By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin 100

Here is a list of all the postings Martin 100 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New or old style 3 phase motors?
06/06/2020 19:08:40

Thanks for that Nigel.

I had thought they were still 'British' and with a pending purchase I would have chosen them over some 'unknown' brand. Strangely their offerings look very much like those of ABB

I have several 'Brook Crompton' motors dating up to the mid 1980's on various,bits of workshop machinery a few with Huddersfield on the rating plates and a few with Doncaster.

I turned up this about Brook Motors and Crompton Parkinson and their other factory that produced motors in Doncaster.

Era ends as Crompton Electric Motors prepares to close

1st September 2008

The company can trace its history back to Colonel Rookes Crompton’s original DC motors business formed in 1878, and the foundation of Brook Motors in 1904. In 1927, RE Crompton & Co merged with F & AE Parkinson to form Crompton Parkinson. which opened the Doncaster plant in 1946 to produce motors and light fittings. In 1967, Crompton Parkinson was acquired by Hawker Siddeley, which bought Brook Motors three years later, merging the businesses to form Brook Crompton Parkinson Motors in 1974.

In 1990, Hawker Siddeley added the GEC Electromotors small motors business to its portfolio, but the following year Hawker was itself acquired by BTR. In 1999, BTR merged its operations with Siebe to form Invensys and three years later the small motors business was sold to Tyco Electronics.

Tyco invested around £500,000 to expand into the DC motors business and to develop matching gearboxes. In 2005, it renamed the business Crompton Electric Motors. The company has continued to use the Crompton name under licence from Brook Crompton.

06/06/2020 15:32:42
Posted by mgnbuk on 06/06/2020 11:54:25:

All of the Brook Motors manufacturing plants (the main plant was in Huddersfield, with smaller plants in Honley & Barnsley) closed over 10 years ago,

Do you know where they are manufactured now?

Thread: Seig X3 has died
06/06/2020 14:18:28

I’ve had my X3 from ArcEuroTrade in maybe 2007/8 but it’s that long ago I can’t be sure. It was around £700 It’s an early one for sure (the motor has a different brush end housing in black with protruding brush holders) and a complex sliding metal and plastic safety guard rather the later two part plastic one. The belt drive is I think the slightly later one with a conventional T5 profile.

I echo the safety guard issue mentioned above, the switch position can be tweaked to get it reliable. Cuts in one direction had the habit of opening the switch but it was with the guard closed. Holding the guard slightly open and it would never fail.

My motor lasted the period of any guarantee and maybe a week (dry conditions, 18 deg C round the clock and with very light use) The motor then failed without taking out the controller.

I got mine back into service with a dc motor from a Boxford TCL125/160. I made a new mounting plate, bored and broached a keyway into an off the shelf T5 pulley, using the original belt and connected it to the original controller.

The setting up procedure for the controller would be very useful but it appears to be unobtainium.

Three setting potentiometers, one possibly to compensate for the droop on load, the other for max current, another for max speed?

The motor is a permanent magnet one.  Three wires to the controller are Positive, Negative and an Earth 

PS most (all?) the connections to the controller are marked with ferrules that tie up with markings on the controller  but they are all loose on the wires, the wire ends having no crimps, so the ferrules will fall off in a random heap unless you tie a knot in the wire or affix a suitable crimp as you remove each connection. 

Edited By Martin 100 on 06/06/2020 14:41:53

Thread: Antique Steam Engine from Doorknob
07/05/2020 10:22:01

Antiques Roadshow Series 42

Around 30mins and 50 seconds in

Thread: Boxford C Lathe
23/04/2020 12:00:54

I'm sure the 'know your lathe' book would detail this but I don't have my copy to hand right now.

There is a copy floating around online, possibly in what was until recently the yahoo group

In the interim maybe this will help

Boxford Lathe Spares Diagrams

23/04/2020 11:45:27

While you can, with a suitable gear train feed longitudinally using the leadscrew, technically only the model a and model b lathes have an automatic feed.  That feature requires in the first instance a slot the length of the leadscrew and a different apron, one that has, in addition to the leadscrew nut lever two other controls, the clutch knob and the longitudinal / cross feed lever.

Boxford Model A & B Apron

See other images here

Boxford lathe article at lathes.co.uk

Edited By Martin 100 on 23/04/2020 11:56:08

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
23/04/2020 11:42:12
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/04/2020 11:20:51:

Excellent - it's a fake. Please don't resell it as genuine - a real one costs about £150.

No it's £102.84 direct from Mitutoyo UK, and usually a few quid cheaper from well established industrial and metrology suppliers

https://shop.mitutoyo.co.uk/web/mitutoyo/en_GB/all/all/Dial%20Test%20Indicator,%20Horizontal%20Type/PR/513-404-10E/index.xhtml

Thread: Inconsistent access to MEW archive
21/04/2020 08:47:59

By the end of 2020 Flash will no longer be supported. It will be actively blocked on all mainstream web browsers and all operating systems that receive regular security updates. Pointing out that Windows XP or Windows 95 or whatever run flash is futile.

**LINK**.

The end of life for flash was something widely reported at least in the technical community elsewhere nearly three years ago, so more than adequate warning. The views of Steve Jobs on the matter were known about a decade ago.

**LINK**

Flash currently, across all versions, has 1078 documented security vulnerabilities. So just reflect on that figure or one brief moment. ONE THOUSAND AND SEVENTY EIGHT security vulnerabilities

**LINK**

That leaves the end user with the choice of having access with a security compromised out of date operating system / browser, or losing access.

Of course where might be workarounds with virtual machines used only for magazine access.

Flash is at the moment patched several times a year, often once a month, come the end of the year it won't. Accidentally access a rogue site because you had to keep flash to read 'your favourite magazine' and it could lead to no end of grief both for you and for those say in your email client address book.

The question for the user is do you feel lucky.?

The request to the providers of flash content is PLEASE do the responsible thing. Flash is very dead, or soon will be. Expecting your subscribers to compromise security to read 'paid for content' IS IMHO irresponsible.

Thread: Box-Ford travelling steady
31/03/2020 19:02:12
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 31/03/2020 14:06:37:

There ya go! (Must get a replacement for that when I get round to it...)

Box-Ford label

Boxford stopped stocking that type of badge sometime in the 1980's, all they have is a smaller one like this

**LINK**

Thread: Boxford AUD clutch
25/03/2020 09:45:56

The very early rear drive Boxfords (as per one of mine from 1950) have a lever that goes through the headstock foot that moves the motor platform fore and aft, essentially for tensioning the motor to countershaft belt, but restraining the belt in the manner mentioned in the link mentioned above would presumably achieve a pseudo-clutch.

image from lathes.co.uk

Thread: Digital Archive Access Missing
30/11/2019 21:07:26

Many thanks Neil & Jason now all working. I did indeed just cut and paste direct from the subscription notification email and expected it to just 'work'

30/11/2019 19:50:00

I've both MEW and ME print and digital subscriptions, both obtained through the subscribe link above with expiry towards the end of 2020

Both subs numbers are entered in my settings

After logging in to pocketmags and entering the appropriate subs numbers I can access current editions of both magazines

Using the magazines link above it only lists my MEW subscription and after clicking the link I can access the MEW archive.

I've tried tried on both firefox and chrome, on W7 and W10 and the magazines page is identical, always showing a link to just the MEW archive and not both mags.

Emails to help@me.secureorder.co.uk have failed to elicit a response to my problem.

The ME subscription was originally ordered as a print sub but has since been amended after discussion with help@me.secureorder.co.uk to a print and digital sub.

The subscriptions page at

https://me.secureorder.co.uk/index.php?

shows what appears to be a current print and digital subscription to both mags

Thread: Safety of phone chargers
23/04/2019 12:38:35
Posted by Emgee on 23/04/2019 10:07:53:
Posted by Martin 100 on 23/04/2019 09:27:45:

Rewireable fuses are long since deprecated. Cartridge fuses or MCB's are the norm worldwide because they are good sound reliable and dependable engineering practice.

Martin, cartridge fuses are wire fuses, enclosed in sand and IMO preferable to mcb's for close protection, just not as convenient if they rupture but can be relied upon to provide consistent results, unlike mcb's after short circuit or fault current overloads.

Emgee

Yes I agree as that is what I said, and you quoted smiley

In a home consumer unit context rewireable fuses hung on for a long while. Rewireable fuses may at some time been the norm in an industrial engineering context but it must be a very long time ago, some of our systems replaced around a decade ago had elements of the original designs dating from the early 1950's and updated many times since. It was clear from the panels, the drawings and the documentation that cartridge fuses were always used, and in some parts of the modern implementations they still are alongside MCB's that can provide perfectly adequate means of protection.

23/04/2019 09:27:45
Posted by Phil Whitley on 22/04/2019 17:51:12:

In the interests of electrical correctness, ther are one or two things in daves post I must take issue with, because we are all here to learn, everyday is a school day, and safety matters in electrical installations.

The point you make about the plug fuses being there to protect the wiring and not the appliance is partly semantic, and electrically incorrect! The fuse or MCB which protects the ring (or radial) is the coarse protection, the fuse in the plug is the fine or selective protection, and although no fuse will protect against electrocution, it is there to isolate the appliance in the event of a fault, thus stopping the risk of a localised fire at the appliance by isolating it from the ring. Take the instance where a double insulated vacuum develops a fault and begins to draw excessive current. There will be no tripping of the RCD, because the current in live and neutral are the same, and let us assume that the fuse in the Vacuums plug is 13A, with a fusing factor of about 1.2 for a cartridge fuse. When the current rises to 15.6 amps, the plug fuse will rupture, and disconnection will occur. Now let us look at the same situation from the point of view of the ring main, it only sees a current flow of 15.6 amps, but if additional load on the ring takes the total load on the ring to more than its protection (fuse or MCB) then the whole ring will be dissconnected, before the cables in the ring even get warm. there is no situation in an otherwise correctly wired installation where the ring will overload to the point of ignition. Also note in the above example a vac should be fused between 5 and 10 amps! I do know however, and have read in publications which should know better, that "the plug fuse is not there to protect the appliance" and semantically, it is not, it is there to prevent temperature rise in the appliance getting to ignition level, it is there for safety, but it does NOT protect the ring main from overload, that is what the fuse or MCB in the consumer unit does.

You could argue that the ring main is even more suited to todays low current applications, but please note that the immersion heater should NEVER be put on a ring main!

Now to my main point, as I mentioned above, fusing factor! I am now retired from the electrical industry, but I have installed many consumer units and distribution boards that use MCB and RCD protection, all done without going too deeply in to the technical side of MCBs. Indeed I have just completed the installation of the 3 phase and single phase distribution boards in my own workshop.In the older Wylex and similar rewirable fuse consumer units the fuse has a "fusing factor" which is given as a figure used to calculate at what current the fuse will actually rupture and isolate the circuit. For rewirable fuses, it was originally set at 1.5, IE a 10A fuse would blow at 15amps, and we did experiments in the college lab to prove this was the case. Since my original training, that figure has been increased to 1.8, and even 2 in some cases, won't go into it here as I am already long winded but looking at the actuall tripping currents for MCBs, which I had assumed would be much closer to the rated current and thus provide "better" protection I find to my surprise that the following applies.

Type B 3 to 5 times rated current.

Type C 5 to 10 times rated current

Type D 10 to 20 times rated current

Type K 8 to 12 times rated current

Type Z 2 to 3 times rated current

As you can see this means that a rewirable fuse is far safer than an MCB, in that it will isolate a circuit reliably at a lower current, and when you add to this the fact that an MCB DOES NOT FAIL SAFE, you can understand that the new (new new corrected reprint) book of latest regulationd now requires all consumer units to be metal clad and installed in such a manner that an internal fire cannot escape the enclosure. I am really glad to be out of an industry where good engineering has been thrown to the wind, and regulations, which used to be made by senior engineers, are made by wet nosed uni graduates and electrical equipment manufacturers. rant over!

Apologies for the long quote but the whole context needs quoting and preserving.

'electrical correctness' is not a word I would use to describe significant parts of what is said above.

Holding the view that rewireable fuses are 'safer' is staggering, they are by nature always slower in operation, they are prone to abuse, unreliability and early failure

The 3 to 5 times rated current for a type B MCB, and similarly for the other types is for a fault clearance time of 0.1 seconds. At around 2 x their rated current they will trip in around 2 minutes

A BS1362 plug top cartridge fuse rated at 13A requires around 150A to clear a fault in 0.1 seconds

Rewireable fuses are long since deprecated. Cartridge fuses or MCB's are the norm worldwide because they are good sound reliable and dependable engineering practice.

Thread: Another workshop insulation question
08/10/2018 23:27:56

Ian, as mentioned above about third party certification, the electrical installation can be officially self certified by an electrician registered under any one of numerous official 'independent' bodies For instance NICEIC or NAPIT or Elecsa or Stroma (plus others too) The actual cost to the installer is so insignificant (about a fiver) it is totally lost in the labour and materials and rarely even becomes a chargeable item.

The conductor size proposed might appear 'over the top' but it might be proposed for extremely valid reasons. No one would deliberately use oversize cables as they are a pain to install.

One thing is clear, with a building where the construction of the structure is outside the remit of building control There is absolutely no need to pay ANYTHING to building control nor indeed for them to be involved at all. Plus I doubt there is now a building control department anywhere in the UK with any valid expertise on electrical installations.

You appear to prefer to circumvent the requirements for a fixed installation by using an extension cord. A 'new ' installation must legally meet the basic safety requirements, they are a couple of paragraphs specified in part P and are met by complying with BS7671 or by an equivalent IEC standard. That requirement is usually ensured (in the case of those not appropriately skilled) by employing someone competent and who can self certify, not by employing someone to install and then paying hundreds of pounds to building control (only for them to employ a subcontractor)

For those appropriately skilled and qualified that deem part P certification an insult we, as ever design, install and test our own installation to fully meet the requirements (and some of us would if necessary be prepared to argue our case in court)

Your extension cable is not and never will be a safe substitute for a properly designed and earthed outbuilding installation. It could, regardless of your specially installed outdoor sockets, kill you or someone else. That situation may arise as a result of issues occurring outside the boundaries of your property and totally within the remit of your distribution network operator, and while your installation within the house will, if properly installed remain safe at all times, your extension to the outbuilding and particularly exposed metalwork on any machinery will not.

As dirty harry, the well known electrician allegedly once said, do you feel lucky?

08/10/2018 12:52:50

Except anyone with any sense would plan their workshop size, location with respect to boundaries, location to the main property and the method of construction to ensure 'planning' and 'building regulations' did not apply. Then there would be absolutely no fee to pay for anything.

The an earth has to be exported along the SWA cable from the head end, it will almost always be the PME earth connected to the armouring to ensure suitable fault protection and fault clearance times for the cable. The cable merely has to be installed to prevent any damage. Burying is not always required, but if it is then burying has to provide some warning to anyone coming along, commencing a dig and encountering the conductor 'hidden' just below the surface. The cable depth of burying is only specified for the main incoming feed into a property and network operator feeds in the carriageway and pavement. Anything on your own property with a sub main or individual circuit is not prescriptive as to cable depth. There are recommendations but that is all they are.

In addition this 'exported' earth then has to be totally isolated at the outbuilding and a local earth provided unless you have means of adequately ensuring against rise of earth potential from a fault or lost neutral which is what the equipotential bonding is there for in the main property.

Cabling with a flexible extension cable can easily lead to a situation where a fault occurs and is not cleared in time, leading to a fire hazard and a shock hazard when metalwork within the outbuilding installation rises above the potential of the local earth. Just plonking an RCD in the installation at random locations may not be enough.

It might all be viewed as just 'part p' and denigrated in some / many eyes but in reality an outbuilding electrical installation requires a common sense properly engineered electrical installation that in the case of a new installation meets the requirements of BS7671 or if you want to be pedantic the equivalent IEC requirements.

Fail to comply either as a 'pro' or an amateur and it results in injury and you will almost certainly be prosecuted even if you have subsequently moved house.

But your biggest problem was wanting to build something that requires Planning and Building Regs. 15m^2 timber or or 30m^2 brick / block / stone should be enough for most 'home' workshops. If you live in a national park or other location protected from development then you have some sympathy.

Forgot to add you can get an electrical installation in a structure outside the remit of building regulations (separation / use etc)   'certified' by an appropriate person / organisation without any building regulations application being made. 

https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/issues/51/part-p-third-party-certification/

Edited By Martin 100 on 08/10/2018 14:10:00

Thread: Aldi Charger - Confidence Dented
03/10/2018 17:27:39

+1 on the wonders of lead free solder. Give me lead and tin with a tiny sprinkling of silver and a non corrosive flux core any day. Almost 100% reliable joints almost 100% of the time.

The Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive has probably produced more landfill than any single act in recorded history. Thank goodness exemptions were made for medical and defence products (plus some others) otherwise we'd all be living in caves using leeches and making stone axes, all we have to account for is the telly and all other electronic items only lasting the guarantee period plus 'a bit'

There is an entire industry that takes brand new traceable lead free electronic components, strips off all the lead free solder, tins them with leaded solder and then repackages them on reels for series production of reliable kit. Can't sell any of it to Joe Public though, it's far too 'dangerous' the lead could kill and 'cause birth defects in the state of california'

I've heard a common failure mode with the c-tek intelligent charger clones sold by Lidl & Aldi is the one moving part, the push button switch, which could be down to moisture or flux ingress. Touch wood not had an issue with that here.

Thread: A Big Treat coming for Readers of MEW
03/10/2018 15:29:02
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2018 11:34:06:

Cloud systems allow the software vendor to know what use people are making of the package so they can see when someone should be paying more or identify marketing opportunities.

Obviously different packages will suit different people, but I suspect you are exactly the sort of user Alibre are looking for!

Really the cloud should be nothing more than storage, but we all know it isn't. Somewhere, somehow we sign away rights so someone, usually the likes of Google can pillage our emails and search history and everything else we do online to force 'targetted' adverts upon us. Once upon a time google's doctrine was 'do no evil' they somehow forgot that a long time ago. Adblockers and no-scripting and even things like the TOR browser help somewhat.

With CAD & CAM they give us lots of 'cool' functionality sometimes 'for free' but that comes with a creeping intrusion into the very soul of a company or inventor. Even though I use F360 I really do not want Autodesk to know at all that I'm thinking of making product x with machine Y and months or years before product x is manufactured they know so much about product X they can cross reference me to public records or browsing history or whatever.

You'd hope with GDPR and the severe penalties it brings then things would be secure and free from prying eyes but I doubt it really is. Yet with ideas and designs in the cloud you should be secure from that sudden, sunday afternoon on the sofa laptop hard disk crash that wipes out months or years worth of work and takes down a fledgling company (or even a mature one with flaky IT infrastructure)

I've had Alibre trials in the past, never stuck with it because of the learning curve and lots of other things that need more of my attention that by the time it might have been useful the low cost of entry had simply evaporated and slinging 400 quid as opposed to the 99 quid it was a few months earlier was way beyond justifiable.

This extended trial might even persuade me to get a subscription to MEW

03/10/2018 10:37:45
Posted by Muzzer on 02/10/2018 18:53:47:

There was another factor that caused me to stop using my works Solidworks licence - the longer I used it, the more work would be at risk of loss unless I were eventually to buy a license myself, at vast initial (and eyewatering ongoing "maintenance" costs. This greedy behaviour on the part of Solidworks is of course the very opportunity that the Fusion team is capitalising on.

I downloaded the 2018 version of the 'free' Solidworks eDrawings Viewer a while ago as the previous version became incapable of handling newer file versions. To enable the download they require all your contact details regardless of if you are using the viewer commercially or at home (in hindsight 'fake' details with a disposable email address might have worked) . Since then the sales rep has contacted me several times by email wanting to run a demo 'at my premises' and now they are in contact yet again offering three years interest free credit on a Solidworks licence.

In contrast despite 'using' Fusion 360 for a long time there have so far been no attempts to get me to pay to upgrade.

But ultimately I wouldn't trust any software that relies on 'the cloud' nor indeed any software that requires an activation process or a dongle and I'm not sure the 'free' use model for F360 will remain forever. While cloud storage may be useful in backup capability and flexibility in location of use it can also go very wrong with designs lost or leaked.

For most use cases just sell high quality properly debugged software to me on durable media, that I can copy myself, at a reasonable price, if necessary give me a key that will never ever expire regardless of any hardware upgrades I make, giving me software on a platform that will be around as long as I decide. If it's complicated enough to use then provide a support forum that is free to use and above all make your sales people simply go away until I decide I want to 'upgrade'.

Thread: How much do Colchester spares cost ?
02/10/2018 10:29:41

One thing I heard about car spares (at least those made by Ford) was the price was set, a batch was produced and as long as that stock lasted at the central warehouse the price stayed essentially the same, without an annual escalator. Once the part required manufacturing again, even on the self same tooling, a whole new price was established. Something, I can't recall exactly what, it may have been a gearbox synchro ring used on a Ford box fitted to a Caterham 7 went from about 3 quid to about 40 quid 'overnight' about 20 years ago. The original parts had been around in their hundreds if not thousands since the 1970's

Some low volume car manufacturers liquidate their excess spares stock 'at or around cost' or even a few percentage points above scrap value a few years down the line. But you can guarantee it's never all the bits you really need

Edited By Martin 100 on 02/10/2018 10:30:26

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest