By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Has anyone heard of this before…dopey dogs…
24/09/2021 07:36:01

Re, the armoured cable. I was friends with a farmer and he kept chickens and pigs and had 3 phase power to his machinery, grain milling and boiling equipment for pig food.

The cables ran along the top of the walls and were run on a catenery btween buildings. he asked me one day to fit a new cable and showed me where the rats had taken off all the sheathing from the red,blue and yellow cables as they ran along the wall. This was evident as the rats droppings were all coloured!

Duly fitted new cables, armoured and thought to myself, job well done, except that a couple weeks later i saw that the rats had taken off the plastic outer sheathing and left bare the armoured wire! They would also go across the catenary wires to get from one building to another.

In we go with two Jack Russels, Oh boy, how they worked the rats. First night about 20 or so and this went on for months. There ssemed to be no end to them until the chickens and pigs were sold off, now there are no rats.

24/09/2021 06:52:48

My Airedale has dug a hole in the corner of the garden, half her hieght in depth, if she keeps going I will not have to dig much out to lay her to rest. What pzzles me is she digs and then pees there?

Thread: Soft floor and lathe...
21/09/2021 18:55:08

I have set up Milling machines and lathes on a soft floor, I obtained lengths of 100 mm x 12 mm alu. plate and allowed about 150mm extra length outside the legs of the machines. No apparent problems occured.

Thread: Back to Imperial
21/09/2021 12:39:18

Having worked for a Swiss firm for many years the there never was a split of metric measure, it was always meters/millimeters. 1.155 as an example. Not once in 37 years did i see cm used to give measure.

Thread: Old gear
18/09/2021 22:08:49

This gear is stated to be bronze or Non ferrous, spark test how?

Thread: Back to Imperial
18/09/2021 22:05:26

A report today say the the US school system will teach metric as from 2023. so if the US goes metric all the rest will follow.

17/09/2021 12:50:33

But is it? most people now accept metric as it is widely used for wood and various sizes.

Just learn to use both standards, all white goods give metric sizing. So a DRO ihas the switch between the two, good.

Thread: Yet another scam
17/09/2021 12:47:30

The fact that they say 650 million should tell you to pull up the shutters quickly, nobody is going to give away more than what the company is worth!

Thread: Standard Surveying Thread?
17/09/2021 07:57:40

After 60 plus years in the Instrument trade the standard tripod screw was 5/8 x 11 bsw. On some high tech instruments like gyros it was 11/16 UNC which is 11tpi. They are nominly interchangeable as the threads are quite loose. The aviation system is 11/16 x 11 UNC, where gyros are used to align weapon systems, But, Submarine systems use 5/8 x 11 for mounting the alignment systems. As the Theodolites were used in non vertical positions they had tighter/stiffer vertical axis.

Kern us their own mounting system as some of the British older type Theodolites. Using a large diameter thread and a screw plate on the tripod.

Thread: … in a mount fitting the Leica and with thread M 39x1 …
16/09/2021 08:14:16

The Pentacon 58mm Biotar lens was and excellent lens, I used to use it as an enlarger lens as well. The lens configuration was that the lens in the body were the same both ways, thereby correcting any errors. Very good for B & W pictures.

11/09/2021 22:03:49

Have you ever referenced Leica in milton keynes.? There is a Leica Historical club who do a lot of checking through Leica MK. We often refered to them as the Leica Hysterical club.

They will have some record of Leica that they can refer to.

Thread: Win 10 back t0 Win 7
08/09/2021 10:34:00

I'm lost now, I dont want a steep learning curve from Linux, just a PC that works for me.

07/09/2021 22:00:27

The camera is a Panasonic TZ3, it has given no problems until Win 10. As SOD says it may well be a driver problem.

07/09/2021 07:58:35

peak 4, basically it will not load all the pics in the camera, I get 4 or 5 and the presentation gives me a headache as i cannot for instance take a pic. to put in my ME archive. Yet, with win 7 it was all so easy.

06/09/2021 18:54:57

A while back I upgraded to Win 10, very disappointing. basically it has completely messed up the loading of digital pics.

I want to go back to Win 7. what are the pros and cons. The machine is a PC.

Thread: Whirlpool cooker
04/09/2021 19:14:36

The new heating ring arrived and as I had already cleared the old one it was an easy fix.

Nice clean oven now and i switched on and within a few seconds it showed OK. Job done.

03/09/2021 13:42:01

As the heating ring is on its way I have started to dismantle the heating ring and fan part of the oven, it has come apart OK, the heating ring has bubbled and has a small section burnt out.

Now trying to get the connectors through the holes without getting them disconnected.

The fan is free and rotates freely when spun. As I dismantled I am cleaning, dirty job.

Worst biy is with my dicky back I am sitting on the floor doing it and then trying to get up is a painful task plus dog keeps coming up looking over my shoulder.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 03/09/2021 13:43:37

Thread: optical mystery parts
03/09/2021 13:37:22

I have seen this type of prism in a Director with an eyepiece close to the elbow. It focuses the beam nearer to te eyepiece making it a shorter design.

Thread: Urgent - opinions of lathe I am going to view/buy
02/09/2021 19:15:38

It looks a bit abused, parts missing all dubious for £700.

Personally I would walk away.

Thread: Whirlpool cooker
02/09/2021 19:12:57

Not done it yet, Hi, yes it is a fan assisted oven and that is where the problem is. what happens the fan slows down and heating ring around the fan overheats and pops. It is very easy to fix as a few screws to undo and the cowl comes off. The two wires that come out you need to use a couple of pegs to stop thefalling back inside the panel.

I did fit a new fan some time back and serviced the old one in case of future need. Maybe I will fit it. I will see.

Managed a meal tonight, so thats OK.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest