By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Williams 2

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Williams 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Should you really get the biggest lathe possible?
06/12/2014 16:24:25

Hello all, a friend of mine once remarked to me about buying things, who said, " ask youself 2 things , do you want it and can you afford it ". If the answers yes.......... As long as youve got room of course wink 2.

Ive got a big lathe that I admit I dont use as much as my smaller one, but I get pleasure from just owning and looking after the thing. I even get pleasure from being near my equipment, which I tnink is what its all about.

What really does piss me off looking at the lathes is what lovely machinery this country used to turn out, now we only make rules and regulations. Duty first, not safety first. Rant over. face 8

05/12/2014 15:27:05

John S, thats some girlfriend you have there as well !!!!. CNC mill in the kitchen, worlds first programmable cake icing machine smile p

Thread: CovMac Lathes
04/12/2014 09:45:36

Chris, yes, just over 2 tons. I was going to get the factory I bought it from to load it on to my big trailer, but thankfully,they had no means of loading it, because it was a 400 mile round trip , I would have been right on the GTW limit, and shi****g myself all the way home !!!. So, Heaver Bros' in Exeter collected it and dropped it right outside my garage, or just in a bit. Id previously drilled a hole in the end of my garage wall, with a big plate on the outside and an eye and a shackle on the inside, using a Pulllift winch, pulled the lathe in on some inch bars. The drive and garage has quite a slope on it, but with a friend, we managed it . Incidently, the 8 wheeler that delivered the lathe on it had a big Fassi (impressive) remote controlled crane on it that can lift 3 tons , with a reach of 16 metres.

In retrospect, considering the trouble your having moving the CovMac in pieces, I would have had a hell of a job getting mine off a trailer in one piece. Severe trauma and injury springs to mind !!. frown

03/12/2014 22:24:13

Hello Chris, it was on Ebay and probably paid over the odds for it, but buying via my son in laws company, after clai ing back the vat, cost me £1600. A bit much, but, hey ho !. On the other hand, I dont smoke or drink or look at other women ( that bit was a lie ), so bugger it !!. Regards, Roger

03/12/2014 21:37:40

Hello Chris, the DSG is 52 years old, bought as a retirement "present" to me a couple of years ago. My wife was absolutely everjoyed when I bought it. face 4 It came from a small factory that was going to CNC, and evidently had been well looked after. Ive changed the motor from 5 to 3hp, but she will still take some decent depths of cut , enough for my inexperienced level of skill!.The missus sometimes groans about how to drag the bloody thing out of the garage when Ive snuffed it !!!.

03/12/2014 17:52:30

Chris, perhaps you could rig something up like this for lifting stuff on the CovMac. You mentioned your lathe has a hole in it for lifting, like my DSG, so with a bracket made up to fit in said hole, 4 small bolts attaching it to the lathe, and a 1 inch bolt welded on to slip the crane tube on, you are away. I extended the bracket to the concrete for additional support if needed. Small trailer winch off Ebay and an old pulley, seems to work OK. Cheers.

22022014110.jpg

28/11/2014 16:00:29

Hello Chris, seems excellent value at £117, makes you wonder how they do it for the price !. Keep the write up coming on the Covmac, inspiring stuff.

Thread: more youtube videos to watch
22/11/2014 14:11:36

Hello Ian, had a look at one his videos, just the job !. Many thanks, Roger.

Thread: Lauf Model Exhibition, Germany
21/11/2014 09:34:10

Thank you Neil, I will try that. Regards, Roger.

PS, Issue 223, thats more like it, thanks again.yes

Thread: Lionel Fell's web address.
20/11/2014 13:04:15

Hello Dave, thank you , regards, Roger.

20/11/2014 13:00:43

Hello all, please someone tell me the group playing the music in the background on the video !!!!.

Thread: Lionel Fell's web address.
20/11/2014 09:30:49

Hello all, would anyone know the web address of Lionel Fell from Ilminster, Somerset. Met up with him ( amazing bloke!) last year, looked on his website a couple of times, but then lost it !. As an aside, one of the items in his workshop I will never forget, was his almost new DSG 13/30. !!. Thanks.

Thread: Where to start?
19/11/2014 21:01:38

Robert, I agree with you when you state that its wrong to generalise on Chinese machinery, but is it not wrong also that you to generalise on 50 year old British/US stuff ?. To the OP, have a look at both, and buy what you fancy, and good luck.

A friend of mine has owned a Warco 13/27 lathe for years, excellent bit of kit, another one to consider.Cheers.

PS, nearly forgot, I own a lathe at least 53 years old, probably as good as anything else out there and Im not a boring old fart, although I do get the wind a bit, well a lot !!.  indecision

Edited By Roger Williams 2 on 19/11/2014 21:03:08

Thread: Issue 222
18/11/2014 19:04:48

As Voltaire once said , " I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death , your right to say it."

18/11/2014 08:56:05

Hello, just bought issue 222 of MEW, first time in months. Ive bought perhaps 70 or so copies of this magazine, and generally speaking , thoroughly enjoyed them all. I know that every article isnt going to suit everyone, depending of course on articles thst get sent in, but when I have to see a bloke making another storage box for a tool, why ?. It was a nice box, but over 3 pages !!. 2 pictures of a hinge and 1 of a catch ( top of page 9 ) beggars belief. The other articles were OK, especially the EW lathe, but please no more storage cupboards and boxes. Not up to the usual standard of the mag. Sorry for the rant !!.

17/11/2014 19:53:21

Bloody marvellous, thank you !. I liked the music too .

Thread: Outstanding Service
12/11/2014 19:16:51

Hello all, a tale of crap service -----, went to Southwest Metals in Newton Abott, paid for a fair size piece of aluminium, but because they didnt have the size in stock, said they would get it in for me. They took my number, but after a week of waiting, I rang them, to be assured they would ring when it arrived. I rang again today and asked why they are messing me about, " the owner will be back later and will definitely phone you". He didnt. Im going over there tomorrow to get my money back. 2 weeks nearly,

Just a phone call with an apology would have been nice. W****rs. angry 2

Thread: Theft...
05/11/2014 19:39:41

12 bore with a tripwire. Seriously, if they are determined enough, they will stop at nothing, because in our sad society, criminals dont get punished, only the victims. The police are really only bothered about motoring offences---the other day , local radio announced, that after a major police operation, 11 people were caught not wearing seatbelts !!!!. Oh, and in the last picture, I would need about 10 seconds to get in, sorry.

Thread: Engineer's Guardian Angel!
25/10/2014 17:54:23

Hello Tony,is that Clun near Craven Arms ?.Nice part of the world, used to work a lot in the woods locally. Now reside in Devon, not as pretty as Shropshire !. Cheers.

Thread: Vintage motorbike
08/10/2014 16:44:40

Michael, you are right, no balance problems !. Another factory destroyed by crap management.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate