By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rust and how to remove it.
04/08/2011 21:18:22
There was a Mutiny in the Navy because the Higher ups wanted all the tea 'Fannies' polished bright.
The Matelots mutinied and the order was reversed.
They said that the tea tasted different when made in a polished tea urns and that it only tasted right in an urn coated with Tannin!
Another bit of useless information for you.

Clive
Thread: hole size for tight fit
04/08/2011 07:52:27
At the size of 6mm then a reamered hole is fine. The grubscrews (two) should be placed at 90 degrees apart.
If cone point then dimple the shaft.
This is the way its done on the Theodolites I work on.

Clive
Thread: Milling Machine
02/08/2011 16:40:20
I posted earlier about T slot covers, I have since found them again and the are on the Wabeco site.
If you look for the milling machines you will see, 'Ask price,' click on that and they are in that listing.
They are for 14 and 16 mm widths. Bit expensive for three pieces though!

Clive
Thread: Cutting oil
02/08/2011 13:55:40
For small work I use WD 40, I have a plastic lid and I spray a little into it and use a small brush.
This works on steel, brass and some plastics.
I also use it when drilling.

Clive
Thread: Don't assume the obvious
31/07/2011 21:57:53
There has been a distinct 'dumming down' of english and grammar for some years. Spelling is a clear example.
Dont ever ask for a handwritten CV because you will end up reading at 45 degrees as you come to the bottom of it.
Spidery writing slowly slanting down the page as you read of outward bound course and that the subject was 'Akela' in the scouts!
When in the army I was seconded to the Recruiting Office opposite Charing Cross station in London and one of the first things I was told, 'Get them to write their name and address on the form'.
Sure enough the first lot came in and then they left when they could not write the required name and address, they could not read or write!
I find a lot of young people are numerically disenchanted and cannot do mental arithmetic or carry out simple calculations without a calculator.
Further to this is a complete lack of knowedge of fractions and conversion of same to decimal.
There is also the lack of knowledge of Imperial measurements which in engineering are a must.
As for understanding a juvenile text message then I am dumb!

Clive
31/07/2011 19:14:02
Drawings usually tell what metal or materiel is to be used when making something and if it is supplied then the supplier will send the right materiel!
Given that instructions or the written word describe the sequence of operations for the skilled and the novice.
Matching the material to the component is then up to the engineer skilled or not.
Apart from that the skill level of the person is the level that he will work at and if it is poor he will ask questions and that is what this Forum is for.
Some of the questions this last week are very basic and maybe the person asking should not at that point be doing what he is asking about until his skill rating is upped a bit!
Letting a novice loose on a machine of any sort without supervision is criminal and if an injury occurs then watch out.
Nomenclature can catch the most wary person out particularly with shortened names and ambigous instructions.
I would never expect a layman to go into a forge and make a Horse Shoe but after watching and helping the Blacksmith and over time could start making horse shoes.
Only little ones at first of course.
So, clear and unambigous instructions or descriptions are a must. Clear and helpful tutoring will then give experience over time and then an Engineer is born!

Clive
31/07/2011 08:27:13
Grammar! Who learnt it?
Phospho Bronze is correct and in the first instance of use in full, ' PB' from then on.
Uninitiated engineers will just have to learn the basics as nowadays all young people expect instant satisfaction or boredom will set in! We cannot have that can we!
When they ask a question (If they can formulate a question from what they do not know, then it gets an answer here)
There are so many things in engineering that are common knowledge, learnt through experience and ability.
Intimate knowledge of different threads and forms. K factor for tapping metric threads and angles for cutting tools.
Even down to recognising and naming different types of wood are all essentials in the game.
Since the last Gobment changed Education so much and did away with all the hands on lessons like metal work and woodwork and let them do painting instead we have at least a generation of numbskulls in the 'Hand to brain interface' with no skills other than button pushing!
Yes, before you jump we had an Apprentice who had to be pushed all the way and could not remember what he was told from one day to the next. He did get a certificate and it felt as if I was doing it for him. He then immediately left to work on the Signalling equipment on the railway! All that wasted effort, never again.

Clive
Thread: Milling Machine
28/07/2011 19:44:11
I have seen on one of the tool suppliers web sites a pack of plastic inserts that go into the T slot and stop swarf falling in. I have just looked but cannot remember which one it was!

Clive
Thread: Linked drive belts from RDG
25/07/2011 08:33:23
Ian, It looks as if it was a Piper monoplane, what type I dont know but likely an Aztec or Comanche.

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 25/07/2011 08:38:25

25/07/2011 08:30:16
I have just found Bearingboys.co.uk and they sell link belt13mm at £26.55 per mtr and 5 mtrs for £117.74 but they sell cogged belts of 753mm outside dia. for £ 2 - 3 each.
So it looks as if RDG are a bargain.

Clive
Thread: Locomotive axle length- clearance between wheels and axle boxes
24/07/2011 22:35:34
I also 'Rounded' the axle brg. guides so that the axles could rise and fall without binding.
That is one wheel of the axle could lift and not stick in the guides, hard to describe but essential. Particularly on the Evening Star with all those wheels.

Clive
24/07/2011 15:10:26
Hello Ian, I presume it was a Cessna. I flew from Wilson Airport in Nairobi to strip called Loyangaleni in the Northern Frontier District of Kenya.
This is alongside Lake Rudolph where we fished for Nile perch.
The strip was very short and had a clump of Pandenis palms at the end and it was a bit hair raising.
I really have no idea what make of aircraft it was but assumed it was a Cessna at that time. This in the time period 1963/4
All I noticed was a lot of vee belts driving the prop from the engine shaft underneath it.
It was a low wing plane and could carry four people. That maybe describes loads of small planes? This plane was definately belt driven! I know someone will now make a joke about that.

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 24/07/2011 15:11:03

Thread: Locomotive axle length- clearance between wheels and axle boxes
24/07/2011 10:19:04
This is interesting as I am making a 2-10-0 Evening Star in three and a half inch gauge and I also wondered about axle end float.
With 10 driving wheels the Evening Star has a problem getting around curves and the driving links have a lot of end float as well.
I did find some very close tolerance at the front end of the chassi but managed to clear that.
You cannot scale down and achieve all the same clearances as a full size loco.
Your clearances sound about right though Peter.

Clive
24/07/2011 10:14:42
This must be a big problem with the Cessna aircraft, I have seen the drive from the engine to the propellor where it was at least six belts driving the propellor shaft.
I did think at the time, 'What happens if a belt snaps'.

Clive
23/07/2011 16:36:40
I have just checked a couple of websites for the cost of linked belt and its almost triple what RDG are charging per Mtr.
I could not find any that were less than £35 per Mtr.

Clive
22/07/2011 08:11:35
All the reports sound very positive so i think I will replace the the 'V' belts I have at the moment with the link type, thank you all for the comments.

Clive
21/07/2011 08:06:37
Looking to change the drive belts on my ML10 and wonder if the link type nbelts advertised from RDG will do the job?
Has anyone used these belts and can comment.
They would save dismantling the headstock.

Clive
Thread: Extending X capability of KX1?
20/07/2011 09:57:36
My work was once on Plotting tables where the 'Cut and Peel' materiel was held in place by vaccuum . The table was aluminium and had numerous small holes drilled uniformly all over at about 10 to 15mm spacing. The table was at least 1Mtr square and there was never any shift of the 'Cut an Peel' materiel. It had a porous matting placed on the surface.
I have used the vaccuum method on an engraving machine on thin perspex which is difficult to cut and engrave and incidently is not flat but has undulations on its surface!
The items were line engraved and legend placed on it and then cut out as a shape.
It worked very well.
I did note that you were using an adhesive underlay but only offered the vaccuum method as a viable alternative.
The machining marks indicate that the cutter lip is picking up and and carrying a bit of plastic which is stuck on the cutter face. This is much like the build up on a lathe tool.
It might help if you use a single lip cutter as it runs cooler.
A continuous air jet can keep things cool.

Clive
Thread: Hex shank drills
20/07/2011 09:44:49
I have noticed that the hex. shank drills usually appear in the packs of drivers and bits in the pound shops! Quality is non existant at that price.
Why not make your own. A bit of an allen key and drilled and the shank of the drill polished and soldered into the drilled Hex. piece.
Simples, a nice home made accurately running drill. If not, try again.

Clive
Thread: Extending X capability of KX1?
19/07/2011 09:06:50
Have you considered a vaccuum table to hold down the styrene you are machining?
You could make a table exactly the size you require and again using pegs relocate for the next step of macining.
A good vaccuum machine would give all you all the suction you require.
The table will have to have a lot of small holes drilled in it where your workpiece sits.
I do believe these sort of vaccuum tables are available commercially.

Clive
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest