By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Glue du jour
21/01/2020 17:31:58

Bob

As the pin is likely to be undersize and the reamed hole oversize if you don't knurl the pin as suggested you will have to provide means to keep the pin square with the plate while the Loctite or glue you use cures.
If using a tapered nose hand reamer you could leave part of the hole slightly undersize to give the pin support.

Emgee

Thread: Arc Euro Trade website down
20/01/2020 10:46:45

This will be the time when those catalogues pay for themselves.

Emgee

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
19/01/2020 23:30:04

I remember going to an engineering show a good while ago at Olympia, wasn't that the ME exhibition ?

Emgee

Thread: Reamer specifications ?
19/01/2020 20:08:57

Have a look here for starters

**LINK**

Emgee

Thread: Why is my silver steel undersize
18/01/2020 19:21:20

I bought some Stubbs ss recently in 10mm and 5mm, both sizes were within quoted tolerance for ss in those sizes, that is +0 -.015mm
I don't have calibrated measuring instruments but when needed have some decent slips for checking the readings obtained.

The problem with fits is that H7 will give oversize and so the less than full diameter for the spindles will result in running clearance greater than required.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 18/01/2020 19:25:10

Thread: 4x6 bandsaw
18/01/2020 17:24:50

Hi Steve

My 6x4 was running partly off the wheels and started to cut the blade guard/shield below the wheels, when checking it was the centre fixing screw loose that was holding the non-driven wheel assembly to the frame, tightened that and all was well again.

Emgee

Thread: Carbide insert holders
16/01/2020 10:51:23

I use a 12x12 holder as in the link above but with 2mm wide inserts, no problems so far in use even with the inserts provided when using on EN8.

Emgee

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
15/01/2020 12:49:42
Posted by Dave Halford on 15/01/2020 11:48:15:

Back up your files on a stick/external drive and keep them separate to the PC then if you get hit by ransom ware all you need to do is reload everything.

This maybe OK if the ransomware hasn't prevented or changed installed programs as well as any other files.
Perhaps it would now be wise to make a hard disc clone which could be re-installed on a reformatted drive to ensure all stored programs functioned after any malware actions.

Emgee

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 fixed steady
13/01/2020 23:13:57

Hi Diogenes

That steady bears the MESAS logo who were a Model Engineering Supplies and Services firm based up north so perhaps the steady was built from 1 of their kits.

Emgee

Thread: Welder Inrush Current
12/01/2020 21:35:27

Hi Bill

I would advise to remove the existing garage supply from the consumer unit and fit a SP&N Switch fuse with a 63A BS88 fuse for protection supplied direct from the incoming supply tails.
This will provide means to isolate the garage supply and lock it off for maintenance if required and overcome any problem associated with tripping the house consumer unit.

Then as suggested uprate the mcb supply to the welder to a D type.

Emgee

Thread: Colchester Bantam Lathe
11/01/2020 16:55:56

Hi Nick

Some pictures of the parts with the 3 coils may help identify what they are for, perhaps they are not parts for your Bantam.

The original starting and stopping arrangement does have issues if not set up correctly but has the bonus of providing almost instant arrest of the chuck and any material being held in it if the need arises.

The controls shown in Ian's picture are fine but for me they would not be within reach if I was cranking a long drill or reamer into the work using the tailstock so unable to stop the machine in an emergency, unless there is a stop button/switch not in shot.

Emgee

Thread: Sent lathe back
10/01/2020 18:48:44

Derek, seems you had a bad experience with the lathe from Warco but they did do the right thing by refunding your money.

Not sure you will have a much better experience with an Emcomat SL lathe, they are pretty lightly built so prone to flexing if not treating them with a lot of care.
They are very capable tools but only for fairly light work IMO, I do own and use one, it has loads of attachments that don't get used often.

Emgee

Thread: VFD Question
09/01/2020 10:46:46

I think what Noel is speaking of is a 480v AC supply as taken to many farms in the area in previous years, 2 x 240v lines in with 480v between lines, not the usual 415V AC between phases.
It was used so large motors could be started and run more efficiently than when using a single phase 240v supply.

Emgee

Thread: Kity Woodwork Machine Switch
07/01/2020 23:23:35

Clive, 7-10 is outside the flc of your motor, IMO best stay with the 5.5-8.0 Amp.

Emgee

Thread: Drilling hardened steel
07/01/2020 23:06:07

Andrew

Best to bite the bullet and pay for a spark erode job.

Emgee

07/01/2020 22:38:38

Clive, search for this item number: 331208499128

230v coil

5.5-8.0 A overload

Emgee

added details

Edited By Emgee on 07/01/2020 22:41:47

Thread: Stuck Chuck
07/01/2020 21:27:30

If the chuck mounting is the same as the adaptor/reducer then surely the adapter can be fitted from the front or back of the chuck as it is threaded same diameter for the 3/4" threaded length.

Emgee

Thread: Hello from Norfolk
07/01/2020 21:21:01

David

You hopefully will get it sorted in time for the Weeting Steam Rally, plenty of scale steam engines running around there.
I'm in King Lynn so not far from you but I am unable to offer any help with your request as I am not a steamer.

Emgee

07/01/2020 19:58:02

Clive, see spec below, make not shown so may be an import from China which could be bought for £30 on ebay.

• Adjustable overload protection: Order number 340192 for 6A to 8A overload (suits your motor)
  • Can be used with additional foot switches, interlocking micro switches or thermal overloads
  • 175mm high x 100mm wide x 130mm deep

Emgee

You will also need enclosed stop/start stations, number to suit your needs so factor those into the total cost.

Edited By Emgee on 07/01/2020 20:03:17

Thread: Looking to buy a better toolpost
05/01/2020 18:05:22

If you fit a couple of 6mm pins into the toolpost base and topslide as locators it will prevent the toolpost moving with heavy cuts.

Emgee

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest