By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor

Here is a list of all the postings Thor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Run outs
10/12/2019 13:46:28

Hi Raphael,

I guess it depends on how fast you run your chuck and how accurate your work needs to be. If your Chinese ER chuck has a run out of 0.01mm, I wouldn't complain. I just bought a cheap Chinese ER-16 chuck and it has slightly more run out than yours. The cheap ER collets I have says max run out 0.015mm.

Thor

Thread: Old Lathe Lubrication - oil through a grease nippled?
08/12/2019 15:12:19

Hi Peter,

Not sure I can answer your first question, I just use an oil can like this, if there leakage i put a small piece from a paper towel between the nipple and the oil can spout. This has worked well for several years. For lubrication of plain bearings I just use hydraulic oil (ISO 32).

Thor

Thread: Toolpost dilemma
08/12/2019 06:17:53

Hi Lou,

There are people who have made their own toolholders for the Dickson type toolposts (may be a bit more difficult to make than the Aloris ones):

***Link*** - drawing

***Link*** - making one

***Link*** - making

Thor

Thread: Any users of the 'ModelEngineersUtilities here?
04/12/2019 06:31:11

Hi Hans,

Your screenshot is exactly what I experience on my W.10 laptop. Here's a screenshot when running Win.XP:

me_utilitiescs.jpg

The program works well under Win.XP, and I have tried to tell W.10 to emulate Win.XP when running it, but it still looks like your screenshot. So I have not been able to find a way around the problem, may be others with more computer knowledge can help.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 04/12/2019 06:31:39

03/12/2019 06:03:45

Hi Hans,

I have tried the ME Utilities program on my W.10 computer, I unpacked it as Administrator and tried to run it as Administrator and the main screen pops up without problems, but when trying for instance the "Speeds" part I too get the black backgound and buttons not doing anything. The screwcutting part seems to work OK, so mixed results on my new computer. When I find time I will try it on my old computer running XP.

Thor

Thread: New to model engineering - what solder / flux and annealing question
29/11/2019 05:26:59

Hi Charles,

I anneal copper and brass by heating to dull red using a propane torch in a makeshift hearth. As for cooling, it depends. Cooling in water may cause the part to warp, so for more complicated shapes I let it cool slowly in air. Usually for simple parts I just dip the part in a bucket of water.

Thor

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
22/11/2019 18:28:15

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the photo, yes, smoke can be irritating. I am no blacksmith (or knifesmith) but I occasionally do silver soldering and just use a few firebricks to make a temporary hearth outdoors. I have to wait for nice weather, which you don'tsmiley.

Thor

Thread: Precision Tool Vice Type 2
19/11/2019 04:52:25

Hi Phil,

I have a Type 1 vice from Vertex and I have had no issues with mine. Type 2 is slightly different, a photo of the underside might be an idea.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 19/11/2019 04:56:04

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
18/11/2019 05:35:46

Hi Phil,

I wish I had a forge like yours, unfortunately my workshop is too small to make room for one. Thanks for sharing.

Thor

Thread: New three jaw chuck suggestions
13/11/2019 05:27:55

Another +1 for TOS, it is the best chuck I have.

Thor

Thread: Tramming The WM18 mill head
09/11/2019 16:58:57

Thanks for the tip Chris, I must check if it is possible to do the same on my milling machine.

Thor

Thread: HAS ANYONE MADE A SINE BAR ?
09/11/2019 16:42:28

Hi Richard,

I made a sine table some years ago, look here.

Thor

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
08/11/2019 17:20:47

Hi Iain ,

I have an old milling machine (with a brushed motor) similar to the AMAT25LV, different paintwork. Mine is the long table variety and I like the long table, as I can have a vice at one end and mount something else at the other end. I have had it for seven years and no troubles so far. Mine is with MT3 spindle, today I would have bought it with a R8 spindle. If you can afford and find room for the AMAT45, you will get a heavier machine with a gear head that will give you more torque at low speeds.

Thor

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
31/10/2019 05:27:25

My old lathe came without a chuck guard and I haven't had any problems. When I bought a new lathe it came with a chuck guard and I use it, the guard permits the use of the large diameter faceplate without causing any problems.

Thor

Thread: Boxford metric lead screw fitted to imperial lathe?
26/10/2019 17:52:31

Hi Dave,

I'm assuming you are thinking of Brian Woods book, Gearing of Lathes for Screwcutting?

Thor

Thread: Mike Cox's cone drills in MEW 285 - source?
26/10/2019 06:07:29

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, forgot these from Chronos.

Thor

26/10/2019 05:33:05

Would these do?

Thor

Thread: Bronze bushing
25/10/2019 16:36:00

Hi Martyn

Yes. Seems to me you know what the problem is, I always use "backed-off" or blunted drills on brass/bronze.

Thor

Thread: angle plate
20/10/2019 18:58:34

Michael, you spotted my typo, my old eyes didn't.

Thor

20/10/2019 18:06:20

Harold Hall calls them Cylidrical Squares, they work well.

Thor

(My old fingers aren't quick enough)

Edited By Thor on 20/10/2019 18:08:00

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest