By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emgee

Here is a list of all the postings Emgee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What to look out for on shank size when buying
02/07/2020 19:29:16

Chris

The bore of the cutter holder will depend on method of manufacture, if it's reamed to size it may be a little under, especially if an H6 reamer is used, the 5.96 should be OK, but you may need to heat the holder to engage the 6mm diameter cutter it should be usable and likely have less run-out than the other cutter.

Emgee

Thread: What a silly Vee block this one is!
02/07/2020 12:56:24

Ian

You say both blocks are ground to the same angle but do they match if 1 block is turned by 180 deg, ? if they match perfectly which ever way the pair are used it means that both sides of the V are ground to the same angle, rather than 1 side ground 47 and the other side 45 for your estimated 92 degrees.
If the sides are ground at different angles you cannot set-up by clocking between the V surfaces to find the centre.

Emgee

Thread: SORTING OUT MY 4X6 BANDSAW
01/07/2020 18:27:37

I believe Tuff Saws packaging includes a tip to slacken off tension when not in use, if you do slacken off make yourself a label to hang on the saw to remind you to tighten the blade before use, or like me you will be refitting the blade.

Emgee

Thread: Overview of fitting variable frequency drive (VFD) to a Myford ML7
30/06/2020 21:23:03

Both the .5hp and the 1hp motors for Myford on the Tesla site are vented motors, not the ideal choice for a machine that's making swarf and chips, better to have a totally enclosed fan cooled version IMO.

Emgee

Thread: Mill unexpectedly cutting crooked
30/06/2020 21:08:56

If you are cutting with used cutters the top of the flutes will no doubt be in better condition so more likely to cut cleanly.

Emgee

Thread: Hermes Parcels
29/06/2020 22:03:21

Eric

If you always mark with "machine parts for UK deliveries" I'm surprised they don't come back to you.

Emgee

Thread: Mill unexpectedly cutting crooked
29/06/2020 21:55:55

Adrian

Suggest you try a cut across the same material but at the opposite side of the vice, check if you have any problem after 1 pass, if so do a finish pass to see if all is well. If the taper is opposite to the cuts made on the other end of the vice it would point to the tram is out.

Emgee

Thread: BSA drop down centre stand
27/06/2020 18:24:39

Is that round bar ?
You may be able to buy a piece of hardened rack that could be fixed to the bar, would save the hardening process.

Emgee

Thread: What fuses Warco lathe and Chester mill
24/06/2020 22:14:05

Andy

Plenty of choice on ebay for 8A fuses, slow, medium and quick blow, glass or ceramic bodies.

Emgee

Thread: 2mm endmill help
24/06/2020 22:05:54

Dave

Perhaps reducing the DOC will help also using a lubricant is another benefit.

Emgee

Thread: What size shaft
24/06/2020 19:47:58

8mm diameter.

Emgee

Thread: Chipmaster tumbler screws/pin
23/06/2020 19:18:13

Could be a location dowel ? reason I suggest that is because the screw fixing points are counterbored and it's very unlikely a skt cap would be damaged in that use.

Emgee

Thread: Curiosity Tap and Die
20/06/2020 22:18:19

Martin

They must be something special, thought 5/8" BSF was 14 TPI, strange.

Emgee

Thread: Unknown thread
19/06/2020 16:15:17

Old models cycle front wheel axle size, 5/16"x26TPI, just making a shaft with an M8x1.0, so close difficult to tell the difference with thread gauges.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 19/06/2020 16:16:02

Edited By Emgee on 19/06/2020 16:16:47

Thread: Faircut lathe tidy up
18/06/2020 13:54:25

Jacob

Unless there is some good medical reason for wearing those chunky looking gloves it would be safer when using the lathe to remove them, well at least when the spindle is revolving, or perhaps you do ?

Emgee

Thread: D H Gipsy mk1
18/06/2020 13:40:55

Hi David

I am not certain but guessing that on the full size any such pipes would be clipped at one or more points to avoid damage by vibration, same with fuel lines and electrical cables, not good to have any of those damaged.

Nice work on the engine.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 18/06/2020 13:41:26

Thread: 3 Phase in a Model Engineers workshop
16/06/2020 12:05:58

Anthony

Sounds to me that you need someone who knows what they are doing to be hands on with the machine, may cost a bit but at least you will be best advised.

Emgee

Thread: Where can I get a 3/4" strain relief bush?
14/06/2020 22:49:54
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 14/06/2020 21:28:12:

Hello DC31k,

There is an Ebay seller doing 5 plastic 3/4" BSP cable glands for just under £5 including postage. These will do for my application.

Thanks,

Andrew.

They will be 25.9mm diameter threads, much bigger than the 3/4" you wanted.

Emgee

Thread: Problems bending 3/16" dia copper pipe without kinking
13/06/2020 23:43:52

Greensands

Do you keep the moving roller down tight to the fixed former when bending ?
Do the grooves make a complete circular shape equal to the pipe OD ?

If the above lines are true then with annealed tube you should get good bends at the radius required.

Emgee

Thread: Help please, I have a Herbert
13/06/2020 13:28:36

I was informed by the Machine Tool workshop where I bought the machine the spindle taper was an R0, similar style to R8 but smaller diameter on all dimensions, my machine came with a Clarkson collet chuck fitted to a suitable taper.

Herbert 0V is a great vertical milling machine, very heavily built with excellent quill on a massive spindle. Plenty of height table to spindle to accommodate rotary table + part for machining.

Emgee

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest