By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
24/06/2019 13:06:17

Nice looking rolls, should do some good work.

Emgee

Thread: Historic Frogs
20/06/2019 16:46:47

Very low volume compared with a Peterborough Brick Co.

Emgee

Thread: Mill X axis
19/06/2019 12:47:19

Hi BobH

Stepper + driver + Arduino (or other controller) should do what you want, if driving always in the same direction when putting dimensioned cuts on backlash won't be an issue.
To achieve more power from a small stepper use a geared drive to the feedscrew.

Ballscrews are very reasonably priced now, as long as you can obtain one with a small enough ballnut then it may be possible to do a conversion.

Emgee

Thread: Stepper rating for Triac upgrade?
29/05/2019 14:20:29

Hi Mark, compare them with the size/power output of the originals, allow a little over that for the retrofit.
The sizes quoted seem to be more than adequate for the job but ensure you have working limits on all axis before use.

Emgee

Thread: Beginners question (sorry) - why I am breaking my small centre drills?
23/05/2019 21:26:36

Nigel

Any kind of pip after facing will push a small centre drill off centre and snap the pilot.

Emgee

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
22/05/2019 10:10:05
Posted by AdrianR on 21/05/2019 19:37:30:

Regarding tapping drill size. For M6 I have two books, one says 5.6mm the other 5.3mm. I am tapping a 19mm deep hole so chose the 5.6mm to reduce the thread percentage and make tapping easier. For relatively deep holes what percentage thread would you use?

Hi Adrian

For Metric threads tapping drill size deduct the pitch from the diameter, so for M6 x1 tapping drill is 5mm so perhaps the sizes you mention are for fine pitch threads.
I would not use less than 60% engagement especially in softer materials.

Emgee

20/05/2019 22:15:48

Check this video at 5 mins in to see what Andrew describes re swarf coming out as one ribbon per flute.

Emgee

**LINK**

Thread: indexible internal thread cutting tool
19/05/2019 23:11:00

Ian, be aware that you need the designated thread size for each insert as the crest form varies from the small to larger sizes, best to just buy the sizes as needed and you soon build up a number of common sizes, same info goes for different TPI inserts.

Emgee

19/05/2019 22:19:39

Looking at other inserts on the site I didn't see any part or full form tips, no doubt the insert you are using is a std 60 deg angle without crest forming, hence the sharp crests to the thread cut.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 19/05/2019 22:20:39

Thread: Electrics for a battery locomotive
19/05/2019 20:26:35

Tim, as Dave says the device advised will protect the controller but the motor current details are needed to perhaps provide sizing of fuse for each each motor to give protection from overloads.

Emgee

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
17/05/2019 21:51:40

Finished off making a few small parts, as an idea of size the threaded stud is M5 and M8, threaded holes are M3.

The studs are 316 stainless, the linkages are HE15.

Emgee

bb may 17 2019.jpg

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
15/05/2019 23:22:50

Hi Robin

Try reducing the spindle speed considerably and feed rate accordingly.
Perhaps there is a hard skin on the cast plate that would upset things a bit.

Emgee

Thread: EMCO Compact 5
11/05/2019 11:35:41

z+axis+gibstrips.jpgWilliam

If you are able to lift the saddle from the bed you may need to fit some new gib plates, or just remove and refit the existing ones by turning over end to end to use the unworn surface.
This will normally improve the performance of the lathe and is best to stand the lathe on end to gain access to the M5 socket caps retaining the gibs.

Did you get the chuck key ? if not a Jacobs K3 will fit if you turn the spigot to fit the chuck, also you need to extend the length to give working clearance.

I guess you know the chuck jaws are reversible, the relation of chuck jaws is the numbered sheet on the lathe headstock.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 11/05/2019 11:38:13

Thread: Bore micrometer
10/05/2019 09:53:19

Adam, the bore micrometer or vernier are set on a known size gauge ring before use to confirm the reading, the bore mic should be adjusted if needed and the external bezel on the vernier can be rotatad and locked to suit the dimension.

Emgee

Thread: How to wire a 3 phase reversing switch for Colchester Bantam mk1
08/05/2019 11:15:34

Richard, on my Bantam the operating lever you refer to acts as Start/Stop, direction of rotation depends on if the lever is moved up or down.

Emgee

Thread: T nut slot channel
07/05/2019 20:58:42

Chris, I find it difficult to understand why anyone would object to the use of a product designed for the intended purpose.

Emgee

Thread: Anglepoise Lamps & CFL/LED lamps
07/05/2019 10:11:22

Peter, would be much easier to source some 60w GLS lamps.

Emgee

Thread: 6" EME rotary table
05/05/2019 20:28:04

Looks good but unusual for the operating handle to be positioned on the left, I don't recall seeing that before.

Emgee

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
05/05/2019 10:33:09
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/05/2019 08:07:49:
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 05/05/2019 01:04:11:

In fact I'm only surprised we see very little PPE offered for sale on our exhibition trade-stands, or advertised in the model-engineering literature.

Arc Euro Trade is setting an excellent example

... see the advert towards top-right of this page.

MichaelG.

Michael, lost the Arc ad from my screen several days ago, still wondering why.

Perhaps the Badger is blocking it, must check.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 05/05/2019 10:34:26

Thread: Parting tool
04/05/2019 18:02:42

John, always easy to damage inserts by moving onto stationary work, with normal use they shouldn't fracture.

Emgee

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest