By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Reading glasses - frosted area
04/05/2021 14:05:03

You could have raised or lowered the seat!

Thread: How Do I Open Walker-Midgeley Documents Please?
30/04/2021 07:46:05

I had to,use a prog/ called 'Egress' for opening some medical files

Thread: B&D workmate
25/04/2021 22:05:38

Mine is stil hanging onnthe garage wall, never used.

25/04/2021 22:05:27

Mine is stil hanging onnthe garage wall, never used.

Thread: Parting off 25mm copper
25/04/2021 21:59:31

personally I would cut with a hacksaw. then face in the lathe.

Thread: New EBay payment regime
23/04/2021 11:44:39

My local Building Society is at the moment paying interst of 0.47%, this having fallen from 1.7% in a few weeks. If I choose a long term fund I can get 1.5% at this time,

I think if it happens (negative interest) a lot of mattress banks will happen.

Ideally buy a home safe and secure it well. but dont tell anybody.

Thread: Anodising and Passivating
14/04/2021 15:20:39

My Anodiser used Tin. in the vats and Sulphuric acid.

One of his main jobs was anodising shop front aluminium frames to withstand all weathers, They came out in a dark shiny bronze colour.

I tried to do it for a military job but it came out all mottled, as a non payer I could not press him to do it for me.

Another process was powder coating on top of anodising, this for skirting panels in all sorts of colours.

Re. Zinc plating, I found that zincplating if heated came up with a lovely black surface for engraving.

A small side story here, we had a heated vat of Magnu 577 if I remeber correctly and cast and steel put in came out pristine from all the gunge and detritus of carbon and burnt oil.

Another was Black chrome which was used to treat parts inside of artillery recuperators to stop corrosion from the oil.

13/04/2021 22:33:39

Passivating from my early days was a zinc plating and a dip into a bath that turned it a gold/yellow colour.

Anodising is done to give varying depth and hardness , AA5. AA10. AA15 and AA25. the latter usually associated with exterior window frames etc. Longer in the etch bath gives a harder surface.

Remember anodising is non conductive to any connection must be made to the base metal.

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
12/04/2021 12:52:02

I bought an adaptor that takes SD, MMC cards, works fine and fits into the USB port

Edited By Clive Hartland on 12/04/2021 12:52:29

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
10/04/2021 21:54:50

In the paper yesterday the Egyptian authorities want $1Billon before they will release the ship.

So that will make the lathes a bit more expensive!

Thread: Sky tv controllers
08/04/2021 22:06:10

My Sky tv controller has failed, I opened it and foung that the flux on the board had migrated and was stopping the keypads from working.

Question:- it is a Rev. 10 controller and I want to buy a new one but all I have seen are a bit iffy to me.

So, please any comments would be welcomed.

Thread: Anti seize grease on Myford spindle nose?
08/04/2021 12:56:15

68 years I have machined in all sorts of lathes and never yet seen or needed to grease the manndrel where the chuck fits.

Just particular cleaning of any part that touches.

Having just read the ML10 instruction book, it says lightly oil the mandrel when mounting a chuck!

So there, do what it says.

Edited By Clive Hartland on 08/04/2021 12:56:55

Edited By Clive Hartland on 08/04/2021 13:01:10

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
01/04/2021 22:27:29

My smart meter display has conked, it shows stupid price readings and does not update.

Talked to the electric chat line because I am deaf I cannot phone. and got nowhere.

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
24/03/2021 10:55:42

It is reported to have been swung around by a gust of wind.

Thread: Weller TCP soldering iron
21/03/2021 22:26:41

Looks like you need a new sponge as well. You should be able to get them from the same supplier.

21/03/2021 16:41:02

It might be worth buying a small tin of tip cleaner which you can attach to the top of the unit, keeps he tip tinned and clean. RS sell them.

Thread: Deckel Pentograph GK21/ pulley drive system
20/03/2021 08:24:22

From my use of an Alexandar engraver the balance weight acts as a mass ballance when the pantograph moves, without it the movements would not be smooth but jerky. Incorporsate the weight if you can.

Thread: countersink advice
15/03/2021 12:39:31

I have a nice selection of countersinks with integral guide pin, they all are made to suit standard clearance holes.

In use I use a slow speed with no chatter and of course they can be set to depth on the drill. so can make the c/sunk flush with the surface or lower.

Thread: Water based rust inhibitor
13/03/2021 13:50:46

Put them on a metal tray in a warm oven.

Thread: Ball Races and 'Brinelling' (whatever that is).
07/03/2021 22:12:08

I 'kerbed' my SAAB in the snow and after that as I went round a long bend I could hear and feel a bump.

Guessing I had damaged the front wheel drive I dismantled it and found I had dented the outer bearing of the

front left drive shaft, for £10 I was able to buy a new bearing and fixed it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest