By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor

Here is a list of all the postings Thor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
28/09/2020 14:39:58

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your "new" lathe. What kind of DRO do you want, there are several price classes, see here or here.

Thor

Thread: Emco V10p
24/09/2020 03:52:48

Hi Neil,

I have sent you a PM

Thor

22/09/2020 04:07:03

Hi Neil,

There is a emcoV10lathe group at groups.io that may give you more information.

Thor

Thread: Quick bolt Reserve Factor Calculator
21/09/2020 16:06:46

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the data on the smaller sizes.

Thor

20/09/2020 05:24:53

Thanks Richard

Thread: Rotary Table 3 or 4 slot?
18/09/2020 14:39:25

My Rotary Tables all have 4 slots, so 4 slots get my vote too. A friend of mine has a RT with 3 slots and he wishes it had 4.

Thor

Thread: piston metal
17/09/2020 14:51:32

Hi Phil,

I have been using pistons made from free-cutting stainless steel (303) in gunmetal cylinders in several of my steam engines and that has worked well so far. Gunmetal may not be quite the same as bronze, bronze would probably be a bit harder.

Thor

Thread: Marking out blueing or pens?
17/09/2020 07:16:04

I use both marker pens and layout blue. For laying out just a few lines or points the marker pens are very convenient, if laying out lines that will be used later on during several machining processes I use the more permanent layout blue.

Thor

Thread: Milling Machine Identification
14/09/2020 10:11:10

Hi Paul,

If the Chester Champion is as heavy as the Warco ZX15 it weighs around 135kg. I don't know this particular model but I assume it should be easy to dismantle the head. I did that when I moved my milling machine (of similar weight) into my workshop. I did have the help of a younger (and stronger) friend, but it was not difficult to move. To get the mill into a van you could slide it up a couple of 2x4 wooden beams. Take care so you don't need a visit to your GP afterwards.

Thor

PS. Found this on the web.

Edited By Thor on 14/09/2020 10:14:14

Thread: multi sided carbide tool recommendations steel, stainless, Iron?
14/09/2020 05:45:47

Hi Jon,

I use TPUN or similar that gives me three cutting edges, it was the first holder I got so the next tool I made was for the same carbide tips. Like Vic I use a HSS tangential tool for much of my turning jobs.

Thor

Thread: clutch
13/09/2020 16:38:18

Hi Phil,

The clutch was discussed earlier on this forum, here are some of the links if you haven't already found them.

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

Thor

Thread: Bench block for small parts - ice hockey puck
11/09/2020 16:37:12

I used hockey pucks to make levelling feet for my lathe several years ago. Here is a photo of I took during the fabrication (not yet finished):

hbm_08s.jpg

The pucks are easy to machine and has served me well for many years.

Thor

Thread: Steel stock for newbie ???
11/09/2020 06:43:27

Hi Ian,

Much good advice given in the previous posts. I too buy materials from Kennions and M-Machine. If you want to make steam engines you can of course buy sets with castings and you will get all (or most of) the materials you need. If you want to make your steam engines from stock material you may also need some Cast Iron, Brass or Leaded Gunmetal (LG2) for making the cylinder, glands, Steam Chest and so on. For steam engines mainly running on compressed air I use Cast Iron for the cylinder and piston. For steam engines that I run on steam I use LG2 for the cylinder and makes the piston and piston-rod from free-cutting stainless steel (303), I also use the same material for the slide-valve and rod. Reduces the chances of corrosion. Good luck with your engines.

Thor

Thread: Picador Type Drill Grinding Jig Modifications
10/09/2020 17:38:45
Posted by Paul Fallert on 10/09/2020 15:13:58:

I have the Picador clone, Sears Craftsman 9-6677, 6* tilt toward wheel.

The link to Graham Meek's fix for tilted pivot is #404, aka quarantined.

I have the 180* stop and adjustable base micrometer-style mod implemented.

Should the drill bit cutting faces be vertical (align with parting line of tray casting) or 11 to 5 ? I noticed that the tray parting vertical line is not 90* to the Horizon (or my own instinct of vertical), but the parting line of course is constant, no matter how you look at or move the face of the bit.

Should a V insert be used to raise the bit above the tray on larger bits, or just a shim to shift the bit toward or away from the pivot axis? Or washers added between the base and compass to shift the axis?

Locating the tip of the bit at 12 on the clock (wheel) seems to deal with getting the grind to 90* to face.

Thanks for any help in locating Graham Meeks fix or for answering my questions. This is one of the best forums.

I am encouraged by how close I'm getting with all of the Forum suggestions and links, except this #404. I have no access to EIM.

Paul

It seems that Gray's article on the modelengineeringwebsite.com has been removed, may be moved to a DVD.

The link to to Gray''s posts on the MEM forum works for me, and should give much the same information. I have sent you a PM.

Thor

Thread: Boring bars
09/09/2020 05:28:37

Hi Steve,

As Paul says, a bigger boring bar is more rigid. I too use several sizes and made a toolholder for my QCTP that will take round boring bars up to 14mm dia. I usually use boring bars with HSS toolbits.

hbm290toolhboring_05.jpg

Thor

Edited By Thor on 09/09/2020 05:29:40

Thread: What does a tool look like?
06/09/2020 07:13:05

Hi Malcolm,

There are a few websites and PDF's you can download that describes turning, speeds and feeds and the tools used:

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

***Link***

Thor

Thread: Emco 8.6 - Tumble Reverse Position for Screwcutting?
04/09/2020 16:40:51

Hi Avery,

Here is an explanation on how to create Albums and post photos.

Thor

03/09/2020 18:24:35

Hi Avery,

Welcome to the forum. There is a spare parts list here. You may be able to buy a manual from lathes.co.uk.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 03/09/2020 18:25:56

Thread: Boiler
30/08/2020 18:30:26

Hi Kevin,

There is one free plan of a vertical boiler here, might be a bit smaller than you want.

You should also find some build logs here.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 30/08/2020 18:38:37

Thread: Hoffman dividing head
30/08/2020 13:21:56

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. It seems Hoffman is still in business, have you tried to contact them? Lathes.co might have a manual.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 30/08/2020 13:25:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest