By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tapping drill size
17/10/2019 13:18:55

Martin

The tapping drill size for metric fixings can be calculated simply by deducting the pitch from the diameter.

The difference in tapping drill sizes you have found may be due to different pitches, an M8x1.25 requires a tapping drill of 6.75mm where an M8x0.75 needs 7.25mm.

Emgee

Thread: Surface Mount Switch
16/10/2019 23:37:32
Posted by Colin Wilks on 16/10/2019 12:58:26:

Cracked it. Googling "enclosure junction box" produces what I am after.

Regarding a direct on line motor starter with a separate emergency stop, this makes sense as it protects against overload and allows me to position the stop switch in the most appropriate position, but is this technology compatible with my Crompton Parkinson 240v motor which uses a condenser to start via a centrifugal switch?

Overload size depends on the motor FLC, usually stamped/printed on the motor plate.
This is listed in Classifieds.

telemecanique dol 240v coil 4a ol.jpg

Edited By Emgee on 16/10/2019 23:38:41

Thread: Toolpost drill mill attachment
16/10/2019 21:18:13

John, at 10,000 revs perhaps the toothed belt drive system is contributing to the vibration issue.

Emgee

Thread: Fusion 360 Licence Changes
16/10/2019 17:10:18

Hi Hans, think you missed the date of Neil's post, sept 2018.

Emgee

Thread: Surface Mount Switch
16/10/2019 12:36:49
Posted by Lambton on 16/10/2019 11:49:06:

To do the job properly you should consider fitting a Direct online motor starter + E stop as this set up would provide protection for motor should it become overloaded.

Eric

+1 for Eric's suggestion

Emgee

Thread: Nalon Viper
16/10/2019 09:19:26

Hi Kiwi Bloke

7075 is an excellent material with a better spec than either 6061 or 6082 but at greater cost and not so widely available.

Emgee

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
16/10/2019 09:06:18

Hi Richard, I use very similar method to you but perhaps not as much angle, you have clearly attained the "feel" and your gauges must be working correctly if you get consistent results.

Emgee

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
13/10/2019 23:11:44

Charles

I bought a set of ER25 2-16mm in Dec 2018 for £14.99 from worldtrade100

I needed an additional 16mm at the time and saw these when searching, used it for a 4f carbide cutter roughing out some aluminium, worked OK.
Have checked some other sizes and they appear to be as accurate as indicated in the listing.

Emgee

Thread: Nalon Viper
13/10/2019 18:15:28
Posted by Graham Williams 11 on 13/10/2019 17:20:28:

Just another question then. Was 6082, or same spec different identifier, not available or not readily available when the Viper was designed to 'take-on' the best engines of the day, presuming that's the Olivers and ETAs.

Cheers

GW

Graham, Olivers, ETA's and many other top performance motors of that era had castings for the case which usually provided good support for the running components.

As others have said IMO 6082T6 has the strength you need for the engine mentioned but if you want something with a better spec try 2014A (HE15), usually available at M-metals. Cost of this will be more than either of the other options.

Emgee

Thread: Plinth size?
13/10/2019 11:19:13

Bill, the number and size of the wording on the brass plaque will determine the size required so best start with that and then you may be able to fit that adjacent to the plane profile without adding too much more area.

Emgee

Thread: Changing internet providers
11/10/2019 19:28:54

Hi Douglas

Pretty sure you will be able to find a much better deal by moving, you don't say if you are on fibre but you are certainly paying fibre rates.

Emgee

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
11/10/2019 16:30:47

Dave

I believe your'e a bit off the mark with a 5 ohm earthing point, that's about 10 times what you would expect from the worst case incoming supply, either PME or sheath earthing.

Of course when using an earth electrode as the installation earth it can and will be many times greater but the system shock protection will be provided by an RCCB (Residual current circuit breaker)

Emgee

Thread: Changing internet providers
11/10/2019 16:16:40

I changed to a gmail address a long time ago exactly for the same reason, it's available across devices and providers.

Emgee

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
11/10/2019 12:16:55

Colin, you say the electrician is sorting out the house installation but earlier it was stated the lathe is in the workshop, is the electrician now going to treat the workshop as a separate installation with it's own supply, distribution unit and earthing arrangement ?

Emgee

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
09/10/2019 11:04:13

mjj

Did you use ground bars to measure over to obtain the dovetail widths ?

Design concept is good with dovetailed column with tapered gib but if you have .005" difference on width top to bottom then the gib adjustment will only be correct at the point it is adjusted at.

Like others have said I also would have put the cut on with fine feed with the column locked, especially on that machine as the head down handle is placed at the very top of the machine.

Finding ways around any machine defect doesn't help very much with any warranty claim but does highlight the fact that when receiving a new machine it should be checked thoroughly to find any such problems that can be reported immediately to the supplier.
If you are a newcomer to machining the above may not be possible so seek help from an experienced person.

"Buying a milling machine from Warco.
Every milling machine we supply is fully checked and tested by a member of our qualified team, and is supplied with an individual accuracy test report.
As with everything bought new from us, these machines are fully guaranteed"

Above para from Warco's site, did you get an accuracy report ?

I believe if you contact the supplier they will be helpful.

Emgee

Thread: Creating Heat for Hardening
08/10/2019 09:28:03

Martin

If the tools were very cheap perhaps the steel the chisels are made from is not suitable for through hardening by heating and quenching, only method would be to case harden if that is the case.

Emgee

Thread: Recomend me a slitting saw to cut these fins
07/10/2019 16:03:18
Posted by Emgee on 07/10/2019 14:42:35:

Hi David

Keep it lubricated with whatever you normally use on aluminium and if good quality HSS it will remain in good cutting order on most alloys. exception would be high silicone content types.

just spotted the spelling error, no "e" in silicon.

Emgee

07/10/2019 14:42:35

Hi David

Keep it lubricated with whatever you normally use on aluminium and if good quality HSS it will remain in good cutting order on most alloys. exception would be high silicone content types.
Flood or mist is sure to keep the gullets clear

Emgee

Thread: End mill for EN16
06/10/2019 23:07:10

Hi Andrew

You should get more useful life from carbide tooling on that material, if you can get the correct inserts for the Glanze tool that would be equally as good. Make sure the chips are blown away from the cut so they don't interfere with the process.

Emgee

Thread: UK stepper motor supplier
06/10/2019 12:26:24
post removed

Edited By Emgee on 06/10/2019 12:28:42

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest