussie ingenuity at its best
01/08/2020 04:45:00

Clearing land of trees with tractors and chains does work but too much has been done. We need to grow trees, not pull them down if we are to keep our native animals and fix the global warming problem.

Paul.

**LINK**

Thread: Turning wheels to the standard
31/07/2020 23:22:01

Deleted

Edited By Paul Lousick on 31/07/2020 23:23:15

Thread: cutting upholstery foam
31/07/2020 14:28:03

Much easier to buy new foam than build a hot wire cutter for a one off project. There are cheap ones for same on ebay but they cut less that 3-4" thickness, not 24".

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 31/07/2020 14:32:03

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest