By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Joules

Here is a list of all the postings Joules has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Q: Print Nozzle Hole Shape?
01/08/2019 10:03:36

A square hole would have none laminar flow in the corners, this would promote the plastic to decompose quicker where heat is more concentrated and result in rapid blocking of the nozzle. You don't tend to see many square section pipes in engineering. A printers smallest output is a blob, not a defined shape, but a defined volume. the nozzle both extrudes and smooths out that blob to form a ribbon of plastic. A square nozzle, whilst it worked would produce a different width ribbon corner to corner.

Edited By Joules on 01/08/2019 10:04:46

Thread: An old Shaper found in Phuket Town
22/05/2019 16:46:24

I suspect the guy delivering it couldn't get it in the factory and said "Phuket" it can stay there...

Thread: stamford show vandals
19/05/2019 14:29:56

I suspect my response would get me banned and put on some watch list. The scrots are out on bail, may they trip awkwardly down some stairs.

Thread: Removing hard to reach ball bearings
17/02/2019 16:07:51

If it's a blind hole I was taught to pack as much grease in behind the bearing. Use a close fitting stub through the bearing and tap gently, the hydraulic pressure pushes the bearing out. You might need to repack a couple of times if the bearing is tight or some space behind it.

Sorry, not relevant in this case.

Edited By Joules Beech on 17/02/2019 16:12:14

Thread: Tubal Cain : 0.5mm holes : spade point bit needed ? why ?
16/02/2019 12:59:34

They are however fun to make and use out of piano wire. Give them a go, learn some new skills it’s never wasted time.

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
16/02/2019 11:31:24

My setup for tramming the mill and setting the table or accessories bolted too it.

img_0018.jpg

I'm not going to fret over the vice being present or some bits of tooling on the table, the power feed is hanging off the left hand side !!!

img_0015.jpg

My front to back readings, note the indicator is at the same angle and lever adjusted to reduce cosine error.

img_0013.jpg

For tramming the head I move the vee blocks around the table to get best readings. 300mm in X, and about 200mm in Y

img_0014.jpg

The machine here is used for work, so I am not going to spend hours chasing precision an order of magnitude greater than required. This really is good enough and no doubt that will shock the purists, but hey.

img_0016.jpg

And finally.

img_0017.jpg

Those eagle eye'd will notice my mag mount hanging off the drill chuck. If your spindle is that bendy, machining metal ain't for you my friend. I can set this up get the mill as true as I need it in the space of a few minutes.

15/02/2019 21:15:52

I have the same mill purchased beginning of last year. How are you measuring front to back, I ask as my DRO scale and power feed switch box limit travel to just under 8" If I rotate the head willy nilly and tighten it up any old how I can get bad readings. However if I clock the spindle as I am tightening the head and balance the loads on the fasteners I can achieve ± 0.0015" front to back, till I lean on the head or do some work on it, then those figures are irrelevant. I assembled and set the mill up here on my own, I needed to loosen the column bolts and shim under the rear of the column to get the mill spot on (strip of beer can did the job). I'm not machining exotic alloys so left it at that, otherwise I would add levelling epoxy to gap fill. My column moves the same as it did when the surfaces were mated, so for me it's not an issue. I might also add that all my measurements are taken off the base of large precision Vee blocks, so the key slots don't interrupt measurement.

Overall I am very happy with the mill, I can achieve the precision I need in alloy and plastics. I have done some steel and cast iron work using a 50mm face mill (conservatively) holding a tolerance within ±0.001" in 6" I have had some issues with the mill, but resolved them myself.

Thread: Teaching a 17 year old how to use a lathe
03/07/2018 12:49:20

I would also suggest following Joe Pieczynski (Advanced Innovations) on YouTube.

Thread: 3 in 1 Oil
13/06/2018 18:36:38

I many years ago replaced 3 in 1 oil cans with Parker Hale gun oil.

Thread: Hello from South Yorkshire
06/05/2018 12:17:57

Hi Keith, suspect I am not a million miles away from you, maybe even top of next hill. Also similar interests.

Joules

Thread: Rotary table
28/04/2018 00:17:29

You don't even need a rotary table once you make an index wheel with 7 and 19 holes. Below is an example, you need two index pins, one being adjustable. Drill the first 19 holes based on the first of the 7 holes, now index to the next 7 hole and adjust the moveable index pin for the offset 19 hole. Drill this set of 19 holes and repeat for the next 7 pin till complete. The examples below are 150mm diameter plates, with 2mm holes for the 133 and 3mm holes for the 7 and 19 hole pattern.index wheels 133-7-19.jpg

Thread: HMS Queen Elizabeth: Leak found on new aircraft carrier
19/12/2017 09:26:37

Can't they drill a hole to let the water out !!!

Thread: Myford Correct Oils
22/11/2017 11:24:48

I just buy in 25ltr drums of ISO32 hydraulic oil. It gets used in/on all machines and also goes in the engine crane and hydraulic log splitter. Be very wary of using automotive synthetic oils as many have additives that may well attack your bronze and brass bushes. The ISO32 I get declares it compatible with all bronze parts. look up Morris Lubricants Liquimatic No.4, I am a happy customer, they also do 5ltr cans.

Thread: A model engineer gone wrong?
15/11/2017 16:25:40

That would be the VW Claymore.

15/11/2017 16:11:58

Not to mention, when the country is bankrupt and we go to war, every able bodied engineer with a lathe will be asked to make arms and ammunition out of national pride.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
30/04/2017 12:36:29

I always wondered how they transported Tina Turner incognito.

Thread: Machining a Washer - Procedure
03/04/2017 22:47:27

Perfect excuse to buy a plasma cutter.

Thread: Now having to sign in every visit.
02/04/2017 22:44:52

Having same issue despite ticking stay logged in. On Mac and iPad.

Thread: Anyone near Lincoln UK
31/03/2017 18:14:52

Another one here who isn't into trains or politics. South Yorkshire, just enjoy tinkering and making.

Thread: Cost effective way for manufacturing a small plastic part
29/03/2017 19:00:23

Hi Neil, SLA is not the same as FDM (filament) printing. Some SLA printers use DLP or LCD screens to expose a complete layer at a time and these things can really motor through layers. Carbon Clip is another form of SLA, but its prices are way out there. However what SLA machines do in hours Clip can do in minutes. Worth looking it up just to have your mind blown.

That means CLIP can print each part in 1.8 seconds, 400 per layer, is your head spinning now...

Edited By Joules Beech on 29/03/2017 19:10:49

Edited By Joules Beech on 29/03/2017 19:12:38

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest