By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mick H

Here is a list of all the postings mick H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: aching ribs - posture
18/05/2019 08:26:34

Hopper/Bandersnatch. Both right. I also have the habit, my wife tells me, of holding my breath when doing finicky bits. That probably doesn't help.

Mick

17/05/2019 16:30:25

I have raised the lathe so that the mandrel is at about 40 inches and this is useful.

That is still about 8 to 10 inches lower than mine, which sits on top of a 40 inch bench, plus two-inch risers. But if you are 5'2" tall it should work

It was a rotten guestimate of mine Hopper. It is my bench that is 40 inches and the lathe mandrel at 50 inches so about the same as yours. I was out and about today in the garden doing allsorts including lifting and some ladderwork without a hint of discomfort. I have an hypothesis forming......I am becoming allergic to model engineering.

Mick

17/05/2019 06:52:41

Thank you for your replies gents. Although in no way wishing this discomfort on anyone else, it is good to know that I am not the only one experiencing it. I have raised the lathe so that the mandrel is at about 40 inches and this is useful. The idea of a raised vice (together with the caveats) is also something I will put into use as I seem to spend a lot of time filing etc. Perhaps some specific exercises will also assist.

Mick

16/05/2019 17:35:09

For some time I have had a dull ache in my ribs when working in the workshop. Serious causes have been eliminated and it appears to be caused by poor posture. I am naturally a bit round shouldered and standing fettling small items accentuates this stance and brings on, at times, considerable discomfort.. No other activities bring it on. Does anyone else get this and if so what remedies are successful?

Mick

Thread: V4 Oscillator "Simple"
22/04/2019 11:29:03

Has anyone built the V4 Oscillator "Simple", originally from a design in a Dutch ME type magazine. The plans I have were drawn up by J.A.M.DeWaal ?

Mick

Thread: Removing a grub screw
15/04/2019 18:32:40

The last time I was stuck like this I drilled out the centre of the grub with a carbide drill and the resulting "cylinder" with the threads came out easily with a tight fitting screwdriver.

Mick

Thread: Ferric chloride
09/04/2019 08:13:35

Oxygen is a catalyst to the reaction and it should speed things up.

Adding Hydrogen Peroxide from the chemist will provide the necessary extra oxygen and it works well.

Mick

Thread: Vertical Boiler - blower?
14/03/2019 21:36:49

Thanks for the interest gents. I do run the exit steam up the chimney and everything goes well when I do so. It is when I stop the motor and there is no exit steam going up the chimney that I have noticed that the fire seems to burn less enthusiastically. On a loco. it is at this point that I use the blower to stimulate the fire until the steam to the pistons is turned on again whereupon the blower is turned off. I only use the steam raising fan when first starting the boiler from cold. Primary air enters through the holes in the No.5 gas jet tube and there is plenty of secondary air available to the burner which burns with a stable blue flame. I am overall very pleased with the situation but just wondered whether results would be worth the effort of including a blower for use when the motor is turned off. It may be that reducing the gas supply when the motor is turned off will achieve the same thing.

Mick

14/03/2019 10:22:47

Thanks Fizzy. It is gas fired. It comes up to steam well with an external steam raiser down the smokestack but the fire (ceramic burner) can be a bit sluggish when there is no exhaust from the motor to gee things up a bit. I suspect also that there is incomplete combustion judging by the smell when the motor is not running. When the motor is running I could not ask more from this littIe boiler which is only 2.5 in in diameter. have had the same experience with gas fired loco.

Mick

14/03/2019 09:26:44

Am I going over the top fitting a blower to the vertical boiler I am building? I don't recall ever seeing one elsewhere or on plans.

Mick

Thread: Steam fittings
13/02/2019 09:07:06

I have looked through all of my suppliers' catalogues but, surprisingly, no trace. Easy to make though.

Mick

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition - Alexandra Palace
14/01/2019 21:24:43
Posted by Mike Poole on 14/01/2019 16:51:26:
Posted by mick H on 14/01/2019 08:59:55:

I really fancy a trip to this one but it will cost me the thick end of £100 (from Boston) just to get to the door from what I can see online. Just off to the station to interrogate the ticket office on best value but not expecting much satisfaction. My cousin who lives in Milton Keynes can get there and back for £13.

Mick

How about starting a thread for a lift if anyone is going from your area? Costs to be shared or whatever arrangement could be made.

Mike

Anyone going in that direction from Boston?

Mick

14/01/2019 15:23:19

Thanks for that Speedy. I did find an on line deal that looked as if two single tickets would reduce the cost to just over £50 but the moron at Boston flatly denied that it was possible even though I produced a computer printout with the details...she just thrust it back at me with a contemptuous snarl. Serious attitude problem with rail staff it would appear from the stories one hears and reads about and experiences. A drive to Peterborough is not on the cards for me at the moment but it would cut the cost to about £30.

Mick

14/01/2019 12:01:59

Just got back from Boston ticket office where as anticipated I received no satisfaction or advice other than take it or leave it at £71.40. Not impressed. Will not be going. Driving is not an option (but I am not banned!).

Mick

14/01/2019 08:59:55

I really fancy a trip to this one but it will cost me the thick end of £100 (from Boston) just to get to the door from what I can see online. Just off to the station to interrogate the ticket office on best value but not expecting much satisfaction. My cousin who lives in Milton Keynes can get there and back for £13.

Mick

Thread: Schrader Tap
05/01/2019 13:08:32
Posted by mick H on 02/01/2019 08:47:33:

Whilst on the subject of Schrader valves, what is the internal thread that takes the valve insert?

Mick

Michael's link gives it at 5.30 x .7 something , but fiddling around this morning, !BA is as near as dammit and seems to work well.

Mick

02/01/2019 08:47:33

Whilst on the subject of Scrader valves, what is the internal thread that takes the valve insert?

Mick

Thread: Leaking camera batteries
29/12/2018 12:21:28

I had a go at it this morning, starting with what I consider to be the least innocuous, meths, and it worked very well as far as I can see. I am not getting the "change batteries" screen any more. Monitoring continues. Thank you all for your advice.

Mick

28/12/2018 19:12:43

Thanks gents. I have got some switch cleaner, WD40  and meths. Will try it out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mick

Edited By mick H on 28/12/2018 19:13:15

28/12/2018 15:46:01

Went to take a picture today and found that the Lithium AA cells in the camera had leaked. What can be used to neutralise the battery fluid and prevent further damage and corrosion. I think that anything water soluble will damage the circuitry and I am tempted to try a blast with an aerosol brake or carburettor cleaner. Any other ideas gents?

Mick

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest