By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Todays news -- well done
05/04/2020 22:14:39

The Scottish minister has now resigned.

Thread: Possible protection from Covid
03/04/2020 13:50:22

Point is that all garden centers are shut and as such it is a non essential item.

Thread: Magnetism in Stainless steel
01/04/2020 11:58:04

Having had to re-design Optical Theodolites for being non magnetic we discarded S/Steel and went for Bronze.

All the grub screws were changed as some were steel. They had s/steel pins to guide the focus tube so they had to come out and be made of bronze.. spacing rings in the optics as well.

A point here, as the gimbals swing the velosicty will be higher with Alu due to less weight but a non ferrous metal will be slower due to the mass. I have seen cast brass/ bronze gimbals.

You certainly do not want a woildly swinging compass on light gimbals, it should process gently and evenly and not bang about..Fabreicate it from Brass/bronze materiels.

I have seen compasses used on warships as masters that are about 2 to 3 feet in diameter and as deep.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 01/04/2020 12:00:07

Thread: Coronavirus
24/03/2020 11:23:27

Foxes are omnivorous, they can scale any fence and are expert climbers.

Deterrents are Lion poo or other defences are a big dog which will soon leave a scent to stop Mr. Fox.Cats are no use at all.I have no qualm about disposing of Foxes as they wiped out our Chickens, Ducks and Geese. Also ripped open a wooden ark with rabbits in it. They even try to bite the bee hives leaving little teeth marks on the soft Cedar wood. I often see them hanging around the bees. In the orchard as soon as one family is erradicated another will move in and it all starts again. There are ways of baiting them and trapping them but beware, if you are bitten you will have an awful infection, and from mange that they are generally infested with. Nothing iis safe, even hibernating Tortoise are taken and I occasionally find the chewed out tortoise carapace.

23/03/2020 14:03:52

Also very hot to wear unless you have a portable blower

Thread: Ml10 imperial threadcutting
15/03/2020 08:23:26

You need a 40 tooth, a 63 tooth and an 80 tooth change wheel and then you can cut 8 to 80 tpi.

Page 12 in the handbook explains.

Thread: Vaccum for a milling machine.
11/03/2020 22:19:24

Good job you dont have a saw bench and planer as the dust gets everywhere.

Thread: Bending and shear force confusion....
05/03/2020 07:33:53

OK, re-think the whole idea. Some years back i made a press, nice square thread and found that it did not need massive pressure on the pulp. In fact the initial pressure was enough to start the juice flow which then slowed, at this point more partial turning started it again.

If you have a massive turning pressure you will burst the bag with the pulp in it, huge mess to follow.

Actually forcing the pulp does not help it at all. What it needs is a gentle pressure because if forced the juice will be cloudy with particles which means more work later to clear.

The length of handles is not critical, just enough leverage to start the flow and to add a bit later.

Mine was for apple juice which was quite nice. I have a wide variety of apples and mixed cookers and eaters.

Thread: Dog clutch for Myford ML10
04/03/2020 07:41:03

If you do this mod, then get the graduated collar for the right hand end of the shaft. About £25 ? I have done this mod but I seldom use it unless I need to shut of gear drive.

Thread: Hand Wash
04/03/2020 07:38:11

Soap and water for a count of 10, rinse and dry using disposable paper towel.

It is said that face masks are not safe, use once and dispose even if you can get them.

Social distancing, no kissing nor touching hands to face and nose, cheek kissing is off ! (watching people, they pick up and then rub their hand over their face and nose)

Shopping trollies and baskets. Touched by all. The Dettol surface wipes are handy for that. It seems people are more wary now. Symptons start basically with a sore throat and headache, fever and ennui. Older people with deblitating illness already, stay isolated. Further to this it is worth getting a Pnuemonia jab, £70 at Boots. Preven 13 is good.

04/03/2020 07:28:04

No plural for virus in Latin, English is, 'Viruses'.

Thread: T slot cutter of woodruff cutter?
04/03/2020 07:24:56

As stated, Mark is using EN1A, so just do it, no heat treatment needed.

Thread: Metric ML10 lead screw threadform
02/03/2020 07:31:00

On the ML10 the bottom half nut has a grub screw which you can adjust to give minimum clearance between the two half nuts after you have cleaaned out the crud in them. This is a very small skt head grubscrew so you need to get them out to get an alan key to fit. Of course after you have done all this you lose that allen because you forget where you put it!

I am at the moment in the priocess of making a device which sits over the leadscrew to stop all the swarf from falling on the lead screw. Only one part will attach to the carriage and it has a split tube which can easily be detached etc.

Sadly at the moment I am unable to work on it due to a damaged spinal disc. This makes standing around painful. Had three nerve bloc injections a short while back which did nothing! Standing is painful, sitting is painful and disturbed sleep normal now.

Thread: DVLA Scam
01/03/2020 08:12:44

My car tax is duue 1/4/20 so I visited the DVLA site and checked everything, lo and behold I see that I do not have to carry out a car tax function as they tell me that as they have my Debit card number they will inform a bit before and the extract the money. More detail about changing card numberes and failure to have the card process but it seems all OK.

Thread: John Attlee
25/02/2020 11:45:18

I did at times support the Armoured regts in BAOR. on the range the Conquoror was a big squeaky lumbering beast but the gun at 120mm was able to destroy any tank at that time. With HESH it took off lumps of metal from the inside of the target tank and it's APDS went through the target leaving a BIG hole. Sadly one sat outside at 12 Inf. workshop for at least a year waiting for non existant spares.

Later I was to see them as target tanks themselves at Worcop being smashed to pieces by Chieftens.

Thread: Best Milling Machine Ever????
23/02/2020 22:19:07

Schaublin, 13. I had the use at work of this machine and it was manual and a lovely machine to use. It had all the extras and could carry out any operation. It cost £17000 and was recently sold for £ 4500. and then appeared on the market priced at £8000. Nice profit for someone.

Thread: What sort of things DO NOT inspire you
22/02/2020 09:04:02

Being housebound for a while I get to watch a lot of TV, soon it is apparent that TV is a repeat service and I ended up watching documentaries and of all things, Tipping point.

Innate TV programmes do not inspire me. Particularly reality shows, Love island for example, I fear that generation has gone to the dogs.

Thread: Adjusting an M&W level
20/02/2020 07:28:28

Yes, the term is, 'End for End. when adjusting it means that you need a stable base like a lathe bed, or a surface plate. determine the error, end for end and see result, bubble up, screw down and so forth. It is just a matter of adjusting the table your using as well. until bubble settles in both directions when end for ended.

Thread: Tooling and Feedscrew Clutch
20/02/2020 07:21:58

Jeremy, the feed screw clutch is a worthwhile upgrade. Also is the calibrated dial for the end of the lead screw.

You can use this for setting zero for longitudinal cuts. I put that dial to '0' and then move the top slide to touch the work with the tool.( I am still working on a method of having that dial resettable/ moveable. I might have to buy another dial first to do it.)

Another is the cross slide bearing mod. reduces baclash but you would need a spare cross slide brkt. as you cannot use the lathe if you get to mod. the one off the lathe. The one of a vertical slide is the same. I have not found the vertical slide a lot of use having a milling machine to hand.

A set of collets on an M2 holder , make your own draw bar. Segmented drive belts will save you a lot of heartache if you need new belts as you do not need to dismantle the main spindle of the lathe.

Tooling, best buy HSS tooling, some already ground to shape. Tipped tooling, the lathe does not run fast enough to warrant expensive tipped tools. Spend that money on a grindstone. Tipped tooling needs 150% faster speed to cut well.

Lubrication, if a new ball bearing spindle then grease it but if it has oil pots then oil.

Thread: Tool post for Myford ML10 lathe
09/02/2020 07:51:25

Before you start using the vertical slide for milling on the M10 find some way of clamping the saddle as it does not have a saddle clamp.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest