By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Maintaining Power Spring
21/06/2022 22:08:19

Glad to see my idea was useful Peter, hope it all works well when set up.

Thread: Blacking aluminium
19/06/2022 12:45:38

The level of anodising is time based, ranging from AA% up thro. AA25.

Colour is a hot dip again on a time basis. I did read that pen ink can be used.

Thread: Maintaining Power Spring
16/06/2022 14:08:19

Would it be possible to make one from a suitable size spring ring like used to retain bearings in housings. They are not hardened but can be filed?

Thread: Files,hacksaws etc
12/06/2022 15:26:43

Castings are fairly soft and soon clean up, try doing 10 driving wheels on a 9f.

Thread: Myford ML10 dog clutch dimensions
12/06/2022 14:47:29

No oilite bush in my dog clutch, cut the leadscrew where the groove is and clean ends, insert the sleeve the right way round and carry on. Worth buying the graduated drum for the right hand end. it will be scaled for metric or Imperial depending on the lathe..

Mine is metric and has 3mm engraved on it. The drum is fixed to the lead screw. To use it for setting length I bring the tool to the job and then set the top slide to give me a '0' setting on the drum.

Thread: Unimat milling table damage
06/06/2022 18:28:38

This can happen if a cutter pulls out of the collet, I have had that!

Thread: Metallurgy of Copper
02/06/2022 08:21:21

It still causes embrittlement cured by annealing, i have seen fuel tubes on static geneartors crack at the nipples and as you say caused by vibration. Cured by fitting a flexible connection.

01/06/2022 18:07:40

Age hardening of copper is normal. in oder machinery all connecting copper tubing was made with a coil in it.

I seem to remember that in service or o/haul copper tubing was annealed to soften it again.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
19/05/2022 22:02:45

I think that the wiki ref. is a German breech, they modified their M109's.

The metal work was chemically blacked as was the US style breech.

19/05/2022 19:50:47

Re the accidents in turrets. Sometimes as the barrel is elevated the shell having been rammed into the leed can slip back, then, as the charge is ignited it explodes in the chamber with dire results.

I know of 2 cases, one was an M107 8" howitzer and the other happened in the invasion of Iraq on an M109 Howitzer.

The last one was shown on the tv reporting at the time, causing severe burns to close personell. The M109 was burnt out.

Thread: Emergency Radio Format
04/05/2022 07:53:11

An airburst nuclear weapon firstly has the Flash, secondly the outgoing blast. Radiation levels affecting out to 5kms. Then, the incoming blast and this is the one that does more damage, you hide behind a wall, survive the first rwo and then from behind the incoming blast that throws everything back at you.

You could survive a nuclear blast if you had 18" of solid topsoil over you but you would have to stay there at least 3 days before you can get out. Then you do not know how much residual radiation you are walking through, or which way to go!

Decontamination would be essential, drink and eat nothing on the srface but it is stated that fallen animals if carefully opened, the meat can be eaten. Tinned food and bottled liquids fine. Decontamination again first.

Essentualy head upwind as fallout will go with the wind, That is only one blast but if they were in cascade you could walk into another zone! There would be very little chance of rescue! You are on your own.

If you have a warning then ensure all skin is covered against flash, put your back towards any detonation and good luck.

Thread: jiggered lathe
21/04/2022 12:56:46

Tufnol gears, when I was in Kenya I had an Opel Kapitan, It had Tufnol timing gears, Which failed and the replacement was an Aluminium gear, an easy repair as I undid one engine mount and jacked the enginge up and removed the radiator and was able to access the timing gear through the space opened up.

There is a longer story about this but having showed the Opel agent how I did it was given a nice cash sum as it saved many hours work lifting an engine out.

Thread: Electromagnetic Wave Interference
18/04/2022 21:57:18

I had to earth both ends of the shielded cable on mine.

Thread: Domestic Chemistry
13/04/2022 22:22:38

I have seen dish washer tabs rubbed onto the surfaces clean the glass doors.

Thread: Wiring and connectors
11/04/2022 22:02:13

I have worked on mains electric kit that had to be used in a wet environment, I used adhesive heat shrink and had no leakage.

Thread: 400mm V band clamp, how to make?
10/04/2022 09:06:41

If you need sealed containers can you not buy the type with screw on lids that have a sealing ring fitted in the lid?

On the sailing boat we have them to hold all the items in case of a sinking in far waters. They are about 30" by 25" dia.

Thread: Microsoft Edge is overriding Google Chrome
09/04/2022 13:51:09

I am fed up to the teeth with Microsoft Edge, my preference is Chrome.

Edge is now overiding everything when I want to search for things, it is much slower than Chrome.

Can I delete Edge?

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
08/04/2022 22:10:09

European countries use different methods of describing metric lengths, in the UK we don't use cm. but measure as say 1.50mtrs or 1500mm.

having worked in a Swiss company one had to be bi metric/Imperial minded. So your height is 1.78 mtrs.

Buy some wood, its meters length but mm cross section.

Thread: Vice - again
07/04/2022 11:25:03

My machine vice when I got it was almost unusable, measuring the jaws for parallelism showed they were not level to the table or base. machined the seatings and reset them. Then found the sliding jaw was jumping, slightly bent bars under the block allowing movement. Re- bent the and now they work to my satisfaction. Made some blocks to align the base to the table slots and alls well.

Thread: Why is electricity so expensive?
07/04/2022 11:18:31

Todays news that 8 new Nuclear power stations are to be built will certainly make the cost go up, almost time to start generating your own electric by whatever means.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest