By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Williams 2

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Williams 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colin Stafford Johnson, Ireland.
24/03/2017 22:50:26

I know this might not be engineering related, but Ive just seen the second programme with this chap travelling up the West Coast of Ireland, glorious photography. Refreshing to see during these troubled times. BBC 2 if youre interested.

Thread: Westminster Attack 22 March 2017
22/03/2017 21:09:42

Yes, its always the innocents that suffer unfortunately. If its somethinng to do with Islamic extremists, dont forget who went into the Middle East in the first place and wound them all up, Bush and our Tony !.

Thread: The Car as an extension to the Work Place !!
11/03/2017 10:16:57

Michael, too many distractions during driving without putting phones in cars as well. Too many people being killed because of them. My son was lucky to escape with his life , the result of a selfish moron on his mobile. So, in responce to anyone who insists on using a phone whether hands free or not, you are a twat. Rant over.

Thread: Why do they do that,
08/03/2017 18:31:48

Russell, its a crap idea isnt it. Whichever hand you use, its in the firing line. My DSG is on the left and so is the Hardinge. Designed by a masochist.

Thread: Arduino Rotary Table MEW 249
06/03/2017 10:45:21

Silly Old Duffer, well said. I went the Arduino route because it was from an article in a magazine, no other reason. I learned a lot along the way, and it works. I probably wont use it much, but hey ho !. IF I had needed it to make me lots of money, I would have just bought a Divisionmaster. I might even make one of the Steve Ward ones as well, just for something to do . I just enjoyed the project like a lot of other people.

On the other hand, why p*ss about making a model, just go and buy one because the fuhrer says so......

Thread: Workshop thermal gloves- advice please
25/02/2017 22:23:30

Jimmie, I wear thin white cotton gloves all the time in the workshop in winter, similar to what the Japanese train drivers use. Oh, and I keep my fingers away from rotating things !!. You can buy them off ebay by the bagful. By the way, every video Ive seen of Japanese lathe operators, all wear gloves. Just needs common sense.

Thread: Planning a power hacksaw build
21/02/2017 09:57:26

Go on Utube, Myfordboy has a video on the one he made. Plans are £10.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
20/02/2017 10:17:49

Here you go.....

coupon900.jpg

16/02/2017 17:39:52

Neil Dave, I will go back and check everything. Ive set the Dip switches to the same as Carl apart from lowering the current slightly, to 2.2 amps I think to lower the vibration, so perhaps I will try it a bit higher. Im pretty sure the motor wiring is correct, but it will get checked again.Its just odd that pressing the Left switch twice corrects the Run mode. Many thanks all.

16/02/2017 10:50:58

Hello all, just done Silly Old Duffer's LCD Push Button sketch, added 100 to the figures as per Gary Liming, but still the same glitch,....Run mode CW direction goes wrong way on the initial Left button press, then corrects itself after that. . Step, Angle and Jog are perfect !. Must be doing something wrong somewhere.

One thing I have done when re-programming the Arduino, was to make a hole in the box to connect up the USB cable , so much easier than disturbing everything.

Thread: Einstein theory of relativity
14/02/2017 09:13:19

Ive just reached 70 as well, bloody hell !. I asked a mate when do we finally stop looking at women and he said 97. What a relief.....

Thread: fires in NSW
12/02/2017 16:22:03

Michael, I purchased a milling machine from Tony Griffiths in Tideswell, many years ago, (lathes.co.uk man) and on the way to pick it up, going through Ashbourne thinking what a lovely dry day it was, got up the top heading for Buxton, and it turned into a scene like Antartica !.

Shame about the forest fires.

Thread: Quality digital vernier calipers
12/02/2017 16:13:45

Hello all, just treated myself to a Mitutoyo IP67 six inch digital caliper and its a joy to use, mainly because of the big numerals compared to my Sylvac, which has tiny numerals. Ive also owned a cheap Chinese (£8) Powerfix I think its called, and the battery is at least 2 years old. Yesterday , I tried all 3 on a bore guage set to 1 1/2 inches (checked with a micrometer) and they all read the same, 3 1/4. (Only joking)....1 1/2. So sometimes, depending on your luck, cheap ones are just as good.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 12/02/2017 16:24:55

Thread: Question on chucks & a warning on lathe safety.
09/02/2017 18:45:51

Its quite possible he only intended doing this at a very low RPM, still daft I know, and perhaps forgot that it was in high range.......

Referring to the fatal accident at the beginning.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 09/02/2017 18:49:44

09/02/2017 10:06:43

Hello all, thanks to Carl and others on here, Im happy with the way my Arduino RT project has finished up. One strange thing I noticed when using it recently is the way the CW and CCW buttons work in the RUN mode.When using divisions , angles or jog, the left (CW) button turns the table clockwise, and the right (CCW) anti clockwise as it should. However, in the RUN mode, the FIRST press of the left button turns the table anti clockwise, so does the other button. But if I press the left button again, it turns the table clockwise as its supposed to, and then normal after that.!!! This happens every time I select the RUN mode, then corrects itself.

Anyone else had this problem ?. Many thanks.

Thread: Old-New member from Cranswick, E.Yorks
07/02/2017 09:12:45

Fantastic Eric.

Thread: Arduinos and Microcontrollers ref: Rotary Table Mew 249
06/02/2017 22:23:04

Matt, a couple of us had the same problem as you, so if you look back through these posts you will see that you haveto change the numbers for the SET figure in the sketch at the very bottom. I think I changed the setting to the same as Silly Old Duffers. Also Carl gives the correct settings for the Dip switches too .

Hope this helps.

Thread: Titan HSS drill bit sharpner
06/02/2017 08:40:30

Hello all, I was recently given one of the Clarke drill sharpeners as a gift, still had the price on it, £24 . I thought it wouldnt be much good because it was " junk " ( thats what it says on the internet !!!), but it actually works well.

Thread: Titan 700w Pillar Drill
04/02/2017 23:38:34

Hello Jimmie, I know its not the same thing, but I bought one of the Titan SDS Plus hammer drills, very well made piece of kit for the price. Fantastic for 60 odd quid.

Thread: Lidll
02/02/2017 20:46:12

Hello Ronan, my Chinese digital caliper must be a strong one because its been freezing in my workshop, and always comes on, but my Swiss Sylvac dies in the cold !. You must have been unlucky.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest