By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford cross slide backlash
20/02/2019 13:46:11

There is a bearing modification for Myford cross slides, see ARC's page for details which needs a bearing and modification of the spindle mount.

To do mine I used the mount off my vertical slide so it was a straight swop.

Find details in Arc's page under projects at the bottom of the listings.

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
19/02/2019 11:22:01

With all the complaints I am going to catch one of those Civet cats and feed it raw Coffee beans and when it craps wash and dry the beans and then roast them and sell for a huge profit.

This subject has been good fun with all the diversions of coffee and tea and sundry hardware.

Clive

19/02/2019 08:02:12

Re. the hard water, here in Kent we have deep well water from the boreholes in the chalk. Southern water also have authority to draw water from the river medway above maidstone. Not sure if they mix it or if it is pumped one or the other but occasionally while having a shower the soap with lather beautifally, the next day it will not due to hard water.

People who live in hard water areas seem to enjoy less heart problems?

18/02/2019 19:06:21

Of course during the war the Germans made coffee from roasted Acorns which had to be kept in running water for about 14 days to remove the Oxalic acid before processing.

I judder to think what it tasted like.

16/02/2019 23:05:11

One thing I have never understood is drinking coffee made from beans that have passed through an animal and then roasted and ground. This coffee fetching a very high price!

16/02/2019 23:02:43

To Martin, the coffee in Kenya was strictly controlled in the number of trees that a landowner could grow. My neighbour was allowed 22 trees only which just about satisfied his requirements.. Even then he took the beans to the central roasting place and asked for a certain length of roast.

Further to this is the type of coffee tree, They develop different types and they are given numbers, I remember no. 22.This because some trees are grown at higher altitude making a smaller harder bean. The red Murram soil also had an effect on the taste.

The different beans were roasted at a set time and this gave the mild taste or a much more sharper taste Also depended on the type of grind so maybe no.3 and no.5 were fine and a coarser blend. This blend was one which suited the taste of myself and wife. we just followed a friends reccomendation.

I recently had a question from a friend who resides in Tonga about roasting beans, Trouble is he has no resources to make a roaster but then it all became academic as the Hurricane a few weeks later ripped all the trees out. He lost everything, mangos, coffee, coconuts etc and had to start all over again. By the way he only had one coffee tree.

16/02/2019 09:27:47

I worked at Leica for a few years and they had a contraxt coffee machine that dispensed a cardboard cup then water with coffee in it, plus white powder that simulated milk. This powder I found out is made from casien which is also used to make glue! For some time my stomach was sore and I then started black coffee and the stomach ache went away. I have never used whitener since!

15/02/2019 19:08:07

I had a friend who worked as a tea blender and he said that the tea in most cases was exactly the same whichever teapacket it was packed in. He also told me that they made a different flavour of tea but varying the bergamon oil spray on it. He then gave me a big bag of different tea bages individually packed for lots of different firms and restaraunts plus Harrods and places like that.

In Kenya you could go to the coffee bean roaster and have a choice of 7 different roasts, My choice was half and half of no 3 and no 5. No 7 was very strong. Being all freshly roasted it tasted much better than store bought.

You could see right through the works and see the workers dealing with the roasting beans.

Clive, percolated coffee.

15/02/2019 13:42:53

I read some time ago that the Admiralty ordered that all tea, 'Fannies' on ships had to be cleaned and polished! This almost caused a mutiny in the Navy as the sailors declared that the tea stain in the , 'Fannie' made the tea taste better.

I understand it was all amicably ended when the high ups withdrew the order.

Clive

14/02/2019 14:15:10

Samsaranda, it is not in the tea, they had small tins which they tipped into the urns. I first found it as a white sediment in my pint mug and from that day on I have never finished a cup of tea or coffee. I always leave a half inch or so.

Not that I ever noticed it have any effect on me and I was in for 26 years ffrom the age of 14.

By the way, I found a tin, opened, of Bromide which I picked up and walked into the Company office. I asked the question and was told it was for my own good !

13/02/2019 22:51:20

Use the boiling water to scald a teapot! The best temperature to make tea is 83 F.

maybe using a coffee maker to make TEA is that it is getting too hot, steam is not good for tea nor boiling it.

I make tea in a stainless steel pot, scald it and place a tea bag in the bottom and pour the hot water over it and leave to brew for 3 to 5 minutes, depends what else I am doing at the time. (Cooking) When I go to my son's house he makes one cup of tea with one teabag, it tastes awful to me. Otherwise try Army tea, it is available you will never look back.

Thread: Blacking engraved lines
12/02/2019 08:06:43

The infilling of the engraved lines is best done with a long thin bristle, dipped into the cellulose paint and dragged along the engraved line minimal paint will get onto the surface of the job which saves cleaning off later. The paint dries and makes a meniscus looking surface.

Doing range scales off a field gun was tedious and needed intense concentration, eye strain was common. Make a mistake, scrub it all off and start again.

Let me add that the filling was exposed to the elements and seemed to endure OK.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 12/02/2019 08:07:37

Thread: Aluminium black
11/02/2019 08:45:30

I tried to post last night but it seems it did not go in, as an engraver for some years I filled such items with cellulose black paint. clean/wash parts in thinner and then using a pegwood point drip paint into mark or engraving and leave to harden.

Clive

Thread: Blacking engraved lines
10/02/2019 22:51:13

Having filled many engraved markings the best is to clean in cellulose thinners and then fill with black celluluse paint. wipe off the excess and when hardened use a thinners dampened cloth to clean off the rest of the paint.

Clive

Thread: Talktalk new web site
10/02/2019 08:18:09

Neil, I use Win 7. which is fine for what I need. Again found out that Win 7 is the only one NOT supplied with an email client when first came out.

Something else has popped up, Windows updates cannot get through? because the email cannot send nor receive. One thing always leads to another!

Clive

09/02/2019 22:34:31

Just realized all my contacts are in windows live mail! I must print them off but I bet it does not print addresses!

I will wait till Mon. as then Talktalk techies will come back to me to ask how I got on. Maybe I will stick to talktalk web mail as it is the resipient of all my in mail after all. Gmail can act as my alternate email recipient, this is all really complicated at my age.

Clive.  Just checked and it does print all the details.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 09/02/2019 22:45:31

09/02/2019 15:48:35

I have been reading up on changing pop3 to IMAP on windows live mail, basically you cannot change once the original set up is done to pop3. You have to set another account configured to IMAP. Then drag over any files you want.

Looks like another email client is needed so still looking.

Clive

09/02/2019 15:25:27

I have considered loading another platform, I already have gmail but only because it came with the Google. It is my alternate site for talktalk to contact me whhen things go wrong.

What puzzles me is how do I now connect Windos live mail to the new talktalk ssystem now they have changed the security protocols.

Within the day I will make my mind up about Thunderbird or go with gmail.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Clive

09/02/2019 11:59:46

Re:- Windows live mail. The protocol is POP3 and talktalk suggest I enter the out going Port as 587 and the incoming port as 995 and tick both SSL boxes but this then resets the out and In Ports back to default numbers and the POP3 and outgoing Port to 25. are then highlighted in Blue. It all goes nowhere, Help !

Clive

09/02/2019 11:54:45

Last weekend talktalk started up their latest secure Web Mail site and in doing so crashed out many free standing email clients.

To whit:- Windows live mail. I could send emails but not receive them so had to use the talktalk web mail to read incoming emails, in doing so I fell foul of the security protocols they had installed.

Now I can get to the web mails but do not like the format.

This leaves me with:- Windows Live Mail (I know it is no longer supported but I like the format and how it wiorks) Function wise it now keeps asking for a P/W and after 20 years I can no longer remember the original P/W.

What I cannot get to grips with is how I can get it to receive and sebd again. having changed the P/W it still does not work. what next I ask?

Clive, now soggy minded by all this !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest