By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ed Duffner

Here is a list of all the postings Ed Duffner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Windows for the scrap bin?
18/03/2021 18:58:27

I spent an hour this morning looking at why the latest (March 2021) Windows 10 update causes our PC's at work to flash when the start button menu is selected.

Eventually figured out that transparency in the display settings was the culprit. Disabling it has restored the PC's to a usable state and they're even a little faster in use, as would be expected.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 18/03/2021 18:58:49

Thread: mitre saw use for roughing out/ vertical milling mild steel?
07/03/2021 23:44:46

I think it would be handy to know what material Jon is trying to cut and which type of cut he is thinking of using to rough it out. A sketch maybe.

The way I'm reading it is, the 4mm slot in mild steel was a description of the capability or lack of, of his milling machine.

If the material in question is aluminium for example, there are aluminium blades made for mitre saws, but great care would have to be taken making cuts in solid stock. Personally I wouldn't attempt that.

Bulk material can be removed by chain drilling and/or a hacksaw, or a roughing cutter, or a fly cutter if it's a face. It just takes longer on a small machine like many of us have.

Ed.

Thread: Sourcing Cable Glands of a specific type
25/02/2021 19:09:14

They look similar to FP200 cable glands, but the glands we used had a 20mm thread.

I believe they are commonly called Stuffing Glands. There are a few here at CEF

Ed.

FP200 was (is) a substitute for MICC "Pyro" fire resistant cable.

Thread: De Walt 240V Portable Band Saw in UK?
20/02/2021 14:19:38

Martin, I believe there are different warranty agreements for different countries/regions and some spares are available in some countries, not others. Some locations have different electrical legislation and parts requirements.

If a part is required later in the life of the tool, you may need to import that too. Before parting with your money it might be an idea to contact Dewalt and ask them. They are part of the Stanley/Bostitch group and have a useful website 2helpu.com.

I know Makita make these tools but we have not had one in our shop for repair yet. We are a warranty agent for Makita but not Dewalt.

Ed.

Sorry Bryan, I'm usually spot-on with with their or there, I do know the difference and it's one of my annoyances too. smiley ...by the way, you are supposed to end a sentence with a full stop. devil Let's leave it there and move on, shall we?

20/02/2021 12:15:12

Hi Martin,

Did you mean the DWM120K? ...the DW120K is a right-angle drill kit and has been discontinued.

Repairing and servicing power tools is my day-job and if I were to buy a new tool I would also research the cost and availability of spares and see what the company offer in the way of warranty.

Sometimes a new electronic speed controller or armature for a motor is more expensive to buy and have fitted than buying a new tool.

Dewalt also tend to obsolete spare parts for there machines at a surprisingly high rate in my humble opinion. They are good tools though, if somewhat over-engineered.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 20/02/2021 12:15:26

Thread: Radio Interference
15/02/2021 18:54:53

At work we have a DAB radio (Planet Rock at the moment), when I put a tool battery in the Hitachi charger it pulses interference into the radio and the sound is cut off during each pulse.

Ed.

Thread: Mill mechanical Slideway Swarf covers
16/01/2021 16:30:18

An effective solution and probably easy to clean. yes

I have been trying to think of a way to add the type of cover they have on large CNC machines. The multi-sheet telescopic type that remain flat.

As a temporary measure I have installed a high temperature barbecue grill mat (from amazon) cut to size. It does need to be managed occasionally but it keeps the swarf off the ways.

Ed.

Thread: A white xmas
29/12/2020 11:33:23

Lovely and sunny here in Bristol but too cold to venture into the shed. Talking of defrosting the freezer, I did mine a few weeks back, also aided with a heat gun. The roof of the freezer now has a non-flat feature! blush

Ed.

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 13:59:50

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all!

Take care,
Ed.

Thread: Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaners
19/12/2020 15:54:30

We have one at work, purchased last year from ebay. I think it has 2 litre capacity. We bought the proper carb' cleaner (also from ebay) which mixes with water and the chap who cleans the parts in it says it works very well.

It apparently can be the difference between a carb' working or not. It's used on plant hire machine service and customer repairs.

I'v not used it myself but have seen it in operation. A slight criticism would be the lid rests on the tank, metal to metal and can make a bit of a racket.

Ed.

Thread: banners
18/12/2020 16:34:57

I use firefox and the corrupted layout has been there for months if not years. This isn't a criticism of the web site, it's probably just a browser setting and/or the way Firefox handles CSS. I'm seeing exactly the same as in Grindstone's picture.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 18/12/2020 16:35:10

Thread: BT e-mail
13/12/2020 13:12:56

In Outlook (and possibly other email client programs) I believe there is also an option to request a receipt when the sent email has reached the recipient's email server.

Ed.

Thread: Why are gas struts on mini mill conversions not rated to fully lift the head?
05/12/2020 12:07:28

Does the mini mill not have locks for the z-axis 'way' and quill when taking x, y cuts?

Ed.

Thread: New scam to beware of
02/12/2020 19:33:38

"... If I understand correctly, spaces cannot be used in any eMail address or URL

MichaelG."

Spaces can be used in URLs but they are substituted with %20 when processed, at least for the internet. Email addresses are a different animal.

The only useful info to capture from a dodgy email is the X-SourceIP: embedded in the email header which gives the true IP address of the computer the email was sent from. Email addresses visible in the email itself can be and usually are fake.

I had a couple of text messages (not emails) last week supposedly from the Halifax saying that unauthorised transactions had taken place and I need to click a link for more info. I'm not with the Halifax. The messages were deleted and the numbers blocked.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 02/12/2020 19:52:27

Thread: Parts Washer Pump
02/12/2020 19:09:01

The company we got a replacement pump from is Safetykleen. I'm afraid I could not obtain a part no. just yet.

Incidentally the internal seals had gone on ours and there was fluid in and around all the electric parts, still working in that condition. Could have been interesting.

Here are some photos of the pump we took out.

untitled1.jpg untitled2.jpg pump3.jpg

Regards,
Ed.

30/11/2020 18:57:01

Hi Matt,

My Brother recently bought a new pump for our wash-tank at work. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if we still have the part no. and supplier info. Will update accordingly. I think they're a bit pricy though.

Our tank is filled and topped up with white spirit but also contains 2-stroke, 4-stroke and diesel, plus oil and grease from the parts we service.

Ed.

Thread: Spares stock...
20/11/2020 12:52:28

A couple of items I've needed on my lathe an milling machine are the glass fuses and had to get some carbon brushes for the milling machine.

Maybe some touch-up paint if you like to keep your machines tidy and any consumables like 'way' oil and general lubrication oil and/or grease.

Lamps(bulbs) for any lighting used around the machines.

Ed.

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 01:41:30

I bought my milling machine back in 2011 and have made a number of things since, learning from various places e.g. this forum, youtube etc how to machine parts. I also received some engineering training at BAe Bristol back in the eighties, mostly for sheet metal work though, which required high accuracy "and no scratches. Scratches are potential cracks in the aircraft industry!". smiley

Whilst I've owned the milling machine and now also a small lathe, I believe some of the most important tools to have in the shed/workshop are good quality measuring tools. If something can be measured accurately and often during manufacture, there's a good chance it will end up at the required size first time.

Bad measuring tools are out there. I have an imported protractor that reads 89° when its edges are perpendicular.

A question comes up on the forum quite often "I have a new lathe and milling machine, what other tools do I need?". I think I would suggest good quality measurement tools.

I must admit I get a bit annoyed when I see videos on youtube where vises (vices?) or work-pieces are set up which are two or three thou out of alignment and the person might say "that's good enough for what I do!" I think to myself , why not spend a minute or two getting it square or at least a lot better? A bit of patience and some tenacity are also good tools!

Ed.

- Sorry to waffle, just offering my tuppance.

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
20/09/2020 17:14:11

Before doing anything, may I suggest making a backup of your floppy disks to your laptop, if you can.

Old floppy drives can start to fail due to dried out grease, perished belts, dirty read/write heads or track 0 sensor, etc.

There are a number of external floppy drives available on Amazon UK which have a USB cable interface.

Ed.

Thread: Rotating Photos
14/09/2020 17:48:23

You'd think by now there would be a menu option in web browsers to rotate an embedded photo.

Ed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest