By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Time code Updates with clock change
01/11/2021 13:20:08

Talking to the dog walker she tells me they have no clocks in their house, so no time changes. They rely on their mob. phones.

01/11/2021 10:30:38

Yesterday, Sunday, the TV still had not changed time. I havent bothered to look this morning.

Thread: What is it
31/10/2021 08:02:53

It is a Valve seat cutter/grinder spindle, the wire cage is to take up the size of the valve seat guide. Nothing to do with gun barrel cleaning or wrapping abrasive cloth around. You get a set of them with the valve grinding machine and various valve grinding hobs to fit tye size of valve you are cutting.

Thread: Sewage dumping
25/10/2021 07:49:12

It seems this sewage bill will come up for a second reading shortly, perhaps there will be a change.

24/10/2021 22:12:02

I have just read on another forum the MP's, 256 of them voted to allow water treatment companies to discharge sewage into the rivers and the sea!

Thread: Saving the Planet … or is it ?
24/10/2021 09:11:27

In tye 70's I lived rurally and about 1 km away was a dog food processing plant. The workers were local and I would often be woken at night and could hear the whine of the fans of the freezer which unfortunately were pointed towards the houses.

Sublimal noise is disturbing as is the noise from the new generating windmills filling our countryside and offshore locations.

Read one report by a farmer who is paid good money for allowing these big fans on his land, but, since he has suffered illness and bothersome noise and wishes now he had not allowed the machines on his land. The price of progress! Bah.

23/10/2021 22:07:49

We are now exhorted to throw out our gas boilers and fit heat exchange type machines. Boris is seeing a green image for the future which does not tie in with anyones situation.

A article in one of the papers today told of a renovation using a heat exchange system that was virtually useless in operation and needed substantial backup heating, aka, wood burner!

Apart from the initial cost of such an installation I understand that the amount of heat obtained is not a lot. I think I will see my gas boiler out by the time I leave this cold freezing country.

It is obvious that the planned but useless changes will cost Billions paid by us. It will have to be a dramatic machine to replace the normal gas boiler for domestic purposes. Pie in the sky I think.

Point is that the time scale for all these changes are not on our side, ie. Nuclear stations which take 20 years to design and build. Norway is very lucky having ample Hydro resouces, perhaps they can sennd us some spare.

Thread: Help with a broken Sieg Super X3
20/10/2021 14:38:00

My Sieg 3 has two speed ranges, Hi and low. Check the knob on the side of the head.

I have not found any Torque problems on mine using the two speed range, perhaps get a hand book of user instructions?

Thread: Hornby on TV
13/10/2021 14:22:07

Obviously the moulding dies have been made and the end product the Loco is being tested but, boring to watch.

Again, production in China and it looks as if very little mech. work is done in Hornby. Packaging I am sure.

I saw the lathe behind the scxene, what make was it.?

Thread: Build a Pallet Beehive
08/10/2021 13:24:24

One aspect of beekeeping is that where there are several colonies say in a 2 to 3 km. radius there is a Drone congregation sets itself up.The Queens will find this Drone congregation to mate.

This has been confirmed by scientific observations.

Now, no Drone congregation there will be no mating of Queens.

I had a friend who set up a colonie of 3 hives and he had so much trouble with them. Moved to a more colonied area and has'nt looked back.

The idea of leave alone beekeeping is not new, it means that the best working bees and Queens survive and you get a honey harvest.

Manipulated colonies do seem to suffer problems as people dabble at beekeeping and disturb them.

Thread: Another what is it?
04/10/2021 13:16:08

If you have a spring loaded spindle, perhaps the main pivot of and optical level you use this gauge to test the turning force that is specified.

Thread: Crankshaft Factory
04/10/2021 07:45:25

It is possible these three throw crankshafts are for a 3 cylinder tractor engine, they seem quite common in some places.

My farmer friend has one.

02/10/2021 22:38:02

Lathes being switched off and on by the wall switch, no emergency switch!

Thread: Has anyone heard of this before…dopey dogs…
24/09/2021 07:36:01

Re, the armoured cable. I was friends with a farmer and he kept chickens and pigs and had 3 phase power to his machinery, grain milling and boiling equipment for pig food.

The cables ran along the top of the walls and were run on a catenery btween buildings. he asked me one day to fit a new cable and showed me where the rats had taken off all the sheathing from the red,blue and yellow cables as they ran along the wall. This was evident as the rats droppings were all coloured!

Duly fitted new cables, armoured and thought to myself, job well done, except that a couple weeks later i saw that the rats had taken off the plastic outer sheathing and left bare the armoured wire! They would also go across the catenary wires to get from one building to another.

In we go with two Jack Russels, Oh boy, how they worked the rats. First night about 20 or so and this went on for months. There ssemed to be no end to them until the chickens and pigs were sold off, now there are no rats.

24/09/2021 06:52:48

My Airedale has dug a hole in the corner of the garden, half her hieght in depth, if she keeps going I will not have to dig much out to lay her to rest. What pzzles me is she digs and then pees there?

Thread: Soft floor and lathe...
21/09/2021 18:55:08

I have set up Milling machines and lathes on a soft floor, I obtained lengths of 100 mm x 12 mm alu. plate and allowed about 150mm extra length outside the legs of the machines. No apparent problems occured.

Thread: Back to Imperial
21/09/2021 12:39:18

Having worked for a Swiss firm for many years the there never was a split of metric measure, it was always meters/millimeters. 1.155 as an example. Not once in 37 years did i see cm used to give measure.

Thread: Old gear
18/09/2021 22:08:49

This gear is stated to be bronze or Non ferrous, spark test how?

Thread: Back to Imperial
18/09/2021 22:05:26

A report today say the the US school system will teach metric as from 2023. so if the US goes metric all the rest will follow.

17/09/2021 12:50:33

But is it? most people now accept metric as it is widely used for wood and various sizes.

Just learn to use both standards, all white goods give metric sizing. So a DRO ihas the switch between the two, good.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest