By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor 🇳🇴

Here is a list of all the postings Thor 🇳🇴 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lapping in a lathe
27/01/2022 04:43:26

Hi Danny,

I do much the same as you, cover the bedways and clean up afterwards. I wrap the inside of the chuck with clingfilm and of course clean up afterwards, so far the chucks seems not to have suffered.

Thor

Thread: Scratch building
26/01/2022 17:11:13

Hi Derek,

Several of the models I have built were from stock materials, and some from my own drawings. I also get inspiration from other builds or models and adapt them to the equipment and materials I have. Diesel engines is not my main interest though.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 26/01/2022 17:12:32

Thread: Milling machine, but which brand ?
25/01/2022 12:55:36

Congratulations with your new Sieg SX3.5, let us know how you get on with your new toy.

Thor

Thread: Adcock Shipley 2s milling machine
25/01/2022 04:40:11

Hi Roger,

Congratulations with you "new" toy. If you don't have the manual, you may be able to get one from lathes.co.uk. May be this links can help with the clutch?

***Link***

Thor

Thread: Ancient Minting Technology?
24/01/2022 16:57:43

A bit more info about minting here and here.

Thread: skip find box of slot drills
24/01/2022 12:49:29

Hi Jon,

Congratulations, to me the milling cutters look like new. If not sharp you should be able to grind the cutting edge.

Thor

Thread: Advanced Grinding Rest
22/01/2022 15:58:00

Hi Thomas,

Looks good so far, are you going to make the holder for sharpening HSS lathe tools, sharpening end mills etc.?

Thor

Thread: Lathe change gears vs gearbox
20/01/2022 19:18:33

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum. My small lathe is without a gearbox but I don't cut threads that often so it is not a problem for me to set up the correct change wheels for the few threads I cut. If you often cut threads with different pitches a gearbox is very handy and it will also be easy to set different feedrates. If you can find a Boxford Model A or a Bantam in good condition and at a reasonable price you will get a good lathe.

Thor

Thread: Sharpening Lathe Tools
20/01/2022 15:17:48

Hi Peter,

When your ordinary HSS tools has been sharpened so many times that the cutting edge is almost gone you have to grind "the shape" back. And yes, it takes a considerable amount of grinding, if you are handy and careful with the angle grinder I suppose it is possible. That amount of grinding it takes to get an ordinary tool back to shape is not necessary with a tangential tool, and is one reason my tangential tools get used a lot. I tend to use carbide tipped tools for roughing and the HSS tools for the finishing cuts.

Thor

20/01/2022 13:58:24

Hi Peter,

I assume you want to resharpen HSS tools. I mainly use a tangential HSS tool in addition to HSS parting off tools. I grind both as when they were new and then touch up the cutting edge with a stone or diamond hone. On other HSS tools I grind the edge that get worn, but eventually you will have to grind to shape tool.

Thor

Thread: New Toy
18/01/2022 06:16:25

Very nice David -- amazing what a CNC engraver can do. I assume you created the pattern.

Thor

Thread: C3 Minilathe Electrical Fault - Fixed
16/01/2022 14:12:23

Hi Danny,

The same happened to my Minimill a few years after I bought it. The bottom of the fuse holder had broken and I remember the loose wire. I had another fuse holder - same external dimensions - so I just replaced the broken one with the new one. Everything has worked without problems since, that is over a decade.

Thor

Thread: For newcomers
16/01/2022 06:09:05

Hi Steve,

I have to admit that a Coaxial Centring Indicator was the last thing I bought for my milling machine. The first things I bought or made were collet chuck, T-nuts, studs and clamps in addition to a vice and some parallels. I already had some measuring tools including a Dial Test Indicator, I ave bought (or made) tools as I needed them.

Thor

Thread: Filing finish on castings.
15/01/2022 06:36:30

Hi James,

I have just accepted that the areas of the casting that has been filed or sanded down may have a different appearance. Spray on putty works well for me so if you want a smooth surface follow Paul's advice. Good luck with your 10H. Check Harold Hall's website about machining the Stuart 10.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 15/01/2022 06:39:26

Thread: X2 mini miller
14/01/2022 16:44:14

Hi Rob,

If you are going to fabricate the parts yourself, you can measure on your own machine. Neil did replace the ball bearings with AC bearings in addition to installing the belt drive. There is another description here (and others here and here), I don't know how well that helps you.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 14/01/2022 16:45:39

14/01/2022 15:23:48

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. You can do a search on this site.

Have you found these on the Internet?

***Link***

***Link***

Thor

Thread: Lathe tooling
13/01/2022 10:32:21

Hi Colin,

The Craftsman is a larger lathe than mine, but I use either 6mm square tool-bits or 8mm on my lathe. It takes less time to grind a 6mm tool-bit than a 12mm. I also use lathe tools with carbide inserts, they make it possible to machine the hard scale that may be on castings or black steel, the HSS tools can then be used for finishing cuts. I assume you have a drill chuck that suits the lathe tailstock and centre drills, a Dial Indicator is also very handy when centring work in a four-jaw independent chuck.

Thor

Thread: Milling machine, but which brand ?
13/01/2022 10:11:07

The Sieg SX3.5ZP is a nice milling machine with a motor to lift the head and with powerfeed. If I didn't already have a milling machine from Weiss, the Sieg would be of interest to me. A friend of mine owns a SX3 and is very happy with his.

Thor

Thread: Are standard "M4" nuts & bolts normally fine or course pitch?
13/01/2022 06:42:03
Posted by John Smith 47 on 12/01/2022 23:35:10:

. . . .

J

EDIT: As a rule of thumb, how much smaller should the hole that I drill be if I am going to tap it? At these sizes would 0.5mm smaller suffice?
e.g. If I am going to fit a M4 bolt should I use a 3.5mm drill?
And if I am going to fit a M5 bolt should I use a 4.5mm drill?

Edited By John Smith 47 on 12/01/2022 23:46:36

Hi John,

Harold Hall has a very good page on tapping drill sizes, and he gives various depths. You can get data for both Metric, BA and ME threads. I use about 75% for softer materials and somewhat less for harder materials.

Thor

Thread: New lathe options
12/01/2022 15:16:39
Posted by Rob Wheatley on 12/01/2022 14:00:13:

. . .

Thor, is it the amadeal 290 you have? Looked at the Warco one but £3995 is a bit too much.

No Rob, I bought mine from a Norwegian dealer who gets lathes and milling machines from HBM in the Netherlands, and it is 10 years old

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest