By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: valve gear simulators
19/11/2019 11:10:47

This is a link to DON ASHTON'S STEAM LOCOMOTIVE VALVE GEARS.

which has links to simulators including one on Excel format. You will need a program that reads MS Excel files.

**LINK**

19/11/2019 08:37:45

I'm not a Mac user but can't a Mack simulate a PC and run PC programs, even at a reduced efficiency ?

19/11/2019 01:06:50

I don't know of a Stephenson's simulator for a computer but modelled my engine in 3D CAD and can manipulate the model to check any scenario. I can raise/lower the Stephenson's link, rotate the crankshaft to any angle and check slide valve position.

Paul.

Thread: Introduction
17/11/2019 09:10:43

Welcome Hoss, from Sydney, Australia. Lots of helpful members on this site from all over the world.

Paul.

Thread: 3 phase motor
17/11/2019 09:05:33

You are replacing a 1 hp motor with one that is 3/4 hp, which as stated should be OK for anything except heavy cutting. But as you slow the motor speed down with the VFD, the power/torque of the motor will also reduce.

Paul.

Thread: Fusible plugs for model loco boilers
17/11/2019 05:38:24

Similar in Australia. Fusible plug body should not be less than 1/4" BSP.

Paul.

16/11/2019 00:50:36

Our code in Australia for model boilers over 4" diameter with a design pressure over 250kps (36psi) states that it should be fitted with a fusible plug. The plug should be filled with tin, not lead or solder as it has a lower melting point. A fusible plug is not only a safety feature to prevent a possible explosion but will help to prevent a costly repair in case the water gets too low.

Paul.

Thread: Traction Talk Forum
14/11/2019 03:12:35

I tried logging into TT earlier today and got the same warning message. Clicked onto the button to continue and could get in. There were no mention of a log in problem on the discussion posts.

I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser and it has been prompting me to upgrade to the latest version but have been puttinig it off for a couple of weeks. Did the upgrade and found that I could get into TT without any warning message. Not sure if TT have fixed the problem or a coincidence, but it works as normal. (keeping my finger crossed for the future).

Paul.

13/11/2019 09:31:02

I was on TT earlier today and did not have a problem but lloks like something is wrong now. A similar thing happened earlier this year.

Paul

Thread: piston rings
09/11/2019 11:11:40

Is there a misprint in the original question for "a 1/2 size barn engine". Should it have been a beam engine instead.

In which case it is a steam engine and not an IC engine. Rubber O-rings are used in model steam engines but I am not sure of suitable size and material.

Paul.

Thread: 2-4-6 block woes
07/11/2019 22:41:33

If you do not have an accurate square and have access to a lathe, you could make a cylindrical square

Paul

Thread: Reaming - depth of cut
05/11/2019 06:03:53

I only have a standard set of drills and for 12mm reamer use a 11.5mm drill (20 thou = 0.508mm) which will produce a hole slightly bigger 11.5mm.

Paul

Thread: injectors
05/11/2019 00:44:54

There are also lifting injectors which suck the water vertically and do not need a valve in the water supply. I have used them on full size engines but have not seen them used on models. Probably because of the higher steam pressures used in full size engines.

Paul.

Thread: Adding cladding for a large boilered Tich ... is it worth the effort?
04/11/2019 21:55:35

Automotive stores sell high temperature paint in spray cans which is not expensive.

Only available in black (possibly white), a bit like the colours available in Henry Ford's model T cars when they were first introduced. The label on the can says that it resists heat up to 650 deg C and suitable for painting exhaust manifolds and mufflers. I used it to paint the steam chest and chimney on my traction engine.

Paul.

Thread: Sourcing an elusive Rubber-Ring!
02/11/2019 04:46:42

Andre.

Rings with a square or rectangular section are normally called "washers". A quick search found this site but not in the size that you require. **LINK**

Try searching under rectangular section rubber washers, or similar description.

Paul

Thread: Polishing Acetal/Delrin and other plastics
01/11/2019 21:59:33

Toothpaste is a fine abrasive and often suggested for cleaning and polishing the outer glass on car head lights.

Paul.

Thread: Additives to kerosene for degreasing?
30/10/2019 22:00:41

Automotive and industrial hardware suppliers sell truck (lorry) wash detergents for cleaning engines, etc. Available in larger containers and water soluble.

Paul.

Thread: Milling Machines - Myford vs Sieg
30/10/2019 21:52:33

Mike,

I used the normal button to stop the motor. I am not an electronics expert but did a basic check of connections, switches, etc. but could not repair the controller. The mill was also fitted with a power feed on the table which also failed. This was caused by oil & coolant getting into the limit switches and was fixed.

Paul.

Thread: Traction talk forum
29/10/2019 23:51:07

Traction Talk works for me. Try entering the address into your browser. Or try a different browser.

Paul.

https://www.tractiontalkforum.com

Traction Talk Link

Thread: Milling Machines - Myford vs Sieg
29/10/2019 21:51:02

I used to have a Sieg SX3 and it was a great mill and did a lot of heavy work. The variable speed was very handy but it did not have a lot of low end torque. The electronic speed control did fail and had to be replaced. (not cheap). The column did flex slightly under heavy loads.

I now have an RF-45 mill. A bit bigger and more rigid. It has a geared head for changing speed.

Paul.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest