By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SteveW

Here is a list of all the postings SteveW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Nuisance phone calls
17/10/2020 18:47:44

I always ask which machine it’s for. They never know. If I ask if it’s for the Hotpoint they always say ‘yes’ but our machine is a Bosch and we’ve never had a service contract. Just a nuisance doubly so as I have a phone in the workshop and they work with the gremlins to hide the tools while my attention is elsewhere.

Steve

Thread: Tapered Square metal punch anyone?
08/08/2020 11:10:50

Q Max punches do some square and round punches. They work well in aluminium but struggle a bit in steel. Once very popular for valve sockets in old electronic equipment.

Thread: First lathe
07/08/2020 18:44:08

I would say not worth it on a lathe. On a mill very worthwhile. Depends a bit on your skill level I guess but a dro on a lathe doesn’t make it much easier to use. Using a mill is often more coordinate based so the benefit is much more apparent. Of course there is a skill in using the dro to its best advantage.

Thread: Lathe question
06/07/2020 18:00:02

It’s a rotary table. Usually used with a milling machine to hold a workpiece and turn it by a known angle. So you could machine a curve (arc) or by turning at a regular interval a hexagon. There are a few videos on YouTube.

Thread: Camshaft
25/06/2020 11:06:15

Followers were flat and highly polished with lightweight pushrods. No signs of wear. The internals of the engine were quite high quality.

if something like it was available for a model size engine it would encourage me to have a go and I guess ,like most other model engineers, I’d be happy if it ran for 15 minutes every now and again.

Steve

23/06/2020 16:42:39

Camshaft and timing gear from a 120cc 4 stroke. I’ve not seen this in an engine before. What chance of a 3D print of something like it for a model?

picture in album

Edited By SteveW on 23/06/2020 16:45:21

Thread: Questions about lathe power feeds.
06/06/2020 11:02:06

I think you would want to accelerate the lathe spindle speed rather than the feed to keep the surface speed the same with the same (constant) depth of cut set by the gearbox. I think that would be equally worrying to the operator!

Steve

Thread: Arc welding rods
28/05/2020 18:48:36

Thanks all for your help! I’ll take the pies out before I put the rods in!

Steve

28/05/2020 16:38:20

I know that arc welding rods used to absorb moisture and to remove/reduce it they were ‘baked’. I can’t remember (if I ever knew!) the temperature or time to soak. From what I do remember it was barely enough to warm a pie... Can anyone help?

Steve

Thread: Unimat 3 Tailstock Die Holder
21/04/2020 17:19:33

Is it necessary to get metric and imperial size dieholders? I seem to be able to use my holders interchangeably but that could be luck!

Thread: Cutting / tapping oil
18/04/2020 17:34:13

I just use a dab of grease especially in blind holes so the swarf is expelled but for what I do I think anything a bit oily works. Wd40 is convenient. I don’t worry...

Thread: Hall Class Display Model
22/01/2020 21:02:12

Looks good to me! And I quite like the natural finish. I would like to see more. Were the parts laser cut?

SteveW

Thread: Extending router shanks
13/11/2019 21:13:24

Leave the dust shoe off. Work outside. Wear a reasonable face mask. If you only have a clock case to do it will only take a tick. Sorry not an engineering solution... But safer than a flying router bit!

Thread: Disposal of workshop contents
02/09/2019 16:40:41

You may be surprised by ‘clearance prices’. If there is any desire to raise significant funds from the sale then splitting up and selling at auction (not necessarily eBay) is really the best way. The owner will get what they are ‘worth’ less commission.

Thread: New member seeking advice
25/07/2019 14:21:09

Everything has a value. You may want to try eBay to let them find their level. There may be a local “Men in Sheds” workshop operating near you who could give some of the tools a charitable home where they would be loved and used. Contact Age Concern.

I suggest this with mixed feelings. My Tuesday morning was trying to reduce the enormous pile of duplicated tools in our local branch. There is a natural limit to the number of hammers... we stuck at 2 for each member!

SteveW

Thread: Soft Feel Finish on Radio
06/04/2019 13:50:51

Wine bottle stopper changed to a thick black gloop in our cutlery drawer. With some elbow grease it did all come off with methanol. Will now have to finish the bottle...wink

Thread: Yet more confusion!
12/01/2019 16:24:43

Or, is it a sign that the poles north and South are about to reverse?

I hope that doesn't happen I don't want to live in the North!

Thread: High Speed Sensitive Drilling Machine : 1909
12/01/2019 16:20:01

Best thing is the drive is communicated by a sleeve and a feather. Not something I've tried yet...

SteveW

Thread: Comfortable Working Height for a ML7
10/10/2018 16:39:48

Make it too high rather than too low. You can always stand on a box or a pallet duckboard to see right over the top if you want or need to.

Thread: C0 lathe question.
23/09/2018 12:23:09

Remember it's (normally) possible to do small work on a large machine but not the other way round... I'd go a bit bigger.if you are able to, life will be easier and possibilities much wider.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest