By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Williams 2

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Williams 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverter Remote Stop button.
18/02/2014 20:22:26

Hello Les, Ive downloaded the official manual, theres no mention of seperate E stop buttons, only complete pendants, and then, no real instruction for those either.However, Transwave sell pendants, and also give free instructions for their fitting, but I dont want all the remote functions, just one big red button ! So I will wait for Neil to come up with his methods. Regards, Roger.

18/02/2014 15:32:11

497620.jpgLes Jones 1, heres the diagram, I hope.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 18/02/2014 15:33:08

18/02/2014 14:12:49

Thanks all, ive got a remote pendant diagram that Brian O'Connor kindly sent me so I will try and post it, which might be unsuccessful !. So it seems that either method, ie, remote button on the inverter control side or in the power feed to the inverter, via a contactor,does roughly the same thing. Theres no braking facility in the inverter.Im leaning towards Jo's method !. Sounds a good idea. Again, many thanks.

PS, it must be my tiny brain, ive tried to upload a photo from my computer, but all I seem to get, is " select one from your album", so ive tried to upload it into my "album", to no avail. However, it may emerge as my Avatar !

18/02/2014 10:27:49

Hello all, just fitted an inverter to a lathe, a Jaguar Cub 2.2kw unit. I want to fit just an emergency stop button near to the old switches ( all now redundant ), but not a complete pendant. My understanding is that to use a remote pendantyou have to re-programme the inverter to be able to do this, so that control passes to the pendant, or can you still use the buttons on the inverter as well ?. Would I have to "re-programme" the inverter to just fit a Stop button ? I realise, that after hitting the said button and releasing it so too speak, the motor will start back up, which Im not to worried about, I just want to be able to hit the remote button in an emergency.

l realise I could just fit a complete remote pendant with reverse/forward, jog, potentiometer etc, but I cant really use them on this lathe.

Many thanks, Roger.

Thread: Servicing Machinery Bearings Properly
08/02/2014 22:32:46

Phil Whitley, well said !

Thread: ARC Eurotrade
05/02/2014 15:12:05

Hope you didnt call him anything naughty ........sound a bit like currant did it ?

Thread: 3Phase Supply, cheap as chips.
04/02/2014 20:06:51

Hello, thanks for the replies.£6000 still sounds a lot, but obviously a bit cheaper than some have been quoted, especially JS's brother !!!. Anyway, Ive got sorted out with an RPC, but thought I'd ask the electric company first.I suppose relatively speaking, the quote was as cheap as chips. winkCheers.

04/02/2014 13:55:14

Hello, just had a rough quote for a 3 phase supply to my garage from the Western Power rep.With me digging the trench from garage to road, about 30 feet, £4500. That would terminate with all the gubbins in a box on the garage wall. Plus, probably another £1000 to get the "tails" from the depths of the bungalow, across to the said box on the wall. VAT would go on that as well.As the bloke said, its the way things are these days, beaurocracy and bu****it.One of his gangs did a job in the road somewhere, and left a roadworks sign by mistake, the company was fined £500 !.

I think I will be buying a phase converter somehow.!. frown

Thread: Workshop Break in
04/01/2014 17:04:08

Yes, we used to have a neighbour with a big dog, trouble is it used to bark rather a lot, morning noon and night, f*****g thing !.So living next door to someone with 3 must be lovely.Dont get me wrong, I like dogs, but not the ones whos owners couldnt control or give a damn. Sorry for the rant.

02/01/2014 18:09:55

Hello all, my sympathies to the OP. I would imagine most theft now is drugs related and until something is done about their use and availability, it will become worse. First, intercept, poison and redistribute a few tons of it Second, get tough, once and for all, with the people who deal with it ie, kill them. This might help a bit.

Thread: What lathe to get?
02/01/2014 12:30:26

Hello, to the OP, if you are interested, Lionel Fell on his "squirrels anonymous" website, has a nice Harrison M300 for sale, offers over £1250. I saw it last Sunday, excellent lathe, and a nice bloke to deal with.

Thread: I hate centre drills..............
12/10/2013 10:16:32

Same daft question from me too !!!!!.face 7

Roger

Thread: screw cutting made easy
20/09/2013 14:45:24

Jacques, I mentioned Ray Behner in the US, if you are interested, type Auto Retract Single Point Threading on U tube, and have a look. Perhaps someone can kindly put the link in for me !!!!!!!

Regards, Roger.     PS, another one by The Daumen called the Altered threading tool.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 20/09/2013 14:54:04

19/09/2013 23:36:36

John, (Bogstandard)Ive just read through your post again, and cant help see the other point of view about making a tool like Jacques describes, or the Ray Behner one. Id love to have a go at making the latter one, just for pleasure of doing it . I might never use it much, indeed Ive got a HLV-H for threading as well, but to be able to construct something and enjoy doing it , is all I care about!. Ive plenty of time to do it as well.!Each to his own .

Cheers.

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 19/09/2013 23:38:50

19/09/2013 22:03:21

John, my humble apologies about the flip up toolholder. I didnt know , but good on you for sharing the design with others.

19/09/2013 16:59:14

Jacques, fascinating bit of kit, looks complicated!. Have you seen the flip up type of threading tool holder that John Stevenson and others designed ?. Another way of screwcutting. I made one to JS ,s design which works a treat . Ray Behner ( I think thats the correct spelling) in the US made an automatic releasing toolholder, you can see it on the PM siite. Cheers.

Thread: More good machining videos
19/09/2013 13:41:51

Hello all,, Oh well, I will leave out the good bit next time. Only trying to help !.sad

15/09/2013 18:05:51

Thanks both for that. Another of his many videos is titled " Toms 2 cents worth on Vice Tramming ", brilliant. Tom makes a nice reference to John of Doubleboost fame with regards to his idea of Ikea lamps in the video about tools. Cheers.

15/09/2013 14:56:55

Hello, just found these good videos on U tube, coming under OXTOOLCO, a chap named Tom Lipton I think. Theres a particularly good one, over an hour long, on buying a lathe. Interestingly, in one of the videos making pins, I couldnt help but notice on the rather nice lathe he is using, what looks like about a 10 inch, 6 jaw SC chuck, with Pratt Burnerd , made in England, written on it !!. Anyway, nice bloke, and worth watching I think.Cheers.

PS, Im hoping JS can put a link for the videos, I havent a clue Im afraid ! wink

Thread: Posting Removal & Do you value your right to speak out ?
10/09/2013 14:30:38

Hello, a couple of years back , probably just before Myford closed , I needed about 10 or 12 Myford changewheels, so that I could cut metric threads on my imperial HLV-H. A clever bloke in the US had worked out what was needed and that Myford ones could be fitted on the CWheel bracket. To cut costs I bought them all but one, which they didnt have, from RDG, perfect. The chap there told me that Myfords wouldnt have the last one I needed, 47 I think, but on ringing Myfords, was told that they have always had them in stock. !!.Was that sour grapes, ?.

Anyway, after that brief digression, brings me onto a question, which is, RDG , by the sound of it, are protecting their rights, perhaps quite rightly, but didnt they somehow help in some small part, to the demise of Myford in the first place by selling " suitable for Myford" bits probably made in India or China.?. Just an observation, and probably completely wrong, but just my view. Cheers.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate