By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor

Here is a list of all the postings Thor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello from the Pacific Northwest
16/04/2021 06:29:48

Hi Zeb,

Welcome to the forum, as a toolmaker you should be able to give advice.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 16/04/2021 06:30:10

Thread: GHT VDH Versatile Dividing Head
11/04/2021 05:24:48

Hi Michael,

Above this thread there is a black band with the words: Home - Features - etc, go to Classifieds and click on it and then you can place a For sale or Wanted ad.

Thor

Thread: ER40 collet nut seized
09/04/2021 05:06:38

Hi Tony,

First time I have heard about an ER collet nut that has locked up. I do apply a drop of oil to the threads and have never had any problems with the ER chucks I have.

Thor

Thread: LED Tubes in the workshop
09/04/2021 04:57:18

Hi Dave,

I too replaced the fluorescent tubes in my workshop several years ago with Led replacement tubes for the same reasons as you. Mine were not as cheap as yours but they do last longer than the fluorescent tubes, I haven't replaced any of the LED's yet.

Thor

Thread: Recommended suppliers and services
07/04/2021 05:31:27

Hi Pete,

I have used Arceurotrade, Warco and Chester for some of the tools I have bought, and I'm satisfied with the products. For materials I have used M-Machine Metals and Engineering and GRLKennions.

Thor

Thread: Milling Vice Location
06/04/2021 04:58:43

I too put the vice at one end, the other end is used for my indexer or rotary table. I tend to move the table towards the middle when the milling machine is not in use.

Thor

Thread: Little nuts.......big fingers.
28/03/2021 18:08:25

Thanks for the tip Rik, you are not the only one who struggles with small nuts.

Thor

Thread: A home-made gear - will it work?
24/03/2021 05:33:54

Hi Tim,

A few years ago I made a 28T gear for the thread indicator on my 290 lathe. I used Delrin and set the dividing head to match the helix angle of the leadscrew, my homemade gear has worked well. So your procedure should work, good luck.

Thor

Thread: Pictures in posts and font sizes.
18/03/2021 12:47:32

Hi Phil,

Your pictures must be in .JPG format (you should be able to convert your .BMP to JPG using for instance GIMP), posting pictures is explained here.

Thor

PS  This was written in LibreOffice Writer and pasted into this post using Ctrl V on the keyboard

LibreOffice Writer

Text imported into ME forum post using the Word paste icon

Edited By Thor on 18/03/2021 13:00:13

Thread: Eccentric Engineering T-blade parting tool: A+
17/03/2021 09:30:18

I got one of these T-shaped parting off blades from Chronos a few years ago, and it works well. I made a special holder for the blade with room for the wider part at the top.

Thor

Thread: DTI's Its all in the name
06/03/2021 17:05:49

I have a Mitutogo, same as David's. Mine too has served me well for almost a decade and sice I use it to compare, not absolute measurements it is good value.

Thor

Thread: SouthBend 9 Model A (NAR10) - Instruction Manual
03/03/2021 16:52:38

There is a Parts List here, this document is from US Army and covers both 9 and 10 lathes.

Thor

Thread: S275 steel machinability
01/03/2021 04:46:29

Hi Robin,

S275 is a weldable, non alloyed structural steel, I often use hot rolled S355 steel and have no problems machining it. It is not as machinable as EN1a or EN1a Pb so I use a carbide tipped tool for the roughing cut and switches to HSS for the finishing cut. S275 should be similar, might tear a bit more easily so use sharp tools.
The scale on the hot rolled steel can be quite abrasive but the carbide tools can cope with that. You can of course, dip the work in acid to get rid of the scale, and then sodium bicarbonate solution to neutralize the acid before rinsing and machining.

Thor

Thread: Cutting Oil Fumes
27/02/2021 05:13:37

Inhaling cutting oil fumes is not a good idea, an extractor fan as suggested by others is a good idea. I usually cut dry when using carbide tipped tools, except may be for the finishing cut or when cutting difficult materials.

Thor

Thread: Indexable tool insert replacements
26/02/2021 10:44:01

Hi Dave,

I have used inserts from Sandvik and Iscar, expensive but very good. I found a supplier that also had inserts they imported themselves (I don't know from where) at half the price. I tried them and found they were as good as the Sandvik or Iscar insert I had used earlier, so that is what I buy now.

Thor

Thread: ml10 or some other?
19/02/2021 11:58:36

Seems the Speed 10 is in good condition and comes with several extras that the Warco WM 180 doesn't include, so if if the Speed 10 will handle the work you intend to do, the Speed 10 should give you many years of fun in your workshop.

Thor

19/02/2021 11:47:02

A Warco WM 180 is slightly cheaper and with a bit shorter distance between centres, so how much extra tooling do you get with the Speed 10.

Thor

Thread: 8 inch 4 jaw Chuck on WM290 lathe?
16/02/2021 13:31:22

Hi Adan,

Well done, you can now machine large work on your lathe.

Thor

Thread: Jacobs Chuck run out
15/02/2021 13:44:32

Hi Geoff,

26 thou seems very much. My best (keyless) drill chuck (with integral MT 3 shank) is far better than 13 thou (0.33mm). The cheap drill chuck that came with my Mini Mill is about 0.15mm TIR.

Thor

Thread: Help identifying a milling machine
14/02/2021 15:22:05

Hi Björn,

Welcome to the forum. That looks like a very nice milling machine, a "toolmaker" type may be? I assume you have checked lathes.co.uk?

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest