By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electricity Supply
09/06/2019 13:53:40

So here am I with my year 15 Passat with a class 6 engine and only pay £20 tax a year, the carbon output is low and I get maybe in town about 32 mpg.

Needless to say i will not be giving up my diesel very soon. The car is comfortable and the engine has 190 bhp and I have had it upto 124 mph for a few moments.

Furthermore, the possible crash of the electricity supply just as coronation street starts will soon raise a few outcries.

The carriage of heavy goods is going to be a problem, will they have half way battery replacement to get anywhere?

All this without any further development is all pie in the sky and it will come home to roost with quite a bang, I see the deadline for carbon fuel vehicles being pushed back many years. there is no alternative.

One thing is that they say diesel gives micronic particles that are breathed in, ok, the cleaner manufacturer/develeper came up with a cyclone exhaust attachmnet that caught the particles, did it catch, did it hell! Maybe now is the time to come back with it.

The other thing is you cannot price out the pollution, having to pay higher price to enter London only means it goes somewhere else.

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 21:19:57

Just one point of interest is that Mercury is cleaned with Nitric acid, Swilled around and put through a Chamio leather to filter it. When sitting in the bowls under Barometer tubes it does get dirty.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 04/06/2019 21:20:32

Thread: Colchester Lathe Factory
30/05/2019 18:41:55

Hi Gary, I am now 82 and finding lifting the bee boxes hard going. I still have two hives that I remove the combs individually to get the honey. I lost 3 hives over the Winter and will not replace them.

I still make up hives for the cistomers of the bee shop which is a bit of pocket money. Nobody seems interested in taking on bees anymore around here. Bluntly, the price some of the beekeepers charge for a 1lb. jar is ridiculous (£4.00) Of course the big trend now is to melt out honey from the combs, not spin it out. This evaporates all the esters and essences in the honey and it tastes like sugar water. It is filtered and all the pollen is removed.

Clivve

30/05/2019 14:14:27

I dont knoow how to view the given YouTube address for that film, how do I do it?

Clive

Thread: heat reflecting foil
27/05/2019 15:11:04

I am sure some of you have put heat reflecting foil behind radiators, I bought my roll from B & Q. Cut to a suitable size and fixed with adhesive tape to the wall behind the radiator. Over time the adhesive tape fails and the foam backed foil falls to the floor.

My idea to fix this is to obtain some 15mm wooden strip and staple the foil to it and when you look behind the radiator you see the two metal supports and the wood strip with foil attached falls and rests on the two metal supports.

Clive

Thread: Rudder Bushes on Boat
15/05/2019 19:31:54

Neill, no, the item was hot formed in a press and then boiled.

15/05/2019 19:30:44

OK, the supply of surveying staves was from Australia. We sold them on and then the complaints came in that they were sticking as the stave guides were Nylon. Complaint to Surmac in Aussie. set them off to find a cure.

The cure was to boil the Nylon. They then sent us boxes of sliders that had been treated and we replaced them as soon as they came in, If I recall we never had another complaint.

15/05/2019 14:39:49

Boil the Nylon and let cool and it will not absorb any more water.

Thread: ML10,
10/05/2019 22:29:45

Douglas, thank you for the illuminating pics. all very clear. I will do a Photo session when I do mine.

Clive

09/05/2019 22:36:12

Hi Doug,that would be interesting to see if it comes out to my idea. I think that I would trepann through the body and then make two insert rings to fit machined out step down spaces and then drill a few threaded holes to secure.

Maybe use Kilopoise to add drag to the set up, I must look to see if i have some wavy washers.

Clive

09/05/2019 14:42:35

The Lead screw dial is a fixed dial, you cannot , 'Zero' it for a set position. The only way I can set it is to use the top slide until I can get 'Zero' where I want it.

My idea is to modify the dial and have a slipping scale which I can zero by rotating an outer slipping scale.

I have worked out a method of doing it but wonder if anyone else has done one?

Clive

Thread: Railway sign
05/05/2019 22:21:38

Wot, like the one that says, ' Do not use the toilet while train is stationary'.

Thread: Lathe Light
04/05/2019 13:11:13

Remember it's , 'Rip Off Britain'. All round now!

Clive

Thread: Sump Plug
02/05/2019 08:02:41

Oooh, pinched my idea you did!

Clive

01/05/2019 12:55:35

Rather than remove a hard to remove sump plug buy one of thos 'Sucker' type oil removers, not expensive.

Stick the probe down the oil dipstick hole to pull the oil.

Thread: Lathe Mill Combo setup
28/04/2019 12:22:20

It looks like a Clone of an EMCO Maximat 11. You do indeed need a sub plate for doing work with the Millinghead. I have seen these for sale from tool suppliers,

Thread: Polishing copper plated cast iron
28/04/2019 12:17:24

They may originally have been plated and then bronze treated chemically and then brushed with a fibre hair brush Possibly then treated with varnish.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
28/04/2019 12:15:00

dazzled by lights, I have noticed for some time that crossing lights and traffic lightts have become very bright and do dazzle! Maybe a conversion to LED source of light.

The amount of technology incorporated in a new car now is mind boggling, a nightmare for designers. Switch fo that a switch for thiis and you need to read the manual twice or three times to understand. 90% I will never use.I would need a £900 Smart Phone to take advantage of the Blue Tooth and switches on the steering wheel. Got caught by the child lock on the rear doors.

Luckily I have a Class six engine of 1998 cc so my car tax is only £20.

Clive

Thread: Fibre Optics / Microscope objectives
23/04/2019 16:56:19

If you get a fibre optic lamp you will need a light box as well to provide the light to go through the fibre optic.

Ring lights are mainly self powered.

23/04/2019 14:11:32

Charles, yes there are devices for spot illumination by fibre optic cable, also ring lights that fit around the objective for shadowlwss lighting.

Try contacting Leica Microscopic dept, but take a pill before looking at prices. maybe they have 2nd. hand?

Clive

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest