By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steambuff

Here is a list of all the postings Steambuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is Buying a used live steam loco cheaper than building one?
10/08/2019 18:26:21

Why not look at a Loco kit .... Polly Engineering for example.

Not cheap but you will get the support (UK based) if you have an issue.

Dave

Edited By Steambuff on 10/08/2019 18:27:26

Thread: Shipping heavy models
31/05/2019 17:25:46

Why don't you plan a weekend away in Kent with SWMBO and then deliver them in person?

Cost of of the fuel might be less than that of a courier!

Dave

Thread: What is the cheapest coal fired live steam locomotive?
24/05/2019 18:05:11

Simon,

I think we need a little bit of information from you ....

What are your 'Railway' interests ... Standard or Narrow Gauge .... GWR, SR, Welsh, Quarry etc

What do you want to do with it ... Ride behind it or sit in a deck chair and watch it go round?

Where are you planning to run it? Is their any physical size/weight/cost limits?

I own 16mm (SM32) + 3.5" + 5" gauge Coal fired Loco's (Both purchased RTR and Home Made)

Dave

Thread: Alibre Atom 3D pdf manual free to MEW readers
24/05/2019 13:33:51

People who registered the trial, should have had a email with a code to get a copy for free. (A link was also provided)

Go to here look unter the Atom 3D section - Its listed as the Tutorial (What appeared in MEW)

https://www.mintronics.co.uk/webshop

Edited By Steambuff on 24/05/2019 13:34:24

24/05/2019 11:46:41

Hi,

My copy downloaded as a PDF .. Yor PC might not be showing the extension - What does Right Click Properties show? If it has no extension the try renaming it adding a pdf extension i.e. Atom.pdf

Double click to read and/or right click it and select Open With and select your PDF reader.

Dave

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
08/05/2019 10:53:11

Thanks

It does the same from my iPhone using web interface [and same to both printer and to a pdf]

Dave

08/05/2019 10:16:53

Hi Jason,

When I click on the Print Icon I get the first screen shot, then when I select the page and click print, I get the printer properties box which is set to 100% (If I set thnis to 50% I get half of what I got before - occuping a quarter of the page)

mew_print_2.jpg

mew_print_3.jpg

08/05/2019 08:56:47

Hi,

and as I have stated before ..... I cannot print from PocketMags (The online version) ... If I try I get a page as shown below. (The printer/settings work OK for all other Web sites and applications)

I only seem to get the top corner of the page. MTM and PocketMags do not seem to want to help .... I get the same in IE (11) or Firefox (Latest) under Windows 7. When using PocketMags, I am using the online viewer as I cannot download the magazines as Win 7 is not supported.

My Digital MEW subscription is due for renewal in 9 days .... I will not be renewing. The product is no longer fit for purpose. (My ME is due in July, again I will not be renewing)

a/ The new Viewer is not fit for purpose ... No PRINT, and you have to keep zooming in/out and scrolling around to read it.

b/ I cannot download PocketMag issues (As advertised) as I am using Windows 7

I will now read issues at local ME club or library and get the articles scanned that I want.

Dave

mew_print.jpg

Edited By Steambuff on 08/05/2019 08:57:48

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
26/04/2019 10:06:42
Posted by CuP Alloys 1 on 26/04/2019 09:36:35:

It gathers the information from a forward facing camera recording speed limit signs. It does not get information from the sat/nav.

If it does not use GPS ... how doe it know what country you are in?

Signs km/hr or miles/hr (or a mix in Ireland)

Dave

12/04/2019 15:38:01

Jason,

But what do the new subscribers use to view/print the archive copies (Jan/Feb/Mar 2019) .... They will not be able to use PocketMags for issues prior to the start of their subscription.

The only way I can print a full page from PocketMags is by setting the page size to A2 ... It is easier for me to take a screen shot on my iPhone and paste the image into Word ... but should not have to do that if the viewer was fit for purpose.

Any company who cared for its customers/subscribers whould have fixed the issues by now or rolled the viewer back.

My MEW is due for Renewal next month and ME a couple of months after that .... What with the subscription increase and loss of functionality and a view wher you consistantly have to zoom ... I have cancelled my Direct Debits and will not be renewing. (My local Library/ME club has copies, I will read them and copy as required)

Dave

Thread: Page errors in 4610
10/04/2019 18:45:35

Nope ... All present and correct in my copy ... also present was a letter saying that they were increasing the subscription rates from the 26th April!

Thread: LED replacement bulbs
30/03/2019 12:23:40

You can buy LED bulbs that are equivalent to 100W and 150 W ... I had to fit them at my Mum's house

I got mine from Amazon

Dave

Thread: Workshop insurance
17/03/2019 13:53:01
Posted by Bill Chugg on 17/03/2019 10:43:34:

If the workshop is within the boundaries of your property then it will be covered under your buildings insurance. The contents, if not used for professional purposes, will be covered under contents insurance. There may be limits to your contents cover but 'All risks' insurance is available for high value items.

Bill not strictly true .... I would recommend that you should check and verify ... My Buildings/Contents insurance EXCLUDES Garage contents (even integral) AND Sheds and their contents (This would apply to a standalone workshop)

Dave

Thread: Workshop - indoors or outdoors
26/02/2019 10:33:38
Posted by V8Eng on 26/02/2019 10:05:02:

Whilst not wanting to rain on anyone’s parade, I will say that probably you need to discuss the matter of using a cellar for this with your Insurance Company first.

If you must talk to your insurance company, I would call it a "Craft Room" .... Insurance companies don't like Workshops!

Dave

26/02/2019 08:53:28

I would echo everyone else .... the cellar would be best .... but I would do any silver soldering, brazing or welding outside and not in the cellar.

Dave

Thread: E bay
24/02/2019 12:52:25

OK for me on Windows 7 with IE & Firefox

Thread: Logging in to forum
23/02/2019 08:16:45

Do you have the "Remember Me" box ticked?

If you change devices that you logon with it will require you to login again i.e. PC to iPad

Dave

16/02/2019 13:06:48
Posted by JasonB on 16/02/2019 12:31:11:

Can't win. People were complaining they could not view with Flash now you start moaning when flash is removeddevil

Not quite true .... We are moaning that the PRINT functionality has been removed.

Dave

16/02/2019 10:43:56

There is a 'Print' icon on the right hand side of the Pocket Mags viewer, when this is selected it gives you thumbnails of all the pages, and you can select 2 to print.

Just to throw something else into the mix .... The MTM Digital T&C's state that a Flash viewer will be used ..... This is not now the case so they have breached their own T&C's.Subscribers should have been told of the change of the T&C's and given the option to terminate their subscription with full refunds if they do not accept.

MTM need to fix this quickly and back-apply it to issues already published with the new downgraded viewer!

Dave

15/02/2019 18:40:26

I can't print in PocketMags or through the Archive on this site either. (IE and Firefox)

Thats now 1 digital issue of MEW and 2 digital issues of ME that are not fit for purpose!

I'm going to cancel my subscriptions and demand a refund .....

MTM should have reverted back to the old viewer/format as soon as the issue was raised and not just blindly go on publishing issues that are not fit for purpose.

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest