By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for julian atkins

Here is a list of all the postings julian atkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PGK's 1" Minnie
12/11/2019 23:34:19

Hello Jon,

As you have taken the considerable trouble to quote me plus provide a detailed post, you deserve a detailed response...

Your:-

1. I do the front foundation ring to the throatplate first. I don't make the front and rear foundation ring out of square section copper but out of a slab of copper, which gets profiled further back and forward respectively around the inner and outer firebox wrappers with a step on the ends.

3. I tried this once with J-M silverflo 24 but the tubeplate got far too hot for my liking, and was stopped partly silver soldered, so the answer to your 3. is LT not HT.

4. LT J-M silverflo 55, not HT J-M silverflo 24.

6. No need for any fixings between front foundation ring and firebox tubeplate. Your 7. done at same time.

8. I do special phos bronze stays for the inner firebox doorplate to backhead at the same time in HT.

Between your 8. and 9. I silver solder up the firebox side stays, and do the foundation ring sides (your 10.) all LT. The throatplate stays have been silver soldered at your stage 6.

11. Backhead bushes are HT done before the backhead is silver soldered to the outer firebox etc as the final stage, the previous stage which was silver soldering the front smokebox tubeplate to the boiler, which would also have it's bushes done beforehand with HT.

I silver solder in the longitudinal stays. Dome bush is done early on in the the last 2 cases with HT. Safety valve bushes done the same time as silver soldering the crownstays to the outer firebox wrapper, LT.

I hope this makes sense. I did a detailed 'build log' of my last boiler on modeleng.proboards.com, and a lot of the pics of same are in some of my albums on here.

Cheers,

Julian

Edited By julian atkins on 12/11/2019 23:40:19

Edited By julian atkins on 12/11/2019 23:41:18

Thread: Stephensons Valve Gear
27/10/2019 21:36:02

Hello Phil H,

The weighshaft bearings do wear. In Stephensons valve gear they get quite a 'kick', which can be transmitted back to the reverser, and all the bearings etc need to be jolly good fits and with good alignment

I 'beef up' the weighshaft bearings.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Coke for brazing purposes
23/10/2019 20:24:28

Hello Nick,

Go down to your local builders merchants and buy some Thermalite blocks or equivalent. Very cheap, and can be cut up if required with an old wood saw.

The 5 pint paraffin blow lamp used by Don Young on the only 2 boilers he ever made is a fearsome beast! I doubt if Don did use coke as a surround for his 2 boilers. I used a 5 pint paraffin blow lamp on the first joints on my first miniature locomotive boiler until I bought my Sievert set (propane). The heat output from a 5 pint paraffin blow lamp is quite something.

You would not want raw coke igniting when silver soldering a boiler. You want clean joints and heat that is controlled where you want it to be.

You need to take some of what Don Young wrote with a pinch of salt (hefty doses in places)! Don's 5"g LNER K1/1 boiler was probably silver soldered up in the works of J Samuel White. Don's 5"g IW O2 "Fishbourne" boiler was probably done by him with the old 5 pint blow lamp, but the loco never had a steam up on a track when completed, and was sold in the late 1960s (to Canada) and has never been seen since. Neither boiler ever had a club boiler certificate.

Don's only other loco was his 5"g Railmotor No.1 and Alec Farmer of Reeves made the boiler for Don.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
16/10/2019 22:36:27

The 'furore' over NEW leaseholds has nothing to do with Ian's case which will be an old probably Victorian long lease with a minimal ground rent and no other charges.

Please note the facts relevant to Ian's case, and not go 'off thread'.

Cheers,

Julian

16/10/2019 21:57:12

Hello Ian,

I have purchased the freehold for 2 previous houses/homes I have owned. It simplifies things if you sell.

My first house was on a long lease dating back to around 1890. Minimal ground rent. As I was then an Articled Clerk/Trainee Solicitor, I cheekily asked the leaseholder's Solicitor if the £150 charge to buy the freehold could be waived, which it was, and I was sent a bill for the legal costs of £50 (This was 1990).

My second house had title deeds that were 13" high when stacked on my desk. The house was subject to 2 long leases with nominal ground rent going back to the 1800s (2 different parcels of land that constituted part of the property; there was additionally a 3rd parcel that was freehold). I was then a qualified Solicitor. I knew the Solicitor for the freeholder of the 2 leases, and I think it cost me £250 in total to buy the 2 freeholds. I submitted to the Land Registry what a colleague of 40 years experience described as the most complex application he had ever encountered. The 13" stack of deeds was reduced to a simple 1 page Land Registration A4 sheet. A subsequent sale was very quick and easy as a result.

With old long leases (typically building leases) of houses with a nominal ground rent, the owner of the freehold often has a liability on their hands, and I would consider the £2500 sale price to be very high and unjustified; so some considerable room for haggling!

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: A cord of Ash
10/10/2019 23:46:26

Straight grained Ash of UK origin rather than American Ash, is quite sought after for making the wooden 'stays' for bellringing installations in most UK Churches that have 'full circle ringing' and 'rings' of bells.

So I would refrain from burning the Ash log!

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Piston Rings
23/08/2019 22:24:53

Hello Graham,

Bit of a can of worms here.

Assume "Pistons" as per your thread title, which previously had graphite asbestos packing instead of far superior square braided graphite asbestos packing.

You can still get square braided graphite asbestos packing on ebay - it crops up from time to time, and if properly selected and fitted ought to last 10 years hard use on regular passenger hauling. There is a bit of an art how to fit this type of packing.

I would recommend you investigate this route rather than having to make new pistons and rods etc and all the fuss required with PTFE, and consequent greater expense and time involved.

PEEK is an unknown quantity so far as piston rings are concerned on a miniature locomotive, and in any event how are you going to get them going onto the LBSC piston dimensions?

Of far more concern would be the piston valves and their bores on an old 'Speedy', if the piston packing in the cylinder bores is already 'shot'.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Kingscale 5" models
18/08/2019 23:32:20

Nice bit of grained wood on the right hand side of the box - I could make a ukulele out of that!

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Dam Solution?
06/08/2019 23:51:46

What is this reservoir for?

The canal.

The Marple locks were closed earlier this year for repairs, so the level in the reservoir built up, unlike last year.

I would suggest that had the Marple locks not been closed this year, none of this would have occurred.

I don't know why the canal system hasn't been used to drain the reservoir.

A simple online search indicates the reservoir has been causing problems for many decades.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Pansy Valve Gear
04/08/2019 10:31:10

If you would both like to send me a PM I will email you my 'blurb'.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: 3.5 NG Conway or Lilla
25/07/2019 21:59:52

I would second the Don Young 'Hunslette' design, and I don't know why 'Durhambuilder' dismisses it.

It is a huge lump in 5"g, and still quite a huge lump in 3.5", and I speak as someone who did 'Linda' FR 2-4-0TT in 3.5"g.

Another possibility is 'Charles' brother of 'Linda' and 'Blanche' which is I think marketed by Blackgates.

Martin Evans' 'Conway' is a freelance design with lots of errors, and the valve gear is deficient, and it neither something or nothing.

Don Young's 'Hunslette' is a prototypical example of the Quarry Hunslets.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Regulator improvements
17/07/2019 20:10:41

Hello P84R,

The first thing I would do is to take off the water gauge fittings and check that their passageways and the areas around inside the boiler are free of obstructions that might give a false water gauge reading.(Check also that the bottom fitting and bush does not protrude too far into the water space).

You might also be getting priming when the loco is being worked hard, as others have suggested. Also you do not state whether the safety valves are lifting as you go up your incline. You can get a localised pressure drop in a boiler that can promote priming, as opposed to priming being caused by dirty water or water with some oil in it.

Water carry over to the cylinders is quite a serious problem and can cause damage to the cylinders and motion, if not increased wear, and ought to be properly investigated.

If there is a water carry over, you need to shut the regulator and open the cylinder drain cocks.

Do a search online for LNER pacific 'Blue Peter' and the disaster at Durham.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Superheaters in the Firebox
25/06/2019 23:27:35

Hi Martin,

You deserve a fuller reply from me in response to Jeff Dayman's post.

My own 3.5"g GWR King to the Jackson design required new superheaters, and the LBSC type will be replaced with stainless elements extending the full length of the firebox. It will also have a redesigned smokebox draughting kindly done for me by Jos Koopmans.

(If the Perrier drawings follow the GWR drawings for the original single chimney design they will be deficient, or at least not ideal).

The GWR King boiler is an elegant thing and very nuanced and complicated.

A simple butt welded joint to the throatplate and barrel will IMHO reduce water circulation at quite a vital point, and the butt welded joints elsewhere will rob the boiler of it's external appearance, unless well covered up by the cleading.

I am assuming the tubes, being TIG welded on your boiler, are thicker than normal? A recent Commercial boiler on the modeleng proboards site (for Don Young's 'Doncaster' ) has some TIG welded joints but the tubes are silver soldered in. It looks the part, and is clearly extremely well made.

If you have cast iron cylinders etc and piston valve liners and piston valves with cast iron rings, you won't have any problem with full length radiant superheaters in the firebox, and I have no hesitation in fitting them as such to my own 3.5"g example with cast gunmetal cylinders and slide valves.

Quite a few club boiler inspectors haven't a clue how to deal with a TIG welded copper boiler, or for that matter steel welded boilers. Quite a few haven't a clue how to deal with all silver soldered copper boilers.

Cheers,

Julian

Edited By julian atkins on 25/06/2019 23:29:15

Edited By julian atkins on 25/06/2019 23:29:54

24/06/2019 23:38:57

Simon is quite correct with stainless radiant elements. Though you provide no mention of cylinder and piston valve material, and design.

Seems to me your 5"g GWR King boiler is of rather novel construction. I hope your club boiler inspector is happy with it all. It is a very complicated boiler to make.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Hi from south Wales.
20/06/2019 22:48:16

I'm about 7 minutes drive from Blackwood.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Historic Frogs
20/06/2019 18:38:58

How about Jeremy Fisher (Beatrix Potter), and Kiki in 'Hector's House'?

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Making High Speed Steel Injector D Bits
17/06/2019 22:45:21

My own experience is that silver steel injector 'D' bits, especially the 9 degree taper ones, last about 5 injector cones then become useless and blunt. The 13 or 12 degree ones are somewhat more durable.

I have proved that the 6 degree taper is not required on small injectors of 12 oz per minute delivery on the delivery cone, and 9 degrees will do the necessary, contrary to what has been written.

HSS reamers are the way to go if you want to make lots of these gadgets.

Boiler Bri (Brian) must dismiss any thought that the LBSC drawings and descriptions will produce a working miniature injector except by luck.

It is not a black art. Eric Rowbottham described via Basil Palmer the smaller injectors in ME around 1976, and Laurie Lawrence described his own 'standard' design was it 1977? The Laurie Lawrence articles were repeated around 1982. Derek Brown's book is indispensable and available via TEE publishing.

Cheers,

Julian

Thread: Lowe, Officer of the Titanic - Letter to Model Engineer
01/06/2019 23:56:01

Thank you all for your posts.

Yes, it has been pointed out to me that Lowe died in the 1944 so obviously my memory is faulty.

I can recall 4th Officer Joseph Boxhall's mentions in ME, though I am missing the relevant section of ME from around April 1962 - though have read it many years ago - and it wasn't Boxhall I am recalling, unless I am very mistaken again.

A search of Titanic in the archive comes up with a number of bits about Boxhall, but I still do have a clear recollection from something at sometime by Lowe. Retiring to the North Wales coast . Boxhall retired to Christchurch/Bournemouth.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Julian

01/06/2019 00:07:11

I have a very clear recollection of 5th Officer Harold Lowe of the Titanic having something published in ME in the 1950s.

The online index hasn't helped to find this again,

My own MEs are substantial but have a few gaps but I have previously (some many years ago) read all the bound volumes.

Does anyone else recall such a contribution, and if they can please help please, especially with the details and perhaps the actual text?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Julian

Thread: Vertical Injectors
19/02/2019 20:42:35

Hi Stew,

I have a bit of experience making new steam cones for the Gordon Chiverton vertical injectors so am quite familiar with them.

A vertical injector will work no better than a horizontal injector, and has the disadvantage that the gap in the combining cone cannot be accessed for inspection and cleaning. The Gordon Chiverton design also has the added disadvantage that the delivery cone cannot be removed.

I have never fitted vertical injectors to my own locos.

It is not widely known why Don Young marketed only the vertical Gordon Chiverton injectors for many years. Don Young started his own business around 1971 selling boiler fitting and injectors, and published his vertical injector design for 'County Carlow' in ME in 1970 (which incidentally doesn't work).

He had a gentleman's agreement with Arthur Grimmett, both on the Isle of Wight, that he would not make horizontal injectors that Arthur made in the thousands for Reeves and Kennions.

Don Young via Gordon Chiverton only started making and marketing horizontal injectors after Arthur retired.

As you say, there is a lot more work involved in making a vertical injector (especially of the Gordon Chiverton vertical type), plus I have outlined the disadvantages if they need cleaning or dismantling.

Cheers,

Julian

Edited By julian atkins on 19/02/2019 20:44:27

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne; London MES
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest