By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor 🇳🇴

Here is a list of all the postings Thor 🇳🇴 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Harrison 155 threading gearbox issue.
15/09/2021 07:43:52

Hi Scott,

Congratulations with your "new" lathe. I don't know if you have already found them, but there are a few Youtube videos here and here, and you may be able to buy a manual from lathes.co.uk.

Seems your model has been discussed here.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 15/09/2021 07:44:15

Thread: Which grade of. bronze
14/09/2021 05:57:34

I have used LG2 for the cylinders of several steam engines I have made, machines nicely.

Thread: cutting threads
11/09/2021 06:19:55

Hi Geoff

There is an explanation of how metric thread dial indicator works here, it is for the Mini-Lathe with 1.5mm pitch leadscrew. Here is a Thread Dial Indicator calculator, it allows you to select different (metric) lathes.

Thor

Thread: Disposal of swarf
03/09/2021 13:47:18

There is a milling, turning and welding shop not far from where I live and the owner allows me to empty my bags of steel swarf and offcuts in his skip.

Thor

Thread: A strangely coloured flame.
02/09/2021 06:14:57

Hi Robin,

This is similar to the "flame tests" we did at school, more info here.

Thor

Thread: Reaming a hole
20/08/2021 09:43:05

Hi Steve,

There is a Reamers Guide here, that I find useful.

Thor

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
19/08/2021 14:03:11

Hi Derek,

Isn't hospital treatment expensive? It certainly is where I live. So if a cyclist is less likely to need medical treatment, might have fewer sick days etc., so wouldn't the UK save money that could be used on other parts of the society? I'm with Jason.

Thor

Thread: going carbide on a Myford
18/08/2021 05:09:18

Hi Brian,

I use both carbide tipped tools and HSS tools. Using carbide tipped tools on a small lathe has not given me any problems, you can get carbide inserts that are ground and polished. They are intended for non-ferrous metals but in my experience they work well also on mild steel. Carbide tipped tools work even if you are taking light cuts at lower speeds than industry uses. If machining castings (or other materials with hard spots) I use carbide for the first cuts and HSS for finishing

Thor

Thread: Link
08/08/2021 05:24:02

Hi Doug,

In the "Post a reply" box there is an icon (red arrow in the screenshot below) that you click.

editbox.jpg

You can then type (or paste) in the link and the clickable text you want to be show in your post.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 08/08/2021 05:25:08

Thread: pH electrodes [advice requested]
07/08/2021 11:09:12

The pH meters I used years ago had a glassbulb electrode that was stored in potassiumchloride solution after use (and cleaning).

Thor

Thread: New Lathe replacement for Myford
06/08/2021 05:01:12

Hi Brian,

I have a 290 type lathe that is nearly 10 years old, so far I have had no problems. It is similar to this one, but no DRO, they have both smaller and larger lathes (all though they may be out of stock). A 280/290 lathe can be moved by a couple of strong men. Another option is to try and find a second hand European made lathe in good condition, will probably be heavier so not so easily moved.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 06/08/2021 05:41:56

Thread: Spotting through, Drilling through & which order
04/08/2021 05:38:33

Hi William,

I do the Steam Chest as you describe, if you have a piece of suitable steel it isn't difficult to make your own transfer punch.

Thor

03/08/2021 15:39:09

Hi William,

When I need to drill holes on a PCD on a cylinder and its cover I start with the Cylinder Cover. I too use calipers to measure the PCD when marking out. I start with the cover and spot and then drill through, I then use the cover as a jig for drilling/tapping holes in the cylinder. After drilling/tapping the first hole in the cylinder I use a temporary screw to clamp the cover to the cylinder before drilling/tapping the next hole. The covers have slipped onto the studs in the cylinder without problems.

Thor

Thread: Tapers
25/07/2021 12:06:00

Hi Peter,

B tapers on chucks are what I find where I live, more info on various tapers here.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 25/07/2021 12:06:17

Thread: Mill startup
14/07/2021 05:42:04

Hi Terry,

I have a milling machine that is similar to yours but slightly smaller capacity. I too got the advice to start (and stop) the machine at the lowest rev. setting and then gradually increase the speed. The machine has worked without problems for nearly a decade.

Thor

Thread: Insert Tip radius?
09/07/2021 13:28:44

I mostly use .4mm radius because it is what is easiest to find where I live. I use 0.8mm when not turning to a shoulder.

Thor

Thread: Help with machining Titanium
04/07/2021 09:40:27

Hi Stuart,

I have tried machining titanium (an Ti alloy used to make bolts), and I too have found it best to do much the same as with stainless steel (like 316). If you have a flood coolant system, use it. As Emgee says, titanium may catch fire and burn. A metal container with dry sand underneath the lathe might be an advantage if the swarf catch fire. Good luck.

Thor

Thread: Cold blue for Aluminium?
27/06/2021 14:27:38

Hi Martin,

I haven't tried it, but this is supposed to work on Aluminium.

Thor

Thread: Which grade of stainless steel
26/06/2021 08:43:47

Hi Joe,

More ino on heat resistance of stainless steel here.

Thor

Thread: My ambitions
24/06/2021 16:43:02

Hi Leslie,

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to see your engines.

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest