By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Whitley

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Whitley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spindle play - Boxford STS 10-20
23/04/2015 22:02:10

Hi John, I would first run the lathe at top speed for at least 30 minutes, or until the headstock warms up. Drain the oil and refill with new oil to the correct level.. Run the lathe again till warm and check it again. If you have already adjusted the bearing preload, and it has made no difference, then I would suggest that the adjustment has not actually happened! Even worn bearings should lose some of their play when the preload is adjusted. The usual method of adjusting preload is to tighten the bearing up to a set torque, then slacken to a pre load in order that the bearings move on the spindle. If the adjustments you have made have made no difference, then this has not happened. Try tapping the spindle nose into the headstock with a soft faced mallet then resetting the preload. Are the bearings noisy, or do they feell notchy as you turn the spindle by hand? If not I would suggest that they may need adjusting, but what you have done so far has failed to move the bearings closer together on the shaft, and therefore not made any difference.

Phil

Thread: F1 shaper
20/04/2015 20:50:27

Sorry Rik, didn't go today, there tomorrow though, and will let you know.

Phil

Thread: Electrical enclosure/case modification and liability?
19/04/2015 19:55:42

CE marking!!! don't make me laugh, ever since the Chinese announced that NOTHING that they mark "CE" is actually tested as such for sale in the EEC, and that the letters "CE" stamped on all their products stands for "China Export" the CE mark has been absolutely worthless. I am an electrical engineer who regularly fits lights in Bathrooms, which are Stamped CE and marked "suitable for use in bathrooms" They are made in China, marked CE, approved by the local authority inspector, and the quality is absolute rubbish. Your first reply was absolutely correct, the power supply is a sealed and earthed unit, and the power beyond that box is low voltage, you need have no worries,. If you are going to do a lot of these, and make a lot of money, and want peace of mind, get third party liability insurance, it is a lot cheaper than most people think.

Thread: Were castings cheap back then?
19/04/2015 19:38:07

I think up to the onset of the1970s foundries were everywhere, look at the older manhole covers as you walk the streets of your town, you might be surprised how locally the older ones were cast. After the 70s health and safety got them by the balls, and they closed. Can you imagine the H&S implications of setting up a commercial foundry today, absolute nightmare!

Phil

UK

Thread: TLC on an old compressor
19/04/2015 19:16:53

Hi Vic, I think you may have to scavenge to find one, the one I fitted to my 5hp 22cu ft min compressor was off a Hillman minx, but they were fitted to all manner of cars and tractors. this is the one I used.

They really do work to cut down the noise, and they are also MUCH better at filtering the air, the paper or mesh type are useless, but cheap! Google "oil bath air filter", and you will be an expert on them in seconds!

Good luck

Phil

Thread: F1 shaper
19/04/2015 18:30:37

my Alba 1A is single phase, I am at the workshop tomorrow, I will check it out and see what speed and hp it is

Phil

19/04/2015 17:49:19

You can't go the speed control route with an old motor I am afraid Rik, it will almost certainly overheat, because slowing it down also slows down it's cooling fan. Check the rpm on the motor It should be 1440 or thereabouts, I bet it has been fitted with a 2880 from a compressor. single phase 1 1/2 to 2 hp motors will be cheaper than a VFD speed control, don't buy new, go to a motor repair and rewind shop.

Phil

Thread: TLC on an old compressor
19/04/2015 17:39:07

You can make it a lot quieter by fitting an oil bath type air cleaner. You will be amazed how quiet it can be! Back to basics, how long does it take to fill the tank, and can you hear air leaking back through the non return valve (if fitted) or back through the compressor valves, listen to the cylinder head with a long screwdriver after the tank is full. Change the oil!

Phil

UK

Thread: 110v or 240v how do i tell
15/04/2015 20:20:14

It sounds like it is 110V, it is normal to fit a capacitor rated at double the working voltage or thereabouts. Pop into a hire shop, buy a 110V plug (cheap!) and ask them to test it for you.

Phil

UK

Thread: What angers/upsets you in the Workshop?
15/04/2015 20:11:23

What angers/ upsets me in the workshop is having to leave it!

Thread: CovMac Lathes
31/03/2015 20:37:27

Hi All, Like the handle mod John, saddle is the same as mine. It looks clean for it's age, and the bed well oiled and bright, glad you still use it and enjoy it.

Phil

31/03/2015 17:40:28

John, where are you in the UK?

Phil

East Yorks.

31/03/2015 17:37:14

Hi All, That paint looks to be the same colour as mine is painted, but mine has a different maker, and was reconned by Berridges, who I always assumed had painted it that colour. looking in the plinths however, it looks like it got one coat of red lead primer, and then the magnolia gloss, which has yellowed over the years. Mine looked just the colour of Johns before I cleaned it. Hi John, BTW that is a magnificent looking machine, I have the 13" Geared head model like Chris. Do you use it regularly, and what do you use ot for? Good pics BTW

Phil

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
29/03/2015 17:18:57

Me and My Mate would go to his dads Smallholding(somewhere in west Yorks) and lark about. One day we got some apples and decided to cook them in an old baby belling cooker we found. Having no electrickery, we quite logically decided to build a fire, put the apples in the cooker, and place it carefully on the fire. We did this, and after about thirty minutes decided they would be ready, but how to get them? My mate solved this problem by kicking the cooker off the fire, unfortunately, a large part of the fire went with it, caught some dry grass, which caught onto a steep hilside covered with bone dry rosebay willowherb, and we watched in horror as the fire rushed up the hillside and became a roaring inferno..................we did what all ten year olds were really good at, we legged it! The fire brigade declared the fire out..........4 days later, it having burned out many acres of wasteground and green belt around the nameless place where I then lived, we never got found out. it was the late 50's. I still shudder when I think about the roar it made.

Phil

Thread: Allegro Razor Blade Sharpener
25/03/2015 17:05:42

Hi All, Gordon W I would like to know more about the scratched razor blade semiconductor, Do tell us!

Phil

UK

Thread: Changing a motor for a vari speed
25/03/2015 10:53:17

Hi Bill, I go on about this endlessly, but just be aware that when you use any sort of speed control to slow down a motor below its normal running spped, you are also slowing down the motors cooling fan, so be aware of the possibility of overheating. Best way is to use the gears/belts for the slow speeds as much as you can, or arrange an independant cooling fan for your motor.

Phil

UK

Thread: Sealey Drill Motor - Electrical help
22/03/2015 11:01:56

To reverse a single phase motor you reverse the polarity of the start winding. The problem is in identifying the start winding! If the motor has a centrifugal switch, the winding attached to the switch is the start winding, just reverse the connections of the coil, and the motor will reverse. Likewise if you see four wires coming out of the motor at the terminal box, see if there is any information on the inside of the box cover. Sealey may be able to tell you. As has been said above however, some motors are often connected for single direction rotation and to find the ends of the start winding would involve cutting into the motor tail connections, not recommended unless you know what you are doing. It used to be easy when we had British Standards and the start winding was marked Z1 and Z2, but unfortunately we no longer live in the age of quality manufacture and universal compatibility.

Ho Hum

Phil

Thread: Source for small knife switch
21/03/2015 18:56:36

Hi Jason, nice job on the switch! Short time ago I machined some delrin type white nylon for some bushes, closely followed by some harder grey plastic of uncertain type, for a handle. I still find bits of it, and I had a really good vac up afterwards, it goes everywhere.. I gather what we are looking at is a half scale model you have made? Loks brilliant, is she running yet?

Phil

21/03/2015 15:51:01

Jason, I think I have got one, unless you have already made one you are happy with, I will be at my workshop on Monday, I will have a look and post up pics and dimensions.........................if I can find it!

Phil

now where did I put it?.......................................sure I saw it recently....................mumbles incoherently.............falls asleep..............zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thread: ROYAL SHAPER
17/03/2015 10:50:24

http://www.lathes.co.uk/royalshaper/ is a good resource!

phil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest