By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flooding
22/01/2021 14:00:16

Breed more beavers, we plant more trees and the Beavers can chew them down!

Thread: Standards of Electrical Wiring
14/01/2021 22:29:59

Reminds me of Hong Kong with the side walks under the builing overhang, nice when it rained.

On the ceiling of the overhang were bare 3 phase wiring so that a shop/house could connect easily.

Opposite where I worked was a Rubber shoe factory and they had a fire, up comes the fire brigade and connected up the hoses and directed the water into the building and hit the 3 phase cables under the overhang, flash, bang and all the lights went out over quite an area. We could do nothing as we had a 3 mtr high fence there between us. 3 or 4 people were electrocuted. Mostly recovered whle we watched. sadly 1 girl died of smoke inhalation in the building.

Thread: Binocular loupe
14/01/2021 22:19:05

As said, the cost of named optical Loues is because they are made from glass lenses. The other type described are plastic and are mass produced maybe in China.

The named Loupe by Zeiss made specially for Dental and medical work are special and fully corrected for optical errors and colour correction.

Leica also make medical and dental optics and the prices are horrendous for the likes of us.

I made sighting optics to fit on the side of long range Infra Red measuring systems and the little 4 x scope was £400.

A leica T2 Collimator is £2000 plus, but allows focus from infinity to just 2 or 3 mtrs.

These scopes are panalactic where the field of view does not change as you focus.

Thread: microscope eyepiece dismantling
06/01/2021 14:12:29

I have seen this before, the angled ring with the cut in it is usually a left hand thread and turned opposite to the collar.

They are often quite hard to turn but pressing in on the cut will start the unscrewing. be aware that the Kilopoise comes in a few different viscosities.

Thread: Engraving machine to milling machine.
04/01/2021 18:50:22

I think you may find rigidity a problem.

Thread: microscope graticule cleaning - recommendations required
04/01/2021 18:49:24

Cleaning of optical lenses and graticules, after many years at Leica the standard cleaning agent is Ether.

Do not flood any lens or glass, a slightly ether moistened 'Q' tip and gently clean dirt and oil, grease away, maybe two or three times.

If you have a clean Selvyt cloth then gently polish one way. If no selvyt cloth then washed clean cotton, ie. handerkerchief..

There are some photo/camera cloths available which do a good job as well.

Thread: Motor for a gyroscope.
01/01/2021 08:46:14

When I worked on the Wild heerbrugg Gyro's the motors were 3 phase driven, made by Rellensman.

Obsolete now, the power was passed to the motor through very fine tapes.Battery powered

The accuracy was about 20 secs. for magnetic North and sets were run and measurements taken to ascertain the true heading and accuracy, very tedious to do.

In fact they were used to align the weapons system in aircraft. The maritime aircraft had a powerful light and it had to point where they wanted it see the target. One system salvaged from Blue streak was used by the artillery to self locate for indirect firing but again was very finicky to set up and use. That one ran in a container of liquid that needed heating and was susceptable to cold wind on one side. so had a shield around it.Run up time was something like 20 to 30 minutes.Again obsolete now.

Thread: cateracts.
26/12/2020 09:47:25

Hello Phil, no, not 20/20 vision as close vision is lacking and I will need close up glasses but I can see out to 4 to 500 meters clearly. If I look at the Moon then it is not absolutely clear.

Put it this way, I am happy to see better than I did with the Cateract formation.

I still maintain tat the Cateracts started with the prescription of Ramipril BP drug, in fact I checked on the internet and found two entries where they stated that Ramipril will increase the risk of Cateracts in older people quoting up to 32% of aged people developing them. Interesting that those entries have now been taken down.

25/12/2020 22:29:12

Some follow up, I too noticed the clarity of colours. Previously I would have an illumimation if there was a side light etc from the side. This was quite annoying but now of course it has gone.

The test for driving eyesight is to read a number plate at 20 meters. Thats ok now.

I did read in the paper that the eyehospital in London are to increase cateract ops. by 9 teams doing 30 a day as the backlog has increased enormously since corona virus disrupted things.

Regarding the cost, this includes a room and meals, quite a nice set up and almost personal service. The process takes about 5 or 6 hours in that hospital with pre-op. checks and after checks and you cannot leave until you have eaten and had a hot drink.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 25/12/2020 22:35:09

Thread: A Christmas Conundeum - to Case Harden or not to Case Harden?
25/12/2020 16:49:39

Case hardening can be done just on the wear points, The cam followers should also be hardened. For occasional use you will not need deep hardening.

Thread: cateracts.
25/12/2020 16:46:36

I had a lot of good information when I enquired about cateracts a whole back.

Following this and with due regard to the Corona virus I sought private eye care. Ended up with The Alexandra hospital in Medway.

After two appointements to check what my eyes were doing at £175 a throw. I was then called in for the left eye to be done. This went very well and I had good sight on completeion. Cost private at £2112.

Then a few weeks later called back for the right eye but this one I ended up with a black eye ! Not to worry as the resulting sight is again good, cost again £2112.

So Corona virus has been a very expensive time for me, in July last year my boiler went bust and due to not being able to get spares (Corona virus again) I had to have a complete new system fitted, cost £5000.

So my kitty for a steam boiler for my engine has gone and now I am unlikely to finish the loco.

Due to age and asthma I have been in lockdown since March like many of us. Not being able to see 3 new Great Grandchildren yet. Luckily my youngest Son and his wife live local and they have been great. My other Son in the US is also in lockdown but has managed a takeover of the firm he works for and is now the new MD.

My next eldest bro. now 89 had both eyes done for cateracts on the NHS, a complete mess as far as he is concerned as he has far sight in one eye and close sight in the other and finds it all very disconcerting.

Thread: Grenfell
23/12/2020 14:21:34

Local Councils take their pension cut, I understand that 14% of monies paid in Council tax go towards pensions for their staff.

Thread: Good Old British Weather?
16/12/2020 15:10:12

This is more than likely caused by the Dew point. When I go to bed the cement path is dry, no rain, but in the motning it is all wet. The path is colder than the air and the dew condenses on the paths so the air must be full of moisture.This no doubt also gets into your workshop to condense on the cold machinery.

Luckily, I have a spur radiator in the garage and it keeps the garage dry, It was in tere when I bought the house and have never had any rust problems. It comes on with the central heating each year.

Thread: Our 10 Day workshop "respite"
29/11/2020 22:23:00

Great pics. Joseph, takes me back to my NFD days in kenya.

Thread: Fluorescent tube wall lights
29/11/2020 10:02:57

Mmm, ventilation, I did that with a wall light and come the Summer it started to be a home for Thunderbugs. The next time I opened it up it was full of the little blighters all dead.

Thread: What am I?
27/11/2020 07:54:47

Henry, indeed, a hands on engineer whichever trade/following taken. The quiet man who will take the item and re-furbish it or repair and return and in many cases better than new.

It takes many years to reach that Artisan status and I find they are not just an engineer but have deeper intersts in many things and through that experience gain knowledge etc.

26/11/2020 14:55:40

A tale, and engineer came to me to use my lathe, OK, lots of cursing and swearing so I looked over his shoulder to see the lathe going in reverse! Now he was a qualified engineer with some title or other whereas i was a Technician.

Every time he hit a buffer he would come to me to fix and sort, so was I better than him? but without the title?

Now he was not the only one who was like that but was paid good money for it.

I understand that some CNC workers can programme machine code to make parts on the machines but cannot do bench work and have no knowledge of materiels or general workshop procedure.

Thread: Suggestions for lathe-only projects?
25/11/2020 22:52:18

A useful item for Xmas would be a Nut Cracker made from bar stock. It needs a thread, and all parts can be done in the lathe

Thread: What am I?
25/11/2020 07:39:24

If you have the ability then you are an Artisan, the high falutin so called engineers with degrees and qualifications are hard put to fix things so pass it down to the Artisan.

Thread: Multifix toolholder Vendors
16/11/2020 07:23:48

Having used Multifix tool holders on a Schaublin lathe for 20 years or so I cannot recommend them enough, they allow you to postion tools as you want and take seconds to set up.

The range of holders is good allowing various tools to be used. they are compatable with one particular cutting tool system. But they are expensive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest