By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting a worm?
21/05/2019 02:00:04

Graham,

Without knowing exactly what you are planning to do, we are limited with making relevent suggestions and a woodwork lathe will be of limited use for making mechanical parts.

"The two gears at the left cause the leadscrews to turn in opposite directions at slightly different rates, in turn causing the pinion to move along, slowly but powerfully". Instead of this arrangement, only use 1 screw with a nut and and a set of reduction gears (or pulleys and belt) to reduce the speed from the motor. This will also increase the torque applied to the screw. Small gearmotors with a built in reduction gearbox are available which could be coupled directly to the screw. (possibly a car windscreen wiper motor ?)

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 21/05/2019 02:07:01

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
20/05/2019 23:32:13

The pump drawing does not show a stuffing box or seal on the piston. Won't it leak when under pressure ?

Paul.

19/05/2019 23:42:36

An assembly drawing of the complete pump would be useful.

Could the pump be made with just one casting and a cover plate made to seal the flanged end of the first casting where the 6 threaded holes are instead of butchering the second casting ?

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 19/05/2019 23:44:47

Thread: Cutting a worm?
19/05/2019 23:29:24

Graham,

I have not seen dies for cutting worm profiles, only for the standard triangular/square/Acme type theads. You have said that you only have a woodwork lathe, so I assume that the worm will be made from wood. (a photo / drawing / or description of what you intend to do would help).

Threaded bar stock is available in triangular & square thread profile.

Normal bolt thtrads can be used to drive a worm wheel but the thread on it should match that of the worm. A thread tap can be used to do this.

Paul.

worm wheel.jpg

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Lousick on 19/05/2019 23:30:50

Thread: Parting off query
16/05/2019 23:13:20

This is a good video on Youtube by Joe Pieczynski about parting tools.

Paul.

**LINK**

Thread: Door knob collar
16/05/2019 10:15:15

Mick,

Making special tools (form, ball turning, CNC, casting, etc) seems to be a lot of work for only 4 plates. Turn the middle and the outer edge of the plate and do the curved section by hand by adjusting both the X and Y direction of the cutter at the same time. It does not have to be precision work and you can smooth up any discrepencies with emery paper. Use a cutter with large radius tip for the free hand work. Cut a profile from cardboard to check the shape of the curve. Then part off the plate from the stock bar.

Paul.

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 09:35:14

Robin,

You said that you wanted to counterbored M10 clearance holes in a slab of CI but no specific details. Often castings have a hard outer layer which is difficult to machine and you have to get under this to do any good machining. Some CI is a dream to machine, others are a real B##*&%%$!!!!.

Paul.

Thread: Technique for turning 3mm diameter valve spindle
15/05/2019 07:16:05

Just turned on my computer after spending the afternoon making valve spindles.

These are for 6mm globe valves and made from 316 stainless. The round bar was held in a collet chuck (more accurate than my 3-jaw) with only a small amount protruding from the chuck to prevent any bending. Each section turned to size and the spindle extended a bit further in the chuck to do the next section.  The small end then threaded M3 and the larger M5.  The spindle then cut from the bar stock.  I then changed collets and held the spindle by the M5 thread to finish turning the head end.

Paul.

valve spindle.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 15/05/2019 07:26:25

Thread: Vanco linisher
13/05/2019 23:40:26

Check that the belts are running in the correct direction. If running in the reverse direction the work piece can catch the edge of the belt at the join and peel it off.

Paul.

Thread: Cutting steel to size
13/05/2019 23:33:39

I also endorse the above statements that the steel sparks will weld themselves to glass dry grass and start a fire, don’t ask how I found out.

Paul.

Thread: Downloadable issues
11/05/2019 11:23:30

As far as I know, you need Windows 10 to use the Pocketmags app. I use Win 7 ##**&^%%%%% !!!!!!

Thread: Steel boiler storage.
10/05/2019 23:57:19

Members of our club store full size and model engines either completely full with water containing a good dose of treatment or completely dry. (damage by the water freezing is not a problem here in Oz).

Dry storing should be done after a blowdown when the engine is still hot. Remove the manholes and mud bungs and use wicks or syphon to remove ary remaining water. The remaining heat should evaporate any moisture in the boiler.

I was taught about puting a lighted candle inthe boiler and sealing it to remove oxygen but do not know of anyone who does it this way.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/05/2019 23:58:08

Thread: Cutting steel to size
10/05/2019 09:05:22

Cut bar with an angle grinder with a 1mm grinding blade then finish to length in the lathe. Drop saw type attachements are available for mounting the angle grinder if you do not want to hold it by hand or make one. Lots of examples on Youtube.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/05/2019 09:06:12

Thread: Honing motor cycle small ends
10/05/2019 08:58:57

A hone for lapping car brake cylinders would be better than using emery paper. Available from car accessory and parts outlets.

Paul.

Thread: How many members are model & toy steam 'nuts' :)
09/05/2019 23:36:35

Guilty,

I caught "steamitis" when I was a boy and was never cured of the disease. But it is not contagious. My wife has never caught it from me.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 09/05/2019 23:38:33

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
08/05/2019 00:14:55

Print a complete issue in Pocketmags.

I use PDF Architect (free version). It prints to memory and then asks for a file name for saving but allows you to continue printing and merge all of the prints into one file name.

With Pocketmags, I can continue printing the magazines, 2 pages at a time and then merge them all into a complete volume when I save to file. Not as simple as printing all pages at a time.

Paul.

Thread: Oversize ER collets
06/05/2019 07:31:11

Correction,

Why not hold the leadscrew in a 4-jaw chuck ?

Paul.

Thread: Turning Cast Iron question - Health & Cleaning Up
06/05/2019 07:25:30

I have a machinist friend who hates turning cast iron as he is alergic to the dust. Care must also be taken if using a vacuum clenber (AKA Hoover) as the dust is electrically conductive and can short out the motor.

Paul.

Thread: Oversize ER collets
06/05/2019 01:43:08

Why hold the leadscrew in a 4-jaw chuck ?

Paul.

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
05/05/2019 10:54:22

I have machined a keyway in the base of my vice. (Key does not have to be a perfect fit with the slots in the mill table). Just apply pressure against one side of the slot as you tighten the hold down bolts. This is quick and accurate enough for 99% of the machining jobs, as long as the slot is true to the table slide.

Paul.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest