By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mick H

Here is a list of all the postings mick H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Book Review with Christmas in mind
10/11/2021 11:46:25

This year it is a selection of slot drills from Tracey to replace those that I broke in 2021! Actually I get a double whammy because my birthday is the week after Christmas so it will be an assortment of multitool blades.

Mick

10/11/2021 06:44:16

At or about this time of year my daughter asks her Mum what her Dad would like her to buy him for Christmas. Mum passes the message to me and I reach out for the Arc Euro or Tracey Tools catalogues for a little browse to find something that I would not normally buy for myself. Last year I found in the Arc catalogue "Milling for Beginners" by Jason Ballamy. I asked myself, "Am I a beginner?" I have owned a small mill for over 12 years but whilst I get by I cannot say that I have truly mastered its use. I decide to ask for this book. The book duly arrived and I found it to be a good quality production, nice paper, well laid out text and loads of excellent photographs of tooling and procedures. The content is an easy read and can be read as a whole from beginning to end or just used as a reference for specific topics. Whilst I discovered that I have not been making too many major errors I did pick up loads of useful tips and ways to tackle tricky jobs. In all 16 Chapters packed with useful information. (No connection to author). Mick.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
09/09/2021 07:24:40

Thank you for the information gents. I am still ploughing through the recommendations and links. Strangely it seems that the cheapo varieties often have more functions than more expensive models. In particular a setting for DC current.

Mick

07/09/2021 15:39:17

I have an anniversary coming up which my beloved always marks with a present and that thought has sparked off this thread. I need a new multimeter but there are dozens out there at all sorts of prices and specs. As I am less than proficient in electronics I would really appreciate some guidance on a good value for money piece of kit that will last me a few years. I sometimes mess about with simple circuitry to complete a model so I would like something with the usual diode/ transistor tester, DC current/voltage, continuity tester, resistance measurement. So nothing too sophisticated required, just reliability and ease of use. Any ideas?

Mick

Thread: Small dc brushed motors
23/08/2021 08:40:49

A lot of the information that you require can be found on The Component Shop website catalogue.

Mick

Thread: Watch glasses
17/08/2021 15:20:17

Thanks for the help gents. My problem was really in misinterpreting the online images which made the glasses look as if they were flanged. Now that I know otherwise, no problem, just order 1mm larger than the aperture.

Mick

17/08/2021 12:16:06

Trevor....H S Walsh very helpful. I think that i now have the information I require. Some accurate measurement now required.

Mick

17/08/2021 12:01:35

Trevor......no, but I will get onto them now.

Ian.......they won't give any fitting advice.

I have taken another look at website photos and I now have a feeling that watch glasses do not have a flange. Can anyone confirm?

Mick

17/08/2021 10:18:07

Hallo all. I am building a model submarine and wish to fit two viewing domes into 35mm diameter apertures. I believe that high dome watch glasses would be suitable if siliconed in, but having no experience with watch glasses I have to ask the apparently stupid question......does a 35mm watch glass fit a 35mm aperture? I ask this because the watch glasses also seem to have a flange which is OK provided that it is the glass and not the flange which gives the 35 mm measurement.

I have tried contacting suppliers direct but they are so cagey and refuse to give advice on measurement. Why? So I have asked the question at the fount of common sense!

Mick

Thread: Taper reaming
17/08/2021 09:36:39

What a superb video as posted by Nick. No excess verbiage or ego that accompanies modern offerings.

Mick

Thread: Best soldering iron for electronics
19/07/2021 09:12:47

I need a soldering iron to work on some simple electronic circuits but I am astonished at the numbers of models available. Some seem ridiculously expensive and some seem ridiculously cheap. I don't do much electronics work and ideally would like an adaptable iron for other small scale work. Your recommendations please.

Mick

Thread: GPO test meter fault
14/06/2021 13:51:32

Made a bit of a hash of the photo upload. Hope they are of some use.

Mick

14/06/2021 13:50:15

img_2498.jpgimg_2497.jpgimg_2496.jpgimg_2495.jpgimg_2494.jpgimg_2492.jpgPhotos are now attached. They don't show a lot though because the circuit board has soldered tamperproofing by the look of it. (good thing when I am wielding a screwdriver).img_2493.jpg

14/06/2021 08:06:04

Thanks Anthony. This meter is an old analogue type and whilst I also suspect a fuse problem I can't find a fuse.

Mick

14/06/2021 07:30:52

My SA9083 model ex GPO test meter has developed a fault on the 5 amp DC current sector. The 500 mA and 50 mA sectors work OK. Can anyone with experience of this meter offer any advice on remedying this situation.

Mick

Thread: uv ballast
09/06/2021 20:47:06

I managed to find a company (International Lamps Ltd), that actually assists with telephone enquiries as opposed to email enquiries which are never answered. Anyway, spoke to a knowledgeable chap who was able to tell me that the original ballast is no longer available and suggested an alternative based on the wattage of the bulb.(9 watts). Apparently the original ballast was rated at 18W and probably designed for 2x9W bulbs. He reckoned that this would not help with the longevity of the bulbs which seem to blow with monotonous frequency.

Is UV available from LED technology? Forgot to ask him that.

Mick

09/06/2021 14:41:46

When the postie arrived with a replacement uv lamp for my pond I broke off what I was doing in the workshop to fit it....after all it would only take a minute or two. Wrong again. It did not work. The uv tube is new, I have replaced the starter, the wiring checks out for continuity which leaves the ballast. My knowledge of "ballasts" is even less than my knowledge of model engineering. The defective (?) one is a Tridonic EC18 LC501 K which do not seem to be available. How do I establish which alternative to fit. The uv bulb is 9W.

Mick

Thread: Mitutoyo Digital Callipers
26/05/2021 07:06:47

Mitutoyo used to offer a refurbishment service for their equipment. Not exactly cheap at £50-£60 for callipers last time I enquired but better than £115 as I am told the tool is returned "as new".

Mick

Thread: Penetrating Sealant
18/05/2021 06:28:01

Three cheers for Captain Tolley and his Creeping Crack Cure. It works a treat if you follow the instructions (even if it does sound a bit like a rear end medicament). I left the boat to dry out and applied the cure to every minute crevice I could find. A few applications and a couple of days drying out and the boat is now sound. Thanks everyone for your interest.

Mick

12/05/2021 16:52:56

Thank you for your advice gents. I did try creeping crack cure and failed. I now know why and Nigel has mentioned it above. Obviously there was water still trapped within the joint! If I had read Captain Tolley's advice it may well have been successful. I will have to leave it in the sun to dry out which it eventually must do, surely. Not sure how to apply a vacuum Duncan but will think about it. Perhaps a little high pressure air might force it out but again not as easy as it sounds.

Mick

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest