By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Whitley

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Whitley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fulfilled by Amazon
17/07/2021 19:17:27

I think you mean 30mA Martin?

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
17/07/2021 18:00:31
This weeks highlights are sidetracks and interuptions!, and tales of the work I intended to do, but others had other ideas! My antique dealer mate turned up with four boxes of what is known as (in the trade) "Donkey" too good to throw away, but difficult to sell into anything but the small item collectors market, which functions very much on personal taste rather than any known make or value of item! On the basis of, "if you dont like it, burn it" I accepted it for cleaning and listing, but I am not sure I would do it again, because of the time it takes! I got the bushes that I need for the topper made and fitted, and some other little jobs like straightening drawbar pins done, but the sandblasting isn't ready yet, so I may end up putting the radiator back on the tractor on monday, and moving it outside for a steam clean, and to fit the girder trolley, so I can lift the topper, so that I can get it all put togther! Onward!
Phil in blisteringly hot East Yorkshire, 27 deg today!!
17/07/2021 17:59:07

Thanks Robert, duly noted! the problem with the pto shaft cover is the price! £70 for a cover, £80 plus for a new shaft, depending on the size and type you want, these people know how to market stuff! They sell the short shaft that fits almost nothing at a giveaway price, whilst the one to fit your machine sir (sharp intake of breath) that will be £140!! We have a perfectly good PTO shaft, but no safety cover, and it has obviously been used without one, but that gives me the creeps, so its going to get one, one way or another!

Cheers for the advice, All very helfull!

Phil

Thread: Blown Bricks : Advice please !
11/07/2021 20:16:18

Bad bricks, easiest and best is to cut the whole brick out and replace them, nowhere near as difficult as it sounds, then clean out the hole, put a mortar bed in, butter one end, pop the brick in, and point up. Did a lot of this on my workshop refurb. The only problem will be getting good bricks that are a reasonable match!

Phil

10/07/2021 16:10:30
The Fordson Major E1A refurb continues, with some Time spent hammering the Big Bee topper straight again! Another short week I am afraid. Had two lost days for trips to York, so much for getting a full week in!, lots of dirty work done, and the panels go off for blasting, water pump pulley arrives, and thank goodness it fits! I only just seem to have started this project, and it is really coming together. I shall be painting and power washing next week! It all came together on Friday when I took all the parts for Blasting and got a top link and pins for the tractor from my local Agri merchants, Scrutons of Foxholes!! Cheaper than the internet!
Phil, in damp and humid East Yorkshire

10/07/2021 16:08:10

Thanks Rob, I got a top link from my local AG merchants store, cheaper than the net! I am going to have some maintenance to do on the three point, It all needs freeing off and greasing, and I need to clean the filter in the back axle because the hydraulics are a bit sluggish. I can make the pins and bushes that I cant buy, and I hope to be a lot further forward at the end of next week, if I can get a full five days in!

Phil

03/07/2021 17:48:57
I get the water pump fitted to the Fordson, have one of my tidy ups, and then have a look at the topper and see what we will need to join the two together, I have the driveshaft, but quite a lot of the heavy metalwork on the topper is bent, and one of the flail cutters is stiff, so in we go! I need a new top link, and immediately immersing myself in the mysterious world of tractor subculture, I learn that I may need a cat 1 top link.......maybe, and also some bigger pins for the bottom link connections, and some bottom link arm balls, as mine are worn out (Fnar Fnar) I get the driveshaft sliding in and out (Fnar fnar again) after a generous application of lube (what else?) but the safety cover for the driveshaft is missing, and as they are all plastic, and £70! I may have a look at making one. It has obviously been used without one, but it obviously needs one to keep it safe, I will see what I can come up with, we may have some plastic turning to do!
Phil, in the East Yorkshire rain forest, on a jungle taming course!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 03/07/2021 17:49:51

30/06/2021 21:15:51
I start the Fordson rebuild with fitting a new water pump, and almost immediately, it all goes wrong, and then goes right again, but I get the cowl bonnet and radiator off, and then have a problem with an innacesible bolt on the pump, but persistence (and bodging) pays off in the end, the pump fits, but there is a difference in the pulley arrangment which means I need to get another pulley, but ebay comes up trumps!
Phil, in damp and humid East Yorkshire
26/06/2021 16:00:43
Yes, unbelievable but true, the Wheel horse 2CV tractor is complete, the project is finished, now all that remains to do is take it to the field and see what breaks first! In order to do this however, we must first find the gateway, which has disapeared under a jungle of head high brambles and nettles, so out come the strimmers, and in we go!! Phil, Dodging the raindrops in East Yorkshire!
19/06/2021 15:04:48

Monday was ok, got on well. Tuesday the car failed its MOT on emissions, and is BER! Wednesday, bought a new(to me) car. Thursday I got some more work done, and Friday, took the new motor for a 60 mile round trip for my wife's appointment. Luckily there was half a tank of fuel in it, as I discovered that I couldn't undo the filler door! All fixed in this video! The wheelhorse grass deck gets finished, and looks really good! My stress level is subsiding!

Phil, in Early monsoon East Yorkshire

Thread: How long does it take to make things?
13/06/2021 17:00:27

It almost always takes longer to set up , than actually machine, odd shapes are especially difficult! When Richard was coming over to make his T-nut last week, I got to the workshop early and put the vice on the mill and clocked it up to the spindle in about 10 minutes, it is probably the fastest I have ever done it!! The milling happened quite quickly, but drilling the hole was a pain, and took maybe an hour to get a 14.5mm hole through a lump of 304 stainless! every drill we picked up needed sharpening, and a couple gave up halfway through. In hindsight we should have drilled it on the mill, and we didnt fasten the vice to the drill table "to save time" LOL!!! The end result was very good, but the pains we went to could have been substantially reduced!

Phil

-+

12/06/2021 18:19:19

I finish the cleanup on all the grass deck parts, and then go up to the field, and repair a Hayter mower, and a westwood garden tractor, the sandblasted deck comes home on Friday, and we get all the priming finished! Phil, in scorching East Yorkshire

09/06/2021 20:03:15
Clean all the machines down after Fridays furious T nut machining session, and find out that 304 stainless is not magnetic! then on to the tractor, new bearings go in the alternator, the oil leak gets sorted, and finally strip the grass deck and its operating mechanism for repainting. In the meantime, the heavens open, and Langtoft floods!
Phil, in East Yorkshire, sunny and hot, with occasional floods!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 09/06/2021 20:06:08

Thread: Hinckley C
08/06/2021 19:09:28
Posted by duncan webster on 08/06/2021 17:31:22:
Posted by J Hancock on 08/06/2021 10:48:55:

Time to buy a portable generator ?

News today EDF closing Dungeness B , now, seven years before planned.

But, Hinkley C will be up and running in 2026 .

Bets anyone ?

Actually 13 years after its initial design life, so not too bad really. Started generating in 1983. Why don't we just build some more AGRs, we know they work, we have built 7 of them, there is a current safety case, need I go on? Put them next to the existing ones and re-use the turbines, condensers, cooling towers etc, and keep the experienced workforce in a job

Very valid point Duncan!!

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
05/06/2021 16:31:16

It was a pleasure mate, really enjoyed the day, anytime you need to borrow a mill! Richard is being modest about the drilling, it was tough going!! this morning a penny dropped when I remembered that I had not stiffened up the Y axis with the table lock, hence the chatter! My bad!!

Phil

Edited By Phil Whitley on 05/06/2021 16:36:58

Thread: Ebay Chancers
05/06/2021 16:23:47

I have been attending auctions for many years, I gave up when they went online, as there were few bargains to be had when you are bidding against the rest of the world! we used to play "spot the "more than retail" purchase!, there were generally several at every auction!!

Phil

05/06/2021 15:14:39

A short week due to bank holiday, but lots crammed in to this video, some bench repairs, a homelite strimmer, a karcher K2 pressure wash, and then theres the oil tank swap up at Keiths, replacing the top bearing in the Harrison mill vertical head, and then Richard Kirkman arrives to make a T nut for the topslide of his Colchester Student in order to fit a Quick change toolpost! all these jobs in only four days! A busy week, and lots of fun was had by all!

Phil, Summer at least in East Yorkshire, but the monsoon is coming!

29/05/2021 18:35:18

I get the trycicle forks Tigged up, but not without problems, the metal is very dirty, and also I didnt notice that the argon was running low, so that probably didn't help, but I could see black nasties bubbling out of the old forgings, not surprising, but we persevered and got there in the end, and then back to the tidy up, which is going really well and will soon be finished, Once I have filtered out the sdrap, and the rubbish, it is on to selling of what I don't need!

Phil, bathed in sunshine in East Yorkshire!

26/05/2021 22:23:14
I get the jockey pulley mechanism for the grass deck drive finshed, and really that is the end of the Toro project, apart from paint, alternator bearings, and an annoying oil leak from the sump plug, Will this project never end! Then on Wednesday, Andy comes over fot the day and we start the "antique" trycicle build! Curioser and curioser!!
Phil, The rain has got colder in East Yorkshire
22/05/2021 16:44:30
Hi all, I was ill Monday/Tuesday with post covid jab flu, so it is a short week this week! Managed to get the jockey pulley mechanism built and working, as usual there were interruptions, and little jobs to fit in between, but I just have a handle to fit to the top of the operating arm, and a gate for the lever, and tis done! I also fail miserably at mig weld filming!, I will go back to the old method, which worked well!
Phil, enduring the late spring hail and ice storms in East Yorkshire
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest