By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
18/04/2019 16:54:15

OK, 303 rifles ammo had corrosive primers and the method of cleaning was to pour boiling water down the barrel and the oil it.. This was still going in 1955 in some units with old ammo stocks.

The idea that the Howitzer is being cleaned with boiling water is more likely correct as the bag charges used would have been ignited with what is called a, 'Vent tube' this would have had a corrosive ignition cap.

So needed boiling water to dissolve the corrosive elements involved.

The Howitzers did not use. 'Fixed Ammunition' but seperate heads and bag charges which varied according to range required plus the elevation of the gun. I think there were about six variations of charge available. In these days what elements of charge are left after firing are burnt in a pile and boy, does it get hot.

The pellets of propellant are the size of Quavers, hollowed out, these being treated with a chemical to inhibit fast burning. Sometimes graphite. Also there was a small patch of pure Tin placed on the charge which when the charge fired, melted and affiniated with the copper from the driving band making a Bronze deposit which was brittle and was easily cleaned off the inside rifling.

Thread: Painting 5" gauge wheels.
16/04/2019 14:00:33

Did you not paint the wheels shiny black before you machined them? Much easier to clean with a glossy surface.

Thread: Notre Dame
16/04/2019 13:58:56

They say the lead roofing has melted, what a mess with molten lead if that is so!

16/04/2019 13:56:34

Howitzers shoot over hils from the reverse slope. The blocks are to quieten recoil, as for being parked on a slope, well my mind boggles as it would be very difficult to place in that position. All they had were horses and horses do not like backing up, the gun would have had to be winched into that impossible position. Emplacements would have been dug out flat to level the area and to give side protection incase of counter fire.

Thread: Dialect expressions
13/04/2019 13:26:33

Mum came from Easington Co. Durham so it was said in a Geordy accent, I do not have a geordy accent, pure Kentish.

Clivve

13/04/2019 09:38:38

When I asked Mum for something as a child she always said, 'You can have it when my boat comes in'.

Obviously we were skint!

Clive

Thread: Tess, my Airedale bitch.
11/04/2019 07:43:29

Hi Neil, they can go to 30 Kilo's. females are bigger than the dogs and Airedales are always Alpha dogs. You need to be strong with them to let them know who's boss.

This one is my fourth one, the previous one was the finest hunting dog, pointing, retrieving and would always find something on a walkabout.

Thread: Just desserts
10/04/2019 19:59:21

It is an interesting fact that most Africans are protein starved. In my time in kenya I used to see them capturing flying insects at night around the street lights where they then fried them to sell in the market next day. Obviously in areas where there are big lakes fishing is done and fish as small as your little finger are sun dried and sent all around the provence. Lakes are now totally overfished and destroyed.An Elephant killed on control or being in the wrong area was quickly cut up and biltong made from the meat.

A story here, I was in the Game warden house one night and the Askari came in and said there was a runner outside. The game warden called him in and he had a cleft stick with a letter in the cleft. He had run/walked all day up into dusk from the coast near Mombasa and was covered in dust.

Barry the warden read the letter and laughed, it seems a Hippo was raiding the crops from the river and the letter had asked the warden to come down and shoot it. This was nearly midnight but the warden said, 'Lets go' so we piled into the Land Rover and travelled through the night to the village. It was dawn when we arrived and the Headman came out to meet us. Asked where the Hippo was he pointed to the pool by the village and sure enough there was the Hippo. It was duly dispatched in the water and as it was shot half the village jumped in the water and tied ropes to it pull it in.

The warden said to the headman what are you going to do? and the man said, 'Eat it'. The warden then said , 'But your Muslims and it's not Halhal'. The head man replied, 'Not to worry Bwana, it's a fish and lives in the water'.

By this time we were rolling on the floor laughing.

Thread: Changing Broadband
10/04/2019 19:40:20

Talktalk has a Community service, if you need to talk business/technical or money log into TalkTalk Community and join the Commubity/ Pass word and nom de plume and enter your problem. It is very informative and they have a tech section you can check the speed of your set up.

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 10/04/2019 19:40:34

Thread: Tess at 8 weeks old.
09/04/2019 23:24:17

This is Tess at 8 weeks of age, as you can see she has grown a bit in the other pic.

Clive

Thread: Tess, my Airedale bitch.
09/04/2019 23:21:35

Tess is 2 1/2 years old Airedale, always very busy in the garden and will not allow anything in the garden. Pigeons coming in soon get the good news, likewise Squirrels. She is a good house dog and barks loudly at the door bell ringing. She now weighs 27 kilo's

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 09/04/2019 23:24:56

Thread: LED light array
09/04/2019 16:32:38

I ordered two new lamps and they arrived today, but, they have different attachment fittings. Not screw through but a metal plate to attach to the ceiling and then two press levers to attach.

As it is very dull today I have not been able to get up and cut away the clear cover. I dont want to do it while it is switched on!

Clive

08/04/2019 19:41:48

Tim, I cannot rotate it as the cover is shaped and the control circuity is fixed on top of it, hence I will have to cut it away. I think it iis just a condensation guard so that it can be used in damp places.

I have ordered two new ones as they had reduced prices and I will modify the new ones to clear the guard.

Clive

08/04/2019 11:44:46

I bought two of these about two and a half years ago, now this one shows dimming caused by burning of the waterproof clear housing over the lED's. Emailed LE Lighting and the first thing is they quoted that it is out of warranty. Now I have a spare so fitted that in place and am considering now to remove the waterproof shield off the other one that is still working. ?

The replacement does not have one. The symptoms of the LED light that went down were that it was flashing on and off.

Clive

Thread: Unusual knurling tool
22/03/2019 17:51:36

I have one and it is used generally in Instrument work right up to the collets.

It was part of the inventory for the Service Dept. at Leica and I aquired it on close down of a satellite workshop that was not making money, I asked what I should do with the kit and was told to dump it!

Yes, into my tool box

Thread: Recommended paint for a FLB redwood external door?
20/03/2019 07:49:36

Sadolin, as it is a, 'Breathing' protection and does not mind the weather.

Clive

Thread: Mystery Milling Vice
07/03/2019 13:42:21

Agree, it's a Gressel, I have one but of the smaller type. It should have some jaws that have 'V' slots vertical and horizontal.

Clive

The jaw pressures can be set with the key on the retracting jaw, normally just run up to the job with the knurled ring and then apply lever pressure.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 07/03/2019 13:43:47

25/02/2019 11:12:27

Mal, the shape of the nose of the shells is either 1 x diameter or 2cr . sometimes referred to as Krups no 1 or Krups no 2. Now of course we use bottle nose shells with thinner walls.

Thread: Myford cross slide backlash
20/02/2019 13:46:11

There is a bearing modification for Myford cross slides, see ARC's page for details which needs a bearing and modification of the spindle mount.

To do mine I used the mount off my vertical slide so it was a straight swop.

Find details in Arc's page under projects at the bottom of the listings.

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
19/02/2019 11:22:01

With all the complaints I am going to catch one of those Civet cats and feed it raw Coffee beans and when it craps wash and dry the beans and then roast them and sell for a huge profit.

This subject has been good fun with all the diversions of coffee and tea and sundry hardware.

Clive

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest