By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor

Here is a list of all the postings Thor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making a Start in FreeCAD
20/06/2019 12:34:32

Following Dave's excellent tutorial I tried to make a model of something useful, a tray for my ER 16 collets. A friend of mine has access to a 3D printer where he works. I haven't tried printing the model as my friend is on summer vaccation.

er16collettray.jpg

I have tried to write an explanation of what I did here, probably many errors so I assume I will have to revise it.

Thor

20/06/2019 11:16:38

Hi Kiwi Bloke,

I am trying to understand FreeCAD and have found a few tutorials that you may find helpful:

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

***Link*** (manual)

Thor

19/06/2019 15:55:11

Thanks Dave, will be following with interest.

Thor

Thread: Precision Metal Pen Oiler
18/06/2019 13:44:56

Hi Jim,

Those Pen Oilers are very handy, I have had mine for many years and use it when I need to oil my model steam engines.

Thor

Thread: Lathe Speed - What am I missing out on?
18/06/2019 05:17:16

Hi Jim,

On my old lathe I do adjust the belt to get different speeds, low speed when turning large diameter jobs since I get more torque and high speed when turning small diameter jobs or brass/alloy to get the job done a bit more quickly.

Thor

Thread: Meek screwcutting dog-clutch
16/06/2019 14:52:04

Hi Gray,

Congratulation, excellent job as usual. I'm impressed how you have managed to fit it inside the rear cover.

Thor

Thread: Carbide inserts tool holders.
16/06/2019 05:36:06

Hi Dave,

On the few holders I have come across I was able to mill the holder down using a carbide tipped cutter, would probably be possible with a HSS cutter but the edge might need grinding afterwards.

Thor

Thread: Material storage fpr Lathe/other machines
13/06/2019 05:47:16

Hi Robert,

A very nice solution, and as Bazyle says, that is a clean and tidy workshop.

Thor

Thread: New vice, good choice?
11/06/2019 18:00:14

I have got two screwless vices and are very satisfied with mine. They are not to large for my milling machine.

Tnor

Thread: 4 jaw chucks
10/06/2019 06:04:25

Hi Arckivio,

When I installed a smaller 4-jaw independent chuck on my small lathe I already had a backplate with the correct register diameter, but with 3 mounting holes. So I simply put a mounting bolt in one in one of the holes in the backplate and used one of the 4 holes in the 4-jaw, then I could use the backplate as a drilling jig to mark the position of two new holes at the back of the chuck and drill and tap those two holes. Saved me some work and time, I agree 4 bolts would have been better but a couple of the holes would have interfered with the bolts that mount the backplate to the lathe mandrel. It has worked well for several years.

Thor

Thread: Cardibe inserts
07/06/2019 13:09:17

Hi Dave,

Some of the inserts I have has a small hole in the centre, they are intended for holders with a short pin on the underside of the bridge clamp (see Ian's post), the pin prevents the insert from moving when taking heavy cuts (well, so I was told when I bought the inserts). May be yours can be used in a similar holder.

Thor

Thread: Coolant Flow Rates
06/06/2019 13:15:00

Hi Nigel,

I too usually turn and mill without using coolant. When using HSS tools without coolant I run at a somewhat slower speed than the tool manufacturer recommends as their speeds are for industrial machines with flood coolant.

Thor

Thread: What are you using for Lathe Way Oil?
02/06/2019 11:48:20

I too use ISO 68 way oil since a friend gave me a 4L can, before that I used mineral based chainsaw oil mixed with a plain ISO 68 oil. The carriage seems to move slightly more smoothly using proper way oil.

Thor

Thread: How often do you oil your lathe ways?
01/06/2019 06:23:19

I do pretty much the same as Hopper do, lubricate the ways at the start of the session, afterwards I clean the ways and add a few drops of oil.

Thor

Thread: Do you wear a mask grinding HSS tool bits?
28/05/2019 13:10:38

I have to admit that I don't wear a dust mask if I'm only touching up a tool, as Neil said. For grinding a HSS toolbit to shape I wear a dust mask. Inhaling a lot of fine dust particles isn't healthy.

Thor

Thread: Replacement Type cross slide nut.
27/05/2019 04:37:49

Nice work David, did you back off the cutting edges of the tap?

Thor

Thread: Service received
26/05/2019 06:34:39

I too have ordered metals from M-Machine several times and have always been satisfied with their service.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 26/05/2019 06:39:21

Thread: Childhood diseases
23/05/2019 12:50:22

Hi Danny,

You can get measles outbreaks in areas with low vaccination coverage, for instance from non-vaccinated visitors, and vaccination causes less trouble than getting measles. If you are vaccinated or had measles as a child you should be well protected. A high vaccination coverage against childhood diseases is an effective way of preventing outbreaks.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 23/05/2019 12:57:33

Thread: Mini-Lathe setup for an absolute beginner?
21/05/2019 13:45:44

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

1. Many model engineers use a Mini-Lathe for their work, so I guess it might be sensible for you to buy one.

2. I have bought several items from ArcEuroTrade and have always received excellent service, I don't think
you need to worry.

3.Brushless motors should be Ok.

4. The older Mini-Lathes with a brushed motor sometimes had controller problems. I have an old Mini-Mill
(same brushed motor and controller as older Mini-Lathes as far as I know) that is over a decade old and
have had no problems.

4. I live in a country that adopted the metre convention in 1875 so I would say a metric lathe, others may
have a different opinion.

5. For cutting aluminium and plastic HSS tools should do Ok, I myself use both Carbide and HSS tools
depending on the job at hand.

I am old and have back troubles so I wouldn't carry it up a flight of stairs alone, I would ask a friend to assist me. Good luck.

Thor

Thread: Potty Mill engine materials list wanted
21/05/2019 06:16:38

Hi John,

I can't remember having seen a materials list (someone else will probably point you in the right direction), but there is a Parts List on this drawing set.

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest