By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electrical switch for a Myford ML7
18/04/2019 21:15:42

Anyone recognise the switch set-up shown in Peter's Album, more importantly where does the wire connect ?

Emgee

18/04/2019 14:32:02

Hi Peter, best take some pictures of the complete set-up and place in your album, details of the motor plate would also perhaps help, no point guessing what you have.

Emgee

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 13:12:03

For checking bores for taper or ovality I use these dial calipers, any out of truth can be immediately seen, if you need to know the dimension measure over the legs with a mic or caliper at the reading indicated in the bore, I normally use a digital caliper.
This pair were bought off ebay at very low cost ages ago.

Emgee

calipers 0.5 to 1.75.jpg

17/04/2019 08:34:20

dormer drill blanks 6.0 to 10.0 x .10mm.jpgHello Robin

David has described the best way to use telescopic bore gauges, I have a set of Mitutoyo which were bought second hand many moons ago, I find they give better accuracy than earlier posts, but then I have been using them for many years. I usually measure over the gauge with a digital vernier.
Another advantage of the tel gauge is it will indicate if the bore is bell mouthed by the different dimensions over the gauge.

Several methods of measuring bores in my photo album, drill blanks above are simple to use as gauging the hole if you don't need the precise dimension.

Emgeetelescopic gauges.jpg

Thread: Does a 1600rpm bantam have a single v belt?
14/04/2019 22:29:09

Correction, should be 1966 model, GB World Cup winning year.

Emgee

14/04/2019 21:14:18

Single belt on mine, a 1996 model.

Emgee

Thread: Knurling Tool for Mini Lathe
13/04/2019 12:53:34

Might help to choose a knurling tool if the maximum diameter that could be knurled was stated in the advert, not based just on shank size, poor information from suppliers.

Emgee

Thread: Myford ML10 lives again
12/04/2019 22:52:33

Hi Dave, nice job you did there.
Couldn't see any remote Stop in case you get caught up in the chuck or belt, perhaps it's at knee height ?

Emgee

Thread: mini turning
11/04/2019 18:18:10

Roger, if you only need a short length of 3mm diameter use a facing & turning tool which is ground to 45 deg angle to the lathe axis, either take 1 x 1mm DOC or a series of cuts to achieve the 3mm diameter, at the 1mm DOC you will have your 45 deg transition from 3-5mm.

Emgee

Thread: anealing piano wire
11/04/2019 10:33:51

Any modellers who started building model aircraft with the Keil Kraft flying scale rubber powered models will be aware that the simplest method to retain wheels on an axle is by soldering a cup washer each side of the wheel,
it always worked then so should now.

If the axle is cut to the correct length it makes for a very neat job, also best use pieces of paper as washers each side of the wheel before soldering to prevent any flux or solder tracking to the wheel, paper removed after soldering. Bazyle did suggest similar earlier.

Emgee

10/04/2019 17:48:55

Bazle, the junior hacksaw blades you have are much better than I have ever been able to buy, mine usually just skid off piano wire rather than cut.

Emgee

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
10/04/2019 17:34:27

My method is old hat but doesn't require special tools or programs, just enter the tool offset in the toolchange line in the program,

**LINK**

Emgee

Thread: anealing piano wire
10/04/2019 17:06:49

Dougie, another method would be to use a Dremel type tool with a grinding disc to cut a shallow groove around the wire close to the end and use an E clip.
It may be possible to use a propriety cap made for that purpose, these just push on the end of the wire and are available in a few sizes.

Emgee

Thread: edm machines
09/04/2019 13:39:50

An EDM design and build article appeared in the Strictly IC magazine many years ago, so if you have a friend with that mag collection you have another choice.

Emgee

Thread: Axis orientation (or, where is zero?)
04/04/2019 10:17:03

A lot of the work I do on the mill is small pieces held in the vice, I set the X zero to the LH side of the fixed jaw and the Y zero to the face of the back jaw.
I use a length stop which is set as the LH side of the fixed jaw so part set-up is simple.

Z zero set to suit each part but normally Z zero is 1mm clear of the job, all tools used for the job are referenced to the No.1 tool in the program so after a toolchange the tool will be 1mm clear of the job to allow fast traverse to the working position.

Emgee

Thread: What would one use this adaptor for?
03/04/2019 20:34:24

Perhaps a boring/facing head.

Emgee

Thread: Please help machining
01/04/2019 20:20:12

Looks like a job for a tool post mounted grinder, cutting something that small with a ball nose cutter sounds unlikely to me.

Emgee

Thread: Non-Drip Gloss Paint
29/03/2019 11:26:19

Chris, best advice I can offer is bin it.

Emgee

Thread: Motor control circuit
28/03/2019 10:08:19

Hi David

The VFD will run OK with a supply via a correctly wired 13A socket, best to use a DP switched type to give isolation to live and neutral.
Any contactor or such must be fitted in the supply side of the VFD , not between the VFD and motor.
No other devices should be needed unless you want an Emergency Stop but that can be wired from the VFD control circuit.

Emgee

John, no volt protection is built in to the VFD ?

Edited By Emgee on 28/03/2019 10:10:07

Thread: Mini lathe
26/03/2019 23:27:53

Arckivio, did you check the commutator bars directly opposite each other for continuity ?

You should get the same resistance reading on all pairs.

Emgee

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest