By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for lfoggy

Here is a list of all the postings lfoggy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unusual Escapement
26/05/2022 11:09:12

Is the 'pendulum' working like a governor? The needle rotates with a constant torque, which drives the suspended bob, which moves outwards, increasing the cirumference of its rotation, until the forces are balanced? Hopefully that point would be associated with the correct rate of the clock. Sounds like there would be a lot of room for error in this arrangement.

25/05/2022 21:21:29

Looks amazing but I don't really understand what's going on here. Was the clock running when you saw it?

Thread: High Speed Bench Drill?
22/04/2022 15:33:22

What speeds and what size drills are you looking for?

I have a modern Amercian made Cameron model 214 drill press with a speed range of 1000 - 30,000 rpm that I use for my clockmaking. Its an excellent machine that easily drills holes down to 0.3mm. Cameron claim you can go smaller than this but have not tested this myself. Not much use for anything above 2mm though.

**LINK**

Thread: 5C collet chucks
17/02/2022 13:54:48

I bought a Bison 5c chuck with a D1-3 backplate and a set of metric Bison collets. One of the best workshop purchases I have made recently. The chuck is very accurate and holds work with runout of around 0.01mm. It gets more use than anticpiated in my workshop. Highly recommended.

Edited By lfoggy on 17/02/2022 13:55:44

Thread: Gear cutters for clock wheels
08/02/2022 22:25:36

Your cutters look very serviceable and will give consistent tooth geometry. A deviation in tooth thickness of a few hundredths of a mm from perfect is really not an issue. I have now built quite a few clocks and my experience is that they are quite forgiving of tooth geometry. Unless you are building an unusual very low-power or long duration clock it just won’t matter.

To be honest though, I have gotten bored of making cutters myself and just buy them from PP Thornton. They last for ages (for ever if your are an amateur constructor) and can be resharpened easily. You can then get on with the task of making the clock...

Thread: Another Scam
02/02/2022 17:22:54
I have finished with cheques now as it's at least a 20 mile round trip to the nearest bank for me and even that one is closing in May.

You can actually pay in a cheque now using your smart phone without leaving home !

Thread: Colchester lathe production
02/02/2022 17:11:58

Fascinating to watch and a glimpse back in time, both in engineering and in British culture. From a public health perspective it is interesting to note that none of the employees depicted were obese. Would be very different in a British factory now.

Why were so many of the production machines painted that odd gold colour !? Not a colour I would associate with a factory.

Edited By lfoggy on 02/02/2022 17:15:28

Thread: Just Finished, I think!
10/01/2022 20:57:25

Good job.

What's next? An English regulator is a challenge....

Thread: How old is this Starrett combination set?
12/12/2021 20:10:05

Thanks for the helpful comments and pics.

The set did come in a lovely solid harwood box with dovetail joints and a hinged lid with cutouts for the parts, but I am pretty sure this is not a Starrett item. Even for an old Starrett tool, this case would be excessive. I suspect a previous owner was a woodworker and made this himself.

Guess I will just have to be satified with the fact it's 'vintage' of uncertain age....

12/12/2021 16:23:01

I recently aquired this Starrett combination set and I am wondering how old it is. It is different in design to the currently available combination set and somehow seems to be quite vintage. The angle gauge part is stamped 'Starrett Athol Mass U.S.A. No 12' and the the number 22 is on the reverse. The ruler is marked No 4 and 'The L.S.S. Co Athol Mass U.S.A.' with the Starrett logo. There are no markings on the other two parts of the set. It is painted in gloss black as opposed to the crinkle black finish on the modern tools.

Is it possible to guestimate the age of this tool?

It is very nicely made and in great condition so I will be using it in the workshop. My question is really just to satisfy my curiosity.

dsc01319.jpgdsc01320.jpgdsc01321.jpg

Thread: New Micrometers
03/12/2021 21:15:38

My favoured micrometer is the Mitutoyo QuantuMike. These are of the highest quality and are a joy to use. One unusual feature is the 2mm pitch spindle which makes moving from one end of the measuring range to the other very quick.

Thread: Hi from Birmingham
29/11/2021 23:08:25

Hi and welcome. I live in central Birmingham. In spite of Brum's engineering history there don't seem go be too many model engineers here so good to hear from you.

Thread: First Clock in Metric
18/10/2021 21:29:11

I would heartily recommend one of John Wilding's books which include comprehensive plans and building instructions. There are a few things in horology that even a seasoned model engine builder may not be that familiar with. Took me ages to fully appreciate the low power and hence low friction requirements of a clock.

I too am a metric guy but I managed with JW's Imperial dimensions easily. I convert to metric as I go along. Sometimes I convert to nearest metric equivalent, e.g. a 5/32 arbor becomes 4mm, or for critical dimensions I just calculate the metric and use my digital micrometer and DRO to get me through. Easy really.

Thread: Vertex Tool Cutter Grinder
17/10/2021 11:32:46

I have one, purchased from Chronos a few years ago. Mine takes 5C collets. It is definitely not limited to single lip grinding. I find it very useful for all manner of grinding tasks. I use it regularly to regrind the axial teeth on slot and end mills which is very easy. I also sharpen the radial spiral teeth and this works well with the supplied attachment for cutters down to about 6mm diameter. If you have a selection of different shaped wheels, you can sharpen all manner of other cutters as well. I reground a set of ‘rotabroach’ annular cutters last week. There is an attachment for square lathe tools that I don’t often use as I have a Worden grinder as well, but the attachment does work.

With a bit of ingenuity, you can grind radii as well.

Stefan Gotteswinter has a good video on YouTube demonstrating the utility and versatility of the grinder.

I would certainly recommend it for the home workshop.

Thread: The most complex clock built in our lifetime
25/09/2021 18:38:33
Posted by John Haine on 25/09/2021 14:01:17:

Maybe amazing, but in my opinion very ugly. What's the point of all those complications when they show things that one has no immediate interest in or use for? Clocks should tell the time, accurately, and at a quick look. Look at Clock B at Greenwich, or indeed many of Martin Burgess' other clocks, for real elegance.

You are entering some treacherous philosophical territory here. What's "the point" of building a model of an obsolete steam locomotive and chuffing aimlessly around a small circular track ? As has been said, asking why is not really a valid question in this context....

25/09/2021 13:44:31
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 25/09/2021 13:34:36:

Complex isn't goodsad

Tony

'Complications' are generally regarded as an attribute in horology, reflecting the imagination and skill of the constructor. Next you will be pointing out that the same outputs can be achieved more accurately with a cheap microprocessor.....

25/09/2021 13:15:00

The September issue of The Horological Journal carries a detailed description of "The Astronomical Skeleton Clock" conceived by the American collector Mark Frank and built by Buchanan of Chelmsford. The clock has been described as the most complex clock built in our lifetime, and if you watch the YouTube video below you will probably agree with this assessment. Utterly amazing.

Anyone interested in horology needs to look at this.

**LINK**

Thread: Hole in tool post
10/09/2021 19:31:36

This is my setup with a Bison QC toolpost and a rigid mount replacing the topslide. The hole is used for an extra M6 bolt to prevent movement.

20210422_205059.jpg

Thread: Threading myth .... busted!
02/09/2021 18:12:24

If you have three axis DRO on your lathe (x, y and topslide) you can set the topslide to 30 degrees and engage 'vectoring' such that the radial movement is displayed when you move the topslide. This gives the depth of cut. Works very well and is what I do....

Thread: Hoglet Kick Starter
28/08/2021 14:16:44

The Hoglet is primarily a display engine and I think the kick starter is a visually interesting addition. I've built lots of differnt models of various kinds over the years and the Hoglet probably gets the most interest from visitors.

Some constructors have added an enclosed crankcase with enhanced lubrication which enables the engine to run for longer and maybe even power a model motorcylce, but in its orginal form you can only run it for a minute or two. Makes a great Harley-like sound though.

Good luck with your build.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest