By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steambuff

Here is a list of all the postings Steambuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Question on gas bottles
25/05/2016 21:02:05

I purchased a second hand Calor bottle (empty) and I have had no problems having it filled (exchanged) - No questions were asked.

Dave

Thread: message board unusable currently
25/05/2016 20:58:01

Everything is OK for me .... Win 7 (64 bit) with IE 11 (64 bit)

Dave

Thread: What is the difference here? Subscription Costs
09/05/2016 23:28:30
Posted by mechman48 on 09/05/2016 23:07:26:

There seems to be crossed messages here, as stated previously I have just renewed, in Feb, by credit card, for TWO years for the total price of £97.80.

My renewal notification & notes I took when renewing over the phone...

mew renewal 2016.jpg

... and yes I can still get into my digital archive, have just opened issues # 241 & # 1 to check.

George.

George ... Your screenshot was for MEW. the original post was for ME

Dave

Thread: CE Marking ( again)
08/04/2016 10:44:19

Its also possible that it is not a original Polly boiler .... it could have been changed by the previous owner(s) for a home made one!

Also are you sure the boiler was made after 2002?

I would be surprised if a Polly boiler was not stamped with a CE mark, serial number and boiler working/test pressure.

Dave

Thread: Subscription expiration date?
19/03/2016 06:14:05

You should be able to see the subscription expiry dates under 'Settings', scroll down and look under Subscriber Number.

Dave

Thread: MacBook Proo access to digital magazine
18/03/2016 19:51:39

I think you will only be able to access the digital copies through this website (The archives via the Magazine Tab). You will need to login using the email address used for renewing. I am assuming that you renewed through this page or directly with ME.

You will have to wait for a day or so for a email giving you the 10 digit subscriber number, which you will need to enter through the Account Settings.

You will not be able to download any issues but you will be able to view the archive issues.

Dave

Thread: Bridge Rectifiers
16/03/2016 23:21:27

Whoops ..... 100 times a second .....its late at night

Dave

16/03/2016 23:03:36

Remember the output is 'Full WaveRectification' and may not be smoothed. (If like lower diagram above)

So the output is not a constant 12volts (Its a sine wave but with the negative part flipped to positive - so rises to 12v and falls to 0v 50 times a second if you are in Europe)

So you will not draw 1amp if you put a 12 watt load on it. (Can't remember the equation but I think root 2 comes into it) but my guess is that I would expect to see 0.7 to 0.8 amps.

Does the 6 volt setting work?

Dave

Thread: 2 ISP's and the printer only on one home network
13/03/2016 18:06:01

I suspect the problem is due to both routers being on different sub-nets (The first 3 numbers of the IP address are the same)

I would guess that the Computer that is on the same sub-net as the printer is the one that can print.

Without knowing how everything is configured, it is not easy to offer a simple solution, also I don't know linux. You could try setting the sub-net mask to be 255.255.0.0

Dave

Thread: wi fi router
23/02/2016 14:11:39

You could try replacing the ADSL Micro-filter ... (Also ensure every phone/modem/Sky-Box etc. is connected to the phone line via a Micro-filter)

Dave

Thread: Boiler tests comercial or club
23/02/2016 12:30:39
Posted by old Al on 23/02/2016 08:52:14:

Joining a club also opens up a huge volume of free information and fault finding knowledge. We have people without cars and they get welcomed into our club and get ferried around to all sorts of places.

£20 for membership, free boiler tests and help when it fails-------------------------bargain

Don't know what club you are a member of .. but mine is just over £60 per year (We do not do public running), but still excellent value.

Dave

Thread: Mach 3 64 Bit computer
23/02/2016 11:39:56

A little unclear so to verify

If the RAM is greater than 4Gb then it is only 64-bit .... If the RAM is under 4Gb then you can use 32-bit or 64-bit. (Although in 32-bit mode you will usually only see about 3.5Gb)

Dave

Thread: speed control needed
21/02/2016 12:32:36

<Quote> The low cost dimmers from Hong Kong can handle 2KW, cost about £1.18, I have a simple modification which adds a little piggy back board to give feedback. <Quote>

Can you post a link to the 'Hong Kong' Dimmer that you based your design on?

Dave

Thread: Printing from digi ME and MEW
15/02/2016 14:35:15

When you select print, a box should be displayed in Windows where you have to select which printer you want to use.

Highlight the printer, you should see a button just below or to the right of the printer list that says PREFERENCES, click this then another box should appear, in this select the Print/Quality tab (This may vary for different printers). Under this you should see the paper size being used ... This should be A4 Portrait. You can check all the other tabs as well to ensure it is all A4 and 100% magnification/full size.

Dave

14/02/2016 13:15:12

I assume you mean the ME/MEW Archive from the ME Web Site.

I have just printed a random page from the latest ME and it printed A4 with no issues.

Have you changed your printer settings to print A5 by any chance?

Dave

Edited By Steambuff on 14/02/2016 13:15:48

Thread: homeworkshop.org
10/02/2016 17:26:08

Ian,

Yup I am getting the same. (Windows 7 - 64-bit + Internet Explorer v11)

Dave

Thread: non delivery of magazine
04/02/2016 19:58:38

Just noticed that the archive version of ME has appeared (20:00 Thursday)

Thank You

Dave

04/02/2016 16:25:34

Mine has not arrive yet ... and the digital archive copy is not available yet either.

But it was available on PocketMags last Friday/Saturday

Dave

Thread: chinese sellers refunding rather than supply
04/02/2016 14:20:52
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 03/02/2016 22:13:41:
Posted by Ady1 on 03/02/2016 10:53:29:

One theory: If you give crappy feedback or get on a negative customer list for any reason then you may find yourself being avoided

Andy this is what you get when you leave negative feedback I dared to give negative feedback to a well know tool supply company who also own the manufacturing right to a well know lathe

Hscreenshot (125)..jpg

If this is who I think it is .... they are the company who got eBay to cancel every listing that contained the word <their well known lathe> .... even the genuine items.

I have refused to deal with them ever since!

Dave

04/02/2016 14:18:44
Posted by Cornish Jack on 04/02/2016 11:52:38:

Not limited to Chinese sellers.

Bought a bound ME volume from a UK seller. Postage charged was TWICE the amount from another seller for similar item. Negative feedback was limited to the postage but two further purchases were cancelled by the seller as "out of stock". Some sellers appear to believe that all they have to do to get 5* ratings is deliver the goods when THEY feel like it and at whatever charge they wish to make. As far as I'm concerned, 5* means EVERYTHING was perfect ... and there aren't many of those!!

rgds

Bill

I assume that you knew what the postage was before purchasing the item(s). So I think it was unfair of you to leave negative feedback. (Also when the goods arrive, did you see what the actual postage was? - Some people blame the seller but in reality it is the Royal Mail who are to blame for their excessive charges)

I would have contacted the seller prior to purchase to clarify the delivery cost.

Dave

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest