By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Whitley

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Whitley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
15/01/2021 21:09:47

Hi Tony, I am in Driffield, and the workshop is ower 't ward tops!

Phil

15/01/2021 20:53:57

Well folks, I dragged myself back to work after a pleasant Christmas break, got the air filter finished, and made progres generally, but then, the starter is no longer able to spin the engine! that will teach me not to to fit new rings, and grind the valves in! Too much compression for a starter that is designed to start a 15hp single cylinder engine! I think I have pushed the boat out too far, and too fast, and then tried to jump in, and the obvious has happened! The new starter arrives tomorrow! Thanks for watching, and a strappy new year to you all!

Phil

Slip sliding away on the ice in East Yorkshire.

Edited By Phil Whitley on 15/01/2021 20:54:37

02/01/2021 20:01:42
Hope you have all had a good time and are refreshed and relaxed and ready to brave the weather and go back to work? No neuther sm I!! I am taking eldest back to Uni on the 6th(thats the plan at the moment anyway) and will be back in the workshop for more fun and games on the 11th, Thanks you all for watching, please subscribe and comment, and all of you stay safe and lets have a better 2021!
Phil
Thread: PAT - Portable Appliance Test
02/01/2021 13:16:55

'll just add to that , Pat testers charge per test, as has been said above, and therefore have a financial incentive to bend the regulations and claim that they apply to as many things as possible. There are no statistics produced to show that PAT testing ever avoided a single workplace accident, Which are and have been at an extremely low level for many years now. when first introduced, my local jobcentre was using the then current "Back to work grant" to buy a pat tester and a 2 day course for the long term unemployed to get them off their books! Add to that that most of the companies set up to milk this cash cow folded within months of inception, and you begin to get a handle on how interested parties become lobbyists for the introduction of new legislation to in order to "curb the rising tide of workplace electrical accidents" and thus create a marketplace for their equipment or service. They then ensure that the specifications are changed every couple of years in order that all the operators have to purchase new equipment if they wish to continue testing, and thus the "industry" implodes, and the lobbyists look to creating more money out of milking some sector that they can foist more unneccasary legislation onto. This is why it is a bad idea to allow equipment manufacturers to have a hand in drafting IET regs, their only motive is profit, not safety!

02/01/2021 12:56:03
Posted by Martin 100 on 01/01/2021 18:36:14:
Posted by Phil Whitley on 01/01/2021 15:40:49:

Given that a "portable appliance" is

An appliance of less than 18 kg in mass that is intended to be moved while in operation or an appliance which can easily be moved from one place to another, e.g. toaster, food mixer, vacuum cleaner, fan heater.

Got a link to UK legislation or an HSE document that actually states that?

if you google pat testing, definition of portable appliance, you get this under the HSE https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=pat+testing%2C+definition+of+portable+appliance

01/01/2021 15:40:49

Pat testing is generally a scam carried out by largely unqualified people who have attended the 12 hour course offered by some training establishments, to make money.Other than this course there is no requirement for the tester to have any other relevant qualifications in any field. It applies to workplace only, and there is no requirement for appliances in the home to be tested. If you are in or run a business that has to have PAT testing done, far better to go on the course, buy a tester and do it yourself. Given that a "portable appliance" is

An appliance of less than 18 kg in mass that is intended to be moved while in operation or an appliance which can easily be moved from one place to another, e.g. toaster, food mixer, vacuum cleaner, fan heater.

Why would you test any washing machine?

Thread: Earth Leakage on a 3 phase Motor
31/12/2020 14:35:05

Wot Simon said, plus the RCD tripping could have been caused by spikes pushed back at the VFD by the motor, and filtered out by the VFD capacitive filter, which dumps any unwanted charges to system earth. Older motors sometimes do not like VFD created 3 phase!

Thread: TIG is harder than it looks
30/12/2020 20:02:48

it is difficult at first, but it takes practice, like all welding, and it gets easier. It pays to adjust your welding helmet till you can see as clearly as is absolutely possible, because you need to have a clear view of the puddle, and also to follow the gap you are welding (something that I fail on), my tig is an old school transformer, so no foot pedal, but it is ac/dc and was only £150. It pays to rest your wrists on something, sit down at the job, and concentrate on the puddle. Absolute cleanliness, even on steel is essential, as is a nice clean pointy tungsten. With TIG, you need to be very picky, you cant just point and shoot like you can with mig, and you cant burn your way through dirt, rust and grease like you can with gas and stick

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
29/12/2020 18:56:13

George Lodge at 80 English st in Hull have a good stock of NOS leather seals Richard, and they are real helpfull. Sorted me one out for my old Ben patents 22cu/ft/min compressor!

Phil

Edited By Phil Whitley on 29/12/2020 18:58:31

Edited By Phil Whitley on 29/12/2020 18:59:04

26/12/2020 17:52:43

The last gasp up to the holidays, but I gopt far more dome than I thought I would, and have got even more ideas for after Christmas, I will be back in the shop in early January, unless it snows, in which case it is anybodies guess as the Langtoft road is particularly treachorous in snow, and it can block up and be impassable in less than 30 minutes! As I type this there is a storm brewing which will bring Greenlands weather straight onto the west coast of the UK, so snow could be a distinct possibility! Have a good holiday and keep safe! All the best!

Phil, in a distinctly colder East Yorkshire

19/12/2020 19:54:35
This week I actualy finish the exhaust I have been procrastinating for nearly two weeks over it, and as my late mate Alfred would have said, in his thick Dutch accent, procrastination is the thief of time". I will do better now that is out of the way!
Phil, in unseasonably mild East Yorkshire.
12/12/2020 13:16:29
I get at least half of the exhaust done, and the other half planned, and then I fit the grass deck and realise that there is nowhere near as much free space now, and when the grass deck and the front axle pivot from side to side to follow the terrain, most of that free space dissapears anyway! I have to rethink the other half. See it big, keep it simple!
Phil, in misty mysterious East Yorkshire
Thread: Christmas Cracker Jokes .. and similar
06/12/2020 20:19:36

(in a scottish accent) Whats the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

Bing sings and Walt disnae!

05/12/2020 20:22:33
In which I finish the bench for the Jones and Shipman bench centres, finish the adapter for the pipe bender, and actually get back to bending the exhaust for the Toro 2CV tractor, which I started about 4 weeks ago! In another lifetime at school, I only once got lines, and mine were "I must concentrate on the job in hand" That teacher knew me really well!!
Phil, in Wintry East Yorkshire.
Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
29/11/2020 15:43:08

Long thermal underwear is a revelation too!

29/11/2020 15:41:46

I wear extra clothing till it becomes cumbersome, then light my woodburning warm air system, which blows warm air at 70 to 80f all round the shop, and it's bliss! I really cant work in the cold!

Phil

Thread: Non-renewable energy
29/11/2020 15:25:11

Silly old duffer,

There are no "Bloopers" in my post, just differences of opinion, based on evidence, and some of your assertions are hardly scientific. I agree 100% with using scientific method, the problem arises when scientific method is thrown out of the window in favour of obviously flawed computer modelling.

Richard Feynman said “It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” Here we could substitue "experiment" with "reality We have listened to Science tell us what was going to happen in the 46 years since Jim Hansons address to senate, and by what date it was going to happen, and they have been wrong every time, not just errors of magnitude, but errors of fact. There Have been "only ten years left to save the planet" bulletins put out by many sources at many different times, and as each deadline passes with nothing happening, the credibility, not of properly applied science, but of the scientists themselves is weakened. If only they could get any of their predictions right!

It is incorrect to say that putting a bag over my head proves that carbon dioxide is a pollutant, it merely proves that I cannot survive without oxygen, a classic example of muddled thinking, or an attempt to bamboozle the people who read the headline, but don't understand the details?

The CO2 from the industrial revolution is NOT still in the atmosphere, as I said, CO2 is a transient gas and is dissolved in rain and falls to earth every time it rains, which is where the "acidification of the seas" scare story came from!

"Many civilisations failed through bad weather wrecking their agriculture" which ones please? Although bad weather did put paid to agriculture which was happening in GREENland, the clue is in the name!

I am not going to continue this, save to say that water vapour is a many times more abundant and potent greenhouse gas than CO2 is, and we have no control over evaporation, the added bonus is, of course, that cloudy nights are warmer than clear ones. Water vapour is also transient, and the more rain that falls, the more CO2 is washed from the atmosphere, and despite widespread scare stories about droughts There seems to be no shortage of rain!

Now back to climategate at the University of East Anglia, If you really believe in "the scientific method" please explain to us all what part of aforesaid method is the statement that came from their climate science department which stated "We have to get rid of the Medieval warm period" Remebering Feynmsn, this looks like a clear example of making the data fit the theorem, or in legal terms, tampering with the evidence! Everyone involved in thi debate should read all they can find on climategate, which was nothing more than an international scandal of scientists on both sides of the atlantic conspiring to alter data to prove a hypothesis which would, and DID lead to massive funding. People have such short memories.

Phil

Edited By Phil Whitley on 29/11/2020 15:31:00

29/11/2020 14:27:28

NDIY, The wind generators have not been curtailed as such, but in the earlier days of nuclear, the generators had a contract which stated in simple terms that the grid would buy all the energy that the nuclear stations could produce, and other forms of generation would be used to top up the grid until demand was met. Remember also that demand has to be met as accurately as possible, when you try to push extra energy into the grid, bad things happen! As far as I know this contract is still in place, which results in the grid buying everything the nuclear stations produce, and using the energy supplies which are easy to trim in order to balance supply with demand, and the easiest and quickest generation, both to shut down and to start up, is wind. In other words, wind is shut down so that the nukes can enforce their contract. If it was the other way round, and we used every watt of available wind power before turning to nukes, they would simply be bankrupted by their running costs!

28/11/2020 16:39:38
Some weeks I get loads done, and some weeks are like this week! Some progress is made with projects, and I almost finish making a table/stand for the J&S bench centres, mainly so I can get them off the bench and onto a stand where they can be used! I WILL do better next week, At least its nice and warm in the shop!
Phil, i
In bitterly cold East Yorkshire. Wheres global warming when you need it?

Edited By Phil Whitley on 28/11/2020 16:41:14

Thread: Non-renewable energy
27/11/2020 20:43:43

In the seventies after a night out in Sheffield, we used to drive up to Wolley edge services, and sit watching the Twin steel towns of Sheffield and Rotheram, it was like looking into Dantes inferno, and when you consider that it went on 24 hours a day, and probably had done on some scale for about 300 years, one can only imagine what the carbon footprint was, then add all the other steelworks in the UK, and the coking plants that used to provide the fuel for the steelworks, and the coal fired power stations that provided all the electricity and the steam trains that carried the coke and ore in, and the steel out, and then consider that all these industries, and many other industries that begat a forest of mill chimnies all over the north, and burnt cheap coal, are all long gone! One would have thought that given that CO2 is transient in the atmosphere, all that CO2 should have caused massive global warming, and yet in the seventies, scientists were warning of cooling? Me thinks "they protesteth too much". You are sitting in front of the most powerful research tool the planet has ever seen, if you don't believe any of the above, do some research, the rabbit hole isn't that deep, and remember scientists have mortgages, and kids at private schools!

Why does Georg Soros fund an organisation that was funding extinction rebellion, and paying its organisers £400 a week? I don't know, but it seems strange that a multi billionaire who could easily afford to fund scientific research is instead funding a protest movement that tried to convince Londoners that global warming was real by parading through the streets in blood covered polar bear suits. Something smells, and it is not rotting polar bear carcasses.

There is no doubt that the climate is changing, because it has always changed. In the medieval warm period ( the one that the UNI of East Anglia tried to get rid of, and caused climategate(qv), people have such short memories) Grapes grew and wine was made in large quantities in northern england. In the little ice age, Frost fairs were held on the frozen over river Thames.

I shall start to worry when the climate STOPS changing!

Phil,

clad from head to foot in woven glassfibre!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 27/11/2020 20:46:51

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest