By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Williams 2

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Williams 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling Table "fault"
04/08/2018 17:41:23

Hello all, Im taking it to pieces tomorrow. The reason Ive come across this error now is because Ive always assumed every thing tobe correct, until I measured a piece I had machined for accuracy and was shocked. The DTI base is clamped under the head, rigidly too. Ive reasoned that if the column, which is bolted up solid, were at 45 degrees to the vertical, it wouldnt make any difference. Unlikely I know !.

The mill is in supeb condition, and not really over used. I did most of my machining using a Jones and Shipman vice (stupidly sold!!!) which is probably why I havent noticed anything . All the later work ona vice machined from castings by me, which is out on it sliding surface by this 10 thou .

Anyway , everybodys advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

04/08/2018 08:32:26

Duncan, Paul and XD351 ; as you are all saying, Ive got to measure the thickness of the mill table for a start and then the table underneath too if necessary. Im getting the same error all the way along the mill table. Im going to remove the table and put the parallel on the table below it and measure that, the Y axis, if that makes sense. It seems that one of them needs regrinding. So much for Austrian quality control. Thanks toi all.

03/08/2018 22:39:45

Gas mantle, yes I do. The parallel itself is accurate to a couple of tenths over its length and the Noga DTI set up is rigid. Ive had the mill for about 10 years , this being the first time Ive noticed this error. The reason Im checking now is because a milling vice (5 inch width ) I machined 2 years ago, checks perfectly along its length, but 10 thou out across its width, the length clamped to the table on the X axis during the job.

Im beginning to think that the mill was sold because of this fault.Im convinced just about , that the table will need regrinding. Oh bother !.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 03/08/2018 22:43:28

03/08/2018 17:25:37

Neil and Pete, yes I will try out your suggestions. I have thought about the column being out ( it is bolted ), but cant see how it would make any difference, however, I will definitely try it . Hope Im proved wrong !!. Many thanks.

03/08/2018 16:38:10

Hello all, on my milling machine, an Emco F1P, I have found which I presume is not right, nearly 0.010 inches discrepancy over 5 inches of travel on the Y axis. The parallel I am using is perfect, there is no lift in the table and is fine on the X axis travel. Not knowing a great deal about mills, I am guessing that the top surface of the table isnt parallel with the bottom across ways so to speak . Oh, and the top surface of the table is unmarked.2018_0803_03114400.jpg

I would be grateful for anyones help. Many thanks.

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
05/07/2018 08:33:15

Silly old duffer,

Thats what DNA stands for , Nashernul Disslecksick Assoshiashen....

Thread: CovMac Lathes
22/06/2018 19:40:18

Lovely to see tha Covmac on the ME site again !. Looks a treat.

Thread: Exactly/The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers created the Modern World
12/05/2018 17:18:36

Where does the " father " bit come in ?. Im confused !.

Thread: Drinking and Driving.
02/05/2018 16:47:11

If it were up to me, the first time you are caught drinking and driving, banned for life. To be banned 4 times is a bloody farce. I know its easy to be " holier than thou ", but making a mistake whilst driving is easy enough without drink inside ones body, never mind being pissed !!.

02/05/2018 13:30:20

A rant about our useless drink driving sentences......

My 43 yr old d.... head of a nephew was caught drink driving for the 4th time, 3 oclock in the afternoon, after crashing his van whilst asleep. 123mg / ****, well over. Just had his courtcase and sentenced as followed ; 32 month ban reduced to 2 years if he attends alcohol rehab course, 200 hrs c/ service and £ 175 fine, which includes court costs !!!!!!!!!!.

The law really is an ass.

Thread: Phone Scam
29/04/2018 08:39:07

I really enjoy saying to them, " hello, now f... off ". Cheers me up !.

Thread: Pressure as a unit of time
25/04/2018 17:32:21

What about time in nautical miles perhaps !.

2018_0425_04440600.jpg

Thread: Mobile Phone Mast Installation
15/04/2018 15:58:09

Wish we had no mobile phone coverage, nobody talks to each other any more. Sick to the back teeth of trying to converse with people( including our kids) who just cant stop gawping at their phones.

Sorry for the rant.

Thread: Silent Air Compressor
15/04/2018 15:47:17

My original compressor was a good unit and worked very well,, but the noise , bloody hell !!!!. Standing outside with the garage door shut was still embarassing.

14/04/2018 20:42:34

James, I bought one about a year ago, fantastic bit of kit, very quiet too. Would recommend one in a heart beat.

Thread: Our Wildlife and Conservation Activieties in Nambia
01/04/2018 17:32:29

Ian, one can only hope he died a slow painful death. I sometimes think humans are evolution's big mistake.

01/04/2018 08:48:20

Reading about the fantastic work people do to help animals reminds me how much Im looking forward to reading the Duke of Edinburgh's obituary. he has shot many of them including at least one Bengal tiger. Roll on......

Thread: Lifting or hoisting a Myford Super 7
31/03/2018 08:39:56

If you have an engine lift, bolt a couple of plates to the bed, with 4 big nuts welded on for the rope.2017_1105_03392300.jpg

Thread: Burglar alarm
22/03/2018 20:58:40

The law is wrong in my view, mainly that there are no deterrants to help stop the crime in the first place and generally speaking, the police are crap. I was told recently, that if you get caught driving off with snow on your vehicle , you could be in for a £1000 fine, but for burglary, first offence, a caution.

Thread: delivery
17/03/2018 13:41:06

Their price for 75mm × 50mm× 3mm box section steel is a bit pricey, at £74. JD metals, £40 including delivery.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest