By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Flywheel

Here is a list of all the postings Flywheel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Gearbox drain seal washer
09/11/2018 08:56:30

Mark, are you sure it is leaking from the drain plug? I had a leak on my gearbox which came from the hidden captive screw which is inside the box, this hidden screw has a rubber washer between the box and the lathe bed and that was where my leak came from, looking at the front of the g/box at the bottom left hand side there is a screw plug which  has to be removed to let you get to the hidden screw, but sadly the g/box has to be removed to replace the rubber washer, on Myfords drawing of the g/box the drawing numbers of the parts are 136, 137 and 138 (hope this is of some help)

Peter

Edited By Flywheel on 09/11/2018 08:57:17

Thread: zyto lathe lead screw
06/05/2018 09:06:52

Can some kind member of the forum tell me what is the diameter, TPI and thread form of the lead screw that is used on the Zyto lathes - I presume that the same size is used on all the various versions, I also read that the change gears are the same 20 DP as the Myford, can anyone confirm this please, also can anyone tell me the size of the headstock spindle thread?   

Peter

Edited By Flywheel on 06/05/2018 09:14:31

Edited By Flywheel on 06/05/2018 09:16:02

Thread: Myford paint colour
09/04/2017 08:31:24

I have just ordered one of those high speed chair lifts so I get upstairs before I forget what I've gone for!

Thread: 25 years of Model Engineers' Workshop Special
05/07/2015 07:53:42

There are still a few copies on the shelf in WHS in Meadowhall, Sheffield as of yesterday.

Thread: how to unsubscibe
14/02/2014 08:46:02

Go to the bank and cancel your direct debit to be on the safe side

Thread: Myford Industrial Stand Wiring
09/12/2013 07:57:20

HI Stephen,

my Super7B is mounted on the industrial stand, when I bought it some years ago I got in touch with Myfords who put me on to their electrical expert who assured me that the switch panel on the industrial stand cannot be adapted to single phase wiring, so I bypassed the panel and simply fitted a modern no volt on/off switch which has been working OK ever since,

regards

Peter

Thread: Decent vernier height gauges ?
15/11/2013 08:35:00

watched a tv program recently about the Rolls Royce factory building the Trent jet engines, noticed some Mitutoyo equipment in their factory, so if it's good enough for them its good enough for me!

Peter

Thread: Help identify Chester Mill Drill
22/10/2013 12:57:08

Hi Jim

I have got the same mill, I have still got the original "chinglish" "manual" and parts list if you want a copy I can scan it and email it to you

regards

Peter

Thread: Am I living in a different world ?
15/11/2012 18:52:33

Richard,

money's not everything, you can't tell me a bloke with £10 million pounds is any happier than a bloke with £9 million!!!

Peter

Thread: O ring suppliers
02/07/2012 11:31:08

Why not try your local Bearing/oil seal supp;ier they will probably sell you just the one

Thread: Countershaft pulleys for Grayson lathe
24/02/2012 19:31:36

Hi Norm

I had a Grayson lathe some years ago and I always used the Myford ML7 gear change chart with no trouble because the Grayson has a 8TPI leadscrew same as the Myford

Regards Peter

Thread: Grayson Lathe
16/01/2012 09:25:42
Can you let me know the width of the belt you require,[ if I remember correctly it is about 1" or 1 1/4" for the Grayson,] I might be able to help you
Thread: Hi, and Suffolk Dredging Tractor
25/12/2011 10:33:53
Hi Pete,
if it is of any use to you I have for disposal volume 146 of ME [1980] which includes the 11 part series by John Haining on the Suffolk Dredging Tractor?

Merry Christmas

Peter
Thread: thread indicator
12/10/2011 07:58:01
Hi Nobby and Paul

On the Grayson lathe that I used to own I fitted a Myford thread indicator. I engaged the indicator with the lead screw at the right hand end of the apron [as with the Myford] then spotted through the fixing hole in the indicator and then drilled and tapped the apron. By slackening or tightening the bolt the indicator can be engaged or disengaged as on the Myford,
Hope this is of some help

Regards Peter
04/10/2011 08:38:27
Hi Mike
Dont know if you know but the headstock spindle on the Grayson is the same thread as Myford and the Myford change gears can also be used [you have to drill a 1/16" hole in them for the Grayson pins clamp one of the original gears to the Myford gear and drill through ] also on the lathe that I had the crosslide threads were very worn so I bored out the crosslide thread and fitted a Myford crosslide screw and nut.
Peter
04/10/2011 08:27:31
Hi again Mike
I've just had another senior moment sorry
I forgot to say that I riveted {or glued} the piece of tape measure to the rim of the alloy disc
Peter
04/10/2011 08:23:58
Hi Mike

I used to own a Grayson lathe like yours and I had the same trouble has you with no measurement on the handles, I cut a piece from a flexible metal tape measure 6 and 13/16" long which gave me 125 divisions and then turned a alluminium disc to fit on the cross slide screw behind the handle I then arranged a pointer to line up with the divisions [cant remember how I did this. [senior moments] but no doubt you can puzzle it out, I was working on a shoestring budget at the time and this was a cheap way round the problem, I think I also fitted the same idea to the leadscrew handle.
You could substitute the 6 and 13/16" for 125mm which would give you a smaller diameter disc to turn because it does not matter what system you use it is the number of divisions that is important
Regards Peter
Thread: MODEL AERO ENGINE ENCYCLOPEDIA
21/09/2011 16:06:08
Hi All

I recently purchased a copy of R. G Moultons book [1959 reprint] MODEL AERO ENGINE ENCYCLOPEDIA from a private seller on Amazon, when I received the the book I discovered that 3 of the pages where missing, the seller offered a full refund on return of the book or I could keep it and receive a half refund,
[I opted for the half refund]. Has anyone on the forum got a copy of this book that they would be willing to either scan and email me the missing pages or copy and send them to me {expenses refunded of course] the missing pages are 63/64 - 69/70 - 127/128.
Normally I would have accepted the full refund but this book does not come up for sale very often and when it does it is usually priced beyond what I could justify spending

Regards Peter

29/08/2011 17:46:46
Hi Mike
I had a Grayson until about 4 years ago, it served me well, the change wheels were 20 DP same as Myford, but held with a 1/16" dia pin instead of a key, the crosslide thread was very worn so I bored out what was left of the old thread and adapted a Myford crosslide nut which is still working OK , I sold the Lathe to a friend and he was quite happy with it,

Hope this might be of help to you

Regards
Thread: Machining cam lobes
19/08/2011 18:26:12
Hi Steve
Google CamCalc then type in your known figures for your cam, press calculate and the program will work it all out for you

regards
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest