By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Whitley

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Whitley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
06/08/2022 16:33:19

A varied week of highs, lows, and a poo run! I earned some money doing lots of very enjoyable little repairs to antique metalware, and it was all downhill from there! All I can say is it was a good thing that the weather was warm and sunny, or it would have been a lot worse! Join me in Yorkshire for a real rollercoaster of a week! Phil, in getting warmer East Yorkshire, the harvest is coming in!

30/07/2022 16:31:13

The furnace comes out for the first time, and works superbly well, the mould is made and the copper is poured, and a very good casting is made! I change the tractor engine oil, and find there is no oil filter in the cannister, just iike there was no fuel filter either!! well it has one now, and with new oil we have gained about 10 psi oil pressure, even though the oil pressure was good before. I have gone for the sae40 non detergent oil which is reccomended for working tractors. We round off the week with a day of antique metalwork repairs for my dealer friend, but only cover that briefly because we already have about an hour of vid this week, don't fall asleep! Phil, in Cool and wet East Yorkshire. Wot heat wave?

23/07/2022 20:35:08

Another 3 day week!, Monday was my 70th birthday, so I took the day off, Tuesday was so unfeasably hot that I stayed home and sweltered! This is what remains! I finish the moulding flask, and get the sand mixed with the bentonite and wetted down, and then get sidetracked into a quick repair (why are they never quick) on the little Reid-EE sawbench. when I was at school I only got lines once! I had to write out 100 times "I must concentrate on the job in hand" I am living proof that the lines did not work!!

Phil, in unfeasably hot then dull and overcast East Yorkshire.

16/07/2022 16:26:12

I bite the bullet once again, and take off the PTO shaft to relieve the tight bearing, which is nylon to metal, and will melt and self destruct if it is not right. I get the charging circuit working, although not at low rpm, but many fordson owners tell me that is how they are ! There may be a new regulator in the near future, as setting the old one up again when it is on the tractor is not easy access! Touch the paintwork up, and then as some light relief, I make a pair of moulding flasks for the copper casting experiment, It's all in my week this week!

Phil, in overcast, cool and cloudy East Yorkshire, Harvest is ON!

09/07/2022 18:46:36

What seemed to be a simple bit of vibration and wobble on the PTO shaft turned into a nightmare of disintegrating universal joints damages slider tubes, twisted Yokes, and basically all the indications that this pto shaft has had a non shear bolt in the topper end, which has subjected the PTO shaft to forces well beyond its pay scale!, I fought it, threw money at it, heated it up in the gas forge till it glowed, hammered, and twisted, and eventually came out victorious (I hope) It's all in my week this week!

Phil in hot and humid East Yorkshire!

01/07/2022 15:40:25

Released at 4pm GMT+1 Saturday

I get the grass cutter finished, and condemn the pto driveshaft as BER until I see the price of a new one! It can be fixed as you can buy the tube, so I can replace the twisted portion. I am going to fit the grass cutter to the tractor and measure up for the driveshaft with the grasscutter in the raised and lowered position so I get the right length, as measuring it up roughly seems to indicate about 4" overlap in the telecoping part when it is in the down position, so no wonder it has twisted. Thank you all for watching and commenting, and don't forget to like and subscribe, and click on the black bell to get all the updates and notice of new content! I try to upload every Saturday at 4pm GMT but if you click the bell when you subscribe, you tube will remind you, supposedly!!

Phil, In very bright sunshine between the cold and downpours in East Yorkshire!

25/06/2022 21:48:00

The final front ear! That old startrek chestnut, but apart from the fact that it is not charging, everything else is fine! After all that hassle with the electrics, bloody ungratefull I call it! It will be something simple, and probably to do with the cut out setting being done at different revs to actually being on the tractor or else a wire off on the cut out, it is very tight in there, I will sort it! Then on to the topper, and that gets finished all bar the shouting!, All in all, a good week!

Phil, it is HOT again in East Yorkshire!

18/06/2022 19:31:25

I finish wiring the lights, and get all the wiring neatened up and ruggedised, move the oil pipe, and finally fit the toolbox, A disaster is averted when I find the oil pressure guage pipe has been rubbing and is worn thin! All in a weeks worth of tractor fun! Also some work in the field, tidying up the remains of the old kennels, and you can see the heat affecting my non existent photography skills, Thursday brought the first really hot day to East Yorkshire, Friday was a little cooler..........................but not much!

Phil, in sunstricken East Yorkshire!

Thread: Denham Junior Mk2 Lathe Purchase
18/06/2022 16:13:07

Don't forget, it is a plain bearing lathe (like my Covmac), so it is essential to oil all the oilholes and cups before you use it, and don't forget the tailstock ends of the leadscrew and feed shaft! It looks like a lovely machine!

Phil

Thread: Denham Lathe Restoration
09/06/2022 18:32:53
Posted by Chris Blight on 09/06/2022 12:32:56:

I'm curious about my cross slide lead screw. It's a two start thread, is there any reason why they would have a two start for a lead screw?

I would have thought that It would double the area of wear surfaces and prolong the accurate life of the thread.

04/06/2022 18:40:24

Yes folks, all my goodies are sorted away, and I get to spend a whole day fitting the ROPS and wiring the lights on the tractor! I will be back on it full time next week, and then onto the topper/grass cutter, which will be brief, as it is only to check over, one swing slasher to free off, sharpen, and a coat of paint!

Phil, in monsoon hit East Yorkshire!

21/05/2022 17:35:38

More clearing and sorting of the workshop stuff, and a few interesting finds. I have come up with a strategy! Next week I will finish the tractor, and then the grass cutter, and when they are done and out, I am going on a cull of all my junk, starting in the Outside store, which is full of junk, much of which can be scrapped, as the price is very good at the moment, and that will give me somewhere to move the stuff from the downstairs stores, which are impractical, as they are too far away from the workshop proper!, of course as I move the stuff, much of that will also be culled!!

Phil, the grass waits for no man in East Yorkshire!

14/05/2022 16:05:24

The big clearout of my late neighbours shed continues, my almost empty washers box is now overflowing, and there are lots of usefull goodies appearing as I empty the rest, plus instructions on Megger testing electric motors for earth faults, and my usual wit and wisdom, such as it is!!

Phil, in Scorching East Yorkshire

Thread: New Badges for an MG A
11/05/2022 18:42:40

Beautiful Work Wal!

Thread: Code of Conduct
11/05/2022 18:29:47

SPOT ON Bazle! Apart from the misquote Orwell/Huxley thing. These people are cowning the public into silence, and the what they desire, as always, is power!

11/05/2022 18:23:02

By and large, Engineers, of whatever scale are far to erudite, well educated and down to earth to be Woke! Anyone who served any sort of engineering apprenticeship will have heard words that woulkd make a docker blush! It is high time we stopped giving any credence or attention to those who rush around blubbing profusely when they are "offended by something" As the very well educated and erudite Mr Steohen Fry said, " You are offended? So F***ing what?"

Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqPcjm-X5GQ

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/05/2022 18:33:48

07/05/2022 17:53:39

A quick catch up as I have been busy moving Mum to her new home this week,Back to the tractor next week, and also more of clearing an old engineers workshop!

Phil, in sunny and rainy East Yorkshire

Thread: Which beginners lathe is best
05/05/2022 09:10:18

I think the answer is "any lathe you can get your hands on" The space you have and the type of power available from your electicity supply being the only limiting factors! Another question you must ask is about the scale of the parts you want to make You can do small work on a big lathe, but not big work on a small lathe! small tabletop new machines are reasonably expensive and very variable in quality, Myfords/south bends etc are generally very expensive for what they are, but also very versatile and capable machines, and having attended very many auctions where machinery is sold I can tell you that anything that can be lifted by two men into a van carries a premium price! For my money go for Harrison,Colchester bantam or student as they are plentiful, well built and very capable, and can often be had for less than a myford, to which they are very superior machines. Watch youtube lathe videos!

How much money have you got!

Phil

30/04/2022 15:11:07

This week I repair the ROPS and paint it, and all the lighting components that arrived in three different colours, This could be the final week on the tractor, and time to move onto the Big Bee topper, but there are going to be interuptions! Mothers Moving day is friday the sixth and she has to be out because the new owners are moving in! So I will need to be up there for a few days prior, We will see what I can get done!

Phil, in gloriously sunny, but not too hot East Yorkshire

Thread: Motor size
29/04/2022 09:28:18

Good Grief! Belt manufacturers settings are the MAXIMUM tension, I am not suggesting leaving them loose, just below the maximum! In normal use they will never slip, remember it is a WEDGE belt, and even a properly adjusted belt will slip if the machine (any machine) is locked up. If however the machine is lightly built it is more likely break the machine rather than slip the belts. Think of it like an overload clutch, belts are much cheaper than machine parts! It was common practice in schools and colleges to run machines with the belts looser than recomended tension to allow for learners cock ups, and we were actually told at college that industrially set up machines were not so forgiving because of this!

Phil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate