By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Whitley

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Whitley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
16/10/2021 16:26:24
Fordson E1A major, Rebuild, I get the tractor running and wash it down outside, then back in the workshop, back wheels and mudguards off, and start on the final frontier, the respray!
Phil, In warm and Atumnal East Yorkshire
09/10/2021 16:15:17
Fordson E1A major Rebuild. So we get more paint on, in order to fit the seat, and the radiator, and then find that despite all my efforts, new Dynamo refuses to output a single volt, even though I have polarised it and it is brand new!, then I go to change the fuel filter, and find that there isnt an element in it! Things can only get better....I hope. Still it did start and run perfectly, so cleaning the bowl out and putting a filter in it can only make it better!
Phil, in a Glorious Indian Summer in East Yorkshire
02/10/2021 16:05:28
Fordson E1A major, rebuilding the drag link, refitting the wheel;s, rebuilding the horn, and paint on Friday so it has the weekend fror drying. I also get the tea room sink plumbed in, and the worktop fixed down!
Phil, in wet and windy East Yorkshire.
25/09/2021 16:22:46
Fordson Major rebuild, finishing off the steering swivels/king pins, and the track rod and drag link, and Richard turns up with my kitchen unit so I spend a couple of days fitting kitchens and plumbing! YUK. but I plough on and get it more or less finished. It will really make a difference to be able to wash the cups and fill the kettle in the same room where I make tea!
It's still warm and sunny in East Yorkshire!
Phil
18/09/2021 15:19:11
Fordson E1A major, Only one video this week chaps, because we did a "poo" run on Moday afternoon, and the workshop power was off on Wednesday! I get the wheels finished in two coats of primer each, and then onto the kingpins/steering swivels. I put the extra grease slot on the RHS and then start the LHS, but find when I get the nuts off the bolts, the bolts are seized in the axle, It all makes life interesting, and I get it all in bits by Friday, and show the process of fitting the kingpins to the new bushes if you don't have the factory reamer available! (Video scheduled for release at 4pm GMT)
Phil, Warm and wet in East Yorkshire
11/09/2021 18:50:52

Fordson E1A major rebuild Part 17 strip and rebuild of the front steering and kingpins (steering swivels) It is not pretty, but all is repairable! luckily the parts I do need are all available, and not expensive, which is amazing for a 1955 tractor!! Part 18, out now at https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos

Phil, In humid and hot East Yorkshire!!

04/09/2021 18:55:39

Fordson Major Steering box strip and rebuild. Parts 15&16. 1955 E1A Fordson Diesel Major. In Part 16, out now, I finsh the steering box and refit it to the tractor, and get some paint on! Part 16 out now at https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos

Phil, in definitely autumnal East Yorkshire

28/08/2021 17:02:24

Fordson Major Rebuild part 13, we clean out the top cover, refit the piston, cylinder and valve block, and refit it to the tractor, along with the PTO gearbox and the PTO shaft, and quite suddenly, it is a who;e tractor again.....more or less!! Part 14, out now at **LINK**
Phil, Dull all week, but a warm and sunny Saturday in East Yorkshire

Thread: Interfering with fits?
25/08/2021 18:31:10

Result!!

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
23/08/2021 17:47:57

Stunning shot Neil!!

Phil

21/08/2021 18:38:21
Fordson Major rebuild parts 11 and 12.
Rebuilding the hydraulic pump for the Fordson Major E1A. Not hard, but cleanliness and an O ring kit are essential, and patience, quite a bit of patience! Hydralic pump and most ancilliaries get refitted, and I add a hot gunk parts washer to my wish list! Part 12 available now at https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos Phil,
August is the new September in the East York Shire!
Thread: Clinging to the Past
20/08/2021 17:47:47
Posted by Brian G on 20/08/2021 16:10:20:
Posted by Phil Whitley on 20/08/2021 15:15:18:

... Fuses ALWAYS fail safe!

MCBs have one advantage, it isn't easy for somebody to accidentally (or deliberately) uprate them when resetting after a trip. I can't be the only person to have seen the wrong size fusewire in a box and I know of one box that contained brass bar instead of a cartridge.

Rather than go backward, would it be possible to put a non-replaceable but slower blowing fuse inside each MCB/RCBO so that if they fail to trip, the fuse cuts the power and disables the faulty device?

Brian G

Yes! that is exactly what I am suggesting, keep the MCB/RCD, but have a fuse as well protecting each circuit. Use different sized cartridge fuses so the wrong rating physically will not fit! If a fault occurs now, and an mcb/rcd fails to trip , the next in line protection is the cutout fuse, usually 100amp, which is partially why they catch fire! That and the fact that some bright spark decided it would be ok to make them for ordinary inflammable plastic instead of non flammable phenolic like the older Wylex/Tamlex type of Consumer unit. It is not rocket science, but it seems to be too complex a problem for the IET to solve!

Phil

20/08/2021 15:15:18

In my field of electrical engineering, the RCD and MCB and its variants have almost completely ousted the fuse as protection for final sub circuits. Strangely, neither of these devices fails safe and both are electro mechanical devices, containing many electronic components of dubious quality and lifespan, which, the old IEE regulations used to clearly say must never be used as a SOLE means of protection for a final sub circuit.

Today, the old regulations, made by experienced engineers, have been superceded by the new IET regulations, made by equipment manufacturers, and university graduates with no experience whatever. The consumer unit fire, which in my 40 odd years in the trade was completely unheard of, is now becoming so commonplace that the IET has reintroduced metalclad consumer units, and insisted that all incoming cables be sealed with intumescent mastic in order to contain the flames, as they seem to have decided that it is easier than correcting the root cause, which is partly to do with the use of the MCB/RCD as sole means of protection, and partly to do with the poorly made clamp style terminations in the MCB's and consumer units.

The Electrical industry has been going backwards since we started "harmonisation" with Europe, which at the time had atrocious electrical safety standards , and now we are out, it would be a good time to go back to sensible wire colours, and back up the MCB/RCD with an appropriatey rated fuse, and scrap the IET regs as not fit for purpose! Fuses ALWAYS fail safe!

Thread: Interfering with fits?
19/08/2021 15:44:37

Looking good Richard!!

Phil

14/08/2021 15:55:42

Work on the Fordson Major E1A continues. I bite the bullet and remove the PTO gearbox, and it is a good thing, because both it and the gearbox were full of black sludge, everything gets a good powerwashing out and we use the weldanuton technique to get a sheared bolt out! I put on overalls, and elbow length gloves!, it was hot, but it kept me more or less clean! Part 10 out now at https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos

Phil, Some rain, some shine, in the East York Shire!

07/08/2021 19:43:19

Parts 7&8

Fordson Major rebuild, the hydraulics and rear transmission case. I removed the top cover, and realised there was 3" depth of black sludge in the bottom of the transmission case, and this had remained after 30 litres of "oil" was drained off! I set on cleaning it with kerosene, and by the ends of day one I was beginning to see the castings, and the unmarked gears etc. Thankfully there seems to be no grit or metal in the sludge, as the fordson does have a good filter, and two magnetic plugs before the pump! We have a wander in the field, and get the 2cv tractor up there.....eventually!

Phil, thunderstorms and a wet start to the Harvest, in the East York Shire!

07/08/2021 19:40:14

Hi Robert, That is more or less what is going to happen, if you can still get TUO! It is very confusing, all the internet info says you must use straight mineral oils for all the compartments, no addatives! not even detergent in the engine oil! The engine is straight 40 mineral, the gearbox is straight 90 mineral, no hypoid or EP. Originally Fordson specified an 80 or 90 weight oil for the rear transmission which is also the hydraulic reservoir, but then decided later that straight 30 or 40 (depending on whos account you read) could be used in the transmission case/hydraulics, so I think I will go for 40 in the engine and transmission/hydraulics and 90 in the gearbox!

Phil

Thread: Use Chequer (Tread) Plate as Roofing Sheet?
05/08/2021 20:01:54

I would get used or reject box profile sheeting with 50mm insulation, cheaper for the size than the alloy, goes on quick and its fit and forget! Look on ebay!

Phil

01/08/2021 16:28:11

I appear not to have posted this one, sorry to have missed it out!!

The Fordson Major project. The second half of the week, I get more painting done, and continue with the recalcitrant sheared bolt removal, it may get drilled yet, but I will get the hole in the centre! Next attempt I will use the 3phase extension to bring the tig into the main workshop, mig another nut onto the broken stud, then heat the little lump in the casting where the bolt is with the tig torch! At least we are going forwards not backwards!

Phil, Cloudy, humid, and waitng for the ww2 bomb to go off in Goole, East Yorkshire,

01/08/2021 15:44:37

I work on the air filter and pre cleaner, fix the dodgy handbrake, which has been a pain since I bought this tractor , and work towards the three point linkage removal, remove the tow hitch and link arms, and start to free them all off using the dreaded Blowlamp of death, alternately known as the Flamefast Brazing hearth! In part 6 (out now!) We continue with the air cleaner get the hydralic/transmission drained and the filter out, what a mess!!

Phil, Some rain, some shine, in the East York Shire!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest