By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Churchill Cub lathe
29/09/2020 18:40:38

Brian

It is best to send a Message Member (see the menu line at bottom of messages) note with any such information, trawlers then have no chance of getting your email address.

Emgee

Thread: Ideal Rotary Table size
29/09/2020 11:18:58

Hi Keith

I believe the size depends on the dimensions of the work to be fixed to the table, if you intend to be making items larger than 4" then a 5" table will be needed to attach fixings.

Another consideration is the height to the table in a horizontal mode, too high may restrict the spindle to table dimension so preventing work on some larger pieces of work, also even less workspace when a chuck is fitted on the table.

Emgee

Thread: Quality Problems With the Sieg sx2.7
28/09/2020 10:17:36

ChrisB stated: A chuck's radial runout should not make any difference in the tram readings, but if there's any angular runout (wobble) in the chuck jaws you will get errors, especially when using a swing rod the size the OP is using.

I agree with this so if there is any runout measured with a DTI it needs to be established if it is radial or angular, if radial then using the longer bar will magnify any tramming error.

If angular rotate the chuck so the high/low points are aligned in the Y axis and set the bar along the X axis, this will allow some readings to be taken that will give an idea to the amount of lean over of the head/spindle.

Emgee

Thread: Ways to use your calipers
28/09/2020 09:08:35
Posted by Hopper on 28/09/2020 08:01:45:

Also, a cool trick to measure the centre distance between two holes of the same size:

Measure the diameter of one hole using the inside jaws and hit the zero button with the jaws still in that position.

Then measure the distance between the closest edges of the two holes by sticking the outside jaws down in the two holes. The reading on the scale is the centre distance.

After zeroing the caliper at the hole diameter using the inside jaws I then use the inside jaws to measure the distance between the 2 holes outside diameters to provide the centre distance between holes.

Emgee

edit for clarity

Edited By Emgee on 28/09/2020 09:10:23

Thread: Ideal Dimensions of Vice Clamps
27/09/2020 00:33:02

Vic

Certainly going to be secured to the table with those clamps and they are not obtrusive.

Emgee

Thread: Horizontal hit and miss engine
26/09/2020 22:12:31

Hi Andy

That looks good and runs exceptionally well, is it just on fuel vapour ?

Emgee

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
25/09/2020 23:39:17

Some good news from Lars and the chief at Fusion 360 in a short video, now agreed step files can still be exported as are some other types.

Video here: **LINK**

Emgee

Thread: Quality Problems With the Sieg sx2.7
25/09/2020 18:02:40

Ketan

You make some very valid points re test readings etc but without knowledge of the posters experience/qualification you question his method of testing and assembly expertise, better to find out more about the person before questioning his ability IMO.

Emgee

Thread: Brook/Crompton 1994 connections
25/09/2020 17:42:27

Peter

Not the full story but you will find the start winding has blue and yellow ends connected at S and possibly Z2.

Run winding on U1 and U2

The bare links are for connecting Live to the start winding and the other bare link is connecting the start winding to Neutral.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 25/09/2020 17:44:43

Thread: variable speed
25/09/2020 17:33:50

Sandy

Motor type and voltage will be needed, also output power of the motor.

Emgee

Thread: Climb Milling any implications
25/09/2020 12:47:07

Chris

As you state always be aware of the dangers if and when climb milling, if using the side of the cutter for a light finishing pass it is not so much the depth of cut that causes the problems but the amount of backlash that can be taken if the cutter grabs the work, taking very light cuts with all unused axis locks on and some drag applied to the moving axis you should be able to climb mill without problems, try on some scrap so you are familiar with the operation.

Emgee

Thread: Anyone recognise these.
24/09/2020 18:56:15

The 2 on the left could be single point milling cutters.

Emgee

24/09/2020 15:05:10

Chris

My original comment was that they were both wrong because of the direction of cutter and relationship with the arrows that I mistakenly took as cutter movement, not workpiece movement.

The video link I uploaded starts with climb milling and then moves to back of the work to conventional milling.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 24/09/2020 15:09:05

Thread: Mounting a collet chuck.
24/09/2020 14:51:19

Andy

You may be able to buy an ER chuck backplate with a recess the same diameter as the spigot on your D1-3 chuck backplate, if not you need to turn the spigot diameter to suit the ER backplate recess.
Std sizes are 55, 72 and 95mm diameter recesses but others may be available.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 24/09/2020 14:54:02

24/09/2020 12:56:49
Posted by John Haine on 24/09/2020 12:31:44:

As to where to start, often it depends on where the chips will go! I prefer to mill in a direction where they fly off to the left/back rather than all over me!

John

Surprised you don't have chip guards fitted, they do save a lot of floor sweeping.

Emgee

24/09/2020 12:54:56
Posted by JasonB on 24/09/2020 12:25:21:

Emgee the straight arrows are the direction of the work, compare my video on previous page with what's shown in the drawings and it's conventional. See the text that goes with it

Edited By JasonB on 24/09/2020 12:28:39

Reading the text below the picture is clearly something I didn't do, unfortunately the text is not visible in the search page shot.
Clearly changing from tool movement to work movement turns it around.

Emgee

24/09/2020 12:20:13
Posted by JasonB on 24/09/2020 11:30:14:

Chris, the first hit on dave's web search gives a good image of cutter in relation to each sid eof work for external cutting.

These are the drawings I commented on in my post, I believe they are giving the wrong information, Standard direction gives Climb milling if the view is from above.

Emgee

23/09/2020 15:19:59
Posted by JA on 23/09/2020 15:00:08:

In the apprentice workshop I was tought never to climb except on materials that work hardened. I have remained faithful to that teaching.

During a previous discussion, on this forum, about climb milling I ask a couple of friends who had worked in tool rooms whether they had climb milled. The reply, in both cases, was never.

I think you would need a large and very rigid machine to climb mill anything.

JA

I currently use an Emco F1 cnc mill equipped with ballscrews on all axis and always use climb milling so small mills can climb mill without the problems sometimes experienced.
Link below shows climb milling 6082T6 aluminium with a 12mm 4f HSS endmill

Emgee

https://youtu.be/udDhZlu53e0

Edited By Emgee on 23/09/2020 15:23:37

23/09/2020 15:11:50

Plenty of clear descriptions on this page but the cnccookbooks has it the wrong way round in their picture, so beware.

**LINK**

Emgee

Thread: Advice required
22/09/2020 11:11:06

As the internal radius geometry is not critical could a 60 deg angle be cut on the end of the bore, this could be achieved with a BS0 centre drill. because of the very small wall thickness the tool would only need touching lightly on the rotating tube, finishing to a smooth surface with your chosen method.

Emgee

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest