By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Williams 2

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Williams 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap carbide inserts - where's the market?
29/11/2018 11:21:27

Theres another angle too, it wouldnt be hard for the Chinese to copy the Sandvik boxes and labels, or any other brand........

Thread: Anyone bought a new Myford
28/11/2018 18:09:54

Ronan, yes, Triumph are supplying the engines for Moto 2 next year, they sound lovely .Something to look forward too !.

27/11/2018 10:26:57

Hello all, my 2 cents worth....I owned an ML7 for about 35yrs and for a brief time whilst I refurbished it , a Super 7. Out of the 2, the ML7 was better because of a Trilever attachment I fitted to it. In my opinion, the best speed change facility on a lathe Ive ever seen, even better than my HLVH ( just sold). A grossly under rated facility.

Is a new Myford worth £9000 ?, well, I sold my Hardinge for just under £3500, which again in my view, is in a different league altogether, but crap for model making, and for what the Myfords are best suited for. Horses for courses. Value wise, the Myford is grossly over priced.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
18/11/2018 19:50:39

Hello all, sold this recently ( the Hardinge)after 10yrs of ownership, cant justify 2 lathes anymore sad,

But missed the collet system, so made an adaptor to fit an ER 40 collet chuck to a D16 backplate on my DSG smile.2018_1112_03221100.jpg2018_0925_04225700.jpg

Thread: userwl2850 Machining Videos
17/10/2018 19:43:02

A couple of other good things about the videos are the lack of crap music and unecessary talking. He has just installed a bloody great Craven lathe in the shop too, so that will be entertaining !.

The comments section is interesting too. He replied to a blokes question about the trepannung cores ,which have to go back, but he keeps the chips, some of which are worth £ 5000 per ton scrap !!.

17/10/2018 16:09:26

Hello all, if anyone is interested in some fairly heavy machining of sometimes exotic metals and a lot of it on DSG lathes, this chap is pretty entertaining. Excellent in my opinion.

userwl2850

Thread: Chronos 200mm Optical Scale
11/09/2018 22:59:15

Thanks Jon for your advice. The scales Ive fitted to other machines have all had the guage/transit bits in them which seemed a good idea to me.

10/09/2018 14:33:49

Hello all, just purchased one of the 200mm optical DRO scales from Chronos but the kit comes without a setting guage between the reader head and scale. This to be removed when installed. Been in touch with the company and it transpires that the 200mm scale is the only one in their range that doesnt have the red plastic piece !.

Has anyone else purchased one of these and did you fit it without tbe setting guage ?. As it is at the minute, the reader head just flops about so to speak with nothing to align it.

Many thanks .

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 10/09/2018 14:34:59

Thread: Yet another parting tool question...
27/08/2018 08:50:15

A chap in the US, I think his forum name was Forrest Addy, suggested a packing piece under the PT holder itself, to stop the sag, if possible. Seemed like a good idea to me. Ive always thought it a bit daft how most people condemn the 4 way tool post and fit quick change ones, when the 4 way is the more solid platform. Not so convenient though.

Thread: Getting a Tormach off its pallet and base
22/08/2018 15:59:53

Nigel, yes you are right, I wouldnt lift a heavy load with the Pulllift. I forgot to say that I used a block and tackle for the Hardinge. angry.

22/08/2018 11:25:21

Hello all, if you can push the item under your garage door, you can lift it with one of these . I lifted my Hardinge HLVH off a trailer with this.Theres a plate welded on the top that hooks over the top course of bricks , and bolted through to the outside. 2018_0821_22054300.jpg

Thread: Let's hear it for British manufacturing!
08/08/2018 20:19:17

Dont forget Rolls Royce jet engines. Newall DRO's still made here too. ( I hope !)

Thread: What Is The Most Beautiful 'Thing' In The World?
05/08/2018 10:43:41

Piece and quiet, sitting in a lovely garden.

Thread: Milling Table "fault"
04/08/2018 17:41:23

Hello all, Im taking it to pieces tomorrow. The reason Ive come across this error now is because Ive always assumed every thing tobe correct, until I measured a piece I had machined for accuracy and was shocked. The DTI base is clamped under the head, rigidly too. Ive reasoned that if the column, which is bolted up solid, were at 45 degrees to the vertical, it wouldnt make any difference. Unlikely I know !.

The mill is in supeb condition, and not really over used. I did most of my machining using a Jones and Shipman vice (stupidly sold!!!) which is probably why I havent noticed anything . All the later work ona vice machined from castings by me, which is out on it sliding surface by this 10 thou .

Anyway , everybodys advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

04/08/2018 08:32:26

Duncan, Paul and XD351 ; as you are all saying, Ive got to measure the thickness of the mill table for a start and then the table underneath too if necessary. Im getting the same error all the way along the mill table. Im going to remove the table and put the parallel on the table below it and measure that, the Y axis, if that makes sense. It seems that one of them needs regrinding. So much for Austrian quality control. Thanks toi all.

03/08/2018 22:39:45

Gas mantle, yes I do. The parallel itself is accurate to a couple of tenths over its length and the Noga DTI set up is rigid. Ive had the mill for about 10 years , this being the first time Ive noticed this error. The reason Im checking now is because a milling vice (5 inch width ) I machined 2 years ago, checks perfectly along its length, but 10 thou out across its width, the length clamped to the table on the X axis during the job.

Im beginning to think that the mill was sold because of this fault.Im convinced just about , that the table will need regrinding. Oh bother !.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 03/08/2018 22:43:28

03/08/2018 17:25:37

Neil and Pete, yes I will try out your suggestions. I have thought about the column being out ( it is bolted ), but cant see how it would make any difference, however, I will definitely try it . Hope Im proved wrong !!. Many thanks.

03/08/2018 16:38:10

Hello all, on my milling machine, an Emco F1P, I have found which I presume is not right, nearly 0.010 inches discrepancy over 5 inches of travel on the Y axis. The parallel I am using is perfect, there is no lift in the table and is fine on the X axis travel. Not knowing a great deal about mills, I am guessing that the top surface of the table isnt parallel with the bottom across ways so to speak . Oh, and the top surface of the table is unmarked.2018_0803_03114400.jpg

I would be grateful for anyones help. Many thanks.

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
05/07/2018 08:33:15

Silly old duffer,

Thats what DNA stands for , Nashernul Disslecksick Assoshiashen....

Thread: CovMac Lathes
22/06/2018 19:40:18

Lovely to see tha Covmac on the ME site again !. Looks a treat.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest