By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for lfoggy

Here is a list of all the postings lfoggy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Presumably this is done using CNC... but even so its impressive
19/04/2019 21:50:58

That is almost unbelievable. For the joints to be invisible to the naked eye the gap must be microns...

Thread: Cam Calc
19/04/2019 21:47:18

I had the exact same issue when I was trying to cut the camshaft for my Hoglet a few months ago. I downloaded the version for Excel and it worked fine. Great programme.

Thread: Does anyone know where I can source a Myford 34t change gear?
19/04/2019 21:40:38

Try finding a 48 tooth gear. They are even more difficult to get hold of !

Thread: Hemingway spindle speed increaser
04/04/2019 11:47:11

Fortunately my mill does run backwards.. i realise this is an issue for some machines.

04/04/2019 11:14:15

There was a thread back in 2011 about the spindle speed increaser designed by Dick Stephen and sold as a kit by Hemingway. There was some discussion about limitations of the design but it seems nobody had actually completed one. Has anyone built one since then? I have just started building one and am hoping to use it for slot mills 2mm in diameter. I am not sure how rigid it will be though as it is of lightweight design and relies on just a plain bearing at the top.

Thread: Graham Meek’s Tailstock Dial - MEW279
29/03/2019 18:50:25

I am looking forward to the second installment and plan to make the dial for my metric Myford 254plus.....

Thread: Imperial pitches on metric Myford 254
28/03/2019 20:55:18

Many thanks for this link JasonB. That just might be the solution. Cutting my own 48t gear is also a good idea. Would be an excuse to play with the new Vertex indexing head I recently bought.

28/03/2019 19:22:53

Thanks everyone. The link JasonB sent me (thanks) to Triona ltd was helpful. They have almost all the gears I need apart from the elusive 48 tooth that nobody seems to have ! Without that one I can't use the Myford recommended arrangement. As Bazyle says, there must be a simpler aleternative and I am looking at the links sent by Brian G. Will get there in the end.

28/03/2019 07:42:14

Myford do list some of these gears on their website but when you try and order them you find many are not actually available.....

27/03/2019 23:23:09

I want to cut some inch pitches on my metric Myford 254Plus. The manual contains a description of how this can be achieved. You need a gear train with a 48, 60, 63 and 64 tooth gear for all imperial pitches and then 24, 27, 33, 36, 39, 42, and 57 on the input shaft to get the full range of pitches from 4 to 56 tpi.. These are all unusual gear sizes (apart from the 60 which I have) and I am having trouble sourcing them. When I purchased my lathe in 1997 they were offered as an option by Myford but foolishly I did not buy them at the time. I've worked out that substituting a 127 gear  for the 60 gear on the input shaft will enable some inch pitches to be cut  by selecting differnt gearbox settings - that may be my only option.

Any idea where I can get these gears or any other options?

Edited By lfoggy on 27/03/2019 23:28:30

Thread: Tool Post Milling/Drilling Attachment
19/03/2019 11:49:18

Nice job Roderick.

I am in the process of building a similar device based on an Arrand milling/drilling spindle. I just need to acquire a motor and was debating what to use. I was thinking of a 100 or 150w permanent magnet DC motor. I am not anticipating drilling more than around 4mm holes in steel or using small (>4mm) slot drills. Your 200w motor looks quite big but I guess you chose this because you are planning to drill bigger holes.

Have you found 200w to be OK for your application?

Thread: R8 instead of MT3
18/03/2019 21:02:57

I have had difficulty in releasing morse tapers from milling machine spindles in the past which can be quite annoying. Given a choice I would definitely choose R8.

Thread: Tubal Cain : 0.5mm holes : spade point bit needed ? why ?
27/02/2019 19:53:01

Ian,

Some good tips and videos there.

Most of the small holes I need to drill seem to be in workpieces that can't be rotated in a lathe chuck though, so I end up having to resort to the drill press.....

19/02/2019 00:10:53

A few years ago I had to drill a number of small holes (0.3 - 0.5mm) in brass and steel for a project. Although you can buy twist drills in this size you need very high speeds to make them work properly. I ended up buying a micro drill press with a speed range of up to 30,000rpm. At high speeds these small drills cut very well, rarely break and last for ages as well.

**LINK**

Its proven quite useful in the worshop for any drilling under 1.5mm or so.

Thread: Vertex BS-0 Dividing Head 1-1/8” BSW Myford Spindle Nose
08/02/2019 19:10:24

I bought one of these from Rotagrip a few months ago but mine was the type where the chuck bolts onto a backplate fixed to the 2MT spindle. Like you, I received a lathe dog and the centre like in your picture but I didn’t get the dog driver. This puzzled me as well.

Your spindle issue must be very annoying, but I think you would easily get away with using your Myford chucks on this short spindle nose. If you are using the device for indexing, then the forces on the chuck and the mounting will be much less than on a lathe. I would be more worried about unscrewing of the chuck occurring with uneven cutting forces of milling etc.

I am very pleased with mine. It’s lovely to use, accurate and rigid. Was using it to cut some gears earlier today in fact. The only mod I have made is a little detent to hold the plunger back on the indexing device which makes using it a bit more convenient.

Thread: Workshop headphones
03/01/2019 21:27:37

I sometimes use my Bose Quitecomfort 35 (series II) wireless noisecancelling headphones in the workshop. They are amazing and give great sound whilst dulling (but not eliminating) the noise of machinery etc. Maybe worth a look?

I agree with comments above though, generally I prefer unencumbered hearing in the shop....

Thread: Hemingway Knurling Tool
09/12/2018 20:46:47

Yes, aluminium probably a more practical choice. Where did you get the piece of metal from?

09/12/2018 16:34:50

That fixture plate is a great idea. May make one myself. You need a big bit of metal to make this though. Why did you choose aluminum instead of steel? Lighter and easier to machine but may deform under clamping pressure? Clcikspring has used brass which seems extravagant !

Thread: Vega Twin Completed
08/12/2018 22:32:01

As has been already stated, a great piece of model engineering.

Question is, what's next on your drawing board?

Thread: Hemingway Knurling Tool
08/12/2018 22:18:12

Very nicely done.

That's an interesting clamping plate you have mounted to your rotary table.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest