By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor 🇳🇴

Here is a list of all the postings Thor 🇳🇴 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New WARCO machinery
24/06/2013 06:01:58

Hi Rik,

you have used the available space very well. I am sure you will enjoy youre nbew machinery. My slightly bigger lathe makes quite a bit of noise when running.

Thor

Thread: Unimat 3 vertical milling column
21/06/2013 05:37:12

Hi James,

i don't have the 3 version, but an older one. On this the total length of the column is nearly 300mm.

It seems that you can buy the mill/drill attachment from Pro Machine Tools if you want a new one.

Thor

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill - 001
18/06/2013 05:49:26

Hi Ed,

first time I have heard that the gear change knob has jumped out of position. On my slightly large milling machine there is a spring loaded ball that holds the knob in Hi or Lo position. Never experienced any movement of that knob on my machine. Your sound proofing sounds interesting.

Thor

Thread: Pipe bending
16/06/2013 06:56:53

Hi Brian,

sorry I forgot to link to the plan, glad Andy solved that. Here's another plan for another tube bender. Roy, if you can get Woods metal that works well for filling the tubes before bending.

Thor

15/06/2013 20:23:37

Hi Mike,

If you want to buy one may be this will be OK? You can of course build your own tube bender. You may have to fill the tubes with salt or something before bending. This will reduce the chance of the pipe collapsing when bending. Place the tube in water after bending to dissolve the salt.

Thor

Thread: Anyone wear Vari-focal specs?
15/06/2013 06:21:47

Hi Ed,

I too have used varifocals for over a decade. As Sid and Andy says, it takes some time to get used to them. For most of my work I use my varifocal glasses, sometimes for small work a magnifying lamp in addition since I also need more light. I guess that's getting old.

Thor

Thread: Machining rubber.
14/06/2013 18:09:47

Hi Mike,

I too have tried to turn and drill rubber (hard kind), and as Gray says, use sharp tools. Haven't tried freezing, must try that next time.

Thor

Thread: Large lathe centre
10/06/2013 17:08:53

Hi Baldric,

if you have a chuck or 4-jaw turning a soft centre is no problem, mild steel (like EN 3) should do the job when skimmed before use.

Thor

Thread: Oils.
09/06/2013 18:30:04

Hi Alan,

if your headstock bearings is lubricated with oil, a socalled "hydraulic oil" with an ISO VG of 32 could be used (Shell Tellus, Esso Nuto etc.). I assume you use a "slideway oil" like Shell Tonna (ISO VG 68) on the ways?

Regards

Thor

Thread: BA and MOD D.P. change wheels for modern boxford lathe
07/06/2013 18:18:55

Hi Steve,

to upload photos to this site you click "My photos" in the My account window. Then click "Create a Photo Album", give the album a name and the click Add Photo.

Regards

Thor

Edited By Thor on 07/06/2013 18:19:22

Thread: VFD for Mini Lathe
07/06/2013 05:14:01

Hi Neil,

Your VFD project sounds interesting, I have a lathe that I plan to put a 3-phase motor and inverter on. I am looking forward to hear about your rebuild.

Thor

Thread: Church Redman Lathe Gears
04/06/2013 14:03:01

Hi Anthony,

I have made extra change gears (module 1) for my Emco lathe. I used homemade cutters and a homemade dividing head. The process isn't difficult. Ivan Law's book: Gears and Gear Cutting explains both the theory behind gears and how to make gear cutters and gears.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 04/06/2013 14:03:33

02/06/2013 06:33:43

Hi Rik, congratulations with your new WM 16. Sorry to hear about your troubles getting it to run. The micro switch in the chuck guard gave me trouble to, had to open it up and adjust it to work correctly.

Thor

Thread: Colchester Student Lathe
31/05/2013 05:54:40

Hi Frank,

when your membership in the Colchester Yahoo group is approved there is a manual for Colchester Student (from 1967) in the Files section. This is probably for an older model than yours.

You should be able to buy one from lathes.co.

Thor

29/05/2013 18:01:56

Hi Frank,

have you tried asking the ColchesterLathe-User group on Yahoo? They may be able to help you.

Regards

Thor

Thread: descaling steel
27/05/2013 13:32:38

Tony, if you add sodium carbonate gradually to the residue until it stops fizzing it should be a neutral or slightly alkaline salt solution that you can dispose of in the drain. And as you say, 10L is a small amount and when diluted poses no problem.

Thor

27/05/2013 11:58:06

Thanks for a handy tip John, where I live hot rolled steel (similar to your A36?) is readily available and I use it fairly often. I suppose you use rubber gloves and eye protection when handling HCl.

Thor

Thread: Adjustable Tool Rest for my 8" Bench Grinder
27/05/2013 06:02:20

Hi Chris,

the tool rest doesn't look quick and dirty to me. Seems to be adjustable in all needed ways? Nice work.

Paul, thew handles you suggests are exactly what I used on mine, they work very well.

Thor

Thread: download
25/05/2013 05:48:46

Hi Mike,

not sure if you can download digital issues directly, but in the Magazine viewer there is a "Print this page" option at the top. If you have installed a "PDF printer" on your computer you can print a page to PDF that is stored on your computer. You will get separate PDF files for each page.

Thor

23/05/2013 05:49:53

Geir, I think a 6" RT should fit well on a HBM BF25, I have the same milling machine and a 4" RT that I think is on the small side. So I am trying to make a slightly larger rotary table - 120mm(almost 5" - after a description found here.

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest