By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Part breakout /fixturing
03/07/2020 22:18:58

I have seen the watch movements being machined, they do them in strips of 4 or 5 at a time. They are fed into a slot and the strip lightly clamped and the metal then machined. The component is left with a small thin fillet that they can then breakout.The metal looked like it had a high copper content as it had a red look to it.

Thread: What a silly Vee block this one is!
02/07/2020 15:39:36

That type of 'V' block is normally sold and used in pairs, I have never found pairs that are the same size.They come with a clamp that fits the side grooves. As I only ever used them for round shaft work or setting the graticules in telescpes I never had a problem.

Thread: Ultrasonics and citric acid
30/06/2020 07:21:49

The use of a container in the ultrasonic liquid was standard as far as we were concerned when cleaning oil/grease from optical componebts. I observed the liquid in the container agitating quite happily and would watch as the dirt came out of the parts we could not reach to clean. I have at times used a small quantity of solvent in the container if needed making sure the main liquid was not contaminated.

Further to this we used an aqueous solution called Micro, no connection but it is good stuff. ask for a sample if you contact them and only a 2% solution needed.

Rusted parts need pre-treatment of course.

Thread: Exploding Grinding Wheel
30/06/2020 07:12:46

Many years ago I was witness too a wheel going bang, this was a a large wheel on a crankshaft grinder. It was running up and the operator would wait while it settled but this time it just went, 'Bang' and broke into 3 parts. one through the roof and never found and the other two parts clattered across the floor until they came to rest against solid objects, no one hurt but shock all round.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 30/06/2020 07:13:37

Thread: DYMO labels [safe removal] ... what method ?
20/06/2020 15:44:26

Ambersil label remover works well, gets sticky unfranked stamps off letters

Thread: Bumblebee behaviour
31/05/2020 14:22:17

A good looking swarm, what happens is that the old Queen(Now in that swarm) has left the hive and the hive now has several Queen cells. On ef these cells will hatch out and that Queen will kill the remaining cells and queens. Then, the new Queen will go out to mate a few times and the whole hive cycle will start again for next year. It seems you are the owner of a Bee home.

Now, if you want to keep having them in your shed wall OK but getting rid is hard. You can elimanate them by burning some sulphur smake into the cavity they are in. SAfter you can get into the cavity and remove the combs and honey.

Press the honey thro. ladies tights and bottle.

Extra, it is possible that the next Queen may lead aanother swarm out and so on until the bees are all gone. This does happen sometimes. Have you called anyone to collect the bees?

Thread: Optical Chucks
31/05/2020 08:16:18

The optical plumb that is fitted to the older surveying theodolites would be a good start for an optical cenering device.

They are fitted to the tribrach and can be unscrewed as a seperate part, these items often appear in surveying kit auctions and go for low money. I have made one from the optical plumb I had spare.

Thread: Bird (feathered variety) expert(s) wanted.
31/05/2020 08:11:17

The resident Blackbird singing all day right up to dusk, even had the dog looking up into the Oak tree.

Squirrels already destroyed the Bkackbirds nest and the Blue Tits did not time their hatch right to coincide with the green caterpilar hatch so that brood failed.

Around here the Sparrow hawks take the Ring neck doves and from what i see only eat the brain and a bit of the breast. One often sits on the fence as if digesting a meal. Always alert though. There is a large area of wild wood to my South side where they seem to stay but as yet never seen a nest.

29/05/2020 22:53:41

Definitly a Balckbird, here we are surrounded by Oak trees and the Blackbird sits atop the tree and sings his heart out all day. If you listen carefully you will hear another one answering and maybe more around all about 200 mtrs distance. They maybe setting up their territory which is the only thing I can think of for them to sing so stridently. One bird here that calls is a Green wood Pecker and it flights between the Oaks and clings to the trunk and calls. No wonder it is called a Yaffle with its call.

Thread: Bumblebee behaviour
27/05/2020 13:40:01

OldIron, definitely a Drone bee on the left and likely a worker bee on the right.

Dog went for a Bumble just now and it latched onto the fur around her chpps and she used her left foreleg to get it off, result, a sting on the left foot. Serves her right as she goes for anything that crawls, flys or runs in HER garden.

All OK now after a short walk.

26/05/2020 22:42:53

Honey bee Drones, as said have one peurpose to impregnate the Queen. So they live the life of Rielly being fed and allowed out and in any hive.

It has been established that the Drones congregate in certain areas and circle about and this is where the Queen will head to. As said she will go out several times to mate and each time the the Drone dies but leaves his genitals in the Queen. She comes back and the bees clean her up for the next flight

It has been well researched and happens in the same places each years.

23/05/2020 10:01:37

Cornish Jack, the Asian hornet is a reportable inhestation due to it's predatory attcks on beehives. They hold siege to the hive and the bees will not leeave the hive so stay home to defend it, I assume they have a sense of fear as well?

The asian Hornet is a brown bodied insect 3 Cm long easily distinguished from the normal yellow jacketed hornet that looks like a biiger wasp.

I see no point in any country that protects asian Hornets as it is an alien invader.

I might add that all insects like Bumbles, Honey bees and Leaf cutters etc are all proteced under the wild life and countryside act.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 23/05/2020 10:02:43

23/05/2020 08:18:16

Thoughts on a remote or long range flame thrower.

ChrisH, the Bumble bees do not eat or use wood nor do they remove cement or sand so your structure is safe. For next year in the late Winter stop,up the gaps with sealer. The bees use wax and fur from tyheir bodies to make small honey cups to store nectar. They really are no problem and your fear of an attack is groundless. Bumbles have three stances to repel danger, firstly they will lift two legs towards you then if still endangered will rear up against you with legs out, thirdly they will amble away or try to fly off. Stings are mild and only if you trap or stand on it.

22/05/2020 22:34:58

Hi Frances, sting allergy seems to be on the increase. One instance near me was the Grand Daughter of the Bee shop owner, she was stung by a Honey bee in the window of the shop and then went int anaphylactic shock due to the sting. Sadly she can no longer work in the shop even though she is a director of said Company.She is 22 years old .

It seems all sorts of allergies have become prevelent now from peanuts to herbs.

22/05/2020 15:30:45

Many times I have been called out to Bumbebee nests asked to get rid. One of the most interesting last year was a nest that was using the mouth aperture of a disused fountain display. One of those cement faces that can be attached to a wall. Took me a while to convince the house owner to leave well alone till autumn.

Re the flower biting and attempt to control or make the plant respond. One thing which is quite common on Bean flwers is that they bite a hole at the base of the flower because their proboscis is too short to reach the nectar in the normal way, ie. down the spout of the flower.

This report is the first time I have heard of Bumbles trying to promote the plant to flower. One idea is that due to cold weather plant flowers do not make nectar until 72 hrs. at a constant 68 F. So they may be starving and use this method to speed things up. Bumbles will work at very low temps and I have seen them working a small white shrub flower on Xmas day.

Thread: garden chair, wooden slats broken.
18/05/2020 18:38:46

I have Ash, but I find it almost impossible to work with as it blunts the planer very quickly and it is a tedious job taking out the cutters and sharpening. The saw nearly bounces off it.

Looking now at martin's suggested supplier.

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 18/05/2020 18:39:15

18/05/2020 13:34:09

I think from the look of it it is Iroko wood, I have a sawbench/planer and know about the bad effcts of sawing these woods.

Peak4, I will follow that up as soon as I can.

Thank you Gentlemen for your advice.

Clive

18/05/2020 11:33:31

My garden chair, 2 seater has broken slats through old age.

anyone know of a replacement service for the wood slats?

I could cut my own but what wood?

Thread: Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws
18/05/2020 11:28:21

I do mine with a needle file, I first dress off all the teeth so they are the same hieght and then using a saw set, work each tooth, one left, and the next right. Then I start filing observing the cut so both edges work on each tooth.

Thread: First grandchild, which book?
18/05/2020 11:24:10

I give the parents £500 to open a childs savings acct. This will be a far more remembered act.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest