By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor 🇳🇴

Here is a list of all the postings Thor 🇳🇴 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to choose a high quality end mill cutter?
29/03/2022 08:20:58

Hi David,

I too use HSS Cobalt cutters on my milling machine. If you want good cutters and don't mind the price I would say Dormer or other brand name cutters. I have also used the cutters from ARC that Jason mentioned and they work well. After I made a toolgrinder to grind the cutting teeth on my endmills and slotdrills I have used cheaper unbranded cutters made in Asia. Carbide cutters are used to remove the hard skin on castings or when working on hot rolled stell.

Thor

Thread: Boxford newbie
27/03/2022 07:53:46

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I too can recommend the book. As said, you should be able to cut metric threads provided you have the correct change gears. There is more about your lathe at lathes.co.uk, and you should be able to buy changewheels from them too. There is a Boxford user group here, and a metric conversion chart.
 Does your lathe have a L00 taper spindle?

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 27/03/2022 08:02:33

Thread: Finding things
26/03/2022 05:48:55

I understand I'm not the only one having trouble remembering where I put things.

Thor

Thread: boiler treatment?
24/03/2022 14:58:23

Hi Terry,

Link to previous thread:

***Link***

Thor

Thread: hi from durham
24/03/2022 07:57:27

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum, lotsof helpful guys here.

Thor

Thread: Using kerosene to clean ground surfaces
24/03/2022 07:54:10

Kerosene will work but doesn't smell very nice and isn't good for your health. Wipe it off and apply a thine fim of oil.

Thor

Thread: setting up new hobby shop
23/03/2022 18:18:58

Hi Jordan,

Welcome to the forum. If you can find a second-hand Myford in good condition at a good price you will get a lathe that it is easy to find accessories for. If you don't have much experience with lathes and don't have anyone who can advice you on a second hand lathe 's condition, a new Chinese lathe may be best. I own a Chinese lathe and it has worked well for a decade. Remember, in addition to the lathe you need tools, measuring equipment etc. that will eat into your budget.

Thor

Thread: Which angle plate for Myford?
23/03/2022 07:34:41

Nice lathe dogs Hopper, I guess you don't mind if I copy them.

Thor

23/03/2022 04:57:23

I too use a home made angle plate on the lathe faceplate, I made my angle plate to suit my lathe faceplate and I made a curved edge to match the faceplate. It gets used quite often. I have also made my own lathe dogs, not difficult if you have access to a milling machine, could also be filed to shape.

lathedog_010.jpg

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 23/03/2022 04:58:29

Thread: SAE 1144 Stressproof
22/03/2022 08:03:15

Doesn't the SAE 1144 steel have a bit more Manganese than EN8/9 and around 0.2% Sulphur so it is free-cutting? Similar to what we call 44SMn28.

Thor

Thread: Setting up a Warco BH600G
21/03/2022 15:03:14

Hi Michael,

The manual for my lathe recommends Mobilgear 627 for the gearbox, after three months I replaced the oil with ATF transmission fluid because it was readily available where I live. I assume hydraulic oil would work too, doesn't the manual say which lubricants to use?

Thor

Thread: Setting up my workshop
21/03/2022 14:53:43

That is a very nice workshop, good luck with the Stuart.

Thor

Thread: Stuart 10V - rust in valve chest
20/03/2022 14:13:17

If you run your engines on compressed air you might use an in-line oiler like this. This will lubricate not only the Valve system but also the Piston. A Displacement Lubricator needs steam to work properly.

Thor

Thread: Which bonding agent
20/03/2022 07:35:53

I have always used epoxy both for Aluminium and mild steel. Yes, it can be a bit messy, use disposable gloves. Loctite do have epoxy, see here.

Thor

Thread: What is the Box on top of motor
18/03/2022 16:06:00

Hi Adrian,

Welcome to the forum. How to post photos here. My guess is you are right it is a capacitor problem, one place to look is here.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 18/03/2022 16:06:34

Thread: Setting up a Warco BH600G
18/03/2022 15:58:40
Posted by Michael Smith 26 on 18/03/2022 15:28:39:

On the VFD - mine is a single phase - from what I've read I won't be able to fit a VFD without also switching to a 3ph motor, is that correct?

You usually need a 3ph motor if you want to run it from a VFD (inverter), you may find inverters that can drive single phase motors, but probably at a higher price. I bought a 3ph motor for my lathe when I installed an inverter.

Thor

Thread: Hello all.
18/03/2022 11:35:19

Hi Stewart,

Welcome to the forum.

Thor

Thread: Step Turning Carburettor Needles - Video
17/03/2022 17:28:42

I had no problem viewing the video, about what I do when turning down small diameter rods.

Thor

Thread: Changing my Email client
16/03/2022 14:57:34

I have used Thunderbird for many years, works for me.

Thor

Thread: Chuck backplate from steel weldment?
16/03/2022 07:14:27

Hi Mike,

I have done the same as you want to do, mount a 3-jaw SC chuck on my Rotary Table. I used a 10mm thick plate of mild steel. I drilled 4 holes so it could bemounted on my RT, first I drilled tapping size holes and tapped them. Then I could mount the workpiece on the lathe faceplate and face each side and turn the spigot for the chuck. I have used this chuck for over a decade. Good luck.

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest