By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Whitley

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Whitley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1P 240V Lafert Motor In Colchester Student Lathe - Wiring Help
18/01/2020 15:50:35

I don't see anything wrong with the current readings, the amps marked on the motor are the full load amps, often abreviated to FLA, so you would expect it to draw much less off load. Get it on and make some swarf!

Phil

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
17/01/2020 15:43:37

Hi Guys, part 3 of the workshop rebuild series, actually in the workshop itself. Still quite intensive, but not as difficult or time consuming as the Church lane end. Enjoy, like, subscribe, and be amazed that I actually completed it without having a complete meltdown!!

**LINK**

Thread: Does solder seep into copper plate ?
16/01/2020 14:07:41
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 16/01/2020 13:48:52:

Yes soldering does result in alloying between the solder and the surfaces of items being joined.

Agreed! we were taught at Tech that soldering and brazing were forms of "surface alloying"

Thread: Colchester rescue.
12/01/2020 15:29:06

Were they by any chance moving it with a fork lift?

11/01/2020 15:55:01

Hi Guys, below is part 2 of my workshop rebuild, the interior of the "Chuch lane end", no video this week as I have been off with sinusitis, a thumping head and a stiff neck, but I am determined to go back next week, so it will probably snow!! like, subscribe and enjoy, any comments and questions welcome!

Phil

East Yorkshire

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/01/2020 16:00:22

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/01/2020 16:03:28

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/01/2020 16:04:52

Thread: Electric motor ratings
08/01/2020 19:22:42

Hi Gazz,

Beware the can of worms that is kW ratings of motors. In an electrical machine, Watts are dissipated, and the amount is known as the Wattage of the motor , heater or machine. The rule of thumb for motors is that 1hp= 746 watts, but a motor that dissipates 746 watts will not produce 1hp at the shaft unless it is 100% efficient, now most motors can get into the high 80's, and even the low 90's of % eff, and this uncovers an interesting bit of kidology on the part of the manufacturers. Either they are over rating their motors output by claiming 100% efficiency, or they are marking the motors with less wattage than they actually dissipate. The only way you could sort this anomaly of marking is to test the motor running under load, and see what real world results you get! If someone marks a motor 1 Hp, then they are claiming a known power output at the shaft, but if they rate it as 746 Watts It cannot produce 1Hp because of friction, fan losses, and watts dissipated as heat rather than torque. Chinese motors are fairly inneficient, and also noisy because of poor layering in the windings, loose laminations, and even loose winding cores inside the body of the motor. Noise is also watts dissipated as something other than torque. Hope this answers your questions. The maths only produces a theoretical answer!

Phil

East Yorkshire

Edited By Phil Whitley on 08/01/2020 19:24:30

07/01/2020 19:56:38
https://youtu.be/j6-ErhZiYDw
Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
04/01/2020 13:39:20

Read the data sheet for Sigmafast 20, good gear, that will do the job! I had a 5ltr of yellow zinc chromate primer which lasted for years, it is long gone, but some of the things I painted with it are still yellow and rust free after all these years!

03/01/2020 19:27:09

JasonB, tried what you suggested, typed the blurb, opened the you tube box, put the url in it by copy and pasting straight from youtube, and it didnt work! Could this be a firefox problem

03/01/2020 19:22:23

Hi Guys, part 1 of my workshop rebuild slideshow, I will be putting more up in between videos, and I am back at the workshop from Monday, so expect a video next friday If I can get something interesting done. Monday I will be back out to fit new hoses to the showerpump, as the old ones were leaking, and then seeing if we can solve the other problems Thanks for watching, like, and subscribe of you want, but most of all Enjoy!
Phil
East Yorkshire.

https://youtu.be/j6-ErhZiYDw

Edited By Phil Whitley on 03/01/2020 19:23:49

Edited By Phil Whitley on 03/01/2020 19:24:54

02/01/2020 19:14:51

Red lead is good, and tractol is oil resistant once it has had a week or so to cure, just make sure the tank is clean and dry before you start, as I said, get it hot eith a hot air gun to get rid of any moisture and oil residue. should be fine. I do tend to go a bit belt and braces on these jobs! Good luck with the exams, the country needs good engineers!!

Phil

02/01/2020 17:06:41

Hi Richard, you can get this https://www.paragonpaints.co.uk/paragon-two-pack-etch-primer.html online, or try for a local supplier, there should be someone who sprays cars in darlington, or supplies the trade. Whateve you use, paint up above the "waterline, to keep the edge of the paint in fresh air! You can use this on any bare metal including aluminium, and it wont come off! Not allowed in the garage over Christmas? that is a clear denial of your fundamental human rights! Also seems to apply to me!

Phil.

Edited By Phil Whitley on 02/01/2020 17:08:21

Thread: Cracked cross slide
29/12/2019 19:23:42

Really good repair, like it!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 29/12/2019 19:23:58

Thread: CovMac Lathes
29/12/2019 19:14:14

Interesting John, although this one looks to have been modified for some particular purpose, note the big pulley in the quick change box. That is the 13" geared head model, like mine!

Phil

Thread: Any real risks corrosion etc combining aluminium and steel
28/12/2019 18:51:03

clean and oil the table before you fit it= no problem!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 28/12/2019 18:52:43

28/12/2019 16:28:52

Astom Martin used to use aluminium skins rolled and folded onto a steel tub chassis, wherever steel and aluminium touch, they use a cotton cloth soaked in what appears to be something like Waxoyl or Anchor wax, wrapped around the edge, and then the aluminium is clenched onto the steel like the edges of a door skin. Something like Sylglass tape would also work, if you can still get it. Steel bolts into aluminium can be treated with waxoyl, Densogrease or the silver version of Coppaslip grease, which is not, as far as I can remember called Allyslip! The whole purpose of seperating dissimilar metals in this way is to stop the ingress of water, which becomes an electrolyte between the dissimilar metals, and thus creates a battery, with the resultant electrolytic corrosion. Regardless of the materials, if they are dissimilar, a moisture resistant barrier will minimise the problem. It is like putting vaseline on battery terminals!

Phil

27/12/2019 19:57:49

Thanks jasonB, I will try that next time!!

Thread: why am I having a problem with youtube links?
27/12/2019 18:55:42

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong , and it is only on this particular forum!! Every friday for the past few months I upload a new workshop video to "my week this week, my workshop videos" in "the tea room". I write a short introduction, put in the link which youtube generates for me, and add it to all the forums I participate in, and it all works like clockwork, except on this forum! The problem is, there is no consistency in the way it doesnt work. It usually posts up the text of the link as text, but not in blue, and not clickable. Sometimes it works immediately, and posts up the link as **LINK** in blue, clickable and working, and sometimes it posts up the link as text, but blue clickable and working, but it usually requires multiple attempts, and it will suddenly work without me (consciously) making any changes to the format. Sometimes the mods jump in and say "fixed the link for you" but HOW? Is it me, or is it a bit of reluctant code? Any help appreciated!

Phil

East Yorkshire

27/12/2019 18:20:40

Part 2 of the heater build and a couple of videos at the end of a walk in the rain with my daughter, including gratuitous squirrel content, and lots of roaring water! watch, subscribe, like and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=somnL0Lih58

Edited By Phil Whitley on 27/12/2019 18:35:45

Edited By Phil Whitley on 27/12/2019 18:37:16

Edited By JasonB on 27/12/2019 19:22:39

24/12/2019 13:02:34

Richard, there are various types of paint that are called "two pack", because they are a resin and hardener system where you add a set amount of hardener to paint just before use, then mix and apply by brush or spray, they self harden to a very tough water and oil proof finish. I would reccomend a two pack etch primer that will etch into and bond to the metal. Alternately, you could dry it out and give the whole tank a coat or two of glassfibre resin + hardener, which would seal any minor leaks and form a tank within a tank! Mine was not leaking so I just cleaned ot out and gave it a couple of coats of red lead like the original finish, it seems ok, but I dont know how it will last long term. Colchesters red lead from the early sixties is bound to be a lot better quality than my modern "Farm oxide" which has had all the good stuff removed for Elfin Safety reasons!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 24/12/2019 13:03:21

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest