By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ed Duffner

Here is a list of all the postings Ed Duffner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Web Hosting
18/11/2019 18:41:46

I have built and occasioanly maintain the web site for my brothers tool hire shop, using MySql and PHP. It's hosted with "Unlimited Web Hosting". They have given us good customer support when needed, which thankfully has not been very often.

Ed.

Thread: General Question
15/09/2019 11:30:22

If you happen to have a tracking number it should be possible to see where the missing items are.

I recently bought an old camera lens from Japan. With tracking, I could see it took 3 to 4 days to get to England, then a further 2 weeks to get through customs.

Ed.

Thread: Blown Fuse
14/08/2019 18:12:14

Was the machining being done dry, without coolant or lube?

One of the forum members here has previously commented about the build up of aluminium dust on a bench sander which ignited when he later held a ferrous metal to the sander without cleaning off the aluminium dust.

I wonder what size aluminium has to be reduced to and at what temperature it becomes ignitable?

Edited By Ed Duffner on 14/08/2019 18:13:00

Thread: WM16B mill
07/08/2019 18:25:16

I have the Warco WM-16 and use a Vertex 100mm vise for most of the stuff I'm doing at the moment. I originally fitted one of the small display type of DRO to the machine from ARC Eurotrade. The X scale was screwed to the front of the table on 20mm deep mounts and the scale would often hit the Y-axis winding wheel.

I've since fitted an Easson ES12B with magnetic scales from M-DRO and the X-scale is mounted to the rear of the table. So far I've not been in a situation where the table has needed to be wound back far enough to cause a problem. It really depends on what you intend to machine and how big the initial part is.

Ed.

Thread: Things to Come
02/08/2019 22:46:40

A few weeks back, I was looking at Neil's post on this forum about his Trace Elliot guitar amp and later went to Ebay to look for tools. On the front page of Ebay was a whole load of Trace Elliot amps for sale.

They say it's to help us, but ultimately it's google making even more money.

Thread: Q: Print Nozzle Hole Shape?
31/07/2019 22:37:38

Jeff, thanks for the info. Seems strange the nozzle would split out unless they were thin-walled.

Versaboss, Indeed I thought of that too, but if the nozzle had outer edges which were made square to the inner, then setup could be achieved.

Ed.

31/07/2019 21:46:13

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a 3D printer, not sure which one or type yet. However, whilst looking at the various tests and reviews online, a thought crossed my mind regarding print quality on filament deposition (FDM) printers.

Why do the print nozzles on FDM printers have a round hole? Why not a square hole? Wouldn't a square hole lay down a flatter sided filament? and subsequent layers create a better/flatter side surface?

With todays' manufacturing abilities, a square hole should be relatively easy to accomplish.

Ed.

Thread: Guess the Chemical?
28/07/2019 01:45:00

nitrocellulose lacquer?

Ed.

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
19/07/2019 00:40:29

I bought one of these laser levels from B&Q many years ago for about £30. I think I've used it twice so far. For finding levels in the garden to add a railway sleeper, low retaining wall and to check and level the ceiling timbers in my living room when I knocked the hall through. I was surprised to find the timbers had a difference of as much as 7/8" or ~22mm lowest to highest point. !!!

I find levelling the base of the tool to be a bit tedious.

Ed.

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
19/07/2019 00:21:45

We had a customer come into the shop a couple of months back, asking for a 9-inch TCT wood cutting blade and non-standard step-washer / bush.

Not immediately obvious what he was looking to do, but after a chat he basically wanted to fit the blade onto his angle grinder to cut out a tree stump. He was politely sent on his way after being advised of the potential danger.

Ed.

Thread: Mains outlets with USB sockets - safety?
05/07/2019 23:04:13

If you buy any electrical equipment in the UK, always make sure it carries the British Standard kite mark. In my past Electrician experience MK always had a premium price but it is good stuff, along wth Crabtree.

For charging I tend to read and follow the instructions for the particular device itself.

Ed.

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
24/05/2019 18:08:42

I strip down and repair several chop saws every month, mostly wood working saws. The field coil in the picture does look a bit burnt but can look dark under certain light due to the way light is dispersed by the varnish.

Only way to check is to strip it down and look at all of the parts. If doing so, I'd suggest taking out the brushes first as they may get damaged when the armature slides out of the housing.

Ed.

Thread: Does my ME print subscription auto-renew?
09/05/2019 18:40:30

Thanks Jason yes

Ed.

09/05/2019 01:07:46

Thanks guys,

Neil, that URL takes me to MEW subs. I'm referring to my Model Engineer paper magazine, print subscription. smiley

I already swapped my MEW sub from pocket mags to mytime media some months ago.

I'll wait and see if ME auto-renews.

Cheers,
Ed.

08/05/2019 18:35:20

A question for the ME staff if I may.

I have a print-only subscription to the ME magazine(taken out in October 2017), which is apparently going to end tomorrow according to the Forum/Magazine section.

However the welcome letter for ME says that direct debit payments will contnue uninterrupted until I say otherwise.

Do I need to re-subscribe or will my subscription auto-renew?

Many thanks,
Ed.

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
07/05/2019 17:50:26

I just bought a set of parallels. Something I want to try if the largest parallel is deep enough, is to set a parallel between the back face of the fixed jaw of my vice and the square column of the mill. Or better still between the column and another clamped parallel in the vice jaws. Then use the Y axis feed to square up the loose vice against the parallel.

I suppose 1-2-3 blocks would do the same.

Ed.

Thread: Fibre Optics / Microscope objectives
23/04/2019 17:14:49

Photographers sometimes use snoots which are basically reflective pieces of fabric with velcro attached, wrapped around the head of a flashgun. These give directional or shielded lighting

Ed.

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
23/04/2019 16:40:43

I started with the less expensive X and Y scales from ARC. I'm not knocking ARC in any way, these are sold by numerous outlets.

Out of the box one of the scales would not work with one display but swapping over the scales and displays fixed that. These were also unreliable - trying to creep up on a number e.g. 2.00mm was often frustrating because I'd get to 1.99 and the display would jump to 2.01. Also the wiring I believe is not shielded and is affected by close proximity to mains cables and sends the display haywire, meaning loss of a datum and having to edge-find all over again.

I've now splashed out on a 3 axis DRO and two scales for X and Y (Z axis will possibly come later) from Machine-DRO. I got a lot of brackets I didn't need and have made custom ones to fit my WM-16 mill. These are magnetic scales and I love the setup, especially the SDM function for pre-setting positions of multiple holes or operations.

My understanding is if I'd gone for more expensive glass scales I could have had an extra feature for setting a machine datum which allows for position(al?) recovery after switching the DRO off and back on. e.g. overnight . I don't think this feature is possible with magnetic scales due to a lack of an in-built reference point.

Regards,
Ed.

Thread: No 20 machine oil
13/04/2019 15:06:10

Does the ZX-16 (BMD-16) have an oil-fillled gearbox? It appears to be a bench top mill similar to others which have grease lubricated gears, like my Warco WM-16.

Cheers,
Ed.

Thread: Drilling Ball bearing balls
26/03/2019 17:57:01

I came across a video on EDM the other day whilst browsing Youtube. EDM Video

Maybe if you have a local company, they could do the drilling for you?

Regards,
Ed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest