By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ed Duffner

Here is a list of all the postings Ed Duffner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mill mechanical Slideway Swarf covers
16/01/2021 16:30:18

An effective solution and probably easy to clean. yes

I have been trying to think of a way to add the type of cover they have on large CNC machines. The multi-sheet telescopic type that remain flat.

As a temporary measure I have installed a high temperature barbecue grill mat (from amazon) cut to size. It does need to be managed occasionally but it keeps the swarf off the ways.

Ed.

Thread: A white xmas
29/12/2020 11:33:23

Lovely and sunny here in Bristol but too cold to venture into the shed. Talking of defrosting the freezer, I did mine a few weeks back, also aided with a heat gun. The roof of the freezer now has a non-flat feature! blush

Ed.

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 13:59:50

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all!

Take care,
Ed.

Thread: Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaners
19/12/2020 15:54:30

We have one at work, purchased last year from ebay. I think it has 2 litre capacity. We bought the proper carb' cleaner (also from ebay) which mixes with water and the chap who cleans the parts in it says it works very well.

It apparently can be the difference between a carb' working or not. It's used on plant hire machine service and customer repairs.

I'v not used it myself but have seen it in operation. A slight criticism would be the lid rests on the tank, metal to metal and can make a bit of a racket.

Ed.

Thread: banners
18/12/2020 16:34:57

I use firefox and the corrupted layout has been there for months if not years. This isn't a criticism of the web site, it's probably just a browser setting and/or the way Firefox handles CSS. I'm seeing exactly the same as in Grindstone's picture.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 18/12/2020 16:35:10

Thread: BT e-mail
13/12/2020 13:12:56

In Outlook (and possibly other email client programs) I believe there is also an option to request a receipt when the sent email has reached the recipient's email server.

Ed.

Thread: Why are gas struts on mini mill conversions not rated to fully lift the head?
05/12/2020 12:07:28

Does the mini mill not have locks for the z-axis 'way' and quill when taking x, y cuts?

Ed.

Thread: New scam to beware of
02/12/2020 19:33:38

"... If I understand correctly, spaces cannot be used in any eMail address or URL

MichaelG."

Spaces can be used in URLs but they are substituted with %20 when processed, at least for the internet. Email addresses are a different animal.

The only useful info to capture from a dodgy email is the X-SourceIP: embedded in the email header which gives the true IP address of the computer the email was sent from. Email addresses visible in the email itself can be and usually are fake.

I had a couple of text messages (not emails) last week supposedly from the Halifax saying that unauthorised transactions had taken place and I need to click a link for more info. I'm not with the Halifax. The messages were deleted and the numbers blocked.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 02/12/2020 19:52:27

Thread: Parts Washer Pump
02/12/2020 19:09:01

The company we got a replacement pump from is Safetykleen. I'm afraid I could not obtain a part no. just yet.

Incidentally the internal seals had gone on ours and there was fluid in and around all the electric parts, still working in that condition. Could have been interesting.

Here are some photos of the pump we took out.

untitled1.jpg untitled2.jpg pump3.jpg

Regards,
Ed.

30/11/2020 18:57:01

Hi Matt,

My Brother recently bought a new pump for our wash-tank at work. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if we still have the part no. and supplier info. Will update accordingly. I think they're a bit pricy though.

Our tank is filled and topped up with white spirit but also contains 2-stroke, 4-stroke and diesel, plus oil and grease from the parts we service.

Ed.

Thread: Spares stock...
20/11/2020 12:52:28

A couple of items I've needed on my lathe an milling machine are the glass fuses and had to get some carbon brushes for the milling machine.

Maybe some touch-up paint if you like to keep your machines tidy and any consumables like 'way' oil and general lubrication oil and/or grease.

Lamps(bulbs) for any lighting used around the machines.

Ed.

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 01:41:30

I bought my milling machine back in 2011 and have made a number of things since, learning from various places e.g. this forum, youtube etc how to machine parts. I also received some engineering training at BAe Bristol back in the eighties, mostly for sheet metal work though, which required high accuracy "and no scratches. Scratches are potential cracks in the aircraft industry!". smiley

Whilst I've owned the milling machine and now also a small lathe, I believe some of the most important tools to have in the shed/workshop are good quality measuring tools. If something can be measured accurately and often during manufacture, there's a good chance it will end up at the required size first time.

Bad measuring tools are out there. I have an imported protractor that reads 89° when its edges are perpendicular.

A question comes up on the forum quite often "I have a new lathe and milling machine, what other tools do I need?". I think I would suggest good quality measurement tools.

I must admit I get a bit annoyed when I see videos on youtube where vises (vices?) or work-pieces are set up which are two or three thou out of alignment and the person might say "that's good enough for what I do!" I think to myself , why not spend a minute or two getting it square or at least a lot better? A bit of patience and some tenacity are also good tools!

Ed.

- Sorry to waffle, just offering my tuppance.

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
20/09/2020 17:14:11

Before doing anything, may I suggest making a backup of your floppy disks to your laptop, if you can.

Old floppy drives can start to fail due to dried out grease, perished belts, dirty read/write heads or track 0 sensor, etc.

There are a number of external floppy drives available on Amazon UK which have a USB cable interface.

Ed.

Thread: Rotating Photos
14/09/2020 17:48:23

You'd think by now there would be a menu option in web browsers to rotate an embedded photo.

Ed.

Thread: varifocals
01/09/2020 18:05:30

A bit of a nightmare.

I recently tried varifocals for a second time with Specsavers. The eye test itself I felt was quite rushed and the optician seemed to ignore when I mentioned I have difficulty focussing with my right eye. When he put the device in front of my eyes to test my vision it was half hearted and I had to ask him to straighten it so I could read the letters.

After the test I was confused by the garbled options I was told for what I could purchase and upon hearing some key-words I went for a two-for-one deal with their best lenses and selected some new frames.

Picked up the glasses and was expecting a fitting of some kind to check for correct alignment - nothing! I was just handed the glasses in two different boxes. When trying them on in the shop I commented about the right eye prescription not feeling right. I was advised by a non-optician to try them for two weeks.

The frames when I received them were bent. The nose bridge pieces were skewed to one side. The lenses had the prescriptions etched into them, visible numbers etched into the plastic!

After two weeks I took them back and got my £420 back. Only at this stage did they mention a fitting and alignment check. I don't think I'll be going there again.

Ed.

I hope this doesn't break the forum rules by mentioning a company name.

Thread: Blown band saw circuit.
23/08/2020 18:48:05

Assuming it is a multi pole switch, I think only the 3 right-most contact pairs would be normally open and the far left pair is possibly just isolated connection posts (or there would be a direct short L-N if they were closed).

A centrifugal switch could switch between the capacitor or the solid wire to complete the neutral side of the circuit. Not sure if it would be a start or run capacitor.

Ed.

23/08/2020 17:57:43

What is the large rectangular block between the capacitor and the Warning Light" ? Is it a connector or 4-pole switch?

Ed.

Thread: TBH!
12/08/2020 18:14:17

There was a spectacular lightning show last night about 10.20PM UK time, way to the north of Bristol. Literally dozens of huge flashes all up in the clouds, not a sound to be heard. My Brother said his two dogs were going crazy, they must have heard it.

Ed.

Thread: Bulbs Electric Life of
24/07/2020 20:07:46

In my experience LED's always lasted a lot longer than incandescent lamps. I would be thinking along the lines of a standard LED (not high brightness) and maybe use a translucent shade or 'envelope' to decrease the brightness more, if required.

I expect some of the electronics guys here could describe a good solution, perhaps with a dimmer circuit.

Ed.

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
21/07/2020 18:20:48

I can't understand why the call blocking software or embedded firmware in phones can't be somehow incorporated at the exchange. Makes one wonder, whether having to buy additional hardware with these features is a scam itself.

Ideally and in my humble opinion, any call that isn't traceable to source, including geographical location should not be allowed to connect to any other phone or device.

Ed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest