By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Barron

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Barron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Installation of a Myford (or any machine tool)
06/11/2019 09:51:19

I use the self leveling machine mounts for my S7 and Wabeco miller as I didn't want to drill through the floor. They work and don't seem to affect the stability of the machines.

Thread: Bending Rolls
07/09/2019 16:12:59

I've just finished making a set of bending rolls from the Hemingway kit and thought I'd share a few photos. It's the first project I've completed as I need a way to bend the smokebox tube for the 2 1/2" gauge 9F I'm making:-

img_0656.jpg

img_0661.jpg

img_0663.jpg

Thread: Machine tool suppliers
15/03/2019 08:51:29

I Suggest you try these two:-

Quillstar

http://www.quillstar.co.uk/

Home and Workshop Machinery

http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/

Regards,

Mark.

Thread: Wheels to Axles - locomotives
14/08/2018 10:18:45

I'd suggest using Loctite 638 (other retaining compounds are available).

Mark.

Thread: Blue chips
30/07/2018 12:40:04

I use an App - Guhring Optimising to calculate required cutter RPM. It's directed toward production machine tools, and for milling only gives options for HSCO and Carbide cutters, but it does speed-up calculating the RPM and is well designed.

Mark.

Thread: Children's safety in the workshop.
06/07/2018 13:57:37

I introduced my son to the workshop when he was 11. I bought Bolle overspecs from Screwfix - the sell small and large versions that fit close to the forehead and work very well.

Thread: Cost effective way for manufacturing a small plastic part
30/03/2017 12:17:00

Sorry, for 2000pcs, not 200 pcs.

30/03/2017 12:16:08

For 200 pcs, I would suggest a low-volume injection mould tool. Maybe give this company a call:-

http://www.manumolding.co.uk/

An aluminium tool would suffice and should be cheaper than steel.

Thanks,

Mark.

Thread: Source of SK30 Arbours
15/02/2017 12:22:53

Hi Joe,

I use Bison for all my milling machine toolholders (ISO 30) - good quality for a reasonable price.

They're made in Poland. I've just checked their website and they have distributors in South Africa.

www.bison-bial.com

Thanks,

Mark.

Thread: Working with gauge plate.
14/02/2017 12:20:33

My experience of using ground flat stock is wholly positive. As mentioned, ensure your tools are sharp and take extra care drilling your Ø1mm holes.

Thread: O Rings
02/09/2016 14:00:16

Hello Clive,

I made a quick check during my lunch half hour and I reckon that the following part numbers will work for your application: 50-333 or 50-332 (both in the James Walker website catalogue). These can be sourced on line (Simply Bearings, et al) or at a local outlet - BSL, etc.

You will need to use lubricant during assembly.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thread: Diesel injector fuel lines
16/06/2016 15:41:20

As a designer of diesel engine fuel systems I strongly recommend you do not make these fuel lines yourself.

Either buy the OEM part or visit a professional outfit who'll make up the hose to your requirement.

Mark.

Thread: Best Apps and Software for the Workshop?
14/06/2016 12:24:55

I can recommend the Guhring Optimising speed/feed calculator app for iOS (iPhone/ iPad). Saves a lot of mental calculation.

Mark.

Thread: Injection moulding and ISO tolerances
28/04/2016 10:41:47

Mark,

It's quite common to have at least 2 design iterations before the part design is approved for tool manufacture - common issues are injection gate location, parting line position(s) and under-cuts. With this in mind, mould flow software is now used by the part designer to try and reduce the iterations at the toolmaker.

John,

The standard ISO tolerances are not so good for moulded part design. I use the DIN 16901 tolerance system as it is specifically for moulded parts.

Mark.

27/04/2016 12:29:57

For injection moulded plastics, you'll struggle to use the standard ISO tolerances. I'd suggest using DIN 16 901 tolerances as these take into account the mould tool construction and moulding material.

Note that the the post-moulding shrinkage is covered in the tolerance.

Mark.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest