By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Center drills
09/04/2020 03:30:08

The pilot hole size is the determining factor, BS1 is small so suits shaft sizes 1/4" up. If you are carrying out heavy machining on larger diameters you will need to use the centre drill that offers the best support.
If using a smaller centre drill do make sure there is no pip and that the tailstock drill chuck is true in all directions or you will lose the pilot drill.

Emgee

Thread: Milling a profile - help with technique please
08/04/2020 10:29:06

Profiling cut with 6mm cutter at the start of this video, max spindle rpm of 2k limits the feedrate, using a slot drill makes it even worse but necessary for this application, material is 7075T6..

**LINK**

Emgee

Thread: Which suppliers are open for business?
07/04/2020 21:12:08

Tracy Tools doing postal as usual.

Thread: Milling a profile - help with technique please
07/04/2020 19:13:40

Hi Sarah

I always use a climb milling program and find it gives a better finish but that is only on 1 side of the slot, it is important to keep the chips clear and if there is any sign of pick-up on the tool a poor finish will result, just a spray of lubricant will help prevent pick-up.
Reducing DOC and feedrate will no doubt improve the finish, best try 1 change at a time to learn what works for your set-up.
Doing a second pass full depth on a different path will of course give an improvement, and as you say look on it as roughing and finishing passes.

Emgee

Thread: clarkson autolock 3mt
05/04/2020 17:37:15

Yes, Clarkson did make a very small Autolock with approx 1" diameter body and max cutter size of 1/4".

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 05/04/2020 17:38:56

Thread: Possible protection from Covid
03/04/2020 09:57:37

Didn't want to hijack any other posts so created a new thread.
The link takes you to a Youtube video showing how a garden cloche can be used to provide some protection when shopping.

https://youtu.be/a8Jo6_lArzk

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 03/04/2020 09:58:54

Thread: Boring tool
02/04/2020 11:29:21

Purchased my Dore Boring and Facing head kit from Ivan Law at the same time I picked up a set of castings for the Mk 2 Dore Westbury mill.

Yes Michael, gear built into the spindle drive pulley, could be engaged by movement of the pin that locked the geared pulley to the spindle, so long ago now this is open to discussion or correction.

Emgee

01/04/2020 23:27:51

Dore Westbury, built from a set of castings. Also had a facing facility but it looks like that's not been built on yours.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 01/04/2020 23:29:14

Thread: Coronavirus
01/04/2020 10:13:34

Hi RMA

Totally agree with all of the points you raise, seems we are still way behind the game especially with testing.

Emgee

Thread: Is this guy nuts, or sensible.
29/03/2020 11:04:04

He certainly has some good engineering ability and the will to carry out projects most would discard, good luck to him IMO he earns everything he is provided with and long may it continue.

Emgee

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
28/03/2020 10:35:24

With Privacy Badger enabled no top of page ad window showing.

Disable PB and the box appears with Chronos advert full size.

Enable PB and it shows no top ad window/box

Disable PB and the top window appears with a small icon top left when opened it's Model Engineering WS ad.

Enabling and disabling PB gives the same sequence as above so something strange happening, I am using Win10 with Chrome.

Emgee

Thread: shopmade tool cutter grinder attachment
28/03/2020 00:42:39

Smart work Celso.

Emgee

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
27/03/2020 23:42:52

With Privacy Badger Disabled I get the window at the top with just a small icon in the top left corner, have to click it to see it's the Model Engineer ad. Using Win10 and Chrome.

See the Machine DRO scrolling advert all the time.

Emgee

Thread: o-ring groove in plate
27/03/2020 19:12:36

If using a mill you could use a 20mm diam 2mm thick Woodruff cutter either with cnc or set-up on a rotary table.
You could of course also use the same cutting tool in the lathe with the plate mounted to a faceplate if you have enough swing.

Emgee

Thread: Piston Clearance ( Economy Engine )
25/03/2020 22:51:35

Malc, what type of engine is the Economy engine ?

Emgee

Thread: EMI from electric shavers etc
25/03/2020 00:31:38

Hi Sam

I think the problem is that nobody wants to give advice because of the possible poor outcome if they get it wrong, for me I am cautious on occasions and this is such a time.

Good luck with your search for some definitive information.

Emgee

Thread: vfd question
24/03/2020 21:07:06

Check this video at 10mins in, goes through the manual setting numbers. Looks like the VFD being discussed.

**LINK**

Emgee

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
24/03/2020 16:35:36

Could just run a neutral with the power supply and use 240v control.

Emgee

Thread: Fixing motor for Myford Ml7
24/03/2020 13:49:18

Perhaps the "wire in bad condition" was due to age of the rubber insulated flexible cable, the outer protection cracks badly over time, where the cable is terminated the rubber insulation on each conductor perishes and breaks down because of the reaction caused by the sulphur in the rubber and the tin coated conductors.

As Dave suggests it would be wise to get a 500v insulation test and earth continuity test carried out before use, also consider fitting a DOL starter to provide overload and no volt protection.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 24/03/2020 13:50:14

Thread: Coronavirus
23/03/2020 22:36:38

As said before on this forum I am still using whale oil for hardening steel components, gives a nice black finish and I don't find it necessary to temper cutting tools after hardening.

8e.jpg

Emgee

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest