By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for lfoggy

Here is a list of all the postings lfoggy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wobbly slitting saws
29/06/2019 14:50:16

Thanks for the comments. I couldn't be bothered to return them so I used a carbide tipped boring bar to relocate and enlarge the bore to 26.5mm. Made another arbor out of an R8 blank I had and they now run very true and cut ok. I suspect my 26.5mm arbor will come in useful again sometime.

29/06/2019 11:32:11

I've recently purchased two slitting saws from different well known UK model engineering vendors. Both were 4 inch in diameter with a 1 inch bore and widths were 2.5mm and 3/32. Both saws were significantly out of true when rotating, one by 0.9mm and the other by 0.5 mm. My arbor has a negligible degree of runout so the problem is the bore of the saw is not concentric with the periphery. That degree of eccentricity means that they only cut on a small proportion of the teeth. Useless really.

How can this degree of inaccuracy even happen in the manufacturing process? I would have thought the blade is mounted by the central bore for the final grinding of the teeth...

Anyway, they were inexpensive saws at less than £10 each so maybe this is a case of 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'. All the other saws in my collection come from old UK made stock and run perfectly true. Industrial suppliers charge 3 to 5 times more for new sliiting saws but maybe thats what you have to pay?

Thread: A Very Nice Freebie
11/06/2019 20:09:43
Posted by Rik Shaw on 10/06/2019 16:17:10:

Good result there Ron I've gone a bit green! I have an imperial set possibly even older by Matrix (Coventry) in a maroon bakelite case. Nothing wrong with imperial - I was weaned on it. I would not be without mine and use them constantly.

Rik

I've been tempted to buy a set myself but then always ask myself what I would use them for in my home workshop.

You say you use yours constantly - what do you use them for exactly ?

Thread: Machine moving recommendations.
01/06/2019 12:10:32

I have moved my two machines (400Kg and 500Kg) several times myself with the help of a few friends. My technique is to lift them off the floor with an engine hoist and bolt heavy-duty castors to the feet. I then roll them out to the drive. I hire a small lorry with a tail lift and roll the machine onto the tail lift. The tail lift has a 500Kg weight limit and lifts the machines no problem. Roll machine into back of lorry and lash down. Reverse procedure at destination. Works for me. You obviously do have to be careful that they don't fall over, especially on the tail lift which often tilts a little. Total cost is just the hire of the vehicle and cases of beer for my assistants. Have done this three times now without mishap.

Thread: Colchester Lathe Factory
30/05/2019 22:40:58

Is it even possible to buy a new manual lathe today of this quality?

Thread: A visit to Manchester Sci and Eng Museum
08/05/2019 12:39:41

Agree, the Chicago museum is superb. There is a long long list of other excellent museums in America.

08/05/2019 10:48:29
Posted by Philip Burley on 08/05/2019 08:19:00:

Has anyone been to the Birmingham science museum lately ? I went round there about 30 years ago I found it well worth the trip . Is this still the case , or has this one dummed down as well ?

Regards

As Brummie I am disappointed to say the museum here is not great unless you are 10 years old. It used to be housed in an industrial building and had an atmosphere of Birmingham's industrial past. When it moved to the 'Think Tank' about 20 years ago it changed. Great pity really. Not worth a special trip but there are a few static exhibits that are of interest if you are passing.

Thread: Servicing a Myford 254
04/05/2019 22:20:33

If the drive belt is too tight this can cause vibration as well. Maybe try loosening the belt?

Not sure what that recess in the lead screw nut is. To be honest I have never actually dismantled my apron. To lubricate the lead screw when screwcutting I just apply a very occasional squirt of oil direct to the lead screw.

Hope you get your lathe sorted. They are decent machines.

02/05/2019 23:56:36

There is an oil bath in the apron that lubricates the power feed gears. There is a plug for draining the oil at the bottom of the apron and access to add oil at the top.

Thread: A visit to Manchester Sci and Eng Museum
02/05/2019 23:53:05

The 'Deutsches Museum' in Munich is by far and away the best museum of science and technology I have ever visited. A must for anyone interested in mechanical engineering of any sort. There is an exhibition of machine tools and manufacturing that alone is as big as the museum in Manchester. And it has not succumbed to the tendency to dumb down and infantilise everything like so many British museums. Last time I was in Munich I spent two days there....

Thread: Servicing a Myford 254
02/05/2019 20:12:42

I've got a 254 + purchased new in 1997. All I do is change the oil in the headstock, gearbox and saddle every year or so. My lathe is not a varispeed but I recently changed the motor to a three phase and fitted an inverter so I now have variable speed. This made it run a little smoother and the variable speed is very welcome.

Had a vibration issue once which I tracked down to a small granule of cast iron (presumably from the manufacturing process) inside the headstock which had become lodged in one of the gear teeth. This caused a vibration when running in back gear. That is the only problem I have ever had with it.

I've never had to do any servicing on the spindle bearings themselves. Are you sure your vibration is coming from the spindle bearings and not from elsewhere? Is the vibration present when you have the lathe in direct drive without the feed engaged? Have you checked that the drive pulley is properly coupled to the end of the spindle? This can come lose and vibrate.

Does your owners manual have the full exploded diagram of the headstock assembly? If you did want to dismantle it this would be useful. If you don't have this I can send it to you.

Thread: Does anyone know where I can source a Myford 34t change gear?
30/04/2019 16:23:33
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 27/04/2019 20:39:59:
Posted by lfoggy on 19/04/2019 21:40:38:

Try finding a 48 tooth gear. They are even more difficult to get hold of !

48T is not part of the normal set. What is it required for on the Myford?

The 48 tooth gear is part of the set of gears you need to cut inch threads on a metric 254 lathe. It was available to purchase as an option with metric 254s when they were being made back in the day......

Thread: Presumably this is done using CNC... but even so its impressive
19/04/2019 21:50:58

That is almost unbelievable. For the joints to be invisible to the naked eye the gap must be microns...

Thread: Cam Calc
19/04/2019 21:47:18

I had the exact same issue when I was trying to cut the camshaft for my Hoglet a few months ago. I downloaded the version for Excel and it worked fine. Great programme.

Thread: Does anyone know where I can source a Myford 34t change gear?
19/04/2019 21:40:38

Try finding a 48 tooth gear. They are even more difficult to get hold of !

Thread: Hemingway spindle speed increaser
04/04/2019 11:47:11

Fortunately my mill does run backwards.. i realise this is an issue for some machines.

04/04/2019 11:14:15

There was a thread back in 2011 about the spindle speed increaser designed by Dick Stephen and sold as a kit by Hemingway. There was some discussion about limitations of the design but it seems nobody had actually completed one. Has anyone built one since then? I have just started building one and am hoping to use it for slot mills 2mm in diameter. I am not sure how rigid it will be though as it is of lightweight design and relies on just a plain bearing at the top.

Thread: Graham Meek’s Tailstock Dial - MEW279
29/03/2019 18:50:25

I am looking forward to the second installment and plan to make the dial for my metric Myford 254plus.....

Thread: Imperial pitches on metric Myford 254
28/03/2019 20:55:18

Many thanks for this link JasonB. That just might be the solution. Cutting my own 48t gear is also a good idea. Would be an excuse to play with the new Vertex indexing head I recently bought.

28/03/2019 19:22:53

Thanks everyone. The link JasonB sent me (thanks) to Triona ltd was helpful. They have almost all the gears I need apart from the elusive 48 tooth that nobody seems to have ! Without that one I can't use the Myford recommended arrangement. As Bazyle says, there must be a simpler aleternative and I am looking at the links sent by Brian G. Will get there in the end.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest