By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob n About

Here is a list of all the postings Bob n About has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What tool do I need? I need to measure the radius of a tiny fillet on a 90 edge.
31/12/2021 12:47:41

In the world of "Pro Bodgery" we would make up a small punch tool (chisel shape) with a short length of annealed copper wire or solder and tap it into the radius. You now have a copy of the radius you can examine away from the piece under investigation or blue to test against another location on the part.

Edited By Bob n About on 31/12/2021 12:50:37

Thread: The future is Tiny
17/05/2021 16:44:44

I think for the vast majority, the future is on foot.

Thread: Rothenberger Super Fire 2 Torch
06/05/2021 10:31:49

OK, I assumed from what you said a small hole had opened up in the body. I would make the body gas tight, but thats me.

06/05/2021 10:04:54

More like porosity in their crappy casting. If you can see the hole, seal the inlet and outlet with silicon and use a syringe to draw a vacuum (through one of the sealed ends), you can now add Araldite to the hole and draw it into the casting. That should seal it just fine. If you can't find the hole a bit of soapy water and use the syringe to add pressure and mark where the bubbles appear, then do as first suggested.

Edited By Bob n About on 06/05/2021 10:14:30

Edited By Bob n About on 06/05/2021 10:15:01

Thread: Anti seize grease on Myford spindle nose?
08/04/2021 13:52:15

Unless you need to run high pressure steam down the spindle I wouldn't use a chuck gasket. Possibly consider the superior properties a ring of wood chip wall paper can offer. Ornamental turning and fine knurling without a dedicated knurling tool. Just goes to show how overrated those machined surfaces are you paid so much money for.

Edited By Bob n About on 08/04/2021 13:53:34

Edited By Bob n About on 08/04/2021 13:56:53

07/04/2021 22:23:38

I would only use clean oil on the spindle nose, it is too easy for copper slip to get contaminated with particles that then take on a copper colour. With oil, a wipe with clean paper towel will indicate contamination with a dark streak or particles.

Using copper slip for long term storage is a different matter, but I wouldn’t use for day to day.

Edited By Bob n About on 07/04/2021 22:27:57

Thread: Sieg X3 Tacho
22/02/2021 15:55:02

You mean something like this

https://www.instructables.com/An-Easy-and-Cheap-RPM-Tachometer-Upgrade-for-the-M/

Thread: Elliot 10m
20/02/2021 10:15:33

My Myford and 10M share an inverter. The Myford used to have a degree of braking applied when stopping. The 10M however didn't appreciate it, the mass of the shaper mechanics meant the braking quickly went over current and faulted the VFD. So watch if you try using brake, or share a VFD. Being able to control the 10M speed is very useful, I am not happy running mine at full speed, as has been said, don't underestimate their power for destruction. If the machine can walk into a wall, don't assume the wall will stop it.

Thread: How Many People Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb on the Forum?
17/02/2021 13:03:13

#BrightLightsMatter

17/02/2021 12:47:23

I have a filament bulb, if anyone is up for an argument ?

Thread: crane uprate - where would you add some metal ?
09/02/2021 23:37:51

Engine cranes are and should be designed to fail around the arm ram joint or locking pin for the arm extended. The load should fall within the crane footprint, no bolts either side should fail first as it will have a tendency to throw the load out to one side and topple the crane. The reason a crane can have such a low lift weight is with the arm fully extended, all crane advertised load is with the arm fully retracted. NEVER modify lifting equipment, or substitute parts unless that is your day job in which case you won't be asking on here.

If the load is so heavy and you are just moving it, chock up the load and get skates under it. The original post never said much about the load, how heavy, or much heavier than the crane rating, or how high the lift needs to be.

After a heavy lift or buying secondhand, always inspect the crane for paint for cracking or flaking, any deformation around pins and fasteners. The truth is we mostly estimate the weight we are lifting and I suspect a few of us, my self included have gone into our reserve margin on occasions. Be safe and have a plan for things going wrong.

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
01/02/2021 00:44:05

Not to mention that great piece of flying furniture, the Mosquito.

Thread: Electric vehicles
24/11/2020 14:16:27

Gentlemen, what is needed is an order of magnitude increase in voltage at the socket. Fast charging of electric vehicles will be a breeze at much reduced current. Not to mention the BOOM in appliance sales.

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
18/08/2020 11:40:45

All too common these days with joke apprenticeship programs and lack of in depth training. Not many seem taught to think for themselves logically. Add to that major corporations not wanting you to own the products you buy. Pretty much a perfect storm for consumers, certainly going to get worse until we get right to repair sorted. Many untrained people are doing a better job than so called “Professionals”

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
02/08/2020 21:29:08

A good quality wood stain a shade darker than the rings, apply liberally to all carpet floor covering, a job well done.

Should you be unfortunate to walk the stain indoors, apply same technique.

Edited By Joules on 02/08/2020 21:40:22

Edited By Joules on 02/08/2020 21:43:12

Thread: Keeping Shop clean
07/06/2020 19:28:18

Have someone 3D print you an insert plate that tapers the bore and eliminates the shoulder.

Thread: Macro-photography
30/05/2020 19:38:26

With todays currency fluctuations I think E, is "Best Offer Expected" in small print.

Thread: masks and metal band around nose
08/05/2020 15:59:50

Just go full "Ned Kelly"

Thread: Coronavirus
27/03/2020 04:31:34

We still have neighbours children kicking balls and other toys into our garden. Police advise us to inform them to stop.... Hmmm, I see where this is going, the mother is in denial of whats happening. Our stress and anxiety levels are through the roof.

Thread: Digital callipers shows time not distance
22/03/2020 04:56:08

Jimmy, would you be a Leprechaun by any chance.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest